Page 15 of 105 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    I don’t think X-Men fans hate Polaris as a whole, they really just don’t know her. At most, they know she’s magneto’s daughter. A lot of them “don’t know her personality” because they haven’t and probably won’t read comics published before like 2016. It’s why I think so many are saying they like what’s happening with Lorna in the current X-Factor run even though she’s already done a lot of it years ago. You can’t lead X-Factor twice, fight in infinity war and survive Genosha but still “not know who you are” etc. I’ve seen people not want Lorna on the X-Men because she’s already been a member but I ask them to show me when because I’d love to read those stories but they don’t have an answer. This is probably her biggest chance to break out of the cycle of being thrown on X-Factor/the side book and get some X-Men stories and interactions.
    She was on the team for The Rise And Fall Of The Shi'ar Empire, around Uncanny 470 to maybe 485. The Muir Island X-Men as well. She joined a little while after her first appearance as well, I'm guessing around about #60. She was with the team, just after Banshee lost his powers, fighting Arcade. She's been with the main team quite a lot over the years really, but I don't suppose they always specifically state she's a member of the core team, but I guess once an X-Man, always an X-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    She was on the team for The Rise And Fall Of The Shi'ar Empire, around Uncanny 470 to maybe 485. The Muir Island X-Men as well. She joined a little while after her first appearance as well, I'm guessing around about #60. She was with the team, just after Banshee lost his powers, fighting Arcade. She's been with the main team quite a lot over the years really, but I don't suppose they always specifically state she's a member of the core team, but I guess once an X-Man, always an X-Man.
    That is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    I found out that some X-men fans have already dismissed Lorna along Banshee on other forums on the Xpage. Truly disheartening to read. One commented on Banshee being ‘white’ and had his ‘time in the sun’. As for Lorna, I’m beginning to wonder if most X-men fans just hate Polaris as a whole. If that’s true then I have no hope of Lorna getting the recognition she deserves when others out there don’t like or even care for her. I’m really bummed as of now and if she doesn’t win I’m done with the x universe and Marvel!
    The comment about Banshee saddened me (and pissed me off)
    It's basically saying "Banshee has been badly written for years but there was a time when he was well written so he doesn't need to be well used again"

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    The comment about Banshee saddened me (and pissed me off)
    It's basically saying "Banshee has been badly written for years but there was a time when he was well written so he doesn't need to be well used again"
    It just pissed me off. If that’s the only thing people have to make an argument than that’s just pitiful. Banshee is a fav of mine too. Always loved him. During the Muir Island saga, his involvement was crucial to Lorna’s life. Because the original 5 we’re planning on killing her. That was out of character foe Jean saying that. Without Banshee, Lorna would have been toast.

Incredible Member

It just pissed me off. If that’s the only thing people have to make an argument than that’s just pitiful. Banshee is a fav of mine too. Always loved him. During the Muir Island saga, his involvement was crucial to Lorna’s life. Because the original 5 we’re planning on killing her. That was out of character foe Jean saying that. Without Banshee, Lorna would have been toast.
    Silvestri was doing particularly good work at that time, and it wasn't long before Jim Lee took over, a good time for X-Men comics overall.

I remember at the time being quite excited about Banshee being properly back (he'd been in a Marvel Comics Presents story with Cyclops just before), and I was unsure how Polaris was going to be handled with super strength. I kind of remember her mentioning she wanted to flinch when one of the Reavers was shooting at her, so she was showing she hadn't gotten used to the new power. I really liked her saying sorry to Banshee, when he rescued her, because she'd put weight on, made me laugh even back then.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

we need emma dumont to comeback on wandavision to be with all the brothers !
    we can be heroes, just for one day

I found out that some X-men fans have already dismissed Lorna along Banshee on other forums on the Xpage. Truly disheartening to read. One commented on Banshee being ‘white’ and had his ‘time in the sun’. As for Lorna, I’m beginning to wonder if most X-men fans just hate Polaris as a whole. If that’s true then I have no hope of Lorna getting the recognition she deserves when others out there don’t like or even care for her. I’m really bummed as of now and if she doesn’t win I’m done with the x universe and Marvel!
    I think opinion of Lorna, generally, has actually improved over the past decade. And I think the massive bulk of it has to do with people being more aware of who Lorna should be based on good depictions of her, rather than who Marvel regularly tries to make people think she is.

When I first found out about Lorna in 2009, one of my clearest memories was someone on 4chan responding to my wanting Lorna to return from space by saying she should stay in space to "keep her away from characters that matter." Over the past decade, with the case well made for what she offers, I think she's breaking out of the stereotypes. Faster within fandom than within Marvel. I fondly remember years back when this board did a Polaris week - something she didn't necessarily "need," and I don't think any other characters got, but I greatly appreciated it. Now whether the same people are still around or not, I can't really say. But I think overall, fandom appreciates her more today than in the past.

As for actions if Lorna doesn't win, I can fully understand where you're coming from. I've been boycotting all things Disney since 2019 due to how horridly Marvel's been treating Lorna in the comics. I agreed to still read comics with Lorna in them IF she's treated well, but Marvel rarely achieves that. I do want to note, though, that I think it's very valuable to continue being involved and pushing for better for Lorna even if dropping Marvel. Silence makes it easy to dismiss the lost fan.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    I don’t think X-Men fans hate Polaris as a whole, they really just don’t know her. At most, they know she’s magneto’s daughter. A lot of them “don’t know her personality” because they haven’t and probably won’t read comics published before like 2016. It’s why I think so many are saying they like what’s happening with Lorna in the current X-Factor run even though she’s already done a lot of it years ago. You can’t lead X-Factor twice, fight in infinity war and survive Genosha but still “not know who you are” etc. I’ve seen people not want Lorna on the X-Men because she’s already been a member but I ask them to show me when because I’d love to read those stories but they don’t have an answer. This is probably her biggest chance to break out of the cycle of being thrown on X-Factor/the side book and get some X-Men stories and interactions.
    The "arguments" I saw from X-Factor fans who insisted Lorna shouldn't join X-Men because she's "better on X-Factor" pretty much amounted to a lot of not really knowing her history, or wanting to pretend her history doesn't matter. That's why I call them X-Factor fans rather than Lorna fans. Their goal seemed to me more like it was based in what's best for X-Factor, not what's best for Lorna.

It's reminiscent of one person in particular from a year ago who claimed Lorna's been team leader just soooooo much that she doesn't need to be team leader "yet again," when in reality All-New X-Factor was the first and only time she's actually been the intended team leader of something. Only few other times starting in the 90s involved briefly filling in while the real leader was out.

She also needs her past and present mapped out properly. Maybe 6 issues at least to get her back on track. Crossing fingers!
    I wish I could simply give kudos to Marvel finally having Lorna's origin story told in X-Factor #243 (44 years after she was created, vs Havok having his told decades ago) or Lorna finally leading her own team (46 years after she was created, vs Havok getting to start in the 90s), but Marvel never really took that anywhere and seemed to me more like it was a thing to check off their list so they can say they did it. No real sense of wanting to move Lorna forward following those actions. Just "Maybe it'll get the kids to shush up a bit with their fandom." We still don't know what life was like for her growing up as a teenager. We don't even know what her foster parents look like. Do they even have first names? Are we sure they're not just pod people and Lorna grew up in a lab?

I don't count space as her being part of the X-Men because it was designed for them to set up shop in space as the Starjammers, not the X-Men, an offshoot group so out of touch with X-Men comics that they couldn't even take part in X-Men events.

I also don't count her being around the team as being part of the team.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I think opinion of Lorna, generally, has actually improved over the past decade. And I think the massive bulk of it has to do with people being more aware of who Lorna should be based on good depictions of her, rather than who Marvel regularly tries to make people think she is.

When I first found out about Lorna in 2009, one of my clearest memories was someone on 4chan responding to my wanting Lorna to return from space by saying she should stay in space to "keep her away from characters that matter." Over the past decade, with the case well made for what she offers, I think she's breaking out of the stereotypes. Faster within fandom than within Marvel. I fondly remember years back when this board did a Polaris week - something she didn't necessarily "need," and I don't think any other characters got, but I greatly appreciated it. Now whether the same people are still around or not, I can't really say. But I think overall, fandom appreciates her more today than in the past.

As for actions if Lorna doesn't win, I can fully understand where you're coming from. I've been boycotting all things Disney since 2019 due to how horridly Marvel's been treating Lorna in the comics. I agreed to still read comics with Lorna in them IF she's treated well, but Marvel rarely achieves that. I do want to note, though, that I think it's very valuable to continue being involved and pushing for better for Lorna even if dropping Marvel. Silence makes it easy to dismiss the lost fan.

The "arguments" I saw from X-Factor fans who insisted Lorna shouldn't join X-Men because she's "better on X-Factor" pretty much amounted to a lot of not really knowing her history, or wanting to pretend her history doesn't matter. That's why I call them X-Factor fans rather than Lorna fans. Their goal seemed to me more like it was based in what's best for X-Factor, not what's best for Lorna.

It's reminiscent of one person in particular from a year ago who claimed Lorna's been team leader just soooooo much that she doesn't need to be team leader "yet again," when in reality All-New X-Factor was the first and only time she's actually been the intended team leader of something. Only few other times starting in the 90s involved briefly filling in while the real leader was out.

I wish I could simply give kudos to Marvel finally having Lorna's origin story told in X-Factor #243 (44 years after she was created, vs Havok having his told decades ago) or Lorna finally leading her own team (46 years after she was created, vs Havok getting to start in the 90s), but Marvel never really took that anywhere and seemed to me more like it was a thing to check off their list so they can say they did it. No real sense of wanting to move Lorna forward following those actions. Just "Maybe it'll get the kids to shush up a bit with their fandom." We still don't know what life was like for her growing up as a teenager. We don't even know what her foster parents look like. Do they even have first names? Are we sure they're not just pod people and Lorna grew up in a lab?

I don't count space as her being part of the X-Men because it was designed for them to set up shop in space as the Starjammers, not the X-Men, an offshoot group so out of touch with X-Men comics that they couldn't even take part in X-Men events.

I also don't count her being around the team as being part of the team.
    I'd be interested to know how you would like her to be written, what aspects of her character you feel writers should concentrate on. For me, the issue of her being controlled by others always has to be there, and her courage in fighting on against it even though it's always a thing. It was the first thing that introduces her to the X-Men after all, with Mesmero, Magneto and Mastermind also had some input way back then. After that she was controlled by Eric The Red, and then of course Malice. So it's bound to be a recurring theme. Unfortunately for me, I'm old enough to remember all those stories.

I wonder, is there a particular period, or story arc, that you feel is the way she's best written? From a personal point of view I've found the current X-Factor story to be pretty good for her, she's shown herself to be independent of what Magneto wants for her, she's shown real leadership by stepping back officially and letting Northstar be the face of the team, although it seems obvious to me that she's the mainstay of the team.

I think she's certainly moved on from being the little girl lost who was tossed around between Iceman and Havok in the late 60s, early 70s. She has grown into being her own woman. Admittedly the road has been bumpy, but I do think a lot of the time she has been sympathetically handled, possibly her problem is that when with the main X-Men team she's been outshone by the huge stars, but in all seriousness that's bound to be the case, has been for many other characters, and will continue to be so.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I've been reading X-Men comics for almost 30 years, I love Polaris and I think she is being very well written in X-Factor. I'm not in favor of having her role in that book reduced or eliminated for a role of unknown quality in another book, even if I am fairly certain I will continue to enjoy Hickman's X-Men. It has also been my experience that if you prefer character driven storytelling you are more likely to find that in satellite books rather than the flagship, which until recently have been mostly mediocre. So I don't particularly care about Lorna appearing on a more "prestigious" title to "elevate her importance to the franchise", i just want her to be in a book where her characterization has depth and meaning, which in imo she currently is. It doesn't help that the more recent books in which she was on a main X-Men team, Austen, Milligan, and Brubaker, are some of the worst comic runs in X-Men history. YMMV.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Apart from the first issue and X of Swords I don´t see much depth added to her character in the actual X-factor run, because I don´t think she´s a character that still has to find herself, that sounds more like the writer is trying to get a handle of who she´s without taking in consideration previous stories that supported important parts of her character. Milligan and Austen where not estelar X-men writers but I think they did something interesting with Lorna in the sense that she recovered from Genosha during their run and they didn´t forget to use that to develop her links to the X-men and her perspective on mutant issues.

For example, he reaction during the wedding and Alex leaving her at the altar was used to explain she was using hurtful coping mechanisms for what happened to her on Genosha and her character grew to become stronger for that same reason. it was a shame Brubaker ignored that in favor of writing her as just Alex love interest.

I would would like if writers took in consideration she´s a character who already has been part:

1.- Of ruling Genosha.
    2.- Part of an actual civil war.
    3.- Survivor of Genosha (It would be nice to see the other survivors in Krakoa).
    4.- Politically inclined in favor of mutants but open to help humanity in any way she can.
    5.- Interested in leardership.
    6.- She´s not Magneto 2.0 but she understands his pov without being uncritical of the more extremes elements of it.
    7.- Feels guilty over her parents death.

She definitely can use more character work and introspective scenes which I think Leah is trying to do but if she or future writers keep ignoring those other aspects of her own story her character will just be reinvented over and over again, just because the writers believe she doesn´t have much character background when the situation is the opposite in that she does have character background, motivation and a personal perspective but this is often forgoten.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

I'd be interested to know how you would like her to be written, what aspects of her character you feel writers should concentrate on. For me, the issue of her being controlled by others always has to be there, and her courage in fighting on against it even though it's always a thing. It was the first thing that introduces her to the X-Men after all, with Mesmero, Magneto and Mastermind also had some input way back then. After that she was controlled by Eric The Red, and then of course Malice. So it's bound to be a recurring theme. Unfortunately for me, I'm old enough to remember all those stories.

I wonder, is there a particular period, or story arc, that you feel is the way she's best written? From a personal point of view I've found the current X-Factor story to be pretty good for her, she's shown herself to be independent of what Magneto wants for her, she's shown real leadership by stepping back officially and letting Northstar be the face of the team, although it seems obvious to me that she's the mainstay of the team.

I think she's certainly moved on from being the little girl lost who was tossed around between Iceman and Havok in the late 60s, early 70s. She has grown into being her own woman. Admittedly the road has been bumpy, but I do think a lot of the time she has been sympathetically handled, possibly her problem is that when with the main X-Men team she's been outshone by the huge stars, but in all seriousness that's bound to be the case, has been for many other characters, and will continue to be so.
    Lorna's such a multifaceted character that I think a really good depiction of her would end up catching things that I don't talk about much, but other fans do. So I can't say "This is exactly what she needs" and that's the end. I also think truly great writing ends up exposing aspects of a character or concept not normally seen, that other people don't catch. Before Kris Anka's concept for a Polaris costume redesign, I really wasn't up for changing her costume at all, but he did such an amazing job of using visuals to capture her character that I wasn't even thinking about. It was clear he put thought into who she is and how to express it.

So with all that in mind, in my opinion, the most important part of her I think should be concentrated on is that she's a survivor. She's been through so much awfulness, from the plane crash to what Claremont did to the Genoshan genocide and more, and she's fighting on in spite of that. That is an incredibly moving, compelling framework for her, to me. A source of inspiration. I had a lot of complaints about All-New X-Factor from #4-6, that I still stand by, but I also stand by how I said it improved after #7. And this is one of the scenes I like most from how it improved.

I was deeply moved by this. Her struggles, and her overcoming them, were seen. And importantly, they weren't presented as struggles that deny her the chance to pursue her full potential and do her best in the world. She's pursuing her potential in spite of those hardships. That is incredibly important to me.

But for Lorna to pursue her potential, she also needs to have a mission. Something she wants beyond simply surviving. Something that compels her toward leadership and action. And that's where the second thing to concentrate on, fighting for mutant rights, comes into play. Her experiences on Genosha serve as a blueprint. She spent time by Magneto's side helping him to build and defend that mutant nation. After its destruction, we saw how those deaths weighed on her, the personal connection she had to many as they died, and how she really wanted to make things change now, not see Xavier martyred some day for the cause. She would naturally want to prevent more mutant suffering, with a special focus on wanting to make sure something like Genosha never happens again. And because of that, whatever role she takes should really be with "How can this work toward preventing another Genosha" in mind.

Aside from those two components, I just think in general Marvel needs to concentrate on showing they understand Lorna is a character who's existed for a long time, has a history, and deserves recognition for it. They don't have to give her a solo ongoing book (though I'd certainly like this, assuming she's treated well). But they should do things like include her among important X-women when they do projects to highlight them. It's pretty bad that the second woman to join the X-Men is completely left out of such things.

The current X-Factor misses all of those things. Ignores how she's a survivor, ignores her history, and her only "mission" seems to be whatever helps everyone else on X-Factor on any given day. Whether that means building a base for the team to use, or having a breakdown so people think of Rockslide's death as a big deal, or getting mind controlled so Morrigan can be more of a threat to the team. Her role there isn't pursuing her potential, it's undermining it to enhance everyone else's potential. If she's not going to lead X-Factor, then she should be doing something more important, like being a member of X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    It doesn't help that the more recent books in which she was on a main X-Men team, Austen, Milligan, and Brubaker, are some of the worst comic runs in X-Men history. YMMV.
    Austen run was mostly good for Lorna, and I'd say among the best, if not the best, 616 writing she's had. Which is different from saying Austen was great. I understand the problems with his writing of other characters. He did also have some problems with his writing of Lorna (e.g. I regularly say Lorna should've wanted to attack Havok, not Nurse Annie, for his leaving her at the altar). But unlike literally everyone else, Austen understood the importance of what happened to her on Genosha, and he used it. He developed her from it.

Milligan and Brubaker are a different story. They slid further and further toward older attitudes of her - I believe in large part from X-Men fans who insisted Austen was doing wrong by her, insisted Lorna should be more like how she was depicted in past decades, then immediately stopped caring about Lorna after they got their wish. I'm very much not a fan of how Brubaker had Lorna weeping next to Havok about how she should go to prison (... for being turned into Pestilence against her will?) just so big man Havok could console the poor weepy lady.

Also, as I've said before elsewhere, I don't really count Brubaker as Lorna on an X-Men team because the goal was clearly to push them off into space to become the Starjammers where they were completely isolated from ongoing X-Men events.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Upcoming X-Factor cover.

Looks like Lorna might wrap up that Shatterstar plot thread before the gala.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I would would like if writers took in consideration she´s a character who already has been part:

1.- Of ruling Genosha.
    2.- Part of an actual civil war.
    3.- Survivor of Genosha (It would be nice to see the other survivors in Krakoa).
    4.- Politically inclined in favor of mutants but open to help humanity in any way she can.
    5.- Interested in leardership.
    6.- She´s not Magneto 2.0 but she understands his pov without being uncritical of the more extremes elements of it.
    7.- Feels guilty over her parents death.
    I would say any given writer doesn't necessarily have to bring up any one of your list unless the situation calls for it.

What writers really need to do is keep them in mind when writing Lorna. The character can be written around the plot to a certain degree and writers should be given leeway to have different ideas about a character, but if a run is not at all keeping in mind the characters core life developments then they are writing a different character.

Oh, and as for all the new art with her 1960s classic costume (not her generic space version) it continues to impress.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-09-2021 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I've been reading X-Men comics for almost 30 years, I love Polaris and I think she is being very well written in X-Factor. I'm not in favor of having her role in that book reduced or eliminated for a role of unknown quality in another book, even if I am fairly certain I will continue to enjoy Hickman's X-Men. It has also been my experience that if you prefer character driven storytelling you are more likely to find that in satellite books rather than the flagship, which until recently have been mostly mediocre. So I don't particularly care about Lorna appearing on a more "prestigious" title to "elevate her importance to the franchise", i just want her to be in a book where her characterization has depth and meaning, which in imo she currently is. It doesn't help that the more recent books in which she was on a main X-Men team, Austen, Milligan, and Brubaker, are some of the worst comic runs in X-Men history. YMMV.
    Thank you for bringing up that different fans may want different things for the character. All of this gatekeeping of who is a real fan is not for me. I fully understand people not liking X-Factor (Leah's style is definitely not for everyone), but claiming that the book ignores her history seems like a stretch when it has less than 10 issues and has acknowledged her history with Krakoa, her familial relationship with Magneto, and her previous relationships with teammates (i.e. Siryn).

Hopefully she gets her spot on X-Men so everyone can be happy. I'm sure her role on X-Factor won't be too reduced because she's already the unofficial veteran advisor of the team.