Page 81 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1313
    Mighty Member

Chapter 2 Page 50 from "The Dissection of King Namor" > Day 9 of 24 days of Namor Christmas

My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I'm fairly certain that X-Men Red will have nothing to do with the previous title. Tom Taylor says he has nothing to do with it. It may have something to do with the Mars Colony. Or something to do with the Russians mutants, what with Omega Red, Colossus, Magik, etc.

I honestly think that Tom Taylor only put Namor on the team so he could use that Seabro joke. He literally did nothing with Namor on that title.
    Oh after the series was done I totally agree, I kept hoping/waiting for him to give Namor ANYTHING other than a few lines and having a hard time with Kid Abomination *rolls eyes* but nope, nothing. Namor certainly got more than others on the team, Gambit, Storm, and Nightcrawler didn't have any defining moments to shine, except Storm was mind controlled once. I hated the ending and Iron Man's "let's just thro the bomb into the ocean "joke" " that he back tracked on when he remembered Namor was literally fighting at their side. It was such a missed opportunity for Namor and Jean to discuss the Phoenix Force's effects on them etc. but we just got Atlantis as a set dressing, and a sea-rebro joke. :/

That's why I'm pretty sure Namor isn't going to be on the new comic's team.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Oh after the series was done I totally agree, I kept hoping/waiting for him to give Namor ANYTHING other than a few lines and having a hard time with Kid Abomination *rolls eyes* but nope, nothing. Namor certainly got more than others on the team, Gambit, Storm, and Nightcrawler didn't have any defining moments to shine, except Storm was mind controlled once. I hated the ending and Iron Man's "let's just thro the bomb into the ocean "joke" " that he back tracked on when he remembered Namor was literally fighting at their side. It was such a missed opportunity for Namor and Jean to discuss the Phoenix Force's effects on them etc. but we just got Atlantis as a set dressing, and a sea-rebro joke. :/

That's why I'm pretty sure Namor isn't going to be on the new comic's team.
    He did get a little more page time than some of those folks, (Gambit was on the team???) but I was so unhappy that Jenny Frisson left him off her team cover and never did a Namor variant. I love her work, and would have loved to see her do Namor.

And yes! I can't believe we never got a scene with Jean and Namor talking about the Phoenix. Or her even volunteering to help him. Total wasted opportunity.

The pain just keeps coming. Not only am I not getting a Kieron Gillen Namor on the Quiet Council X-Men book, but now THIS crap is happening again in the summer, while Aaron has his mitts on Namor!!! WHAT did we do to deserve this????

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I feel Marvel really missed the boat on getting him into their films. DC had a degree of success with Aquaman but that franchise (if it is one) seems to be stalled like so many things since the pandemic. But I'm sure fans here will agree that to a great degree the movie ripped off Namor. Movie Aquaman reminds me especially of the Byrne/Jae Lee phase of his solo comic.

And did you say Hobo Namor??? did you mean his cousin Shamor from the Cabal? Seriously, I don't know what artist Alex Maleev was thinking when he did this issue. BTW, I wanted to PM you but your mailbox is full
    I can't believe you sprung that on me again! The horrible Maleev Bendis Namor! You know, Maleev actually apologized for that image to Namor fans on his twitter feed, IIRC. Several years too late, but it WAS a heartfelt apology. And no, you know Hobo Namor very well. ;p

I agree. Marvel could have easily put Namor in any number of their MCU films or TV, I'm looking at you, Captain America First Avenger and Agent Carter. And yes, I enjoyed Aquaman, except for all the parts that they stole from Namor.

Uhn oh. Didn't know that. But reminds me, I owe someone a letter. Will see if I can delete a few letters.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Its because Marvel doesn't uses these characters anymore. Even Thor that has always have an ongoing magazine almost uninterrupted you hardly ever see something important done with the Warriors Three, Sif, Karnilla, or any of the supporting characters outside of the main magazine, characters like Tana Nile, Hildegarde, Silas Grant, Ulik, Heirodur are almost forgotten. So Namor not having a regular magazine has made all these character dynamics totally forgotten, most of them are unexisting for Marvel editorial and contemporary writers. There was no need to invent Machlan in the last Invaders series when Namor's pantheon of villains and characters haven't been touched in years. I hate when writers ignore the characters history and just write new things, specially with an 80 year old character.
    I agree that Marvel seems to have forgotten so much of the supporting cast for these characters. Or new writers just don't bother reading older comics.

I thought the same of Machlan, when he first appeared, as it seemed he was an 'old' advisor who had appeared out nowhere. However, that wasn't what Machlan actually was, as for the most part, he wasn't exactly a real flesh and blood character, i.e. Namor was the only one who could see / interact with him, until he possessed Roman. He couldn't be an old rogue, as Zdarsky was using him as a manifestation of Namor's PTSD -- with some help from Professor X.

Yes, poor Vashti indeed. He could have died of a heart attack and it would have been Namor to blame. Thank you Rev. Looking forward to your calendar. And what a great soundtrack! Never listened to that one before!
    I haven't listened to that audiobook either. After that snippet, I'm going to have to look for it and give it a listen. IIRC, it was written by Stuart Moore, so that may be why Namor came off so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I agree and as I have mentioned a few times, it seems that the writers/editors and such of today ignore the past of the characters, all of the supporting cast, including old and obscure (but very good!) villains, plot points, story arcs, relics and mystical elements, even the personality and consistency of the characters. All of these things seem so off to me, that the characters do no not seem like themselves to me. I think most, if not all, of this "new talent" has never read the "old stories" and because of that lack---do not "know" the characters---at least not the way we do.

Even if they "grew up reading" comics in late 80's-early 90's, they still have missed so much because that does not capture all of the essence of the characters and stories. For example, so many fans have mentioned that their first experience with X-Men in general and Jean Grey in particular---was from the 90's X-Men Animated Series. So they got the impression that Jean was less than the other mutants, was weak, always fainted and tripped and called out "Scott!" for everything. Such a shame.

That is why this thread is so important because we can keep the Sea King alive in our hearts and minds the way we know him and his cast to be!
    That's the worst part, IMO. Yes, I miss the supporting cast, but it really hurts when you see your favorite characters, like Namor, written completely out of character. Sadly, a major part of the problem is we don't have a Namor book, so he's always a guest, being used to make other characters look good.

Chapter 2 Page 50 from "The Dissection of King Namor" > Day 9 of 24 days of Namor Christmas

These last two are awesome! I love that you recreated the King Kirby scene from FF Annual #1, WITH the TURTLES!!! Did you do this before or after that cool Ed McGuiness homage?

Mighty Member

I agree that Marvel seems to have forgotten so much of the supporting cast for these characters. Or new writers just don't bother reading older comics.

I thought the same of Machlan, when he first appeared, as it seemed he was an 'old' advisor who had appeared out nowhere. However, that wasn't what Machlan actually was, as for the most part, he wasn't exactly a real flesh and blood character, i.e. Namor was the only one who could see / interact with him, until he possessed Roman. He couldn't be an old rogue, as Zdarsky was using him as a manifestation of Namor's PTSD -- with some help from Professor X.

I haven't listened to that audiobook either. After that snippet, I'm going to have to look for it and give it a listen. IIRC, it was written by Stuart Moore, so that may be why Namor came off so well.

That's the worst part, IMO. Yes, I miss the supporting cast, but it really hurts when you see your favorite characters, like Namor, written completely out of character. Sadly, a major part of the problem is we don't have a Namor book, so he's always a guest, being used to make other characters look good.
    You are right about Machlan being a manifestation but he could have used an older character and give it that role, even Vashti and since it was a manifestation it wouldn't even mind that the character was an old one or even dead. How much more interesting would it have been to see an older character like even a dead ex wife like Dorma or Marrina and we didn't know what was going on if she had been resurrected or what!
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Mighty Member

These last two are awesome! I love that you recreated the King Kirby scene from FF Annual #1, WITH the TURTLES!!! Did you do this before or after that cool Ed McGuiness homage?
    So glad you liked it! I did it after seeing the Ed McGuiness homage.

Mighty Member

Chapter 2 Page 51 from "The Dissection of King Namor" > Day 10 of 24 days of Namor Christmas

Mighty Member

Chapter 2 Page 52 from "The Dissection of King Namor" > Day 11 of 24 days of Namor Christmas

So glad you liked it! I did it after seeing the Ed McGuiness homage.
    It's a classic!

It's great to see Atlanteans cheering Namor.

Wait a sec ... Penny Lou???

Mighty Member

It's a classic!

It's great to see Atlanteans cheering Namor.

Wait a sec ... Penny Lou???
    Doesn't sounds very Atlantean right? The mysteries of these water breathers!

I like this more proportionate Namor, but he is still a little too juicy and meaty, lol.

My old failing eyes... I at first misread the text to the child and thought this was the girl with ESP powers who sensed Dire Wraiths and ended up being turned from surface to below-surface dweller.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Doesn't sounds very Atlantean right? The mysteries of these water breathers!
    LOL! No, not at all. Awaiting the mysteries to be revealed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I like this more proportionate Namor, but he is still a little too juicy and meaty, lol.

My old failing eyes... I at first misread the text to the child and thought this was the girl with ESP powers who sensed Dire Wraiths and ended up being turned from surface to below-surface dweller.
    Was her name Penny Lou? I didn't think so.

I'm somewhat speechless ... but had to share this Lego Christmas Elf Namor. O_O

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXYqyszr..._web_copy_link