Page 14 of 105 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Not much to say about X-Factor today. Lorna doesn't do too much, but the mind control is dealt with. Really lackluster issue for Polaris tbh.

spoilers:
    Lorna and some of the others are killed in the end though.
    end of spoilers
    I agree, this whole run is lackluster and absolutely boring. Lorna needs the X-men not this team!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    I agree, this whole run is lackluster and absolutely boring. Lorna needs the X-men not this team!
    Hard disagree. Leah has been knocking out the park with the interpersonal connections and banter between these characters. It's something that I feel like is sorely missing from a lot of the books right now this sense of a family unit instead of just being teammates.

The banter between Speed and Northstar was enjoyable the dialogue between Aurora and Daken was definitely the highlight of the issue. Not to mention the last few panels of this issue was like something taken straight out of a horror movie.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Hard disagree. Leah has been knocking out the park with the interpersonal connections and banter between these characters. It's something that I feel like is sorely missing from a lot of the books right now this sense of a family unit instead of just being teammates.

The banter between Speed and Northstar was enjoyable the dialogue between Aurora and Daken was definitely the highlight of the issue. Not to mention the last few panels of this issue was like something taken straight out of a horror movie.
    I can't speak to if what X-Factor's doing fits for other characters. I also can't speak to quality of writing taken entirely in isolation as if nothing exists outside it.

What I can say is that X-Factor's idea of Lorna is very much not her. At all. It's farther off the mark than anything I've seen released by Marvel from 2009 (when I found out about Lorna) to today. A Tumblr mutual said recently that X-Factor's treatment of Lorna reads to them like it comes from an 80s idea of her, and that absolutely tracks. Everything about her treatment acts as if she hasn't developed or done a single thing since Claremont. No Genoshan genocide, no power loss, no leading All-New X-Factor, none of that. Just an 80s throwback who spends all her time getting exploited to support everyone else's stories.

X-Men is what she needs. X-Factor very much is not. Though it might be accurate to say X-Factor needs her and can't survive without her, if Lorna joining X-Men is such a devastating idea for the book that a full-fledged campaign to keep her exclusive to X-Factor has to be launched even with knowing she would still show up in cameos.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I was on the fence with Lorna on X-factor because I wanted to give the book a chance and I liked what it did for Lorna on the first issue but I will have to agree, so far she has not been having any significant relationship with the other members of the team beyond a few jokes and since the first issue she really has not been having any development besides not wanting to be a leader because she wants to "know who is she" but more and more this looks more like an excuse to give the leadership position to Northstar. I don´t like to be nitpicky but this is how it really looks to me. I can see Leah likes Northstar, Aurora, Daken, Eyeboy and David a lot but Rachel and Lorna have just been there not doing much.

So I really hope Lorna will be part of the X-men that will give her something else to do and if her interaction with Scott is going to be like the first X-men issue I think she will be better there.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 02-03-2021 at 05:07 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

The fact that Leah offered up Lorna for election implies she had no serious plans for her. You wouldn't risk losing your character to another book if they were truly important.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    The fact that Leah offered up Lorna for election implies she had no serious plans for her. You wouldn't risk losing your character to another book if they were truly important.
    I have a theory on that which would explain Williams offering Lorna while simultaneously having serious plans for her. But I've been struggling since the poll started with whether to actually say it or keep it to myself. I try to avoid saying some things about various people at Marvel unless it becomes necessary. Things I said about Brevoort in the past were necessary. Things I could say about others haven't become necessary, yet.

I also try to couch complaints about treatment of Lorna on X-Factor with the title of the book - not the person writing it - for a reason. Which is all I can say about that.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

One thing I do enjoy about X-Factor is how Leah has fleshed out Lorna's relationships. In particular, her interactions with Northstar. It feels like a genuine friendship has bloomed between them, and you can see that they lean on each other throughout these first two arcs. Lorna has developed a nice comradery with Daken as well. It's not super poignant, but I feel that its there, and something another writer can build off. Like what Williams did with Terry and Lorna. We saw under PAD that they became close, but it was very fleeting, as Theresa would soon leave after becoming the Morrigan. Leah added some more weight to their friendship that I really appreciate. I wish we got more of Rachel and Lorna, but they are portrayed as being familiar with one another, and that's nice.

I don't think Leah's overall approach to Polaris is bad, I'm just not fond of a lot of her creative choices. I think she does get her spirit, but how she goes about showing that isn't always the greatest, but I understand that I'm in the minority there.

That being said, I don't think Leah is super attached to Polaris overall. We know conceptionally, JDW recommended Lorna for the team, and that Leah was hesitant to writer her. I think that's why she was fine offering Lorna up for X-Men.

Lorna is now on a mutant homeland for the first time since Genosha. The political talents she developed over the years, her history with mutant nationalism and its fallout have rarely been more relevant.

Lorna by Brandon Peterson
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-06-2021 at 09:09 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Polaris/Havok by alkcomics.

Link: https://64.media.tumblr.com/4d21db06...0df88f107d.jpg

It was too gorgeous not to share. Lorna's abilities are depicted as an aurora borealis, and I thought that was a great idea.

Curiosity Wanda was born in 1989 in the MCU and lorna in gifted (FOX) in 1988

by Effix

by Tiffany Groves

posted by Flight_nob

Other pictures with Lorna in them going on Magnus family thread shortly

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I have a theory on that which would explain Williams offering Lorna while simultaneously having serious plans for her. But I've been struggling since the poll started with whether to actually say it or keep it to myself. I try to avoid saying some things about various people at Marvel unless it becomes necessary. Things I said about Brevoort in the past were necessary. Things I could say about others haven't become necessary, yet.

I also try to couch complaints about treatment of Lorna on X-Factor with the title of the book - not the person writing it - for a reason. Which is all I can say about that.
    I found out that some X-men fans have already dismissed Lorna along Banshee on other forums on the Xpage. Truly disheartening to read. One commented on Banshee being ‘white’ and had his ‘time in the sun’. As for Lorna, I’m beginning to wonder if most X-men fans just hate Polaris as a whole. If that’s true then I have no hope of Lorna getting the recognition she deserves when others out there don’t like or even care for her. I’m really bummed as of now and if she doesn’t win I’m done with the x universe and Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    I found out that some X-men fans have already dismissed Lorna along Banshee on other forums on the Xpage. Truly disheartening to read. One commented on Banshee being ‘white’ and had his ‘time in the sun’. As for Lorna, I’m beginning to wonder if most X-men fans just hate Polaris as a whole. If that’s true then I have no hope of Lorna getting the recognition she deserves when others out there don’t like or even care for her. I’m really bummed as of now and if she doesn’t win I’m done with the x universe and Marvel!
    I don’t think X-Men fans hate Polaris as a whole, they really just don’t know her. At most, they know she’s magneto’s daughter. A lot of them “don’t know her personality” because they haven’t and probably won’t read comics published before like 2016. It’s why I think so many are saying they like what’s happening with Lorna in the current X-Factor run even though she’s already done a lot of it years ago. You can’t lead X-Factor twice, fight in infinity war and survive Genosha but still “not know who you are” etc. I’ve seen people not want Lorna on the X-Men because she’s already been a member but I ask them to show me when because I’d love to read those stories but they don’t have an answer. This is probably her biggest chance to break out of the cycle of being thrown on X-Factor/the side book and get some X-Men stories and interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    I don’t think X-Men fans hate Polaris as a whole, they really just don’t know her. At most, they know she’s magneto’s daughter. A lot of them “don’t know her personality” because they haven’t and probably won’t read comics published before like 2016. It’s why I think so many are saying they like what’s happening with Lorna in the current X-Factor run even though she’s already done a lot of it years ago. You can’t lead X-Factor twice, fight in infinity war and survive Genosha but still “not know who you are” etc. I’ve seen people not want Lorna on the X-Men because she’s already been a member but I ask them to show me when because I’d love to read those stories but they don’t have an answer. This is probably her biggest chance to break out of the cycle of being thrown on X-Factor/the side book and get some X-Men stories and interactions.
    Thanks for replying. I shouldn’t use the word ‘hate’ for most X-men fans. Although I would argue that some X-men fans in the past didn’t care for her or rolled their eyes when I mentioned her. Lorna has gone through hell and back and still she’s not where we Polaris fans want her. This is our argument to those who don’t know her and for those who don’t ‘get’ her. Scott, Jean, Storm and even Bobby had more character growth exposure than Lorna has. Yes she’s been through mind control, Havok’s betrayals and abandonment, Genosha.....etc. This is her time to shine. This vote is so important for us and Ms. Dane’s future. She’s been with X-men on many occasions but she needs to be constant this time. She also needs her past and present mapped out properly. Maybe 6 issues at least to get her back on track. Crossing fingers!