Page 45 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

The statue is a custom with an ES 35. The acrylic block is a custom the guy makes them on Facebook page . He’s very easy to deal with from Asia. The statue actually has three heads I prefer the 60s slick back personally . He looks like an underwater gangster .

YouTube ;Namor on throne statue and you can get info on the statue . I’m not supposed to publically disclose for groups safety I guess . Not licensed

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subby1939 View Post
    Well since I have the opportunity to drop this in here now…..

This is amazing! I love how you've set the display.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

The statue is a custom with an ES 35. The acrylic block is a custom the guy makes them on Facebook page . He’s very easy to deal with from Asia. The statue actually has three heads I prefer the 60s slick back personally . He looks like an underwater gangster .

YouTube ;Namor on throne statue and you can get info on the statue . I’m not supposed to publically disclose for groups safety I guess . Not licensed

Cool! Thank you for the info!

I'm always partial to the slicked back, John Buscema bullet head look, also.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Oh I meant like her character seemed to me to be a mix, she has the soldier part from Andromeda and the fact she loved Namor from Dorma. Sorry, it just felt like the writer was trying to make a new character that embodied parts of those two.

The first mutant series is good imo. I don't like most of the art but I did like the addition of the Logomancer. Atlantis has had royal sorcerers in the past or at least court sorcerers and scientists but we never got as in depth as Logomancy, I like the idea of science and magic mixed up for this form of power. I also like that Abira wasn't killed off for Namor's manpain. Sorry we had 2 dead wives, 1 dead lover, and I don't need more fictional women killed off for Namor to be sad about plot.
    I'm not sure anyone was quite as passionate as Lady "out the airlock Sue" Dorma over Namor. O_O

Abira did look like Dorma, though, with the red brown hair, so Stuart Moore may have been going for that vibe.

I think many Namor fans could appreciate the world building and subtle stuff Moore was trying to do in First Mutant, but for some reason, the first arc just didn't grab folks. Not sure if it was art or the idea of Underwater Vampires / mutant vampire event tie-in. I don't think the art helped with that. Olivetti really isn't a horror artist. And the other arc just weren't WOW enough. I think Wolverine had just finished a "go to hell" arc, with much more suited art.

I loved how Moore expanded the magic side of things in Atlantis, especially the royal connection and the power of royal blood. It draws from real world folk lore, and helps explain why the Atlanteans remain a monarchy.

I agree, we didn't need Abira to be Fridged, but it was still so tragic. Those panels where Abira and Namor agreed it had to be done, while not technically beautiful, still packed a punch.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I didn't see First Mutant, I guess I should just so I know.

Thanks, once again, Reviresco, for reminding me why it may be Sue over Dorma, because as far as I know, Sue never tried to return the favor - like leave her without water in the FF Sauna, LOL.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I didn't see First Mutant, I guess I should just so I know.

Thanks, once again, Reviresco, for reminding me why it may be Sue over Dorma, because as far as I know, Sue never tried to return the favor - like leave her without water in the FF Sauna, LOL.
    LOL! But I might like Sue better had she done so for Namor. ;p

I think the Namor the First Mutant is well worth the read for a Namor fan. It's only 11 issues, and it was collected in two trades.

Yes, I suppose Namor's true mate should be more vicious. I guess Marrina hit the jackpot?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

A question for the board as this is something that's come up recently: What is your view on the friendship between Steve Rogers and Namor? How do you see it today vs back when they were on the Invaders?

I personally feel as though lately their friendship has become oftentimes one sided. Steve acts very preachy to Namor, disregarding Namor's legitimate concerns, and oftentimes Marvel puts up Namor as the one in the wrong to Steve's Moral Good compass. I believe that Namor being morally grey is very interesting for his character and I do love Steve, Namor and all the Invaders but I am frustrated when I think about how Avengers 2018 treats Namor, even Invaders towards the end had me scratching my head.

edit:

Also may I add that Namor very often, assists Steve but I never seem to see that same kind of energy returned when it comes to Atlantis?

I think Steve is one of the few humans that Namor truly respects, which helped him calm his hatred, fear and mistrust of humanity. Considering this took place during a horrific global war that easily showcased humanity's worst aspects, it's pretty remarkable Steve was still able to impress and endear Namor to him. That being said, it does seem like a relationship with it's connection or strength being only in the past. I don't feel the two men really know how to relate to each other in the present at all. They both still see each other in the light of the War and their experiences during that time. I think we have all had a relationship like this, where you and the individual can speak and fall quickly into feelings about who you once were, how you both used to be, full of nostalgia and memories, yet really don't have much to hang on to in the present. Old lovers, old friends from school or childhood, and most definitely people who went to war together.

I do not feel Steve and Namor are really friends in the present. They maybe believe they are, and will come to each other's aid when needed, but this seems to be out of a sense of obligation to who they once were, maybe even to who they both wish they still were, but not who they are now. Steve and Namor could not be more different. It's difficult to get a real feeling of how Namor feels now, but I think it's deep respect he has for Steve and not a real friendship. As for Steve, it seems clear from books in the last few years, he doesn't approach Namor really out friendship but because he feels responsible for him. That whenever Namor loses it or lashes out, regardless of Namor's motivations, Steve feels he has some duty to "fix" whatever Namor is doing, certainly out of respect to their once strong friendship, but almost more out of pity. He treats Namor as if he were one of his children who has lost their path, or an old lover, someone who you once cared deeply about, who now is on a bad or destructive path (like drugs/alcohol etc) and he feels responsible somehow. Whatever it is, it's not true friendship in my opinion. Steve, as kind hearted and smart as he is, is unable to truly see Namor beyond where he fits in his own story, his own perspective.

Captain America, and all the surface heroes, having a serious blindspot and narrow view of Namor as a hero is another issue with perspective. Namor is only a great hero when he's joining heroic adventures with them. The stems from Namor crossing over into American narratives with American heroes having American adventures and fighting American foes. I mean this in both the sense of in universe for the characters and as a media product made by Americans for American audiences. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this, but people in the comics and reading the comics can overlook the fact that Namor is NOT an American hero, he's an Atleantean hero. His motivations are to protect and defend his people, his countrymen, and not ours. When he helps the American heroes, he's doing it because his views align with the heroes at the time. As soon as his views and values DON'T align with theirs he immediately becomes a villain. I can only imagine this would be a maddening contradiction to Namor and he would feel jaded and betrayed by his "friends" constantly on the turn of a dime. "I help you save your world and your people countless times, for years, since my youth, and then you poison and destroy my people and my home, and when I react I am treated as a monster, as an enemy." When things go bad Namor is asked to put his life on the line to face whatever world threat the Avengers etc have gotten themselves into, but if there is a threat FROM humanity, against his people, Namor can expect those same Avengers to show up at his doorstep, not to help, but to stop Namor from doing anything about it.
    Last edited by Doombot; 08-06-2021 at 08:28 PM.

I think this picture sums up how feel about Steve Rogers and most of the surface world in relation to the ruler of most of planet earth…

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Also may I add that Namor very often, assists Steve but I never seem to see that same kind of energy returned when it comes to Atlantis?
    Hopefully this counts, but I seem to remember Cap helping Namor regain the throne in Marvel Team-Up, Vol.2 #9 (1998):

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-07-2021 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Made a Correction.

I think this picture sums up how feel about Steve Rogers and most of the surface world in relation to the ruler of most of planet earth…

LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Hopefully this counts, but I seem to remember Cap helping Namor regain the throne in Marvel Team-Up, Vol.2 #9 (1998):

Who could forget Captain Atlantis! LOL

Yes, Steve has helped Namor out but when I think about how many times Namor has come through to help Steve and other surfacers compared to what they give him in return it just feels very one sided on Namor's part. They love to use the Atlanteans as a "surprise army to turn the tides".

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I think Steve is one of the few humans that Namor truly respects, which helped him calm his hatred, fear and mistrust of humanity. Considering this took place during a horrific global war that easily showcased humanity's worst aspects, it's pretty remarkable Steve was still able to impress and endear Namor to him. That being said, it does seem like a relationship with it's connection or strength being only in the past. I don't feel the two men really know how to relate to each other in the present at all. They both still see each other in the light of the War and their experiences during that time. I think we have all had a relationship like this, where you and the individual can speak and fall quickly into feelings about who you once were, how you both used to be, full of nostalgia and memories, yet really don't have much to hang on to in the present. Old lovers, old friends from school or childhood, and most definitely people who went to war together.

I do not feel Steve and Namor are really friends in the present. They maybe believe they are, and will come to each other's aid when needed, but this seems to be out of a sense of obligation to who they once were, maybe even to who they both wish they still were, but not who they are now. Steve and Namor could not be more different. It's difficult to get a real feeling of how Namor feels now, but I think it's deep respect he has for Steve and not a real friendship. As for Steve, it seems clear from books in the last few years, he doesn't approach Namor really out friendship but because he feels responsible for him. That whenever Namor loses it or lashes out, regardless of Namor's motivations, Steve feels he has some duty to "fix" whatever Namor is doing, certainly out of respect to their once strong friendship, but almost more out of pity. He treats Namor as if he were one of his children who has lost their path, or an old lover, someone who you once cared deeply about, who now is on a bad or destructive path (like drugs/alcohol etc) and he feels responsible somehow. Whatever it is, it's not true friendship in my opinion. Steve, as kind hearted and smart as he is, is unable to truly see Namor beyond where he fits in his own story, his own perspective.

Captain America, and all the surface heroes, having a serious blindspot and narrow view of Namor as a hero is another issue with perspective. Namor is only a great hero when he's joining heroic adventures with them. The stems from Namor crossing over into American narratives with American heroes having American adventures and fighting American foes. I mean this in both the sense of in universe for the characters and as a media product made by Americans for American audiences. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this, but people in the comics and reading the comics can overlook the fact that Namor is NOT an American hero, he's an Atleantean hero. His motivations are to protect and defend his people, his countrymen, and not ours. When he helps the American heroes, he's doing it because his views align with the heroes at the time. As soon as his views and values DON'T align with theirs he immediately becomes a villain. I can only imagine this would be a maddening contradiction to Namor and he would feel jaded and betrayed by his "friends" constantly on the turn of a dime. "I help you save your world and your people countless times, for years, since my youth, and then you poison and destroy my people and my home, and when I react I am treated as a monster, as an enemy." When things go bad Namor is asked to put his life on the line to face whatever world threat the Avengers etc have gotten themselves into, but if there is a threat FROM humanity, against his people, Namor can expect those same Avengers to show up at his doorstep, not to help, but to stop Namor from doing anything about it.
    This is a really well thought out answer. Ok wow, I never thought about the nature of their friendship changing like that but it does make a lot of sense! Like they had a brotherly bond formed during the war which is what they still cling to these days but their modern day friendship feels more like an obligation. I really like how pointed out that Steve feels he has to "take responsibility" for Namor. I totally agree with you on the Atlantean Hero bit. Like so long as Namor is not against Americans/Surface people then they think he is fine but the minute he brings up a serious grievance with them they act like he being unreasonable. Aaron's work in Avengers is so frustrating because he sets up Namor to have a legitimate grievance with surface people then he has the Avengers coming in to chastise him and wag their fingers as though he was an unruly child.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

ImperiusWrecked, is this your Tumblr?

https://namorthesubmariner.tumblr.com/
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    ImperiusWrecked, is this your Tumblr?

https://namorthesubmariner.tumblr.com/
    Yes, I started it a few years ago.