Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Happy New Year 2021 to all of my Namor friends! I hope it is a good year for all of you. And Namor too, lol.

Here's hoping 2021 will be good for Namor, the Sub-Mariner

It's hard to tell, with the pandemic throwing plans awry, but I'm wondering if Marvel is actually thinking of giving Namor, spinning out of the King in Black event? That may be wishful thinking on my part, since Marvel's strategy nowadays seems to be doing mini-series for most characters. But it seems like things are being set up between KiB and the awfulness of Avengers. Though, the later could definitely lead to disaster for Namor fans, given promises of things changing and characters dying.

But back to positive thinking ... do you think Swift Tide / Black Tide could prompt a series? Could Defenders of the Deep actually play a role? That was the best thing out of Avengers 40. The splash page featuring them was really striking.

While, of course, I hope Namor gets a series any way he can, I'd really rather it has nothing to do with the Defenders of the Deep. Having Namor keep sticking with these characters only further cements Namor as a heel in the eyes of anyone reading these stories. All these guys, with the exception of Andromeda, are monsters and murderers (or both). It also weakens the individual villains involved, as they're no longer really a threat to anyone, they're easily corralled by Namor to do whatever he says and they're also just background punching bags for the hero team whenever they show up.

I also can't get over how bad TigerShark looks. (lol bitch bitch bitch)
    Last edited by Doombot; 01-02-2021 at 03:17 AM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    It's hard to tell, with the pandemic throwing plans awry, but I'm wondering if Marvel is actually thinking of giving Namor, spinning out of the King in Black event? That may be wishful thinking on my part, since Marvel's strategy nowadays seems to be doing mini-series for most characters. But it seems like things are being set up between KiB and the awfulness of Avengers. Though, the later could definitely lead to disaster for Namor fans, given promises of things changing and characters dying.

But back to positive thinking ... do you think Swift Tide / Black Tide could prompt a series? Could Defenders of the Deep actually play a role? That was the best thing out of Avengers 40. The splash page featuring them was really striking.

While, of course, I hope Namor gets a series any way he can, I'd really rather it has nothing to do with the Defenders of the Deep. Having Namor keep sticking with these characters only further cements Namor as a heel in the eyes of anyone reading these stories. All these guys, with the exception of Andromeda, are monsters and murderers (or both). It also weakens the individual villains involved, as they're no longer really a threat to anyone, they're easily corralled by Namor to do whatever he says and they're also just background punching bags for the hero team whenever they show up.

I also can't get over how bad TigerShark looks. (lol bitch bitch bitch)
    LOL!

Yes, unfortunately, Tiger Shark hasn't fared well in some of these portrayals. Good points on the Defenders of the Deep. I've always wondered why we didn't get a heroic Defenders of the Deep. There ARE enough underwater heroes languishing. Though both Tiger Shark and Orca have both had, well, hero turns, I don't think it fits either very well, especially Tiger Shark. Blood Tide was more of a political enemy turned "terrorist," IIRC, but then something bad obviously happened to her. O_O The rest I don't really know much about. Could they work as an underwater Thunderbolts or Suicide Squad type team? Or perhaps become an underwater Masters of Evil. Could they combine with the Black Tide to prove a really frightening threat against the underwater cities. I don't know. But I think they look cool, i.e. they aren't just a bunch of pretty people in tights, and hate for them to just be tossed away after one use, like so much of Namor's cast.

IOW, I think there's some story potential there.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-02-2021 at 08:26 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Here's hoping 2021 will be good for Namor, the Sub-Mariner
    \

Definitely keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a good 2021 for Namor!

While there was a bit too much 90s in this Neptune Armor, for me, I loved all the skulls and engraving on it and how they appeared to move. I wondered why such a ... grim motif was used on the armor instead of aquatic themes? Were they souls absorbed by armor? Sacrifices? Guardians? There was plenty of potential there that was never explored. I'd love to see it done properly with some defined properties.

I wondered was this armor supposed to be an update of the Neptune armor? It also was never explained or used in the Sub-Mariner mini-series.

And here was another special Atlantean armor, Blood Armor, which I'm not so familiar with, but object to on strictly an aesthetic basis.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Happy New Year 2021 to all of my Namor friends! I hope it is a good year for all of you. And Namor too, lol.
    Good wishes to you too, Phoenixx!

Here's something I haven't seen before. A sketch supposedly by Bill Everett -- though it isn't signed or dated.

Marvel’s First Hero Could Topple the X-Men’s Nation

In Marvel #3, "A Clash at the Deepest Depths" by Alan Weiss and Lovern Kindzierski reveals that none other than Namor the Sub-Mariner, protector and ruler of Atlantis, frequent enemy to humankind, and oft-forgotten member of the mutant race, may have the ability to grant immortality through his blood alone. A number of villains believe it is possible, and if they could possibly synthesize the concoction they envision, it would break Krakoa's monopoly on life-extending drugs by offering a far more effective alternative.
    This wasn't exactly how I read this story, but I've long said that Namor's royal blood does have interesting properties, over several issues / writers. Also remember that Mr. Sinister very much wanted to and did create a clone of Namor during WWII. All that said, one of the big problems with this, of course, is there's only ONE of Namor. As pointed out in Stuart Moore's run, some spells require MOST of the donors blood. O_O

by Ken Steacy

Not sure if this was published somewhere, but allegedly it was supposed to be in a Marvel Fanfare?

I like this because Namor is FLYING and fast enough to fight JETS. ;p

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Hello Namor Fans!!! I just came back from hiatus and am once again ready to spread the word of our KING.

May we all be blessed with a Namor ongoing series (possibly by Kurt Busiek) this new year! I still have to finish those KiB: Namor edits which I didn't get a chance to before I was away from my computer, but I will post them asap.

Rev! The new board looks great! Thanks so much for setting it all up, can't wait for more Namor discussion, and I am planning on year two of Namor Week happening during the same time in the last week of April, I will probably start promoing it soonish.

Also I just read the Avengers comic and I have to laugh, how the heck spoilers:
    did Steve and Logan just HOLD NAMOR WHEN HE JUST EMERGED FROM WATER IS ISN'T DEYHYDRATED OR ANYTHING???
    end of spoilers Yes, I will begin this year being extra salty at Aaron's run using Namor and Doom in the Phoenix Avengers. lol
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Here's something I haven't seen before. A sketch supposedly by Bill Everett -- though it isn't signed or dated.

Still very awesome art!

by Ken Steacy

Not sure if this was published somewhere, but allegedly it was supposed to be in a Marvel Fanfare?

I love this art, I saw it around on tumblr ages ago but don't know where it was og printed.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

So with the announcement of a FF movie on the horizon, that means we may get Namor sooner than later showing up, who would you guys want as a cast of characters along with Namor if they were to do a movie about him. I would think Dorma and Officer betty would be our main two female leads unless you do a direct cross over with the Fantastic Four. Any other main supporting cast that could come along for the ride, and who would be the villains?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Hello Namor Fans!!! I just came back from hiatus and am once again ready to spread the word of our KING.

May we all be blessed with a Namor ongoing series (possibly by Kurt Busiek) this new year! I still have to finish those KiB: Namor edits which I didn't get a chance to before I was away from my computer, but I will post them asap.

Rev! The new board looks great! Thanks so much for setting it all up, can't wait for more Namor discussion, and I am planning on year two of Namor Week happening during the same time in the last week of April, I will probably start promoing it soonish.

Also I just read the Avengers comic and I have to laugh, how the heck spoilers:
    did Steve and Logan just HOLD NAMOR WHEN HE JUST EMERGED FROM WATER IS ISN'T DEYHYDRATED OR ANYTHING???
    end of spoilers Yes, I will begin this year being extra salty at Aaron's run using Namor and Doom in the Phoenix Avengers. lol

Good to see you back, IW!

Thanks, but it was mostly copy and paste. : ) I need to do some updating at some point. That's great to hear on the Namor Week! Maybe if I get started NOW, I can have something by then.

Busiek just shot down any ongoing by him in his thread, but I'm still hopeful we'll get something after KiB. That is if Aaron will stop his abuse and let Namor go. Yes, I too complained loudly about the Wolverine Cap nonsense and creators inability to remember Namor can FLY. Clearly they haven't read the Weiss panel.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Still very awesome art!

I love this art, I saw it around on tumblr ages ago but don't know where it was og printed.

I could have sworn I've seen the Steacy piece in print somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    So with the announcement of a FF movie on the horizon, that means we may get Namor sooner than later showing up, who would you guys want as a cast of characters along with Namor if they were to do a movie about him. I would think Dorma and Officer betty would be our main two female leads unless you do a direct cross over with the Fantastic Four. Any other main supporting cast that could come along for the ride, and who would be the villains?
    Good to see you again, Darkspellmaster!

I guess it would depend on WHEN a Namor show / movie would be set and what story line they would 'follow.' I'll have to think on it more.

by Ken Steacy

Agreed. It looks like something you'd find in Marvel Fanfare.

And speaking of Marvel Fanfare, one of my favorite Namor adventures appeared in...

Marvel Fanfare #43