Page 32 of 88 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Silent Spring is indeed revolutionary for its time. It truly is about industrial/environmental pollution. I was a research assistant of sorts for a Children's Hospital Clinical Immunologist, who felt modern medicine will never be able to keep up with the rate of pollutants. That was in the early '90s. They were right.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

So many of the classic FF stories dealt with huge, for that time at least, archetypes and ageless tropes or plots. Oedipal, Shakespearian even.
    So to some degree it is over the top to people reading these days, but for the times it was first seen, it was quite new and revolutionary.
    There was always an intention to bring back both Namor and Captain America from their previous publishing histories.
    The interesting thing is that after the war, comic books continued in various ways. They really were ubiquitous. So Marvel under its previous names continued to publish Cap, Namor, Torch (original one of course) and other stories, going from Timely to Atlas to Marvel - did I miss anything. I used to know it by heart, all the history.
    Stan and whoever wanted to bring these characters back, but also seemed to want to ignore their post WW2 history.
    So Cap was frozen, Bucky dead. And Namor turns up as an amnesiac bum in the Bronx.
    It's pretty classic, and had to be included. The whole romantic idea is also classic and timeless stories.
    I love them, the relationships more to for the resonance or call back to classics.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    So many of the classic FF stories dealt with huge, for that time at least, archetypes and ageless tropes or plots. Oedipal, Shakespearian even.
    So to some degree it is over the top to people reading these days, but for the times it was first seen, it was quite new and revolutionary.
    There was always an intention to bring back both Namor and Captain America from their previous publishing histories.
    The interesting thing is that after the war, comic books continued in various ways. They really were ubiquitous. So Marvel under its previous names continued to publish Cap, Namor, Torch (original one of course) and other stories, going from Timely to Atlas to Marvel - did I miss anything. I used to know it by heart, all the history.
    Stan and whoever wanted to bring these characters back, but also seemed to want to ignore their post WW2 history.
    So Cap was frozen, Bucky dead. And Namor turns up as an amnesiac bum in the Bronx.
    It's pretty classic, and had to be included. The whole romantic idea is also classic and timeless stories.
    I love them, the relationships more to for the resonance or call back to classics.
    I think folks forget the bolded. You have to read the older stories with the era they were created in mind.

Interesting point that both Captain America and Namor have years missing in their lives, when Stan and Jack brought them into the Silver Age. Beyond the obvious writing benefit, something to think about.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Silent Spring is indeed revolutionary for its time. It truly is about industrial/environmental pollution. I was a research assistant of sorts for a Children's Hospital Clinical Immunologist, who felt modern medicine will never be able to keep up with the rate of pollutants. That was in the early '90s. They were right.
    I've thought the same thing, but I wasn't sure if it was a case of illnesses and allergies not being reported or diagnosed, or if they've actually increased. You would have thought people would realize everything gets into the food cycle.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    September 2021 solicits are out, just one mention of Namor (and he's not even on the cover I think) that is not in a TPB.

THE MARVELS #5
    KURT BUSIEK (W) • YILDIRAY CINAR (A) • Cover by ALEX ROSS
    Variant Cover by Mahmud Asrar
    For starters, there’s a Big Little Book. Plus monsters, international mayhem, the arrival of heroes in trouble and a deadly threat for Dr. Strange. And apartment problems, phone calls and an audience with Namor of Atlantis. You know, those kinds of things. Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Storm and more, plus the return of a Golden Age great and…Dakota North? Man, when we say “marvels,” we mean marvels! Don’t miss it — we’d miss you!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Sadly, we are in a desert of Namor appearances. : ( That said, this looks like a preview of Namor's appearance in this solicitation from Yildray Cinar. I see Andromeda, Tony, Cap, Storm and ... Jim Hammond?

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/statu...195963904?s=20

And here's a lovely warm up sketch from Yildray Cinar.

https://twitter.com/ycinar/status/13...458210311?s=20

We can't get an ongoing for Namor for more than a decade from Marvel, but one TV appearance, and Mr. Nimbus gets a comic book! Come on Marvel! STEP UP!

RICK AND MORTY MR NIMBUS #1 CVR A LEE
    ONI PRESS INC.
    JUL211819
    JUL211820 – RICK AND MORTY MR NIMBUS #1 CVR B HOBBES – 4.99
    (W) Alex Firer (A / CA) Ryan Lee
    Straight out of the Rick and Morty Season Five premiere comes Mr. Nimbus! The origins of Rick's mightiest foe are revealed in this very special issue of Rick and Morty Presents. Love, war, fish, and friendship undergo the battering sea of time and tide.
    In Shops: Sep 22, 2021
    SRP: 4.99
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/rick...2021-solicits/

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I've thought the same thing, but I wasn't sure if it was a case of illnesses and allergies not being reported or diagnosed, or if they've actually increased. You would have thought people would realize everything gets into the food cycle.
    Dr. Paul M was his name and he specifically told us, the staff of the Medical Library at Children's Hospital of Michigan, that the heyday of therapeutics and treatments for asthma and other respiratory diseases were in the '50. That is when the most progress was made or key discoveries of treatments, how they work. So of course it doesn't mean that there is never anything newer or more revolutionary, but the '50s was where there was the most increase in treatments. Anyway Paul said that in the early '90s, so even now that could be untrue - maybe there are even more new ideas since then.
    What we did back then was go on databases, an early internet thing, and search specific things. Trained to do Mesh headings, Medical Subject headings and you learn Boolean logic, the and/or thing. How to limit results in various ways. Also there were more specific databases too. Toxicline or something like that was specifically about poisonings and related. Psych databases, chemical databases and on and on. I was probably not trained to be fluent in all of them, just the ones most used for 'searching the medical literature'.
    There obviously is no comparing to "I saw it on google".
    We studied collected weekly reports by CDC on MMWR. Monthly Morbidity Weekly Report. I specifically filed those for the Library. Causes of death for each and every week. So Dr. M felt that particulate matters in the atmosphere have only increased at the rate that our medicines were able to treat them. About a draw. He had long been doing this research before I came. He was the first one who told me about Silent Spring. I'd heard 'of' it, but not much, so it was awesome to read some of that. Early '90s.
    ~ Oberon ~

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I think folks forget the bolded. You have to read the older stories with the era they were created in mind.

Interesting point that both Captain America and Namor have years missing in their lives, when Stan and Jack brought them into the Silver Age. Beyond the obvious writing benefit, something to think about.
    I don't have an issue with early FF writing/the creation of the Namor/Sue/Reed love angle, I know the tropes involved for what they were for the time, my issues currently stem from an ongoing and repeated low grade and frankly insulting writing of the characters just to try and recapture an overplayed plot that should in this day and age be left to the past. I am very tired of going into any comment section, seeing articles, and having people comment on my posts (from time to time) about Namor/Sue, because I feel it regulates Namor a very interesting character to something that is used for other "main characters" stories. Sorry for the small rant, I just want to make it clear I don't care if people like them, that's their enjoyment and its fine, but I do have an issue where the only things people know about Namor (non comic or non namor fans) is 1. Namor vs Black Panther and 2. Namor wants to sleep with Sue who is a married woman.

Even them "revisiting" this ship in Life Story has nothing to do with Namor himself, you could have easily swapped out anyone for this including Ben which would have been even more of a shake up and Ben had a crush on Sue once, because it's not about Namor, it's about ReedSue and its always been about them.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

We can't get an ongoing for Namor for more than a decade from Marvel, but one TV appearance, and Mr. Nimbus gets a comic book! Come on Marvel! STEP UP!

The Namor knock offs always get more love than the original ):

Sadly, we are in a desert of Namor appearances. : ( That said, this looks like a preview of Namor's appearance in this solicitation from Yildray Cinar. I see Andromeda, Tony, Cap, Storm and ... Jim Hammond?

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/statu...195963904?s=20

And here's a lovely warm up sketch from Yildray Cinar.

https://twitter.com/ycinar/status/13...458210311?s=20
    These are so beautiful, I can't wait to read that comic!

The FF are easily among my very favourite comic characters, but the Sue/Namor relationship is beyond boring, and has been for decades. It's fine as something that will always be underlining for the characters, as Namor will never like Reed and will always hold a candle in some way for Sue, but these characters are so beyond this now (or should be) It's like constantly writing adult characters, who have been through insane experiences and years of growth, yet never letting them get beyond their highschool crushes and melodrama. The most that should ever come from Namor's encounters with the FF is Namor maybe occasionally flirting with Sue to get a rise out of her, or to annoy Reed, or both, but all of them knowing full well it's something long put to rest and of the past.

As I've said many times before, this issue stems from Namor not having his own ongoing with new love interests that are long term characters and have development that allow Namor and his world to develop beyond being a perpetual guest-star with a backstory that's frozen in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    The FF are easily among my very favourite comic characters, but the Sue/Namor relationship is beyond boring, and has been for decades. It's fine as something that will always be underlining for the characters, as Namor will never like Reed and will always hold a candle in some way for Sue, but these characters are so beyond this now (or should be) It's like constantly writing adult characters, who have been through insane experiences and years of growth, yet never letting them get beyond their highschool crushes and melodrama. The most that should ever come from Namor's encounters with the FF is Namor maybe occasionally flirting with Sue to get a rise out of her, or to annoy Reed, or both, but all of them knowing full well it's something long put to rest and of the past.

As I've said many times before, this issue stems from Namor not having his own ongoing with new love interests that are long term characters and have development that allow Namor and his world to develop beyond being a perpetual guest-star with a backstory that's frozen in the past.
    I agree with you for the most part, especially that last part. I still think there's a lot in the Namor / Sue relationship originally. But trying to make Namor / Sue a thing nowadays is somewhat exasperating, and usually ignores the fact that Namor has moved on. He married TWICE since then. He saved Sue's marriage TWICE. And by no means is Namor pining for Sue. Of course, he's going to flirt with Sue, because Namor is a big flirt ... and ever an optimist. ;p And he does consider her a friend.

I love this Golden Age inspired commission done by John Snyder III. My question is Namor swooping in as a customer, or the next shift employee?

https://twitter.com/JohnKSnyderIII1/...703398404?s=20

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Marvel should snag Robert Venditti for a Namor ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Marvel should snag Robert Venditti for a Namor ongoing.
    Has he written anything for Marvel? He wrote some Green Lantern stuff, didn't he? As well as some Valiant stuff.

There's several writers (notably Gail Simone) that have expressed an interest in a Namor book, but Marvel just doesn't care.