Page 52 of 88 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    *slaps forehead* I KNEW IT WAS SOMEWHERE! I was rereading some stuff and could not find it and I'm like "it's somewhere! it's here! where is it!" I didn't look thoroughly enough, lol. Thanks Rev!
    speaking of the blog, I need to update and revamp it for the new year, it's been ages since I've seen it on a desktop since I'm always on mobile, lol.
    I do not object to more of your excellent Namor blog.

I do the same thing. Find out I posted what I'm looking for HERE. LOL!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

OMG. I can't believe it, but Comixology is actually having another Namor sale!

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sa...8650_pg=1&cu=0

It's 44 graphic novels! Including all the Silver Age Marvel Masterworks, Defenders, Invaders and the Stern run in Epic Collections of Avengers. Which reminds me, I need to check the Namor Epic Collection and see if it covers both MMW vol 1 and 2. If it does, I'd recommend picking up the Epic, rather than the first 2 MMW, because the Epic includes ALL his other Silver Age appearances in other titles.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Someone remembered Atlantis exists in the Marvel Universe! It's actually going to have a section in this new DK book on Marvel Maps. I love this cover, even though I think the highlighted character choices in the circles are a bit odd. At least Namor does show up in silhouette ... next to Black Panther. sigh. I do like his aquatic panel though.

The one article page in the preview at DK, however ...

https://www.dk.com/us/book/978074403...se-map-by-map/

Yeah, I think there are some leaps made in the 'history' of Atlantis there.

https://res.cloudinary.com/dk-hub/im...5_spread_2.jpg

Last edited by Reviresco; 09-15-2021 at 11:04 AM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Ohhhhh, i agree odd choice of characters when it comes to Iron Fist? Wouldn't one of the X-Men be the more popular choice? Or the Fantastic Four. Though I def need to check this out! And thanks for the heads up about the sale Rev!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Oh nooooo, I hated the Vodani! I don't want the Atlanteans to be an offshoot of some aquatic alien race, and reading they are including that is not what I hoped for!

I know Marvel's Atlantis is a mess of a backstory that is often ignored but the one thing I disliked about The Best Defense: Namor was this retcon.

edit: ok wait, on a second reading I see that the Vodani came after the cataclysm and basically intermingled with the already there underwater race of Atlanteans, so that probably means some descendants have Vodani bloodline? Either way it's better than outright saying the Atlanteans are Aliens.
    Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 09-14-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Ohhhhh, i agree odd choice of characters when it comes to Iron Fist? Wouldn't one of the X-Men be the more popular choice? Or the Fantastic Four. Though I def need to check this out! And thanks for the heads up about the sale Rev!
    And the X-Men get featured with a big right up on Krakoa! Iron Fist only had K'un Lun, until Fraction expanded his lore to 7 Heavenly Cities. He doesn't really have the lore or history of Namor and Atlantis and Lemuria and the undersea places, in my very biased opinion. ;p But seriously, there's plenty of other characters with rich and historied environments that I'd have put on the cover instead of Iron Fist, and I like that character. Doom, cough, cough, Latveria. Captain Britain and Otherworld. The Inhumans and Attilan.

I've got to sort through my digital library and see what I'm missing for that sale today. It ends tomorrow night.

Oh nooooo, I hated the Vodani! I don't want the Atlanteans to be an offshoot of some aquatic alien race, and reading they are including that is not what I hoped for!

I know Marvel's Atlantis is a mess of a backstory that is often ignored but the one thing I disliked about The Best Defense: Namor was this retcon.

edit: ok wait, on a second reading I see that the Vodani came after the cataclysm and basically intermingled with the already there underwater race of Atlanteans, so that probably means some descendants have Vodani bloodline? Either way it's better than outright saying the Atlanteans are Aliens.
    I didn't mind the Vodani, as we've had several pocket dimensions of water breathing Atlanteans, like the People of the Black Sea. But none of them claimed to be the ancestors of the Atlanteans. Mostly it was the other way around -- Atlantean colonies in other dimensions. But yes, that's exactly what this article is claiming. That the Atlanteans are an offshoot of an alien race. I'm not even going to go into how that sort of "intermingling" shouldn't be possible, unless they are the same species. And even Zdarsky didn't say they WERE related. He said the Vodani and their connection to Atlantis was the stuff of legends, i.e. we don't know exactly what it was.

And what is "instinctively nomadic"??? Peoples are nomadic because they are following the food, not instinct.

I also don't appreciate the contradictory assessment that underwater Atlantis was suffering the "original sin" of "harking back to a lost time, hoping against hope that the great promise of Atlantis ... could be fufilled," while in the same paragraph he calls underwater Atlantis a "complex and EVER EVOLVING" kingdom. If they are evolving they certainly aren't regressing to past glories of air breathers. WHERE does that nonsense come from? The only 'past' that the Atlanteans seem to glorify is the time their god Neptune lived amongst them. And Neptune's the one that kept promising them FUTURE glories.

Also, the Skara barbarians ARE the Chasm People. Of course, that confusion isn't entirely his.

I also find it ironic, and tragic, that two of the four pictures are from the Tsunami series, which really doesn't fit continuity (so much so that he doesn't even mention it in the article), as it moves Atlantis to the freaking Pacific, yet those are what he chose to represent the in continuity Atlantis. It's tragic, because that's how little choice there is in the depiction of Atlantis at Marvel. The third picture isn't even from a Namor book! Tragic. Just so stupidly wrong of Marvel.

Also, a betta fish illustration? Really? An incredible ocean of amazing animals, and you go with a tiny FRESH WATER aquarium fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    And the X-Men get featured with a big right up on Krakoa! Iron Fist only had K'un Lun, until Fraction expanded his lore to 7 Heavenly Cities. He doesn't really have the lore or history of Namor and Atlantis and Lemuria and the undersea places, in my very biased opinion. ;p But seriously, there's plenty of other characters with rich and historied environments that I'd have put on the cover instead of Iron Fist, and I like that character. Doom, cough, cough, Latveria. Captain Britain and Otherworld. The Inhumans and Attilan.

I've got to sort through my digital library and see what I'm missing for that sale today. It ends tomorrow night.

I didn't mind the Vodani, as we've had several pocket dimensions of water breathing Atlanteans, like the People of the Black Sea. But none of them claimed to be the ancestors of the Atlanteans. Mostly it was the other way around -- Atlantean colonies in other dimensions. But yes, that's exactly what this article is claiming. That the Atlanteans are an offshoot of an alien race. I'm not even going to go into how that sort of "intermingling" shouldn't be possible, unless they are the same species. And even Zdarsky didn't say they WERE related. He said the Vodani and their connection to Atlantis was the stuff of legends, i.e. we don't know exactly what it was.

And what is "instinctively nomadic"??? Peoples are nomadic because they are following the food, not instinct.

I also don't appreciate the contradictory assessment that underwater Atlantis was suffering the "original sin" of "harking back to a lost time, hoping against hope that the great promise of Atlantis ... could be fufilled," while in the same paragraph he calls underwater Atlantis a "complex and EVER EVOLVING" kingdom. If they are evolving they certainly aren't regressing to past glories of air breathers. WHERE does that nonsense come from? The only 'past' that the Atlanteans seem to glorify is the time their god Neptune lived amongst them. And Neptune's the one that kept promising them FUTURE glories.

Also, the Skara barbarians ARE the Chasm People. Of course, that confusion isn't entirely his.

I also find it ironic, and tragic, that two of the four pictures are from the Tsunami series, which really doesn't fit continuity (so much so that he doesn't even mention it in the article), as it moves Atlantis to the freaking Pacific, yet those are what he chose to represent the in continuity Atlantis. It's tragic, because that's how little choice there is in the depiction of Atlantis at Marvel. The third picture isn't even from a Namor book! Tragic. Just so stupidly wrong of Marvel.

Also, a betta fish illustration? Really? An incredible ocean of amazing animals, and you go with a tiny FRESH WATER aquarium fish.
    I think the issue with Marvel's Atlantis is so many writers have tried to tackle how the Atlanteans came to be, did they simply appear, an offshoot of humans adapted for undersea life? Did humans evolve from Atlanteans? The Atlantean/Amazon war, The Great Cataclysm, Aquatic Aliens, The Lemurian/Atlantean war, They were turned by magic? Like it's very all over the underwater map, and I've been trying to catalogue what is exactly canon or not. They would really benefit from and Atlantean History book like what DC did with Aquaman. We can chalk up everything else to being misleading or inaccurate information due to the years passing and knowledge being lost.

However no one at Marvel's current Powers that Be care enough about explaining or world building, perhaps they might even change all of this if/when Namor gets into the MCU and they go with the MCU origin.

The whole "original sin" thing feels very "adam and eve being punished and sent from the garden" to me and I honestly don't like it.

I feel like perhaps Atlanteans do yearn for what was lost, or at least the older Atlanteans who are ancients do, not so much the younger generation who are simply living with what they know.

*sigh* It's all very frustrating as a Namor fan to not have some kind of Atlantean History & Lore book where this is all in one spot.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

The two origins I recall are: genetic experimentation by Deviants on the original surfaced-dwelling Atlanteans; or humans transformed by Poseidon.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    The two origins I recall are: genetic experimentation by Deviants on the original surfaced-dwelling Atlanteans; or humans transformed by Poseidon.
    Iirc there was also that History of the Marvel Universe comic that just said "magic turned them into water breathers" but not whose magic. ):

Me and a Mutual are trying to track down where this piece of art came from, any help would be appreciated, I tried to find the artist name but not sure if I spelled it right

tigershark.jpg

Me and a Mutual are trying to track down where this piece of art came from, any help would be appreciated, I tried to find the artist name but not sure if I spelled it right
    It's the cover from Villains For Hire by Rodolfo Migliari.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Villa...r_Hire_Vol_1_2

Well, no big surprise. We have another month with ZERO Namor appearances in the solicitations. Thanks a lot, Marvel.

It's the cover from Villains For Hire by Rodolfo Migliari.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Villa...r_Hire_Vol_1_2
    Thanks so much Rev!!!

Well, no big surprise. We have another month with ZERO Namor appearances in the solicitations. Thanks a lot, Marvel.
    So far the only thing to see him in will be that Avengers story D:

Just got this back from the framer so I thought I’d share :