Page 84 of 105 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1571

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I thought it was during those issues with Lorna's premiere? Hmmn, I will have to check on this later.

I believe in #48 (I will recheck this as well) while Jean was modeling, the set-supervisor was named "Mr. Dane". Seems kind of far-fetched to just be a stranger with the same name as Lorna who was becoming the main story. Perhaps this is the man that Iceman tracked down.
    It was the 60s, so while it's possible someone might have meant for that Mr. Dane to be her foster father, it's also possible they just wanted to use the name more than once. We don't have any confirmation or evidence leaning either way.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    It was the 60s, so while it's possible someone might have meant for that Mr. Dane to be her foster father, it's also possible they just wanted to use the name more than once. We don't have any confirmation or evidence leaning either way.
    Oh, I totally agree.

But, using the name Dane in the same story issues and just before Lorna is revealed as Lorna Dane? That seems just a little to...auspicious, 1960's or not. The man appeared to be in his 40's with brown hair.

Mesmero wanted a "living goddess" and a "Queen of Mutants" as I remember him calling Lorna, even before he saw what the Stimulator was doing/going to do to her as far as powers.

It was in issue 52 where Lorna learns "Magneto" lied to her and that she is not his daughter. But it is the same story. The story runs from 48-52. Even Lorna states that he invented this cruel lie just to steal her powers.

Magneto himself in XM # 112 I believe, says something like, "Why, I do not even know the man! The Magneto this fool served (speaking about Mesmero, who is a fool), the one who claimed to be the father of Lorna Dane, was a robot!"
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 09-23-2021 at 10:05 AM.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

The original parentage revel was X-Men 50-51 in the Devil had a Daughter/Queen of Mutants storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    He did? Cause the Magneto in that story was a ROBOT, not the real Magneto.

What other stories in the 1960's did they appear in together where he showed his reverence towards Lorna?
    It was actually well after the storyline under a different set of writers in X-Men 58 that he was a robot created by Magneto was factored in. I am pretty sure it was editorial who ordered the retcon though it’s never been confirmed either way.

In the modern era they started playing around with the idea of bringing it back in the 90s. Lorna’s Genosha storyline was in many ways a replay of her original 60s storyline though somewhat better written. Lorna was calling Magneto her father under Morrison’s pen in New X-Men 132 and then early Austen before the backstory was told in so far as how she found out in UXM 430-431.

baumblume

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

The original parentage revel was X-Men 50-51 in the Devil had a Daughter/Queen of Mutants storyline.

It was actually well after the storyline under a different set of writers in X-Men 58 that he was a robot created by Magneto was factored in. I am pretty sure it was editorial who ordered the retcon though it’s never been confirmed either way.

In the modern era they started playing around with the idea of bringing it back in the 90s. Lorna’s Genosha storyline was in many ways a replay of her original 60s storyline though somewhat better written. Lorna was calling Magneto her father under Morrison’s pen in New X-Men 132 and then early Austen before the backstory was told in so far as how she found out in UXM 430-431.

Back in 1995 when the Age of Apocalypse came out, the general consensus was that she wasn't Magneto's daughter. Therefore you end up with Dark Beast explaining to Havok, Northstar & Aurora that he'd already done DNA testing on Polaris to determine whether there were any familial connections to Magneto... and had already discovered that she wasn't related to him.
    But she is his kid in 616

Lorna's one of those characters that's been chronically underestimated, both in and out of universe, and I like to think a story reason for it could enter into the picture some day.

Her original storyline presented her as a major potential threat to the X-Men (as they were at that time) combined, and the fiction went from that to everyone and their dog being capable of beating her. What could've happened back then to cause such a change? What about Genosha and post-Genosha led to her becoming a real threat again, before Decimation? And why, after getting her powers back, was she back to not being much of a threat most of the time?

We have an obvious out-of-universe explanation for these changes in treatment. But in-universe, we have to wonder what's affecting her powers and capabilities in this way.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by baumblume View Post
    Back in 1995 when the Age of Apocalypse came out, the general consensus was that she wasn't Magneto's daughter. Therefore you end up with Dark Beast explaining to Havok, Northstar & Aurora that he'd already done DNA testing on Polaris to determine whether there were any familial connections to Magneto... and had already discovered that she wasn't related to him.
    But she is his kid in 616
    Whatever they do AU is irrelevant to the 616 universe yes, but think about it they have Lorna spend the whole storyline thinking Magneto is her father and interact with the world as such. That it was swiped away by Dark Beast was immaterial to what I think what was called then the bullpen was thinking. Then three years later in Mutant X in 1998 they actually have them be family which was a sizable side story there.

Point being I am pretty sure they were testing the fan response in a medium that didn’t matter for 616 continuity before deciding what they did on the matter in regular continuity.

Last edited by jmc247; 09-23-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Agreed! I thought she had some stellar moments.

Yes, in those moments I could feel it, amazing, I hope it stays that way!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I have a feeling, in the long run, Duggan is going to delve deeper into and explore the aspects that make each character unique, including Lorna’s academic accomplishments, which will be fantastic to see highlighted. She’s such an underrated and underused character. I’m glad to see her being treated with dignity, respect, and lots of fun in this series. I look forward to getting to know her better!
    Wow yes, I really hope that happens, I know some here just don't care, but when a writer really gets involved and immerses in character, he can explore various facets of Polaris' PhD, and not be too vague (since some of the usual ones are forgotten), I can already imagine a Polaris solo where they explore this side of "Doctor Dane", using her powers in her area.

Dr Polaris act very childish in the last issue. Me no like.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    In issues #1 and #2 she felt like a perhaps 27 year old ‘urban princess’ which was good. There were a few moments in issue #3 that felt a bit youthful in spots which is something to watch.

The throw hands scene was fun. I think I recall Duggan using that term in his podcasts for fighting/boxing.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-23-2021 at 09:11 PM.

Not sure why we're talking about a DC character but I'll go with it.

BANNED

The only think thing Polaris is that she was not used in the Claremont era, save for Malice. Then she was in the 90s X-Factor team, which didn’t last. Writers are guided on what had previously been established by characters, and Polaris sue not get good 80s or 90s stories. She has gotten good 21st century stories, and I loved her in the Gifted.

Of course her development was cut of n
    It’s knees by movies rights issues including retconning the twins parentage.
    Last edited by WallStreeter; 09-24-2021 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    The only think thing Polaris suggested is she was not used in the Claremont era, save for Malice. Then she was in the 90s X-Factor team, which didn’t last. Writers are guided on what had previously been established by characters, and Polaris sue not get good 80s or 90s stories. She has gotten good 21st century stories, and I loved her in the Gifted.

Of course her development was cut of n
    It’s knees by movies rights issues including retconning the twins parentage.
    Sadly the bad ideas for her character from her early 90s mother hen depiction and the 80s possessed ideas lingered. The Gifted season one was an anti-hero arc and schism with her team done very well. Lorna of the Claremont era could have been an on and off antagonist to the X-Men successfully if Claremont cared enough to not do it using mind control.

Link
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-24-2021 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Although I think that sometimes the team has the impression of "a super team of best friends", I understand your opinion on this issue, Polaris acted on impulse, not caring about the reins of the situation, underestimated Luminous (this character is very powerful), but I liked his courage and attitude, unafraid of shedding a drop of blood on the front lines.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Not sure why we're talking about a DC character but I'll go with it.

lolol Polaris is a dr now right?

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I agree Duggan´s Polaris can be too juvenile sometimes but then also Scott, Rogue and most of the cast with the exception of Jean and Sunfire. I think Duggan should get more into the bones of the characters and what makes them tick by themselves or as a team and the idea of the "monster of the week" is not helping the title to develop as a new incarnation of the X-men because it´s gives the sensation that there´s no progress, I hope now after HE appareance things will get more into the development of the main story but I have the perception that not a lot of things will move along until Inferno is done so in the mean time a better handle of the characters and more interaction inside the team would be great.

On Polaris front I have noticed this juvenile take can become an issue if it´s not addressed Lorna is a veteran X-man with a PHD under her belt so it could come sometiems into the conversation of the characters between missions and I don´t think she understimated Luminous, it was just that she´s too powerful and needs to be taken down by two people at the same time, she can control probabilities like Wanda and is quicker than Quicksilver but most of the team was defeated imo so I think they were just not ready to attack HE. It will be interesting when we see the inevitable showdown when they defeat his team.

Now about Lorna and Magneto family ties, well, she indeed was going to be the daughter of Magneto, in fact, even when Claremont wrote that scene of Magneto denying her being his daughter, he had plans at the end of his run to reveal they were indeed family, of course, I don´t think he had the same thing in mind as the one that ended happening because he had to leave the title and a lot of his subplots were left open for other writers to tackle and Lorna was no longer thought of as Magneto´s child until they played a little with the idea when Lorna accepted going with Magneto to Genosha to train her powers, despite them being not recognized family he tried to get closer to her emotionally speaking than he normally does with other members of his teams and when she opposed him during Dark Seduction and she was send out of Genosha along with Pietro and Wanda, it was clear, at least when it comes to subtext, he considered her his daughter, or at least close enough, bassically him choosing his powers and his control over Genosha even if this put him on bad terms with Pietro, Wanda and Lorna was the choice he made at the time and he later regretted greatly during HoM, in fact we could see his stories with them post HoM as him making up for this decision in particular.

Then it came Morrison and Austen take on Lorna post Genosha massacre, I am very critical of their work but they made the right call here, because they rescued this subplot and gave it a deeper meaning having Lorna and Magneto share the experience of seeing Genosha destroyed and use their powers to try to rescue what little was left, it was a nice way of confirming their family ties and then came the DNA test, Bendis including her on HoM and later Peter David with the origin story on X-factor and it all makes sense,imo, this was no retcon, it was more a story that was a subplot for too many years until marvel decided to make it official.

Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-24-2021 at 04:26 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

"To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022