Page 17 of 105 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    The concepts that keep at least her headpiece are obviously the best in terms of the goal to redesign Polaris. Anything without it is missing a key visual piece of her aesthetic.

In terms of simply being A Design as if this is just a random character with no background, I'm going to be biased and say Erik Ojo since I've always liked his work (I've commissioned him for a reason, after all). Then Valentine Smith.

Also the article claims Lorna is "a leader" of X-Factor, which once again, isn't true.

That's not even a subjective statement. Williams explicitly said she isn't the team leader when X-Factor was announced.

While the whole "she's the north star of the team" thing may be interpreted as a form of leader, in reality, Williams wouldn't have felt the need to say Lorna not being team leader "may rub people the wrong way" if that was her intent. So descriptions of Lorna as "a leader" on X-Factor like in this article are either a misconception based on the level of prestige people realize Lorna should have on X-books (particularly a title like X-Factor), or attempted reframing by X-Factor fans to make her role on the book sound better and more important than it actually is.

Edit: Also an awesome Lorna x Jean piece and alt version from su-whisterfield on Tumblr! They're from another post they made of all sorts of characters and pairings of different relationship types.

But isn’t Lorna the second-in-command of X-Factor?

So she is A leader

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

So she is A leader
    This is not how it works

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

So she is A leader
    There are a few things I can say here.

The first, and most important, is that Lorna hasn't been called the second-in-command on X-Factor. Not from anything I've ever seen at the very least. As always, I welcome someone providing proof of otherwise if otherwise is the case. Without that, the idea of Lorna being second-in-command is also an assumption not grounded in anything real and tangible.

Second, being second in command is not really about being a leader. It's mainly about supporting the leader. Your goal as second in command is to take duties off the leader's plate and lighten their load, akin to being a supervisor of coworkers but working underneath the manager.

An argument that might be made here is to compare to positions like Vice President or Assistant Director, but such positions have a great deal more responsibility and weight to them than being second-in-command of a small team like X-Factor. The only commonality between them is that if Lorna were considered second-in-command, she might step in as leader if something happens to Northstar.

Which, honestly, would be a flip of a coin whether that would happen or not in Northstar's absence. Experience and history says Lorna would fill in in Northstar's absence like she did with Havok and Madrox on past teams. Treatment on X-Factor to date says X-Factor's conception of Lorna would do anything to avoid any kind of real responsibility, and push Rachel to take over so she can keep shrinking into that void X-Factor #4 talked about.

There's also the much broader issue that considering second-in-command on a small team like this to be "a leader" provides more of an excuse to deny opportunities to characters that need and could use them. This isn't just theoretical. During the X-Men vote, I saw quite a few people trying to argue that Lorna was "already leading X-Factor" and therefore shouldn't get a vote to join X-Men. Some of them even claimed Lorna was the team leader with no mention of Northstar.

I'm talking about fan arguments during a heated vote here, which gave plenty of incentive for people to misrepresent the situation, but nothing says that a person who works at Marvel can't think the same way when forming teams, writing stories, or greenlighting which books get published and which don't. All it takes is one editor saying "But she was already a leader on a book that ended last year, we don't need a different book where she's leading a team" and that's it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

art by Meruz

Today's Introducing Beast (Age of Apocalypse version) event in Marvel Puzzle Quest has Beast fighting Lorna and 5 star Jean as a duo.

I know, doesn't seem like much, but it's nice to see Lorna and Jean doing things together SOMEwhere.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

I do miss Lorna and Alex together... because, no one can ever have a happy relationship, it's been so messed with.

But when I was REALLY into the X-Men it was UXM - Alex and Lorna were a couple - and were for over a hundred issues - until Malice came along.

And from there - things went down hill and never really recovered.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

any news on lorna?
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    any news on lorna?
    In terms of comics, not really. There's been a good boost of chatter about her on social media along with new fan work, including a new round of art commissioned by the mutual Japanese fan on Twitter, but I haven't really felt like taking the time to upload to imgur and post it here lately.

One neat thing I can share is that at some point someone created a bipolar representation flag, and by pure serendipity all its colors match Lorna's most notable personal costumes.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I really enjoyed Polaris in today's issue of X-Factor. Liked her attitude a lot, but it wasn't a huge part, even if she does do something important. The issue itself was alright.

Polaris new death and resurrection by Five; First official and Second unoficial (X-factor 4 cover variant)
    Last edited by juan678; 03-10-2021 at 11:10 AM.

I don't have any particular issues so far with what I've seen of the latest issue. I emphasize the "so far" because I want to make it clear that I don't think I've seen enough yet to say my views are firmly set in stone.

Her general attitude upon revival is good. Especially that she's not blaming herself for dying. Writing-wise, I think it's a big step in the right direction, away from how she was depicted in X-Factor #4. Seems to me like it's bearing her history with death and past responses to it in mind. Or to put it another way, she sounds like Lorna there, from what I've seen.

I'm sorting out my thoughts on Lorna not wanting Magneto to know she died. I feel that she shouldn't be overly concerned, but I'm trying to work out for myself if that's really objectively the case or just me applying my personal opinion of the character. Either way, I don't think it's a big deal here.

Art for her power usage is good, as you'd expect. Overall, of what I've seen, this is a huge improvement on treatment of her compared to past issues. This Lorna, I'd have no problem with still doing stuff on X-Factor while more active elsewhere like on the main X-Men book.

(My view that Lorna needs to be doing more, and higher profile, things outside of X-Factor given she's just a team member on X-Factor instead of its leader isn't going to change; especially when considering that Rachel's able to simultaneously show up on Marauders and Excalibur while on X-Factor.)

P.S. - I haven't received anon messages on Tumblr about Lorna's treatment in the issue, which is also a good sign.
    Last edited by salarta; 03-10-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Lorna's personality in X-Factor #8 was a big step up. She had some of the snarky devious devil may care attitude we have seen far too little of for many years and that was most certainly positive in the issue for me.

In other news Lorna will be in Marvel Strike Force.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-13-2021 at 08:24 AM.

Just a really quick lorna. I was thinking what jumbo carnation might think looked good on Lorna which was my same mind set for my storm in red. lornagala.jpg
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

While confirming Multiple Man as the new character in Marvel Strike Force they also mentioned/confirmed Polaris coming to MSF. Shatty and Longshot are very good toons, I think Polaris will be strong too, their X-factor team could join meta. Screenshot_20210313-165422_Chrome.jpg

I'm a little annoyed that Lorna will be slotted into X-Factor instead of X-Men, as her X-Men history is too often delegitimized in favor of over-emphasizing the times she's been part of X-Factor (She's existed for 52 years and X-Factor accounts for what? 11 of those years?). But given both that it's a video game and the game's nature, I'm not horribly upset. Plus I'm glad she's being introduced before Havok and afaik isn't being introduced primarily as Havok's girlfriend, which IMO takes priority. Also, of course, it's good that she's being added in general.

I'm assuming she'll wear a variant on her iconic costume given other characters on X-Factor appear to be wearing theirs, as opposed to having to wear a team uniform. Which will also be good.