Page 44 of 105 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast

Lorna got a better role in Hellions than in the last X-Factor issue spoilers:
    there is not a single mention of a possible romance between her and Alex, she just wants to help her friend, nothing more
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Lorna's cameo in Hellions revolves around Madelyne like most suspected. Alex tries to talk to Magneto, and Polaris intervenes. Nothing major.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Lorna's cameo in Hellions revolves around Madelyne like most suspected. Alex tries to talk to Magneto, and Polaris intervenes. Nothing major.
    It’s clear that Lorna has moved on from Alex yet still cares for him as a friend. It’s never really been spoken of in the past how Lorna felt about Maddy after she was free of Malice. I don’t know. Either way, Alex is not getting Maddy back for the time being. It’s also why he’s not given an answer by Xavier or Mags.

Astonishing Member

I liked her guest appearance and her saving Havok from making a fool of himself in front of her father was hilarious. Havok is still obsessed with Maddie.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I liked her guest appearance and her saving Havok from making a fool of himself in front of her father was hilarious. Havok is still obsessed with Maddie.
    She was very well served I think. Saving Havok and then trying to make him feel better about the Maddie fiasco. Lorna is over Alex. And it is hilarious that Magneto hates the idea of seeing them back together. "He was talking about his EX". Magneto being petty for Lorna´s sake is a joy to see.

I still think it was people at Marvel floating a trial balloon while trying to normalize the idea of Lorna and Havok interacting more, so the idea of them getting back together would seem less problematic and get less backlash when they try to do it in the future. It's much easier to get people to accept or put up with something bad when it's done gradually than to shove it through immediately.

Lorna's role on this Hellions issue could have been covered by Cyclops or other characters. Why did they decide to use Lorna, specifically? What purpose does her usage here really serve?

This is the same company that can't keep itself from reminding everyone she dated Havok at least once almost everywhere she appears. Regardless of if Havok has anything to do with anything the book is doing, like the drunk dialing line on X-Factor. Even to the point where they thought it was more important to emphasize than her surviving the Genoshan genocide when showing image flashbacks of her character history on Prisoner X. I don't believe for a second this is simply "pals being pals and moving on."

That said, from what I've seen it's not as bad as it could have been. Emphasis on the 'as' part. I'll wait for about a day. If I don't see new information that shows it's worse than I've seen so far, I'll move forward with getting digital of the non-Hellions Gala issues.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I still think it was people at Marvel floating a trial balloon while trying to normalize the idea of Lorna and Havok interacting more, so the idea of them getting back together would seem less problematic and get less backlash when they try to do it in the future. It's much easier to get people to accept or put up with something bad when it's done gradually than to shove it through immediately.

Lorna's role on this Hellions issue could have been covered by Cyclops or other characters. Why did they decide to use Lorna, specifically? What purpose does her usage here really serve?

This is the same company that can't keep itself from reminding everyone she dated Havok at least once almost everywhere she appears. Regardless of if Havok has anything to do with anything the book is doing, like the drunk dialing line on X-Factor. Even to the point where they thought it was more important to emphasize than her surviving the Genoshan genocide when showing image flashbacks of her character history on Prisoner X. I don't believe for a second this is simply "pals being pals and moving on."

That said, from what I've seen it's not as bad as it could have been. Emphasis on the 'as' part. I'll wait for about a day. If I don't see new information that shows it's worse than I've seen so far, I'll move forward with getting digital of the non-Hellions Gala issues.
    They used Lorna because she is the character who would make Magneto and Havok react more strongly. This is not her book, so she was just a cameo.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    They used Lorna because she is the character who would make Magneto and Havok react more strongly. This is not her book, so she was just a cameo.
    I have three remarks on this, based on the pages and panels I've seen.

1. Aside from Lorna and Magneto hugging, their reactions were not significantly different from if a different character entirely had been used.
    2. If we want to get really technical, other characters that we've seen spend more time with Magneto would have been better to say Magneto's just trying to make Havok squirm. Marvel hasn't really had Lorna and Magneto spend much panel time together since the 00s (which is both good and bad; good because missteps are easily corrected, bad because development has been slow).
    3. Lorna's cameo on the book still amounts to how useful she can be to the men around her to advance their interests and agendas but not acknowledging her having any of her own.

I would be more forgiving about this if Marvel had a good track record in treatment of Lorna. They don't. They can get there if they're willing, but it all depends on them.

As I've said, everything I've seen so far with Lorna on the new X-Men book looks good in this regard. Hopefully it turns out to be as good as it looks. But this is a prime example of why I'm remaining guarded about Marvel even as I'm buying physical and digital copies of the new book and encouraging others to do the same.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I am still bitter myself about the bait and switch in regards to Lorna on the cover of Empyre X-Men for the Genosha issues. But, this issue of Hellions nor its author are to blame for any of that or other things Marvel has done or neglected to do with Lorna.

It was a fine cameo for a more laid back Lorna and a witty well written issue overall.

That being said I really hope next weeks X-Men really inaugurates at least somewhat of a new start with the character that breaks her from what has been a very heavy focus for her since Bunn's run on 80s/90s nostalgia issues and pathos.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    She was very well served I think. Saving Havok and then trying to make him feel better about the Maddie fiasco. Lorna is over Alex. And it is hilarious that Magneto hates the idea of seeing them back together. "He was talking about his EX". Magneto being petty for Lorna´s sake is a joy to see.
    The interaction in the issue reminded me of Mutant X only with a snarkier Magneto.

Last edited by jmc247; 06-02-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Is Mutant X worth the read?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    I thought it was a very good XMAU read. One of my favourites, actually.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I have three remarks on this, based on the pages and panels I've seen.

1. Aside from Lorna and Magneto hugging, their reactions were not significantly different from if a different character entirely had been used.
    2. If we want to get really technical, other characters that we've seen spend more time with Magneto would have been better to say Magneto's just trying to make Havok squirm. Marvel hasn't really had Lorna and Magneto spend much panel time together since the 00s (which is both good and bad; good because missteps are easily corrected, bad because development has been slow).
    3. Lorna's cameo on the book still amounts to how useful she can be to the men around her to advance their interests and agendas but not acknowledging her having any of her own.

I would be more forgiving about this if Marvel had a good track record in treatment of Lorna. They don't. They can get there if they're willing, but it all depends on them.

As I've said, everything I've seen so far with Lorna on the new X-Men book looks good in this regard. Hopefully it turns out to be as good as it looks. But this is a prime example of why I'm remaining guarded about Marvel even as I'm buying physical and digital copies of the new book and encouraging others to do the same.
    Can you really not see the subtext there? Magneto was not trying to make Alex squirm. He was trying to keep him away from his daughter. Why do you think he spoke of Madelyne as his EX? What do you think the "Hrmmmmm" meant? It is the same trend that when Sinister was pushing him around with Alex and Lorna. He hates the thought of them together. I tought that you of all people could relate.

Lorna will likely be appearing in X-Men #21 next week. I always like to see Hickman's take on her. He was the first writer in many years to give her any world view at all on mutant issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    It wasn't to the level of a House of M as a universe, but it was pretty well done and would be worth looking over if you have one of those Marvel.com subscriptions.

One of the things that worked was you had a 616 character in this case Havok interacting with this alternate world and you had little things different that his presence magnified. The core idea for Lorna was what if her parentage hadn't been undone in 1969 and the series ended up one of the better examples of ideas seeded in the Marvel bullpen as they called themselves back then by one writer that after they realized it really works starts migrating or in this case returning to the 616.

The series was good enough to avoid turning Magneto/Polaris/Havok into a love/loyalty triangle. I hope the 616 takes that advice as well and makes Lorna deeper and more complicated then what man do you love more. Lorna is a speck of nothing next to the other X-Men mainstays without her own opinions crafted from her own experiences.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-02-2021 at 03:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    It’s clear that Lorna has moved on from Alex yet still cares for him as a friend. It’s never really been spoken of in the past how Lorna felt about Maddy after she was free of Malice. I don’t know. Either way, Alex is not getting Maddy back for the time being. It’s also why he’s not given an answer by Xavier or Mags.
    An insane Sinister is back from Amenth and Sinister already made a clone farm. Havok is going to make a deal with a Sinister to make a new Madelyne, and the Goblin Queen will renter the body and Madelyne will be reborn. I think
    They had her die in Hellion to wash away the Ana Cortez nonsense.

Why would Sinister bring back Maddie when he has always been at the top of her hit list? He sent the Hellions to deal with her bc he knew she'd have him tortured/killed. Doesnt make sense

@Angleman70, I was also thinking the other day how Lorna might have felt about Alex and Maddie in the past. He pretty much abandoned and then cheated on her while she was suffering and trapped in a prison of sorts by Malice. That really should have stung her but I dont think any writer has touched that