Page 63 of 105 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    When did she accuse Pietro of being a bad dad? sorry I can´t remember
    When she was yelling at Pietro that he is just like Magneto admit it. She was accusing Pietro of being Magneto not being a bad dad to Luna.

Runs that try to graft normal mental illness pathos onto her having her emotionally break down too often or act too uncontrolled or incompetent don't do her a service at all. When her powers impact her emotions and vice versa as Vita wrote in Prisoner of X #3 and 5 or Leah wrote in a page of X-Factor 8 that is the right way in that area.

Exactly, this was exactly my problem with that first scene they had together, yes we know Lorna was drunk, just lost her team and was still angry at Pietro for his part in HoM but the problem is that this felt completely out of the left field, because Pietro was there to help her and under different circunstances they could have fought yes but she would not have used weapons to attack him. This felt forced because we as the readers had no way to know why she was so angry at him.
    The end problem came down to the why she was full of rage at him and yes it needed more elaboration.

Yes we need scenes between them in which it´s remembered them both have layers and complexity to them otherwise their interaction will keep being a generic father/daughter relationship of overbearing father with heroic daughter fighting to overberaing father with heroic daughter having sweet scenes keeping them in a unequal relationship, when they used to talk issues as equals, an interaction that doesn´t have a lot of complexity to it, writers did better with nuance and complexity when they wrote teen Jean, Revolutionary Cyclops or Magik having Magneto as a parental figure than they are writting Lorna and Magneto as being actual family and it doesnt need to be that way.
    That is it entirely. Once they were 'fully related' writers felt they had to divorce it from the kind of nuance they had before and Magneto's other interesting relationships have.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-25-2021 at 05:23 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    When she was yelling at Pietro that he is just like Magneto admit it. She was accusing Pietro of being Magneto not being a bad dad to Luna.
    Ah ok, thanks,yes I remember she said that. It was rare to me because Luna was living with them at that point.

Runs that try to graft normal mental illness pathos onto her having her emotionally break down too often or act too uncontrolled or incompetent don't do her a service at all. When her powers impact her emotions and vice versa as Vita wrote in Prisoner of X #3 and 5 or Leah wrote in a page of X-Factor 8 that is the right way in that area.
    I could not agree more, I had this problem with PAD´s early take on her as a leader,she was written too unstable when she supposely was getting better and remained unaffected during his previous run when she was not the leader, same case with Vita´s take in Prisoner X I liked that later she added an explanation, that David had to keep her that way so they would not scape, still Lorna is despicted this way a lot but not in a way that explores her character, just a way to show she´s unstable and needs to be helped or taken off the board by the other characters, so far Leah has done better with this because she at least got over rockslide death in the same issue even if we needed a more indepth explanation as to why she was so affected when she´s a veteran in those kind of things.

The end problem came down to the why she was full of rage at him and yes it needed more elaboration.
    Agreed

That is it entirely. Once they were 'fully related' writers felt they had to divorce it from the kind of nuance they had before and Magneto's other interesting relationships have.
    Exactly this
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 07-25-2021 at 06:16 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Are there any high quality Asrar Polaris images?

art by Dijana Granov

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I could not agree more, I had this problem with PAD´s early take on her as a leader,she was written too unstable when she supposely was getting better and remained unaffected during his previous run when she was not the leader, same case with Vita´s take in Prisoner X I liked that later she added an explanation, that David had to keep her that way so they would not scape, still Lorna is despicted this way a lot but not in a way that explores her character, just a way to show she´s unstable and needs to be helped or taken off the board by the other characters, so far Leah has done better with this because she at least got over rockslide death in the same issue even if we needed a more indepth explanation as to why she was so affected when she´s a veteran in those kind of things.
    Vita's Lorna unlike a great many others this past decade did have a justifiable/reasonable reason for her issues in the story of having two sets of memories from very different universes war in her mind. She was also a competent spitfire in battle in that mini series.

In my personal rankings of the top writers for Lorna when it comes to depicting her in battle (not counting her current writers) Vita places second.

1. Austen- she was variable in battle under multiple proficiencies and different types of combat. From close quarters against Purifier types who she found their own weapons could be their own worst enemies. To longer range fighting army sized forces. To manipulating wormholes. To taking on whole super hero teams.

2. Vita- He did a great job in close quarters battle with Lorna showing how she could be unrestrained in combat while being very competent and deadly using anything metal around her.

3. JM Dematteis- Her battle with Random was one of the best of the 90s and he showed nearly three decades ago how Lorna was not a typical X-Man when it came to her willingness to use force to win a battle.

4. Yost would be next for Lorna blowing up a Shi'ar starship and holding up an ocean in the center of a world. His run loses points for her being poor at close quarters combat.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-29-2021 at 12:20 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I like your optimism and hope you are right.

I certainly want Trial of Magneto to succeed. As for Magneto potentially wanting to use the resurrection protocols to bring back Wanda he just got done shutting down Havok for wanting Maddie brought back under the point the council decides and he is just acting emotionally. He is engaging in rank hypocrisy if he demands they break their rules and Lorna doesn't have an emotional connection with Wanda as yet strong enough to seriously influence her judgement the way Magneto does with her.
    It’s been quite some time since Wanda attacked mutants. Maddie died plotting an invasion. Different circumstances. Plus Wanda’s death marred the Gala. They definitely should resurrect her. She came for a family visit and got murdered.

Can anyone tell me if there was another time when Lorna took control of her fields to absorb energy? I just remember the giant-size, it seems that the writers have forgotten their energy absorption ability.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Can anyone tell me if there was another time when Lorna took control of her fields to absorb energy? I just remember the giant-size, it seems that the writers have forgotten their energy absorption ability.
    Gen os ha. She survived the sentinel massacre and the radiation and rejoined the team all powered up.

New piece I commissioned from maki/kahlart!

It's following a theme of "you should see me in a crown" by Billie Eilish. Lorna's both creating her headpiece and channeling her power through it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I always enjoy seeing Lorna construct and deconstruct her outfits.

How did Polaris manage to do this? For me there was no trace of metal in the water (unless it's contaminated) and even so, Lorna managed to affect the entire state of the water.
    UX #426
    RCO006_1468810041.jpg

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

There are trace metals and compounds in water, even more so in water from natural sources like rivers, lakes and streams.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    There are trace metals and compounds in water, even more so in water from natural sources like rivers, lakes and streams.
    Oh yeah, but I still think it's crazy, I could be wrong but I don't understand these issues, Lorna using metal residue in water, solidified or metallized the water? (I've never seen Magneto do something like that)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Your namesake drawing the energy from a galactic core to murder an unborn brood within her is crazy too but...this is comics.

Without a concrete in-panel explanation I would say she drew the trace metals out of the water and used that as a barrier. Comic book science is not very scientific. And Lorna's application of her magnetic powers do extend beyond just ferrous compounds. It's what actually makes her a bit more versatile than her father.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 08-01-2021 at 11:40 AM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

I thought of you all, i.e, Polaris fans while reading X-Men: Blue. She has two nice father-daughter moments with Magneto in two of the issues.