Page 53 of 105 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by cam18 View Post
    Perhaps but she looks much better without it imo and less like a mini Scarlet Witch.
    Honestly, you're going to get comparisons to the "Other Green Haired Chicks" that are running around in the X-sphere without the headgear too. I mean, I seriously have to double-check who is appearing where when she doesn't have the headgear. It's either Lorna or it's Abigail Brand. So the argument that she's gonna get compared to someone else is a moot point. If I didn't wear the headgear as Polaris at a con a few years ago, I doubt anyone would've figured out who I was. (Got a few 'Are you Enchantress?' comments-- even with a green wig. No one compared me to Wanda though.)

Wanda and Lorna have shared screen time before in cartoons, and in AU comics, and no one got them mixed up with or without headgear. They can both shine if the writers take the time to give them that space, to develop and build them both up. Unfortunately, Marvel has struggled with that repeatedly. And while Wanda is popular right now, sure, I don't think the comics need to worry about MCU fans getting confused right now. That's a debate for *if* the MCU brings Lorna back into live-action.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunabelle0 View Post
    Honestly, you're going to get comparisons to the "Other Green Haired Chicks" that are running around in the X-sphere without the headgear too. I mean, I seriously have to double-check who is appearing where when she doesn't have the headgear. It's either Lorna or it's Abigail Brand. So the argument that she's gonna get compared to someone else is a moot point. If I didn't wear the headgear as Polaris at a con a few years ago, I doubt anyone would've figured out who I was. (Got a few 'Are you Enchantress?' comments-- even with a green wig. No one compared me to Wanda though.)

Wanda and Lorna have shared screen time before in cartoons, and in AU comics, and no one got them mixed up with or without headgear. They can both shine if the writers take the time to give them that space, to develop and build them both up. Unfortunately, Marvel has struggled with that repeatedly. And while Wanda is popular right now, sure, I don't think the comics need to worry about MCU fans getting confused right now. That's a debate for *if* the MCU brings Lorna back into live-action.
    Brand shows her eyes less than Cyclops, and he has a reason.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Lorna creating a metal cocoon to protect her teammates in X-Men #1 was soooo satisfying.

Duggan: Polaris' face when you don't pre-order X-Men. Issue one hits next week, hope you survive the experience.
    Six days until issue #1.

For those interested in ordering variants here is the Midtown link.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

Six days until issue #1.

She has her sunglasses !

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

Six days until issue #1.

Larraz on art is just KILLING IT. Love to see this Lorna love.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    She has her sunglasses !
    Such a cool touch. Love it!

It brings up an interesting question of Lorna's character and the new series. She has had many roles over the years.

60s- The villain turned hero and the love interest.

Claremont- The love interest, the victim, and the plot device.

90s PAD X-Factor - the female romantic interest and the comic relief.

JM's X-Factor- the youth mutant rights activist with a very light anti-hero streak and the romantic interest.

Mackie- the generic female heroine with some mental health issues.

Genosha- The apprentice and right hand of Magneto.

Austen- The anti-hero and mutant rights radical who provides some dark comic relief.

Milligan- The loony comic relief and easily oppressed heroine.

Brubacker- The generic heroine and romantic interest.

Yost- The generic heroine with a bit of an edge and romantic interest.

DnA- The rogue process and political manipulator.

Carey- The generic heroine daughter of Magneto and the possessed.

PAD- Much like his first run only more aggressive and hot headed.

Bunn- The generic heroine daughter of Magneto and the possessed.

Leah- I will let her run speak for itself until she is done with Lorna.

I have long believed the two best roles for Lorna are either of the anti-hero/anti-villain variety with some comic relief attached or the political variety. The Gifted season one very much was Lorna of the dark snarky activist anti-hero variety. Season two Lorna was a mess and probably would be best to designate as the emotionally weak romantic interest. One can reasonably argue HoM Lorna or Genosha Lorna was an anti-villain and she worked pretty well in the role as well.

The closest we have had done well of Lorna as the dark political princess was probably War of Kings and AU it would have been Secret War House of M. The best we have had of Lorna as the dark, deadly, and sarcastic mutant rights activist was Austen and season one of The Gifted. My argument on Genosha and the genocide there was it works for Lorna as a centering event for the character no matter the title or role she is on, but its clear that argument has lost and its been forgotten for the character.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-02-2021 at 08:43 AM.

I love Lorna, aka Polaris, and feel she's always been underrated and underused. I voted for her to be on the new team and look forward to seeing what Duggan will do with her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I love Lorna, aka Polaris, and feel she's always been underrated and underused. I voted for her to be on the new team and look forward to seeing what Duggan will do with her.
    The same. Lorna being on the flagship title is something that's been a long time coming I've enjoyed Duggan's Maurauders and Planet Size and can't wait to see what he does in X-Men.

by Marvel_ink as given on Twitter, though I can't find the original posting.

by Carl Broaddus

by Daniel Gillan/GillanartN, as posted (I think commissioned too) by UncannyLZ.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Associate Marvel editor Annalise Bissa: "Gerry & Pepe & Marte's Lorna is... such a high point of a book that is wall-to-wall high points."

Four days before X-Men #1.

crimsonartsillustration: I have to say, I am now hyped for the launch of the new public superhero X-men team and Polaris’ new look is absolute fire. Edgy, fashionable, glam and striking, Lorna is looking fit for first flight and I can’t wait to see Pepe Larraz @pepelarraz work all kinds of classic x-action with this team! This one is in tribute to the stellar work he’s given us x-fans in recent years #lornadane #lornadanepolaris #polaris #polarisxmen #houseofm #daddysgirl #magnetrix #mutantandproud #krakoa #xmen #uncannyxmen
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-03-2021 at 07:25 PM.

TOMORROW

Tomorrow at @AIPTcomics: #XMenMonday #114 – Jordan D. White Answers Your #HellfireGala Week 5 Questions!

- Reflecting on #XFactor!
    - The future of X-Factor and Daken!
    - The state of Krakoa/Wakanda relations!
    - Zaladane!

AIPT: We got a glimpse of Magneto and Polaris’ relationship as father and daughter during the Hellfire Gala. X-Fan TripleThreat was curious what your thoughts are regarding Magneto’s relationship with Lorna, and how do they compare to his feelings toward Wanda, which we caught a glimpse of in S.W.O.R.D. #6?

Jordan: It’s interesting, right? Because in some ways, his relationships with them are full opposites, right?

AIPT: Polar opposites…

Jordan: That’s really funny. Well, right, because Wanda was introduced not as his daughter, but then was revealed to be his daughter. And then, for many, many years that relationship was embraced. I mean, it’s not like they were a happy family or anything like that, but they were known to be his children. And that was a thing that was talked about and discussed a lot. And then suddenly, they were officially revealed to not be his children. And that is where we currently stand.

Whereas with Polaris, she was first introduced as his daughter, I think she was, but then doubt was almost immediately cast upon it. And then for tons of time, it was like, is she? Isn’t she? Kind of just existing in this unconfirmed state until eventually I’m pretty sure it was in Peter David’s X-Factor that it was finally eventually confirmed.

It is definitely true. He’s definitely her father. And now she’s the only biological daughter he has, which is weird. I mean, those two paths their relationship took color them completely. Again, for so long, I felt like him and Polaris had a very minor relationship. Or sometimes, even a contentious one, because she would be claiming he was her father and he would be denying it or things like that. In some ways, it almost has felt like him accepting her as his daughter and treating her more like his daughter is almost in reaction to having lost the other children. But who can say? I will say we will see more interrogation of those relationships in The Trial of Magneto for certain.

AIPT: And Zaladane was in the mix for a time. Do you remember Zaladane?

Jordan: Oh, goodness gracious.

AIPT: She was possibly connected to Polaris and Magneto.

Jordan: It’s been so long.