Page 36 of 105 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I don't really care what happens between them in Hellions tbh. It looks like Lorna is saving Alex from her father, and I don't think it will go any further then that. Regardless, Lorna is on to bigger and better things, and won't be around Alex much at all in the future.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 05-06-2021 at 03:31 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Uh oh

I love Wells but I don't know what to think about it

However the father daughter hug is cute
    Agreed Magnus doesn´t like at all to see Alex talk with Lorna but he´s defenseless for his daughter hugs

I don´t know if they will be a couple again but with him on Hellions and Lorna with the X-men I don´t think there will be a big opportunity for them to actually interact much. I think Wells would write them very well but I think it would do Lorna good to have other relationships.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Oye. Lorna look behind Mags if you are looking for a bed partner Mystique seems available.

We probably have another two years before they throw them back together full time or try to pull a Romeo and Juliet. Lets hope Lorna can branch out her relationships and develop some new ones friendly, contentious, and romantic. I will say I do like how the artist did her eyes.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-06-2021 at 03:24 PM.

Lorna and Havok

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Lorna and Havok

LOL!

Yeah, so last decade.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I don't really care what happens between them in Hellions tbh. It looks like Lorna is saving Alex from her father, and I don't think it will go any further then that. Regardless, Lorna is on to bigger and better things, and won't be around Alex much at all in the future.
    I agree with that. Of course they’re is always the chance they could get back together. Like that crack that Sinister made to Magneto at the quiet council about Lorna staying away from Havok. There might be something to that later on. It would be nice they stay friends and that’s it. Lorna and Alex need to move on from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    About impact of Gifted, let's say the show never happened. Let's say Banshee won. Would we see an argument of "Well Banshee only won because he was in that First Class film" cropping up? I don't really see a whole lot of complaint about Banshee on the poll over that. It makes me wonder about the underlying reasons for complaint. On the flipside, if it really was Gifted that caused Lorna to win, that kind of lends an argument that Lorna is an absolutely viable character if she has decent enough visibility with a good depiction.

It's also worth mentioning that Emma Dumont, Lorna's actress on Gifted, didn't talk about or promote the vote at all. So any votes for Lorna as a result of Gifted came from lingering interest in the character rather than any sort of big Gifted fandom push.

But all of that aside, it's a huge assumption to think "all those people who voted for Lorna aren't going to read the comics she's in." Maybe those fans will pick up a comic for the first time because Lorna won the vote. Either out of interest in the character, or feeling like they have a stake in the book after their vote led to this outcome. Maybe they're people who used to read comics and stopped because the comics haven't been doing anything they wanted to read, and now they will. I'm in that category; Lorna winning the vote, and initial impressions being good so far, means I'm planning to buy and read all the Hellfire Gala comics and each issue of X-Men as it comes out starting with the first issue that has Lorna on it.

As many have said, the premise of "they're all Gifted fans and they shouldn't have been allowed to vote" is very gatekeepy. It also suggests that comics should be treated like The Village where nothing from the outside modern world is allowed to have any kind of impact. For starters, either we wouldn't have Laura Kinney, or she wouldn't have the profile she does. She started as an X-Men Evolution character before coming into the comics, after all. And that's just the direct popularity/brand awareness talk. Same thinking could be used to argue that Marvel should completely ignore real world political and social circumstances when making their comics. It's a very slippery slope.
    Totally agree with everything you said. It's not like they put Wolverine in the poll. Lorna was adapted for the Gifted because the character has great story potential, so it's nice to see that come back around in a positive way.

I'm also getting annoyed with hearing that a POC or LGBTQ+ character should have gotten the spot instead of Lorna, because the responsibility should have been on Duggan to include more diversity in the set roster.

Edit: Just saw the panels with Havok... their interactions should have been left to him congratulating her when she won the vote.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 05-06-2021 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Totally agree with everything you said. It's not like they put Wolverine in the poll. Lorna was adapted for the Gifted because the character has great story potential, so it's nice to see that come back around in a positive way.

I'm also getting annoyed with hearing that a POC or LGBTQ+ character should have gotten the spot instead of Lorna, because the responsibility should have been on Duggan to include more diversity in the set roster.

Edit: Just saw the panels with Havok... their interactions should have been left to him congratulating her when she won the vote.
    Thanks, it's been strange and interesting to see social media talk go from "Her popularity from Gifted doesn't matter cause it was a Fox show and nobody watched it anyway" before the vote to "Well of course she won/will win, she's incredibly popular and known and had/has an unfair advantage because of Gifted" during and after the vote.

I understand people being upset there aren't more POC on the team. As I said before, if I felt Lorna had been getting used and treated well in recent years, I would've voted for Tempo. But as you said, it's really not the character's fault that the team doesn't have more diversity in that sense. Marvel also could've changed Lorna (or other characters, too) from white. There's a good amount of Lorna fanart (and of course the Magnus family as a whole) with her as a person of color. Though such a change would have to be carefully considered and depicted. E.g. "explaining" it with resurrection could be a very Rachel Dolezal kind of thing.

I didn't include LGBTQ+ in that last comment because I like to think Lorna secretly is or could become LGBTQ+.

I think I might have been more okay with Lorna and Havok interacting if it was simply him congratulating her. I'd still be annoyed, and I'd have my guard up just in case it turned out to be something more, but I'd still have bought Hellions if that's all it was. A simple congratulations is the sort of thing that can be shrugged at as a nice gesture no different from Banshee doing it. But this, with Marvel's terrible history regarding this pairing, and especially after X-Factor's "I drunk dialed Havok" bit, it's hard for fans not to see this preview and expect Marvel to show the worst parts of itself.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TraneTrax View Post
    I really like this version of the dress here. Maybe it doesn't look as good in motion?
    It's actually a fine dress, but it's a horrible pose. It really makes her look like she's a mannikin rather than a living being.
    Lorna needs to watch more red carpet videos.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Thanks, it's been strange and interesting to see social media talk go from "Her popularity from Gifted doesn't matter cause it was a Fox show and nobody watched it anyway" before the vote to "Well of course she won/will win, she's incredibly popular and known and had/has an unfair advantage because of Gifted" during and after the vote.
    HAHAHA sometimes it is hard for people accept that character is popular, with or without a tv show

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    The Gifted in its first season really helped turn the character into a household name and not just in the US and it was a really good theme that managed to play on the aspects of the character that work the best in the comics and animation (WATXM) that being her desire to make a better world and her desire not to be trapped by the legacy mistakes of the past.

Comic writers that dumbed the idea down to her boyfriend or father who is she loyal to failed. I would argue The Gifted season 2, especially the second half, failed because it simplified her story down to Reeva vs Eclipse who she is loyal to as well. If Marvel wants to build an interesting Lorna it has to give her strongly held views of her own.

Last edited by jmc247; 05-07-2021 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BAS View Post
    It's actually a fine dress, but it's a horrible pose. It really makes her look like she's a mannikin rather than a living being.
    Lorna needs to watch more red carpet videos.
    Taken entirely by itself, and treating it like a real world dress, I would agree with it being a fine dress. I could see it being a big deal in our world with all our limitations. Or in the Marvel universe, I could see Lorna wearing it if she was just going out to dinner at an expensive restaurant with no special occasion in mind.

The problem is, this is supposed to be the biggest fancy event the mutant world has ever had. This dress doesn't have anything that truly touches on either her identity, her personality or her history, and it doesn't use her powers. Like, even with just this design, they could've had Lorna constantly changing its colors - she's able to control the electromagnetic spectrum, after all. That would have at least made use of something particular to her. As it is, it's just a dress. There's nothing of Lorna or the Marvel universe in it. It's a fine dress for the real world, but people read comics about people with superpowers to get something more than what they can see on the evening news.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I was re-reading The Twelve Saga which was a bridge between the 90s and 00s.

My general sense was writers of the era didn’t know what to do with them and showed they were growing apart but from time to time respected they once had been friends.

I would not even know that was Polaris in the scene! Brown hair, white body suit and bluish/purplish energy that looks exactly like Jean's in the previous panel. <Sigh>
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I would not even know that was Polaris in the scene! Brown hair, white body suit and bluish/purplish energy that looks exactly like Jean's in the previous panel. <Sigh>
    In alot of their 90s stuff they were like color swapped versions of the same character and that wasn't good for many of their scenes together I felt.