Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 465 of 611
  1. #451
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Wow is right. My eyes kept getting wider and wider, and then they fell out and rolled around the floor. LOL!

    It was like Kieron Gillen's Namor crossed with Hickman's heavy drinking Namor, crossed with Freddie Mercury. It's definitely going to be a ... decisive portrayal among Namor fans.

    I found it amusing and it was full of funny lines.

    "JC, he's Mr. Nimbus, he controls the police!" LOL!
    LOL. I don't watch this show but I did for this episode and it was funny imo.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  2. #452
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    LOL. I don't watch this show but I did for this episode and it was funny imo.
    This was my first episode of the series, and I also found it a funny parody. From a twitter post, Jeff Loverness seems to have an affection for 90s Namor, so perhaps we'll have to add him to possible comic writers. I need to read some of his Marvel comics.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  3. #453
    Keeper of the Torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Posts
    7,198

    Default

    September 2021 solicits are out, just one mention of Namor (and he's not even on the cover I think) that is not in a TPB.

    THE MARVELS #5
    KURT BUSIEK (W) • YILDIRAY CINAR (A) • Cover by ALEX ROSS
    Variant Cover by Mahmud Asrar
    For starters, there’s a Big Little Book. Plus monsters, international mayhem, the arrival of heroes in trouble and a deadly threat for Dr. Strange. And apartment problems, phone calls and an audience with Namor of Atlantis. You know, those kinds of things. Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Storm and more, plus the return of a Golden Age great and…Dakota North? Man, when we say “marvels,” we mean marvels! Don’t miss it — we’d miss you!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  4. #454
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,618

    Default

    Namor fans should check out Fantastic Four Life Story #2

  5. #455
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    Other than amazing art of Namor including the library panel scene, it was just another NamorSue book, which you all know my feelings on that so I'm not commenting.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  6. #456
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    Fantastic Four: Life Story #2, I really love this artist.



    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  7. #457
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,618

    Default

    Feminist ally Namor is an unexpected take on the character.

  8. #458
    Astonishing Member Oberon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Feminist ally Namor is an unexpected take on the character.
    Perhaps, and I've yet to see it. I always felt there was some core of magnanimousness about Namor, that never quite is shown. He's long lived and comes from a civilization that has existed for thousands of years, in a nearly insular fashion.

    He is just more wise than people realize, his age, his seeing the events of this world.
    He knows a pure heart when he sees it.
    I think his rise to anger has been charted well enough: he has quick reactions to things that may lead to expression of temper.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

  9. #459
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    He's long lived and comes from a civilization that has existed for thousands of years, in a nearly insular fashion.
    Wasn't Namor born of an Atlantean-Human romance and his surname is in fact MacKenzie? In Atlantean terms he'd be about 80 to 90, pushing 100, not long-lived by their culture.

  10. #460
    Astonishing Member Oberon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Wasn't Namor born of an Atlantean-Human romance and his surname is in fact MacKenzie? In Atlantean terms he'd be about 80 to 90, pushing 100, not long-lived by their culture.
    It is more of a fan notion, but Namor's birthdate is considered 02/22/1922 - sometimes others, maybe Marvel wiki's say 1920. But 2-22-22 seems so cool and of course make Namor a Pisces for sure, which is very appropriate.

    But that means he is either 101 or 99. Hot-headed Namor headed to the surface and got involved with our wars as an 18 or 20 year old, which seems pretty appropriate too.

    Atlanteans are pretty long lived, I dont' remember the range.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

  11. #461
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Feminist ally Namor is an unexpected take on the character.
    Not really. More than any other Marvel male superhero, Namor's life was driven by the strong women in his life, and he acknowledges that. While Cap and Torch had male sidekicks in the Golden Age, Namor had a Girl Friday in Betty Dean, who was clearly the more mature one in that relationship. His first comic appearance features his amazing mother and an adventurous female cousin.

    In the beginning of the Silver Age he often got saddled by the era's chauvinism expressed as chivalry, especially with Stan Lee, but the women in his life rarely let him get away with that, even back then. I've often thought, that Namor was the first superhero in the Silver Age to actually SEE the Invisible Girl, but clearly as the Invisible Woman -- which fits their mythic relationship.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  12. #462
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Namor fans should check out Fantastic Four Life Story #2
    Thanks for the heads up! I knew he was going to be in this issue, but forgot when it was coming out.


    Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Other than amazing art of Namor including the library panel scene, it was just another NamorSue book, which you all know my feelings on that so I'm not commenting.
    Sean Izaakse does draw a nice Namor. Thanks for posting this images. I love the panel with Namor reading in the library!

    There really wasn't enough of Namor or him and Sue together to be a Namor / Sue book. I thought the last page came out of the blue, given what little happened in the previous pages. I also KNOW Namor doesn't care how Reed feels about his relationship with Sue in ANY universe. LOL! That was completely out of character, and despite the book being told from Sue's PoV, showed it was still about Reed... and his relationship with Doom. ;p

    What's going to be interesting is if this writer is going to trash Namor and his commitment to Sue in future issues?
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  13. #463
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Perhaps, and I've yet to see it. I always felt there was some core of magnanimousness about Namor, that never quite is shown. He's long lived and comes from a civilization that has existed for thousands of years, in a nearly insular fashion.

    He is just more wise than people realize, his age, his seeing the events of this world.
    He knows a pure heart when he sees it.
    I think his rise to anger has been charted well enough: he has quick reactions to things that may lead to expression of temper.
    I think Namor's temper gets in the way of his wisdom at times. I also think modern writers completely disregard his ongoing runs, where he is wise about quite a few things. But Namor definitely has a more long run, historical, and global perspective on things.



    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Wasn't Namor born of an Atlantean-Human romance and his surname is in fact MacKenzie? In Atlantean terms he'd be about 80 to 90, pushing 100, not long-lived by their culture.
    No, Namor doesn't have a surname. The airbreathers give him his father's name, MacKenzie, but the Atlanteans don't seem to have surnames, like that. He has been called Namor Fen Son.

    It's an interesting question. The life expectancy of Atlanteans is longer than airbreathers. As far as Namor compared to other Atlanteans ... well, just about everyone Namor grew up with is dead. His grandfather, his mother, his wife Dorma, his cousin Byrrah, his second cousin Namorita, the Logomancer, maybe Vashti, who really is old. I think Krang and Namora (who was dead since the beginning of the Silver Age) are the only ones left alive, so yes, he's kind of the "old man" of his circle.



    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    It is more of a fan notion, but Namor's birthdate is considered 02/22/1922 - sometimes others, maybe Marvel wiki's say 1920. But 2-22-22 seems so cool and of course make Namor a Pisces for sure, which is very appropriate.

    But that means he is either 101 or 99. Hot-headed Namor headed to the surface and got involved with our wars as an 18 or 20 year old, which seems pretty appropriate too.

    Atlanteans are pretty long lived, I dont' remember the range.
    The life expectancy of the Atlanteans seems to be sliding, as Namor ages. ;p
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  14. #464
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! I knew he was going to be in this issue, but forgot when it was coming out.




    Sean Izaakse does draw a nice Namor. Thanks for posting this images. I love the panel with Namor reading in the library!

    There really wasn't enough of Namor or him and Sue together to be a Namor / Sue book. I thought the last page came out of the blue, given what little happened in the previous pages. I also KNOW Namor doesn't care how Reed feels about his relationship with Sue in ANY universe. LOL! That was completely out of character, and despite the book being told from Sue's PoV, showed it was still about Reed... and his relationship with Doom. ;p

    What's going to be interesting is if this writer is going to trash Namor and his commitment to Sue in future issues?
    I won't comment on this issue because I really really have come to abhor any mention of NamorSue, I won't bring the board down with my negative feelings but perhaps someday I will finish my very long meta post exploring this relationship that I began a few years ago and share a link.

    However the one thing I will mention is Namor reading "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson which I'm told by my friend was a very important environmentalist book in that era and was actually the first to mention that human pollution was affecting nature. I will be looking into reading this book in my free time since I haven't done so yet. Environmentalist Namor makes for a much more interesting take on the character than him being stuck as the third wheel in another couples marriage issues.

    FFLS2_1.jpg
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  15. #465
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I won't comment on this issue because I really really have come to abhor any mention of NamorSue, I won't bring the board down with my negative feelings but perhaps someday I will finish my very long meta post exploring this relationship that I began a few years ago and share a link.

    However the one thing I will mention is Namor reading "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson which I'm told by my friend was a very important environmentalist book in that era and was actually the first to mention that human pollution was affecting nature. I will be looking into reading this book in my free time since I haven't done so yet. Environmentalist Namor makes for a much more interesting take on the character than him being stuck as the third wheel in another couples marriage issues.

    FFLS2_1.jpg
    Yes, Silent Spring is a seminal book of the environmental movement. It was actually published in the 1960s, not the 1970s, as was the Feminine Mystique, so it's the wrong decade for the series, but the books remained popular for decades.

    I am disappointed that they waited until Reed and Sue were married to introduce Namor, as that was NOT Namor and Sue's original relationship. But it's cool if you don't want to talk about it. The post Silver Age takes on their relationship, for the most part, make it my least favorite of Namor's relationships. But you aren't telling the early history of the FF without Namor.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •