Page 100 of 105 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1571

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Now that its been a bit, I wanted to post on of my favorite pages from X-Men:

Loved seeing Polaris doing something like this again. A nice throwback to something Lorna has pulled off a couple of times in the past. Really excited to see what else Duggan has in store for Lorna.
    Her powers being worked out creatively, and coming out with a little “Magnetic Girl” was all I wanted.

From Uncanny X-Men #52 (1968):

Jean preps and seasons him…

Lorna cooks him…

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Now that its been a bit, I wanted to post on of my favorite pages from X-Men:

Loved seeing Polaris doing something like this again. A nice throwback to something Lorna has pulled off a couple of times in the past. Really excited to see what else Duggan has in store for Lorna.
    Duggan has managed a good use of Lorna's powers so far yes. He has also managed to move Lorna's ethics back toward something that works for the character and her history very well.

I really don't understand why more runs haven't picked up Lorna works by far better when not practicing for sainthood or the nunnery.

Some runs have a habit of Lorna talking tough, but never acting perhaps so writers could preserve her virtue which often makes it look like she is just compensating for her own insecurities and doesn't mean what she says.

A Lorna that won't bring down the hammer doesn't feel like Lorna to me. There is some discussion on Twitter of this.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-05-2021 at 10:02 AM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Agreed, I think post Genosha, Lorna should keep her personality from Austen run, yes, she´s a hero but is not afraid to attack with more force when the situation calls for it and she has plenty of experience and control over her powers now, so Duggan has written her very well on that perspective, he just needs to add also her political pov, that we could see with Asuten and DnA when she visited Crystal. Would love to see her political pov in the story where they are representing Krakoa and being heros for the world. We can keep the coffe, just add her political perspective.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Surprising audiences, Emma Dumont (The Gifted), Lenore Zann (X-Men '97), Gerry Duggan (Marvel's X-Men Writer), and Fabian Nicieza (X-Force, X-Men) all made virtual appearances expressing their appreciation for the X-Men fan community.

Duggan, the current writer of X-Men Comics, had this to say: "You X-Fans are the most opinionated, outrageous, and fun fans around and that's because X-Men comic books are the best comic books in the world. Your passion for these characters is boundless, and that's why this all works. Don't resurrect anyone I wouldn't this weekend…if anything bad happens this weekend, let it happen to Avengers fans."

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/x-men-th...rvels-mutants/
    Info about the convention that Duggan and Emma D. guest appeared on.

Agreed, I think post Genosha, Lorna should keep her personality from Austen run, yes, she´s a hero but is not afraid to attack with more force when the situation calls for it and she has plenty of experience and control over her powers now, so Duggan has written her very well on that perspective, he just needs to add also her political pov, that we could see with Asuten and DnA when she visited Crystal. Would love to see her political pov in the story where they are representing Krakoa and being heros for the world. We can keep the coffe, just add her political perspective.
    In terms of aggression classic Lorna had it, Claremont took it away, but I would say Austen did much more to make it a character trait and didn’t hedge on the issue as most of her 90s writers did.

What some clearly have problems with is they look to certain big name writers for ideas and definitive takes on characters. Typically Claremont for characters of Lorna’s era. For Lorna that doesn’t work as it does with many characters because Lorna’s best stuff is tucked away in less then iconic runs.

I would say certain writers gave gifts to the character that work for her. PAD accented her sarcasm and that works for the character. Austen accented her less morally encumbered and restrained streak and her mutant activist edge which works for the character.

Alan Davis really in just a few issues wrote the best Lorna and Magneto relationship take. DnA as you said played up her political side which works for the character though we haven’t seen any of since then.

Duggan and Larraz’s contribution so far to Lorna is urban princess Lorna.

But, you are correct the two biggest still existing holes in her character happens to be not knowing what she thinks and feels about the current status quo and not explaining her motivation and connecting it to her history.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-05-2021 at 10:47 AM.

AIPT: So, while we’re talking about whether characters were right or wrong, I have to ask… did Jean Grey meddle in the X-Men Election?

Jordan: Did she meddle in the election? No, she just changed Polaris’ speech, that’s all. There are ways to interpret it. I saw people interpreting it in various different ways. I don’t interpret it in a dark way.

Now that said, Jean has a history of using information that she has gotten telepathically that she probably shouldn’t have gotten telepathically, but she’s a telepath. What else are you going to do? Generally speaking, 95% of the time, when she’s using her power, the person she’s using it on is not going, “Yeah, totally read my mind.” Like maybe not 95%. That’s a bit much, because they do use it to communicate a lot, but you know what I mean. When she goes out to fight a villain or is even just in public like, “Oh, what’s happening?” Her power is going into people’s heads.

And also, one side note: I did see people saying like, “Obviously that’s the wrong thing to do, that’s why the X-Men don’t just go around changing people’s minds all the time.” I was like, have you read the X-Men comics, because they do that quite a bit.

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/12/06/x-...men-unlimited/

baumblume

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    AIPT: So, while we’re talking about whether characters were right or wrong, I have to ask… did Jean Grey meddle in the X-Men Election?

Jordan: Did she meddle in the election? No, she just changed Polaris’ speech, that’s all. There are ways to interpret it. I saw people interpreting it in various different ways. I don’t interpret it in a dark way.

Now that said, Jean has a history of using information that she has gotten telepathically that she probably shouldn’t have gotten telepathically, but she’s a telepath. What else are you going to do? Generally speaking, 95% of the time, when she’s using her power, the person she’s using it on is not going, “Yeah, totally read my mind.” Like maybe not 95%. That’s a bit much, because they do use it to communicate a lot, but you know what I mean. When she goes out to fight a villain or is even just in public like, “Oh, what’s happening?” Her power is going into people’s heads.

And also, one side note: I did see people saying like, “Obviously that’s the wrong thing to do, that’s why the X-Men don’t just go around changing people’s minds all the time.” I was like, have you read the X-Men comics, because they do that quite a bit.

so jean mindrape her

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

One cannot adequately judge the level to which the scene was a breach without actually seeing her lead up thoughts to the vote and why she didn't want to do it when the time came. We never got her thoughts on why she thought she could contribute to the team nor why she decided against.

My take from Jean's perspective is that it's a similar situation to Xavier intruding in Magneto's mind constantly because he thinks their friendship gives him that right. Mags wears a helmet in part because of the whole boundaries' thing is just too easy for his oldest friend to breach.

Since X-Men #5, I've been thinking a lot of where Lorna is lacking and I think she needs a better story/tie to the Marvel Universe. While the issue was fine, it still lacked the motivational push I was hoping for with Lorna. It made me realize she's been that way for awhile...

Any character can be made into a superhero while their personality shown but what's next? I look at Polaris and think "when she isn't a X-Men, what is she doing?" Betsy has otherworld, Magik has limbo and magic, Emma has the hellfire stuff, Storm is regent etc. I think Lorna needs something and I think it should be an explorer. I think the x books should lean into her being smart and a cool science girl on the X-Men exploration team. She could be cataloguing mutant metals, exploring the rest of Krakoa (and maybe even extended to other areas too) or whatever is the jumping point for the team to start exploring. Her protector spirit could be channeled through the teams explorations. I think the X books need an exploration team (kinda Fantastic Four-esque) and Polaris should be leading that team. I think cementing her in that lane would help push her and really give her a place to be and shine among the X roster. What do you all think?

Duggan: Polaris has a programming note: be sure to tell your retailer that you need X-Men: Devil's Reign next month.
    X-Men Devil's Reign has moved from give a glance to pick up. I really have been interested in seeing Lorna and Emma interact in the current era.

On the other matter Lorna going on scientific and nature trips is already part of the characters story. She has done while on x-teams. But I would say the Emma has Hellfire reference is an apt comparison for what Lorna needs long term. All mutants under one roof behind Krakoa won't last forever and the status quo will melt down eventually into a binary choice between something akin to the old days of the X-Men. Lorna's choice there shouldn't be X-Men, X-Factor, or limbo.

Frankly Lorna could use down the road her own more activist mutant group. Perhaps not in a year, perhaps not in two years, but the X-Men won't always be mutant nationalists. Lorna works as a character divided between worlds and frankly that reality will never be met if she doesn't have an activist group to her name.

Speaking of Emma Frost there is a chance she and Lorna could interact in the coming mini this winter. The last time that happened it was too brief (a few panels) and flubbed because Lorna was too generic and saintly in Bunn's run.

BTW, I plan to rewatch TG season one on the show's upcoming anniversary.

Last edited by jmc247; 12-06-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    Any character can be made into a superhero while their personality shown but what's next? I look at Polaris and think "when she isn't a X-Men, what is she doing?" Betsy has otherworld, Magik has limbo and magic, Emma has the hellfire stuff, Storm is regent etc. I think Lorna needs something and I think it should be an explorer. I think the x books should lean into her being smart and a cool science girl on the X-Men exploration team. She could be cataloguing mutant metals, exploring the rest of Krakoa (and maybe even extended to other areas too) or whatever is the jumping point for the team to start exploring. Her protector spirit could be channeled through the teams explorations. I think the X books need an exploration team (kinda Fantastic Four-esque) and Polaris should be leading that team. I think cementing her in that lane would help push her and really give her a place to be and shine among the X roster. What do you all think?
    This is both a brilliant observation and a great suggestion! Mutant explorers!! I would buy that book!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

Lorna going on scientific and nature trips is already part of the characters story. She has done while on x-teams. But I would say the Emma has Hellfire reference is an apt comparison for what Lorna needs long term. All mutants under one roof behind Krakoa won't last forever and the status quo will melt down eventually into a binary choice between something akin to the old days of the X-Men. Lorna's choice there shouldn't be X-Men, X-Factor, or limbo.

Frankly Lorna could use down the road her own more activist mutant group. Perhaps not in a year, perhaps not in two years, but the X-Men won't always be mutant nationalists. Lorna works as a character divided between worlds and frankly that reality will never be met if she doesn't have an activist group to her name.

Speaking of Emma Frost there is a chance she and Lorna could interact in the coming mini this winter. The last time that happened it was too brief (a few panels) and flubbed because Lorna was too generic and saintly in Bunn's run.

BTW, I plan to rewatch TG season one on the show's upcoming anniversary.

Lorna’s option could be X-Factor when the status quo returns If X-factor was re-branded into the exploration team book ��.

I don’t think Lorna having her own militant activist group like Magneto had and making her the lead radical would do much for her because what would she and that book actually be doing? She can show her aggressive side without that being her only purpose. I don’t think she needs an activist group to her name for her to be shown as divided between 2 worlds. Her father is magneto. What bigger activist is there than him? Lol. She’ll always have the option to showcase the divided between two worlds just from that connection alone! I’d like to see her actually have some stories to her name and do stuff. The “explorer” lane is wide open on the X side

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    Lorna’s option could be X-Factor when the status quo returns If X-factor was re-branded into the exploration team book ��.

I don’t think Lorna having her own militant activist group like Magneto had and making her the lead radical would do much for her because what would she and that book actually be doing? She can show her aggressive side without that being her only purpose. I don’t think she needs an activist group to her name for her to be shown as divided between 2 worlds. Her father is magneto. What bigger activist is there than him? Lol. She’ll always have the option to showcase the divided between two worlds just from that connection alone! I’d like to see her actually have some stories to her name and do stuff. The “explorer” lane is wide open on the X side
    X-Factor being rebranded an exploration book is a good idea.

As for her just being Magneto's daughter being enough for the character to be divided between worlds. No. That only works for a once in a blue moon will she join dad when he goes militant plotline and that has already been done. Marvel doesn't even remember she has relationships with the former Acolytes or she was one so no its not enough so the will she or won't she only comes into play when Magneto himself is running a militant group which is extremely rare in the modern era.

Leah called her a wild card in one of her podcasts and while that is a good description of what I would like to see from Polaris I am not sure it accurately describes the character the past several years as what she does has more to do at any given time to what her friends and family are doing rather than what she wants and believes... which we are rarely clued into.

I will say yes her parentage could have been just about enough in an era like the 90s where he was almost the full time big bad of the line constantly at war with the X-Men if she kept a good relationship with him like she had on Genosha. But, he has been retired for two decades from that role and has been more often an X-Man then her in the past twenty years.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-06-2021 at 03:44 PM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Seeing Duggan including Lorna in his other work <3

I was hoping this would happen. Hopefully he'll continue to keep Polaris in mind moving forward.