Page 16 of 105 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post

Upcoming X-Factor cover.

Looks like Lorna might wrap up that Shatterstar plot thread before the gala.
    X-FACTOR (2020) #9
    One of the most talked about books of today, X-FACTOR has answered some of the biggest questions about the X-Men's new era! The critically acclaimed series by writer Leah Williams and artist David Baldeón has been packed with unpredictable mysteries and fascinating character insights. March's X-FACTOR #8 will see the team of mutant detective's devastating battle with the Morrigan erupt in a showdown that will reach its shocking conclusion in May's X-FACTOR #9, complete with a return visit to the Mojoverse and rockstar guests: Dazzler and Lila Cheney!

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    This is beautiful Lorna!

While I do like the gold and green costume, there is something so unique with the blue teal and green one!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I would say any given writer doesn't necessarily have to bring up any one of your list unless the situation calls for it.

What writers really need to do is keep them in mind when writing Lorna. The character can be written around the plot to a certain degree and writers should be given leeway to have different ideas about a character, but if a run is not at all keeping in mind the characters core life developments then they are writing a different character.

Oh, and as for all the new art with her 1960s classic costume (not her generic space version) it continues to impress.
    Exactly I donīt think itīs neccesary for writers to bring her story over and over again but this background should inform the way they write her and the way she acts with other characters. For example I would like to see a scene in which she interacts with Alex not as just his former girlfriend but as two people who have story together and have their own perspective on how things are on Krakoa, I liked when Hickman did this with her and Scott, for example. Itīs not that those events have to be brought everytime but they definitely should be something the writer can use to get a sense of who sheīs.

She can talk to Syrin, once sheīs rescued from Morrigan, about her being grateful for her sacrifice to help her I donīt think even Peter David quite explained why Teresa decided to make such a big sacrifice for Lorna, thatīs a friendship that could be developed. I would like to see her talking about her issues with Malice, with Sinister, her issues over being mind controlled and maybe training to develop her telepathic shields, on her own or with Jeanīs and Rachel help, or even ask Magneto about his own tecnique to make sure this doesnīt happen again to her.Itīs something important for her character that would allow her to interact in a natural way with others.

I am also curious to see if she still keeps in touch with Pietro, they were friends before they were family and she enjoyed expending time with him, Luna and Crystal. It would make sense to invite him over or for them to see each other at some point.

Thank you Juan, this cover looks really good

X-FACTOR (2020) #9
    One of the most talked about books of today, X-FACTOR has answered some of the biggest questions about the X-Men's new era! The critically acclaimed series by writer Leah Williams and artist David Baldeón has been packed with unpredictable mysteries and fascinating character insights. March's X-FACTOR #8 will see the team of mutant detective's devastating battle with the Morrigan erupt in a showdown that will reach its shocking conclusion in May's X-FACTOR #9, complete with a return visit to the Mojoverse and rockstar guests: Dazzler and Lila Cheney!
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 02-09-2021 at 01:09 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Exactly I donīt think itīs neccesary for writers to bring her story over and over again but this story should inform the way they write her and the way she acts with other characters. For example I would like to see a scene in which she interacts with Alex not as just his former girlfriend but as two people who have story together and have their own perspective on how things are on Krakoa, I liked when Hickman did this with her and Scott, for example. Itīs not that those events have to be brought everytime but they definitely should be something the writer can use get a sense of who sheīs imo.

She can talk to Syrin, once sheīs rescued from Morrigan, about her being grateful for her sacrifice to help her, etc. She talking about her issues with Malice, with Sinester, her issues over being mind controlled and maybe training to develop her telepathic shields, on her own or with Jeanīs and Rachel help, or even ask Magneto about his own tecnique to make sure this doesnīt happen again to her.Itīs something important for her character that would allow her to interact in a natural way with others.
    I don't expect most writers to be walking encyclopedia's about the character or know about Lorna to the level you are discussing. If they are great, but Marvel itself tries to promote creators not to go into the weeds of continuity so as not to dissuade new readers.

I think Leah was on the right track with the broad idea of Lorna being touchy about the death of mutants, but its all the about the situation and degrees.

Writers often talk about doing background reading before taking on a new title and encyplopedic knowledge itīs not neccesary when they can just take a look at the biography of the characters they will be writting in the near future, all I pointed out above can be found in her biography.

I liked parts of Leah X of Sword issue, I liked her feeling responsible for rockslide death but I think she overdid it a little with the "I didnīt ask to be born this way" I donīt have the exact quote but I think that was a little too much. We found she was deeply affected but there was not much a new reader could find to understand why she was feeling such a strong emotion, thatīs my point.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Writers often talk about doing background reading before taking on a new title and encyplopedic knowledge itīs not neccesary when they can just take a look at the biography of the characters they will be writting in the near future, all I pointed out above can be found in her biography.

I liked parts of Leah X of Sword issue, I liked her feeling responsible for rockslide death but I think she overdid it a little with the "I didnīt ask to be born this way" I donīt have the exact quote but I think that was a little too much. We found she was deeply affected but there was not much a new reader could find to understand why she was feeling such a strong emotion, thatīs my point.
    You are right the issue could have used a call back for new readers to understand why she is having a full issue emotional breakdown over something the rest of the cast including Havok, Emma and the rest of the team didn't. Lorna can work in such situations as an emotionally wounded warrior of sorts. But, it all depends on the execution.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-09-2021 at 01:47 PM.

You are right the issue could have really used a call back for new readers to understand why she is having a full issue emotional breakdown over something the rest of the cast including Havok, Emma and the rest of the team didn't. Lorna can work in such situations as an emotionally wounded warrior of sorts. But, it all depends on the execution.

Agreed. Itīs there are just certain character moments where some context can help, not everytime but just when the story calls for it.

By Phil Jimenez artist of New X-Men 132.

There has been an uptick in art of her second classic costume of late by fans and even by Marvel. On that note here is a custom statue someone made.

Last edited by jmc247; 02-24-2021 at 05:15 PM.

Aside from fan work I posted to the Magnus family thread yesterday, there's this piece from last night that I think is too good to not post.

by Douglas Bicalho

I also think the existence of this in itself is a positive sign of Lorna's growing appeal. If you check some of his other media (CBR censors out his main art site for some reason), most of what he's drawn so far is well known characters, so it says quite a bit for Lorna to be among those works.
    Last edited by salarta; 02-23-2021 at 10:05 AM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

By Phil Jimenez artist of New X-Men 132.
    I didn't see this before and it's stunning. Phil Jimenez always did a great job with Lorna but this is the first time I've seen him draw classic Lorna.

I hear via social media that The Gifted is now available on Disney Plus? Given I don't own the app can anyone confirm?

Season one of The Gifted really did have the best single Lorna arc she ever had in any medium mainly because she had an overriding agenda/goal she wanted to accomplish rather then just being a cool green haired character who just kind of exists. She was also ruthless and reckless as Emma Dumont put it something that has worked well for her in the comics when she isn't depicted as an out of control idiot.

This brings back some memories.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I didn't see this before and it's stunning. Phil Jimenez always did a great job with Lorna but this is the first time I've seen him draw classic Lorna.
    He knocked it out of the park in X-Men 132. Without Morrison's script though that was the perfect balance it wouldn't have taken off, but yes Jimenez did two versions of her classic costume.

And, another custom.

Last edited by jmc247; 02-24-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

ComicsXF has an article where fans redesigned Polaris. Some cool looks in here.

https://www.comicsxf.com/2021/02/25/...gning-polaris/

https://www.comicsxf.com/2021/02/25/...gning-polaris/

I love this outfit ! Lorna looks really good in purple (and I miss her Austen-era outfit even more)

The concepts that keep at least her headpiece are obviously the best in terms of the goal to redesign Polaris. Anything without it is missing a key visual piece of her aesthetic.

In terms of simply being A Design as if this is just a random character with no background, I'm going to be biased and say Erik Ojo since I've always liked his work (I've commissioned him for a reason, after all). Then Valentine Smith.

Also the article claims Lorna is "a leader" of X-Factor, which once again, isn't true.

That's not even a subjective statement. Williams explicitly said she isn't the team leader when X-Factor was announced.

While the whole "she's the north star of the team" thing may be interpreted as a form of leader, in reality, Williams wouldn't have felt the need to say Lorna not being team leader "may rub people the wrong way" if that was her intent. So descriptions of Lorna as "a leader" on X-Factor like in this article are either a misconception based on the level of prestige people realize Lorna should have on X-books (particularly a title like X-Factor), or attempted reframing by X-Factor fans to make her role on the book sound better and more important than it actually is.

Edit: Also an awesome Lorna x Jean piece and alt version from su-whisterfield on Tumblr! They're from another post they made of all sorts of characters and pairings of different relationship types.

Last edited by salarta; 02-25-2021 at 12:49 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Hope she makes the X-Men team X-Factor is ok but Lorna should be on the main squad imo....Sunspot was the other choice I wanted if not Lorna.