Page 33 of 88 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Has he written anything for Marvel? He wrote some Green Lantern stuff, didn't he? As well as some Valiant stuff.

There's several writers (notably Gail Simone) that have expressed an interest in a Namor book, but Marvel just doesn't care.
    Not that I’m aware of, but his run on Hawkman was absolutely amazing. If you haven’t read it, give it a try. It’s only 29 issues, but seriously one of DC’s best runs that were cut short due to covid.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Not that I’m aware of, but his run on Hawkman was absolutely amazing. If you haven’t read it, give it a try. It’s only 29 issues, but seriously one of DC’s best runs that were cut short due to covid.
    Looked him up and it looks like he's only done a few Iron Man issues. Looks like all four trades of Hawkman are on Hoopla, so I'll give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I love this Golden Age inspired commission done by John Snyder III. My question is Namor swooping in as a customer, or the next shift employee?

https://twitter.com/JohnKSnyderIII1/...703398404?s=20
    OH! I love this, at first I thought the one in red was Betty but now I suppose it is Venus?
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    The FF are easily among my very favourite comic characters, but the Sue/Namor relationship is beyond boring, and has been for decades. It's fine as something that will always be underlining for the characters, as Namor will never like Reed and will always hold a candle in some way for Sue, but these characters are so beyond this now (or should be) It's like constantly writing adult characters, who have been through insane experiences and years of growth, yet never letting them get beyond their highschool crushes and melodrama. The most that should ever come from Namor's encounters with the FF is Namor maybe occasionally flirting with Sue to get a rise out of her, or to annoy Reed, or both, but all of them knowing full well it's something long put to rest and of the past.

As I've said many times before, this issue stems from Namor not having his own ongoing with new love interests that are long term characters and have development that allow Namor and his world to develop beyond being a perpetual guest-star with a backstory that's frozen in the past.
    See I feel they have addressed this issue before AND had the characters on a more mature level where Namor knows he will never always see eye to eye with Reed but he respects Sue and they are friends. Claremont addressed this issue very well and I was pleased with how well it was handled, Namor has never had many close male friends but he defiantly has more friends/is friendly with women more. So how many times must writers constantly bring this up? It makes Reed and Sue look bad too, so it's not just "homewrecking" Namor, it's "jealous Reed who doesn't trust his wife" and "disloyal Sue".

You are right, the main issue is that Namor doesn't have his own ongoing and that any love interest is killed off or already paired with another character and Namor is the third wheel, but I feel it's also writers/creators who do nothing more than a cursory search on google/wiki and say "yeah Namor is still in love with Sue".

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    OH! I love this, at first I thought the one in red was Betty but now I suppose it is Venus?
    Yep, it's supposed to be Venus!

See I feel they have addressed this issue before AND had the characters on a more mature level where Namor knows he will never always see eye to eye with Reed but he respects Sue and they are friends. Claremont addressed this issue very well and I was pleased with how well it was handled, Namor has never had many close male friends but he defiantly has more friends/is friendly with women more. So how many times must writers constantly bring this up? It makes Reed and Sue look bad too, so it's not just "homewrecking" Namor, it's "jealous Reed who doesn't trust his wife" and "disloyal Sue".
    Wasn't Claremont the one who revealed Sue's secret heart's desire was to be Namor's queen of Atlantis?

If the comics were real time, and continuity respected, then yes, Namor and Sue would be written both having moved on, even if they had a friendly relationship. But at some point, the sliding time line changed things, and the characters kept being regressed, and the same plots are being nostalgically regurgitated repeatedly. And of course, FF True Story, like FF Grand Design, are actual consolidation of tons of comics, so of course, they will have Namor and Sue in them -- it was a major part of the early FF. We also have so much history and comics, especially for older characters, that modern authors don't feel the need to read every one of them. Judging from comments and the actual stories, it's clear that some modern writers don't even know that Namor was married twice. Or that he saved Sue and Reed's marriage. And I still think there's a mythic quality to their relationship that writers and fans find appealing.

You are right, the main issue is that Namor doesn't have his own ongoing and that any love interest is killed off or already paired with another character and Namor is the third wheel, but I feel it's also writers/creators who do nothing more than a cursory search on google/wiki and say "yeah Namor is still in love with Sue".
    And yes, this is yet another reason why Namor and Sue kept getting used. Writers are using Namor as a supporting character in other characters books -- and they aren't interested in telling / advancing HIS story. Part of the soap opera trope is to 'dramatize' established relationships by introducing romantic threats to said established "boring" relationships. Cue sexy Namor.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

And that is exactly why I dislike Namor/Sue, it's never ever to Namor's character mythos or development, and often times Betty is ignored as the person who made Namor see that humanity isn't so bad and people insert Susan as that role. I'm not here for Namor/Sue though I do understand why its a thing and why some people might like it. I am here for Namor and his character and lore because that's what I'm interested in but anytime Sue is in the picture we get that same storyline again. Anyways I have distracted the board long enough with my dislikes/ranting so I do apologize for that.

I am looking forward to that Namor cameo in Busiek's the Marvels, is it just me wishfully hoping or does Busiek seem to be getting more Namor writing lately even outside of King in Black? He also curated that Snapshot story too iirc.

It's not really a distraction to discuss topic relating to Namor, good or bad. That's what a discussion thread is for. I'd take rants all day over a silent thread.

Extraordinary Member

And that is exactly why I dislike Namor/Sue, it's never ever to Namor's character mythos or development, and often times Betty is ignored as the person who made Namor see that humanity isn't so bad and people insert Susan as that role. I'm not here for Namor/Sue though I do understand why its a thing and why some people might like it. I am here for Namor and his character and lore because that's what I'm interested in but anytime Sue is in the picture we get that same storyline again. Anyways I have distracted the board long enough with my dislikes/ranting so I do apologize for that.

I am looking forward to that Namor cameo in Busiek's the Marvels, is it just me wishfully hoping or does Busiek seem to be getting more Namor writing lately even outside of King in Black? He also curated that Snapshot story too iirc.
    He’d be my pick for a current Namor ongoing.

so is Susan a ringer for Betty (once upon a time)? Is that why his attention lingers...?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so is Susan a ringer for Betty (once upon a time)? Is that why his attention lingers...?
    Maybe she is her great aunt. LOL But mostly I think it is the contrast thing: Namor dark, Betty or Sue light.
    To play up the opposite/attraction.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I personally believe that Susan was created with Betty in mind, after all it was only four issues in before Namor was introduced so who's to say Lee didn't think about at least the first few issues of the comic out? Of course it's just speculation.

More than Halfway through the Year and thought I would post a reminder that Namor fan Heyboydraws still has the Namor Bingo Event open, so feel free to join in with fanworks get your bingo card filled up before the end of the 2021 year!

Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Maybe she is her great aunt. LOL But mostly I think it is the contrast thing: Namor dark, Betty or Sue light.
    To play up the opposite/attraction.
    Namor projecting his love of Betty onto other surface women? more likely than you think!

Spider-Man Newspaper Strips (w) Stan Lee (a) Larry Lieber

Well, it certainly is either conceited on Namor's part, or more his 'ol horn dog tricks?
    Because of bad writers, not because that is really Namor.

I never thought that Sue was patterned after Betty Dean, but these days I now realize that Lee often ripped himself off, or just reused his stories.
    Also Betty appeared as both brunette and blonde if I recall, in the actual Golden Age.

But I think this plays to the reliable trope, that Namor tends to see his human side through the various woman he has been attracted to, mostly Sue, Betty, but possibly a little Diane (I would have liked to have seen more back in the day, but now, she too, is boringly married). Or MJ in this scene.

I guess it is overused, but that is why I liked the initial iteration of Marvel/'60s: Namor and Sue.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

https://twitter.com/ChuckPatton9/sta...693671427?s=20

Did a great job channeling John Buscema's take on Namor.

Makes me wonder if we will ever get Namor back in the speedo in comics?