Page 103 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105 LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1571

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I remember back when Lorna got a decent spotlight during Secret Wars, how I had an ill-boding feeling that she might get tossed into limbo after but I ignored that feeling to try to be more positive. Then Marvel proceeded to throw Lorna into limbo for two years, and brought her back mainly to be used as a prop to build up Havok and Magneto.

The main issue is that Marvel needs to spend more time properly exploring and establishing Lorna for herself and in her relationships to characters like Jean, Iceman, Emma, etc first. Without that, there's a strong likelihood of Marvel treating Lorna poorly to benefit Zaladane. That's what Marvel did when Zaladane was used in the past, and Marvel likes to go back to past toxic dynamics unless sufficient guardrails are in place to prevent it.
    This annoys me, Lorna has become a "dubious" character thanks to the lack of commitment of the Marvel writers. But she still became a fan-loved character (although The Gifted gave it a boost, but she already had a certain popularity)

===========================

This is one of Polaris' best achievements, although I don't know if it's part of the main universe, Magneto and Polaris were in tune to keep a wormhole going.

The Return of Cassandra Nova!

Bringing the person who launched the sentinel attack on Genosha and murdered 16 million mutants over to the x-books? WTH.

Though it does need to be said Lorna has actually never interacted with Nova and only brought her up exactly one time.

Of course this event has been completely forgotten as far as Lorna’s history goes so I imagine Lorna will happily shake hands with her if they meet up.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-17-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Marvel: where people will gleefully pursue pot-stirring with genocide in hopes of gaining more publicity, but absolutely refuse to spend even one millisecond on acknowledging the perspective and experience of a genocide survivor.

Or maybe that's the impact and values of Disney. Can't deal with the trauma of genocide because it would be too graphic, but trying to be good friends with genocidal monsters is perfectly fine.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Marvel: where people will gleefully pursue pot-stirring with genocide in hopes of gaining more publicity, but absolutely refuse to spend even one millisecond on acknowledging the perspective and experience of a genocide survivor.

Or maybe that's the impact and values of Disney. Can't deal with the trauma of genocide because it would be too graphic, but trying to be good friends with genocidal monsters is perfectly fine.
    The possibility of Disney influence is something I hadn’t considered, but it is possible. The comics have been trying to force in shit replacement pathos into her story while pretending she isn’t a genocide survivor perhaps because the new bosses consider it too dark?

Austen himself was deeply annoyed that Morrison came up with a better idea for Lorna's pathos then him and said so, but he wasn't arrogant about it and accepted and went along with Morrison's continuity (and furthered it too) while plotting his own idea of Lorna having the trauma of being stood up on her wedding. Lorna being stood up at her wedding wasn't meant as a replacement for Genosha unlike more recent attempts at pathos with her.

Nice art juan. The snarky fun aspect to the character is a winner for X-Men Lorna along with a return of a little of her edge which all but disappeared a number of years ago.

The outfit is good too even if it lacks Lorna iconography like the headgear. Anyway a sketch card of New X-Men 132 Lorna when the Sentinels came calling.

And Topps Marvel card.

Last edited by jmc247; 12-21-2021 at 12:30 PM.

I think some of you will be very pleased with ToM #5.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    i am happy that petro and Wanda are good.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Hmm. I wasn't expecting much tbh, so now I'm curious as to how Williams ends it.

Did that lady ruin even more of Lorna’s and/or Magneto’s character by changing them into what she wants instead of who they are?

Oh, don't give me hope in a comic book where Leah is the writer..

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Well its over.

I appreciate Williams for confirming Polaris finished her degree, but her overall approach to Lorna's relationships were a huge miss.

Like I expected there is a closeness between Lorna and Wanda that feels random, and largely came at the expense of her relationship with her father. Nothing is really done to repair the damage between Polaris and Magneto, but I guess that final panel with them is supposed to do something.

It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Well its over.

I appreciate Williams for confirming Polaris finished her degree, but her overall approach to Lorna's relationships were a huge miss.

Like I expected there is a closeness between Lorna and Wanda that feels random, and largely came at the expense of her relationship with her father. Nothing is really done to repair the damage between Polaris and Magneto, but I guess that final panel with them is supposed to do something.

It is what it is.
    This is exactly how I feel about it. I didn’t read it because I knew Williams would be terrible with telling an a tul story but I’ve seen enough panels and pages. At least now, it’s over and she’ll be far away from my x favs. Lorna is still in the main x book and although it has its faults, it’s far better than the books she’s been in previously.

Polaris hive, We move forward!

I agree with Soulsword's take. I expected the significant damage to Lorna and Magneto would be papered over with a band aid from the start. The problem was the verbal nukes unleashed aren't something to easily walk back without a moment showing the reader they don't really feel that way. X-Factor and now TOM had a habit of extremely deconstructionary moments for Lorna without taking the time to rebuild from the damage inflicted. I also hoped Wanda and Lorna would have had a slower build from Lorna hating her just a few years ago to being very close.

But, that being said issue #5 was cute in its own way and probably the best of the bunch.

On another topic the story Depowered by Carrie Harris is on sale now in the School of X anthology book.

I will link back to my early review for those interested. The book is worth a look if one has a few extra dollars around as the core story is good. But, Lorna fell into the problem she has in recent years including on Bunn's run of being built up as a character to take seriously and potential threat by using her parentage over and over again and things she had no control over. Yes, she is related to Magneto, yes she manifested her power as a baby, but that doesn't mean anything for her gravatas or ability to be a threat.

I kind of would implore future writers to use say her time as an Acolyte, her time on the Genoshan cabinet, her kicking the X-Men's ass from time to time, or her more activist mutant rights views instead of stuff she has no control over like her manifesting her power as a baby, her being possessed or her being related to Magneto to show the character has gravatas.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-22-2021 at 10:51 AM.

I dont think pleased is the right word. More like relieved bc Lorna and her relationships werent tarnished anymore than she already had been in this mini