Page 102 of 105 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105 LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1571

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

art by magickmarker
    Clever wording on Lorna's shirt, lol.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Lorna cameo in Hellions

Eww.

art by magickmarker
    The whole story summed up in 2 panels.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Emma Frost and Polaris Stuttgart Germany Comic Con

Much of it was that stupid though the divided between worlds that of Magneto and the X-Men part still came though various ways and she went on to wear that costume off and on for the next 13 years in the comics.

UXM 128 Dec 1979 by George Perez.

On a less happy note George Perez has come down with inoperable cancer. I wish him and his family the best this Holiday season.

By George Perez
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-09-2021 at 03:18 PM.

Neat Juan. It’s the first time in the 616 at least Lorna might interact with the Fantastic Four. Oh and you might want to clean out your PM box.

Anyway.

Link

I'm excited for the F4 x Polaris content! Sue is my favorite and having both of my favs interacting is great for me!

I really hope that after this X-Men stint, Polaris is in an ongoing that gives more weight to her character. I really want Polaris finally be to be seen as a serious character with a place and purpose. And by "serious" I don't mean not fun or anything but she'll never rise if she hasn't been taken seriously in awhile. She's become way too associated with goofy stuff recently that doesn't really add to her character or place among the X-Men. The coffee thing is getting corny but I guess it's fine for her "cool girl" era on the X-Men. Really hope her next writer is one that gives her substance and a long standing purpose and place.

Lorna and Sue have a common history of wrongly being dismissed as damsels and supporting characters for men, in particular the men that Marvel has presented as their love interests. The difference is Marvel acknowledged decades ago that treating Sue that way was wrong, and they started taking steps to correct that, whereas it's really only this year that Marvel started taking initial steps in that direction for Lorna. It was long overdue, but better late than never.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    I'm excited for the F4 x Polaris content! Sue is my favorite and having both of my favs interacting is great for me!

I really hope that after this X-Men stint, Polaris is in an ongoing that gives more weight to her character. I really want Polaris finally be to be seen as a serious character with a place and purpose. And by "serious" I don't mean not fun or anything but she'll never rise if she hasn't been taken seriously in awhile. She's become way too associated with goofy stuff recently that doesn't really add to her character or place among the X-Men. The coffee thing is getting corny but I guess it's fine for her "cool girl" era on the X-Men. Really hope her next writer is one that gives her substance and a long standing purpose and place.
    What is very much working with Lorna right now:

1. She has some of her edge back. The lack of any real edge was ruinous to Lorna in a number of runs the past decade.

2. She is interacting with characters and rebuilding relationships that she was almost completely cut off from since Austen's run like Jean, Scott, Rogue. Post Austen Marvel let her relationship with the X-Men die on the vine because they saw her as Havok's girlfriend or 'an X-Factor character'.

3. She has an attitude and isn't just lettuce hair who sends out energy bolts. The no shits given urban princess attitude works. The coffee addiction works but has a shelf life to it.

4. Limited connection between Havok and Lorna so the two characters can evolve and grow rather than being written like two halves of a toxic couple.

What is somewhat working:

1. New twists on next gen X-Men issues. Duggan is playing on issues and conflicts in new, but similar ways from that of the generation above Jean, Laura, Lorna... meaning Xavier, Mags, and Wolverine. But, right now it's very subtle.

2. Doctor Polaris. It works as an addition to the character she can draw on occasionally. Right now, it's being used in part for comic relief which isn't bad though works in small doses.

3. Backing off the mind control pathos. I understand anything Claremont touched on the X-Men is considered iconic by some, but mind control never did Lorna one ounce of good. Much the opposite. What Jean did to her was a way of dealing with related issues without someone using her as a puppet.

4. Not overplaying the mental illness card so far.

5. Her outfit is working for the situation.

What hasn't been working:

1. When adult urban princess Lorna starts acting a bit too teenage. It might end up working within the Krakoa plot theme given their bodies might been that of teenagers at this point. I don’t know.

The biggest current problems for the character:

1. Not knowing what Lorna wants or believes at this point. Is her fears about humanity she had in House of X still in effect? What does she feel about mutants trying again with a mutant homeland? What's her motivation or thoughts? Is she on the team for Jean and her old friends or other reasons?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions and perhaps we will learn with time, but it's a major issue and a problem that exists and predated Duggan's run. She doesn't feel like right now she has fire in her belly for fighting for much beyond coffee, but perhaps she does, and they are playing their cards close to the vest.

2. Not enough connection between Lorna now and her past. I am willing to give it time, but the lack of any real direct connection between Lorna now and past Lorna other than easter eggs is a major problem that again predated Duggan who is just getting started with her.

3. Lorna and Magneto's relationship is trash at this point. It was quite complex and nuanced in the Genosha era as well as her feelings about him in the Austen era were complex. It still had some good attached to it in the Bunn era, but it was far less interesting and dynamic then it had been.

At this point their relationship is both toxic and uninteresting and has dragged both of the characters down.

Final thoughts: things are better for Lorna, but there are still issues.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-12-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    What is very much working with Lorna right now:

1. She has some of her edge back. The lack of any real edge was ruinous to Lorna in a number of runs the past decade.

2. She is interacting with characters and rebuilding relationships that she was almost completely cut off from since Austen's run like Jean, Scott, Rogue. Post Austen Marvel let her relationship with the X-Men die on the vine because they saw her as Havok's girlfriend or 'an X-Factor character'.

3. She has an attitude and isn't just lettuce hair who sends out energy bolts. The no shits given urban princess attitude works. The coffee addiction works but has a shelf life to it.

4. Limited connection between Havok and Lorna so the two characters can evolve and grow rather than being written like two halves of a toxic couple.

What is somewhat working:

1. New twists on next gen X-Men issues. Duggan is playing on issues and conflicts in new, but similar ways from that of the generation above Jean, Laura, Lorna... meaning Xavier, Mags, and Wolverine. But, right now it's very subtle.

2. Doctor Polaris. It works as an addition to the character she can draw on occasionally. Right now, it's being used in part for comic relief which isn't bad though works in small doses.

3. Backing off the mind control pathos. I understand anything Claremont touched on the X-Men is considered iconic by some, but mind control never did Lorna one ounce of good. Much the opposite. What Jean did to her was a way of dealing with related issues without someone using her as a puppet.

4. Not overplaying the mental illness card so far.

What hasn't been working:

1. When adult urban princess Lorna starts acting a bit too teenage. It might end up working within the Krakoa plot theme given their bodies might been that of teenagers at this point. I don’t know.

The biggest current problems for the character:

1. I don't know what Lorna wants or believes at this point. Is her fears about humanity she had in House of X still in effect? What does she feel about mutants trying again with a mutant homeland? What's her motivation or thoughts? Is she on the team for Jean and her old friends or other reasons?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions and perhaps we will learn with time, but it's a major issue and a problem that exists and predated Duggan's run. She doesn't feel like right now she has fire in her belly for fighting for much beyond coffee, but perhaps she does, and they are playing their cards close to the vest.

2. Not enough connection between Lorna now and her past. I am willing to give it time, but the lack of any real direct connection between Lorna now and past Lorna other than easter eggs is a major problem that again predated Duggan who is just getting started with her.

3. Lorna and Magneto's relationship is trash at this point. It was quite complex and nuanced in the Genosha era as well as her feelings about him in the Austen era were complex. It still had some good attached to it in the Bunn era, but it was far less interesting and dynamic then it had been.

At this point their relationship is both toxic and uninteresting and has dragged both of the characters down.

Final thoughts: things are better for Lorna, but there are still issues.
    I agree with you, one of my concerns is that next year there won't be much of Polaris, although I really hope I'm wrong, maybe Xoffice has realized she has enough potential to be considered a main character for the core of the X-mens.

c4d9d222527bca7a66818bd8a5c5dcbc.jpg

I also wanted the return of Polaris' wavy hair, I think it gives her a lot more identity, although I like her current appearance. Zaladane would be a cool cast character to add more layers to Lorna's story, as her story is too shallow in my opinion, of course all this would have to be well written.

Adding Zaladane, a human character who doesn't have an actual connection to Lorna and who Magneto himself killed, would do nothing for Lorna's story. She already has 2 half siblings that have WAY bigger character profiles in the Marvel Universe. What could adding another do other than making Lorna's story yet again about someone else?

I don't think Lorna's relationship with Magneto is trash. Nobody cares about Trial of Magneto or will give it any impact on Lorna. I do think their relationship should be shown more and given more weight/nuance since most know Polaris is his daughter but that's where the description ends.

Lorna being a superhero now is fine. But when she's not doing that, what is she doing? Most of the other characters have a niche/could answer that question while it feels like still Lorna is just...there. The X office should lean into the "Dr. Dane" thing and let her become more of science explorer. She needs to have a lane she can define and explore herself that she can always come back to. She never fits the "investigation/detective" thing when that's the X-Factor mission statement since she's far too powerful and feels much more adventurous than the rest. War of Kings was great for Lorna and while I don't think she needs to be in space, that type of personality would be great to see again but on earth and around other X-Men.

Polaris also needs a design that says "take me seriously" and her last few definitely don't say that.
    Last edited by UncannyLZ; 12-12-2021 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    Adding Zaladane, a human character who doesn't have an actual connection to Lorna and who Magneto himself killed, would do nothing for Lorna's story. She already has 2 half siblings that have WAY bigger character profiles in the Marvel Universe. What could adding another do?

I don't think Lorna's relationship with Magneto is trash. Nobody cares about Trial of Magneto or will give it any impact on Lorna. I do think their relationship should be shown more and given more weight/nuance since most know Polaris is his daughter but that's where the description ends.

Lorna being a superhero now is fine. But when she's not doing that, what is she doing? Most of the other characters have a niche/could answer that question while it feels like still Lorna is just...there. The X office should lean into the "Dr. Dane" thing and let her become more of science explorer. She needs to have a lane she can define and explore herself that she can always come back to. She never fits the "investigation/detective" thing when that's the X-Factor mission statement since she's far too powerful and feels much more adventurous than the rest. War of Kings was great for Lorna and while I don't think she needs to be in space, that type of personality would be great to see again but on earth and around other X-Men.

Polaris also needs a design that says "take me seriously" and her last few definitely don't say that.
    Besides Zaladane being a character who could rock the Krakoa Era, I've seen some writers mention her name, so if she appears it would be interesting to be connected to Polaris, I'm not talking in the sense of.. Polaris can support itself, but it would be a Big boost with Zaladane, who is at the "core of Polaris", and she doesn't have as much visibility as the Maximoffs, but since she's such a chaotic character, it could really shake up the Polaris story.

Seeing how things are going, I deduce that Magneto will probably leave QC, or even go back to a more lethal phase (I find it difficult, but... anything can happen), and maybe this could be a start for Lorna, following her own paths, something that is already happening, showing her difference than just “Daughter of fish, little fish is”

The writers urgently need to add more layers to Lorna, or better yet, explore the few layers that the character already has, but not in a hurry and lack of attention, it would need to be something slow but catchy to attract more audiences (something that doesn't take much because she has a huge fan base). I feel that Duggan's X-Men is something very fleeting, something more attracting teenagers, that's why it has a more generic atmosphere.

In the future I hope she will be the leader of some xteam.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I agree with you, one of my concerns is that next year there won't be much of Polaris, although I really hope I'm wrong, maybe Xoffice has realized she has enough potential to be considered a main character for the core of the X-mens.

c4d9d222527bca7a66818bd8a5c5dcbc.jpg

I also wanted the return of Polaris' wavy hair, I think it gives her a lot more identity, although I like her current appearance. Zaladane would be a cool cast character to add more layers to Lorna's story, as her story is too shallow in my opinion, of course all this would have to be well written.
    Always liked her hair like that as well its get her away from the Mini Scarlet Witch look

I remember back when Lorna got a decent spotlight during Secret Wars, how I had an ill-boding feeling that she might get tossed into limbo after but I ignored that feeling to try to be more positive. Then Marvel proceeded to throw Lorna into limbo for two years, and brought her back mainly to be used as a prop to build up Havok and Magneto.

Zaladane would be a cool cast character to add more layers to Lorna's story, as her story is too shallow in my opinion, of course all this would have to be well written.
    The main issue is that Marvel needs to spend more time properly exploring and establishing Lorna for herself and in her relationships to characters like Jean, Iceman, Emma, etc first. Without that, there's a strong likelihood of Marvel treating Lorna poorly to benefit Zaladane. That's what Marvel did when Zaladane was used in the past, and Marvel likes to go back to past toxic dynamics unless sufficient guardrails are in place to prevent it.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

X-Men Devil's Reign has moved from give a glance to pick up. I really have been interested in seeing Lorna and Emma interact in the current era.

On the other matter Lorna going on scientific and nature trips is already part of the characters story. She has done while on x-teams. But I would say the Emma has Hellfire reference is an apt comparison for what Lorna needs long term. All mutants under one roof behind Krakoa won't last forever and the status quo will melt down eventually into a binary choice between something akin to the old days of the X-Men. Lorna's choice there shouldn't be X-Men, X-Factor, or limbo.

Frankly Lorna could use down the road her own more activist mutant group. Perhaps not in a year, perhaps not in two years, but the X-Men won't always be mutant nationalists. Lorna works as a character divided between worlds and frankly that reality will never be met if she doesn't have an activist group to her name.

Speaking of Emma Frost there is a chance she and Lorna could interact in the coming mini this winter. The last time that happened it was too brief (a few panels) and flubbed because Lorna was too generic and saintly in Bunn's run.

BTW, I plan to rewatch TG season one on the show's upcoming anniversary.

Unpopular opinion but I don't really like Lorna/Emma interactions, Lorna rarely has an equal and opposite point of view and usually takes on the generic character voice writers often use as inserts, while Emma is portrayed as more worldly and engaged. In a beautiful world, Emma and Lorna would have a ton more in common as far as the ends justifies the means, but Lorna characterization can often pendulum between extremes leaving Emma as a guiding figure.

Lorna and Magneto's relationship of the past year has been trash. Don't get me wrong the foundations of their relationship were awesome and they are when written well one of the most interesting relationships that not just the x-line has, but all of Marvel.

But, other than Hickman most writers have seemingly forgotten there is more to the characters then being father and daughter. DnA wasn't even the basis of their early 2000s relationship when it was at its best. It was being Master and Mistress of Magnetism, mentor and apprentice, and it was them dealing with how to protect mutants and building a better world. When they decide to just graft on typical fiction good girl/bad dad dynamics and make that all important as happened in the past year they end up trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Unpopular opinion but I don't really like Lorna/Emma interactions, Lorna rarely has an equal and opposite point of view and usually takes on the generic character voice writers often use as inserts, while Emma is portrayed as more worldly and engaged. In a beautiful world, Emma and Lorna would have a ton more in common as far as the ends justifies the means, but Lorna characterization can often pendulum between extremes leaving Emma as a guiding figure.
    You aren't wrong at least not with most writers she has had the past decade. The jury is still out with Duggan.

Imagine if you will Austen era Lorna interacting with Emma. Now that would be something quite special Polaris fans and Emma fans could have taken to the bank.

The last time Lorna and Emma actually interacted it was under Bunn and he did an absolutely crap job. He inserted a generic female heroine character voice with Lorna as a character which was hugely limiting to any potential between Lorna and Emma if they kept on interacting. Before that they last interacted very briefly in Milligan's run and he did a shit job too for a very different reason. He massively overplayed the mental illness card with Lorna and killed the potential coming from Austen's run by just making her loony.

Until Marvel remembers Lorna is actually worldly, has seen the world and helped build a mutant nation and seen it turned to ash and isn't just a teen who hadn't experienced death before X-Factor #4 I agree there is no hope for Lorna having a good relationship with Emma.

Lorna has had no hope luck of late with an interesting and complex relationship with Magneto either. Without her history she either ends up either his generic sprite daughter or 'empowerment girl' raging against evil dad. So, should fans give up on the character because so many writers stubbornly don't care about Lorna's own history? I will put it this way Lorna and Emma and Lorna and Magneto shouldn't interact until Marvel remember big chunks of Lorna's own history.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-13-2021 at 08:42 PM.