Page 43 of 105 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    There's really a lot of possibilities with her powers and ways to express her individuality through them, both specifically with metalbending and beyond it into the electromagnetic aspects that aren't connected to manipulating metal. I'm reluctant to give any specifics in the off chance someone from Marvel might see it here and that it would mean them not pursuing any of those possibilities. But there's been lots of academic/medical research related to electromagnetism over the past decade that could easily be mined for applications and wouldn't detract from what Jean or Storm can do. Also lots of ways electromagnetism is expressed and functions as a part of our world both natural and man-made. I think these kind of statements are safely broad enough - that if they were treated as "too specific to pursue" then it would basically mean Marvel never using her powers at all.
    I definitely get that. I just wish they'd get creative already!

I've decided I wanna make a post listing things I consider positives in work I've read over the past decade as it released. It's not a judgment that a particular writer is good or bad, or even necessarily a full representation of all the good things they've done. I'm purposely omitting any cons. Also some of this might be out of order. Also also, a positive for one doesn't instantly mean the others don't have that positive too.

• Carey (Five Miles South of the Universe): restored Lorna as a mutant, acknowledged Lorna is Magneto's daughter after nearly a decade of that ignored in comics, brought Lorna (and the rest of the Starjammers) back from space
    • X-Factor (2012): provided Lorna with a very good and long overdue origin story after she went over 40 years without one, allowed Lorna to separate from Havok again, let Lorna connect with Pietro again
    • Marjorie Liu (Astonishing X-Men): Acknowledged as part of Iceman's relationship history, time as Pestilence also mentioned, theoretically might have talked to Nurse Annie "off panel"
    • All-New X-Factor (2014): Lorna got to lead a team as its intended leader for the first time, got closer to her brother Pietro and had an issue with her sister Wanda, implied new romance with Gambit
    • Secret Wars House of M: awesome personality, clever and powerful in combat, great dynamics with other characters, very diplomatic
    • Incredible Hulk (I think that's what it was called): issues set in the past that acknowledged Lorna as part of the early team shortly after O5 was established
    • Bunn: Lorna and Magneto worked together well in coordinating their power usage, and first time they interacted since Carey
    • Uncanny X-Men (event, 2018): Lorna got to be in an actual X-Men event for the first time in over a decade, and she had good collaboration both as part of a team (reading Magneto's EM signature) and the fastball special with Laura Kinney
    • HoX/DoX/X-Men #1: Used as a genetic base for Chimeras (genetics paired with Emma's raises some interesting thoughts), Lorna needing to be informed how resurrection works seemed fine (as in, it's not like she had prior experience to draw from)
    • X-Factor (2020): no sexism, inventive uses of powers compared to the usual "throw metal around" approach

I'll add if I realize I missed anything that I think needs to be mentioned, otherwise here it is!
    Last edited by salarta; 05-28-2021 at 10:09 AM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I've decided I wanna make a post listing things I consider positives in work I've read over the past decade as it released. It's not a judgment that a particular writer is good or bad, or even necessarily a full representation of all the good things they've done. I'm purposely omitting any cons. Also some of this might be out of order. Also also, a positive for one doesn't instantly mean the others don't have that positive too.

• Carey (Five Miles South of the Universe): restored Lorna as a mutant, acknowledged Lorna is Magneto's daughter after nearly a decade of that ignored in comics, brought Lorna (and the rest of the Starjammers) back from space
    • X-Factor (2012): provided Lorna with a very good and long overdue origin story after she went over 40 years without one, allowed Lorna to separate from Havok again, let Lorna connect with Pietro again
    • Marjorie Liu (Astonishing X-Men): Acknowledged as part of Iceman's relationship history, time as Pestilence also mentioned, theoretically might have talked to Nurse Annie "off panel"
    • All-New X-Factor (2014): Lorna got to lead a team as its intended leader for the first time, got closer to her brother Pietro and had an issue with her sister Wanda, implied new romance with Gambit
    • Secret Wars House of M: awesome personality, clever and powerful in combat, great dynamics with other characters, very diplomatic
    • Incredible Hulk (I think that's what it was called): issues set in the past that acknowledged Lorna as part of the early team shortly after O5 was established
    • Bunn: Lorna and Magneto worked together well in coordinating their power usage, and first time they interacted since Carey
    • Uncanny X-Men (event, 2018): Lorna got to be in an actual X-Men event for the first time in over a decade, and she had good collaboration both as part of a team (reading Magneto's EM signature) and the fastball special with Laura Kinney
    • HoX/DoX/X-Men #1: Used as a genetic base for Chimeras (genetics paired with Emma's raises some interesting thoughts), Lorna needing to be informed how resurrection works seemed fine (as in, it's not like she had prior experience to draw from)
    • X-Factor (2020): no sexism, inventive uses of powers compared to the usual "throw metal around" approach

I'll add if I realize I missed anything that I think needs to be mentioned, otherwise here it is!
    Awesome post! I hate to see appreciation threads drowned in negativity and I definitely might revisit some of these moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Awesome post! I hate to see appreciation threads drowned in negativity and I definitely might revisit some of these moments.
    Thanks! Sometimes it can be necessary to be critical or negative depending on what's going on. But it's also good to remember positives at times. It's practically impossible for anything to be exclusively bad or good with no redeeming qualities or faults to speak of. Acknowledging both is really important for progress.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

X-Factor 10 by Miguel Mercado

A well rendered variant cover I would say.

In terms of the topic being discussed I always try to be fair and even handed with writers discussing what I think is working and what isn't. I also fully appreciate Lorna is a harder character to capture then most other x-women. Many writers like to go back to iconic runs for source material on characters. That tact doesn't work too well with Lorna as a fair bit of her best stuff can be found on less then critically acclaimed runs.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-31-2021 at 11:14 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

A different artist can really make a difference. Miguel did a great job with Lorna's Gala dress (even if I'm still not too fond of it).

awesome cover Hellfire Gala Lorna

Thanks jmc247
    Last edited by juan678; 05-31-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    A different artist can really make a difference. Miguel did a great job with Lorna's Gala dress (even if I'm still not too fond of it).
    Agreed. This cover makes me think I'd like the dress if it was floor length.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

X-Factor 10 by Miguel Mercado

A well rendered variant cover I would say.

In terms of the topic being discussed I always try to be fair and even handed with writers discussing what I think is working and what isn't. I also fully appreciate Lorna is a harder character to capture then most other x-women. Many writers like to go back to iconic runs for source material on characters. That tact doesn't work too well with Lorna as a fair bit of her best stuff can be found on less then critically acclaimed runs.
    This is gorgeous! I see Emma Dumont in the face.

https://donnatroyprincessofthemyscir...-patrick-kelly

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

Thanks jmc247
    Your welcome Juan. There is still a great deal of interest out there for The Gifted Polaris. Season two was a letdown, but there was a great deal of good to be had from the first season.

Unknown Comics announces two exclusive X-Factor 10 spoiler covers.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-31-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Yeah, I find that dress boring af but damn if he didn't make it look great! Lorna's and Jubilee's dresses have both been done big favours getting the interpretation of a different artist

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin K. View Post
    This is gorgeous! I see Emma Dumont in the face.
    Agreed I still don´t like the dress but it looks awesome done this way
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

https://donnatroyprincessofthemyscir...-patrick-kelly

Your welcome Juan. There is still a great deal of interest out there for The Gifted Polaris. Season two was a letdown, but there was a great deal of good to be had from the first season.

Unknown Comics announces two exclusive X-Factor 10 spoiler covers.
    I still don’t like the dress for this event! I like that has more green and lines to it but I was hoping for halo or energy hair to it. Maybe add some metals to it that change constantly.
    I am curious as to the conversations for her and Mags, Jean, Scott and Xavier. It should prove interesting to see what each character says to Lorna after she’s announced the winner.

As I said before, the dress would have been good if it was for a random fancy event, and it would have been astounding for a real world fashion event with all the real world limitations on design. As something that's supposed to be worn at the most important fancy mutant event ever held, it's bad. It doesn't capture her identity or the design possibilities of her universe. Certain artists may draw it in a way that's appealing, but the underlying issues remain the same.

Since we're on the topic, I may as well post a couple more Gala designs made by fans.

by Gary Purdy

by Matt Skipworth

A new team is born in X-MEN #21. For his final issue on this series, Jonathan Hickman will be joined by artists Nick Dragotta, Russell Dauterman, Sara Pichelli, and Lucas Werneck as the heroes of Krakoa are officially unveiled. Cyclops and Jean Grey have hand-picked a team that includes Rogue, Synch, Wolverine (Laura Kinney), and Sunfire. Additionally, Polaris won the election to join the team as well. It’s a powerful lineup, and they’ll need all of their abilities to face the challenges ahead after the Hellfire Gala ends.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...la-full-lineup
    Info for X-Men #21 next week.

In terms of Hellions this week the author has a fine pen and it was a good issue. I don't have much else to say other then I hope her story doesn't go down the path of trying to treat her as naïve about politics.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPl4RwEAbGv/?hl=en

By Sergei Titov

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    I still don’t like the dress for this event! I like that has more green and lines to it but I was hoping for halo or energy hair to it. Maybe add some metals to it that change constantly.
    I am curious as to the conversations for her and Mags, Jean, Scott and Xavier. It should prove interesting to see what each character says to Lorna after she’s announced the winner.
    The dress is nowhere up to the quality put into some of the others (including Rachel where thought was given to her personality and history) I will agree with you there. Monotone green has sort of killed my interest in Lorna wearing her X-Men in space outfit compared to her classic outfits which have two or three secondary colors. But, its a better take on the dress then we have seen on the new cover.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-02-2021 at 07:09 AM.