Page 37 of 105 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast

I wasn't into comics at the time so I could be off base, but I suspect a perception of Lorna and Jean as essentially "same character but different colors" may have been considered a feature rather than a bug back then. The first thing that comes to mind is Mortal Kombat. 90s had a tendency with stuff like that to simply change the colors, maybe one or two slightly different moves, and there you go, two different characters that 99% of the time behaved the exact same way.

Of course, most fiction since then has evolved from the 90s to give characters more depth. Kitana, Mileena and Jade in Mortal Kombat aren't simply the same design with different colors. Visually, their designs are distinct and fit their personalities and histories. Story-wise, Kitana has the regal and diplomatic warrior vibe (with fighting her mother recently built on), Mileena has being more of a cruel iron-fisted ruler of Outworld who wants to pick up Shao Kahn's mantle (she's no longer just trying to be Kitana), and Jade's been a royal bodyguard getting closer to the Kotal Kahn side of things. But it's also not like they have absolutely nothing in common anymore. Mileena was still made off Kitana. Jade's still Kitana's close ally and long-time friend.

Lesson learned, characters need to be distinctive from each other for engaging stories these days, and this even applies to characters that truly did have their origins as palette swaps with minor tweaks to what they can do.

I think what we've seen of X-Men #1 is promising so far in terms of their costumes. They have similarities and differences. I would vastly prefer Lorna wearing a modernized version of her iconic costume, but as I've said, I'm okay with this given Lorna's placement and awareness of her. I can't say anything about depictions yet because I think we need to see more; previews look promising for Lorna, need to see more of Jean.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

But one could say that it looks more like Jean with an uncolored and unfinished Phoenix drawing, with hair miscolored. But it is supposed to be Polaris!

Didn't anyone look at this before it went out? The "Jean/Lorna" character was barely drawn and definitely not completed.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

The color is muddy but thats definitely green, not brown. The costume should have been colored in and it looks a bit lazy and rushed that it wasnt

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The color is muddy but thats definitely green, not brown. The costume should have been colored in and it looks a bit lazy and rushed that it wasnt
    I think it's dependent on your monitor/screen settings. It looks more on the side of brown to me, but I can see how it might look green with some changes.\

For the heck of it, I copied/pasted the image into Paint, used the dropper, got its info (red 151, green 120, blue 54) then plugged it into this color name & hue site. It says the color's buttered rum with a yellow hue. Soooo maybe she's just drunk!

Or we can just headcanon that she changed her hair color with her powers and call it a day.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I think it's dependent on your monitor/screen settings. It looks more on the side of brown to me, but I can see how it might look green with some changes.\

For the heck of it, I copied/pasted the image into Paint, used the dropper, got its info (red 151, green 120, blue 54) then plugged it into this color name & hue site. It says the color's buttered rum with a yellow hue. Soooo maybe she's just drunk!

Or we can just headcanon that she changed her hair color with her powers and call it a day.
    I am glad you did that because my eyes see the color as brown, not green by any stretch.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

A fan made collaborative MMO.

Link

One of the top topics of the year not much talked about on this thread is the massive upsurge this year in readership of HoM and its various minis. What started as tens of millions of people watching Wanda on TV with some HoM inspired themes led to a surge in discussion of that universe and then readership of the main book and then all the other side minis.

The impact for Lorna should be interesting to see. Her role in the universe was a small, but solid. Many fans with little knowledge of the comics are being introduced to reading the character for the first time through the series.

What that means for the character is hard to say, but the past year did alot to rebuild interest in the universe after it was stifled for many years because of the film rights issues.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-11-2021 at 08:18 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Polaris does next to nothing in X-Factor unfortunately. A bit disappointed that she didn't play any part in freeing spoilers:
    Shatterstar
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Polaris does next to nothing in X-Factor unfortunately. A bit disappointed that she didn't play any part in freeing spoilers:
    Shatterstar
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I thought the fact she was able to casually hold down a goddess was pretty cool, but yeah she didn't do much.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    spoilers:
    I thought the fact she was able to casually hold down a goddess was pretty cool, but yeah she didn't do much.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    With her magnetism or her hands?
    end of spoilers

I'm good with her not doing anything in this issue. Besides, it's better for the book to put more emphasis on the other characters leading into the trial.

Anyway, a piece of Lorna and Wanda by Dylan Macri.

I'm good with her not doing anything in this issue. Besides, it's better for the book to put more emphasis on the other characters leading into the trial.

I really like this pic. Lorna looks in great shape and beautiful here.

I have a question for you Salarta. Does the yearly election mean that Lorna will be off the X-men after this year is up? Or does it mean new members get elected with Lorna still on the X-men?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Shatterstar
    end of spoilers
    This issue felt a little to me like the “we know we’re getting canceled so have to wrap up a few plotlines at the same time” issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    This issue felt a little to me like the “we know we’re getting canceled so have to wrap up a few plotlines at the same time” issue.
    Not just wrap up the existing plotlines, but get everything set up for the upcoming Magneto trial too. So I'm expecting the pacing for issue 10 to feel a bit frantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    I have a question for you Salarta. Does the yearly election mean that Lorna will be off the X-men after this year is up? Or does it mean new members get elected with Lorna still on the X-men?
    I don't know since I'm not aware of what Marvel's plans are. They confirmed somewhere that yearly meant real world time, not comic book time, but afaik they've never said the entire team would have to change or the character who won the vote would have to leave when a year was up. Lorna could be out after a year, or she could stick around while other characters leave, we'll need more info from Marvel.