Page 2 of 105 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Her halo power signature is an extremely striking visual component, i hope it sticks because that power display page was gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    Her halo power signature is an extremely striking visual component, i hope it sticks because that power display page was gorgeous
    Oh I dislike it and hope that other artists dont pick it up

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Oh I dislike it and hope that other artists dont pick it up
    Unstopable force vs immovable object .
    Our slay
    Last edited by Ferro; 01-06-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

So much of a mixed bag.

The mind control and Alex comment are plot points I don't want to read. As much as I enjoyed certain moments (Polaris flinging that cop around, and Terry & Lorna's friendship), this issue kind of let me down as a Polaris fan.

Extraordinary Member

Lorna just needs to get a helmet like her father, that blocks that.

But I think that only works on telepaths, not guys like Siryn and Mesmero who use hypnosis.

I will say I do like the halo. I think its a cool visual that makes Polaris more distinct IMO.

Someone said this in the review thread, but maybe the halo will play a part in Lorna breaking form the hypnosis. It's what I'm hoping for anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Lorna just needs to get a helmet like her father, that blocks that.

But I think that only works on telepaths, not guys like Siryn and Mesmero who use hypnosis.
    it's a morrigan enhanced sonic hypnosis, it's not really lornas failings not a lot of characters can resist THAT

We're on page 2. Back to more critical remarks.

I see my complaints about Lorna being misused and exploited to benefit other characters for the past year are now once again very literal.

Unlike most other Lorna fans, I'm not immediately opposed to mind control stories. I think a lot can be gained from them if they're done right. Unfortunately, Marvel loves to do them wrong with Lorna. It's never about exploring who Lorna is, what she's been through, what she offers. It's always about how she can be used as a prop for some other character's agenda, or to advance the broader story, even if it throws her under the bus in the process. Past year and especially X-Factor #4 haven't suggested anything new in that vein.

The "power moment" for Lorna right before is technically better than just straight into mind control, but not much. It fits the tired pattern of Marvel pre-emptively trying to do something that looks good for Lorna before doing something that screws her over. Happened with Lorna and Wanda hanging out on ANXF #14 right before the retcon on the twins, happened with good presence and HoM usage during Secret Wars right before a two year limbo, it's their regular pattern.

Power moment's also undermined by Siryn calling Lorna "dumb" for confronting her alone. Following this book's pattern so far of Lorna having a few good feats but being presented as OOC incompetent (like with this scene from past issues).

I presume as another layer in trying to justify the idea of Lorna being stuck as a team member on X-Factor and doing nothing more appropriate or important. And also trying to kill any perception of her as someone with leader qualities.

The sole positive in all this I can say is that Williams seems to have realized she needs to acknowledge more about Lorna than "Havok's her ex, Magneto's her dad, and here's what can be seen from two seconds on Google." I base that on Williams not just noting Lorna and Siryn have history, but also explicitly noting the story surrounding Lorna's origin story getting told. That's progress, however small it is.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

By MERUZ on tumblr

Link: https://meruz.tumblr.com/post/639579825563123712

I will say I enjoyed Lorna interactions with JP this issue. Like that they kind of lean on each others as the "leads" of the team.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Once again, I think I'll go backwards from most recent first, focusing on TV/film this time.

The Gifted

Played by Emma Dumont, this was the very first (and so far only) time we've ever seen Lorna in live action. Dumont became a big fan of the character as she played Lorna, and it showed as she did amazing with Lorna in season 1.

Wolverine and the X-Men

In this cartoon, Lorna is on Genosha as part of the Magnus family - which includes Wanda and Pietro. This was made in 2009, the latter half of the same decade that brought us Genosha and the family. It was made before the retcon on the twins' parentage happened.

She has an almost-romance with Gambit for one episode. In another episode, we see future Lorna deeply traumatized, living in the ruins of Genosha after it's been destroyed, wearing her father's helmet.

Unfortunately, it only lasted for one season. It had plans for 3 seasons, but then the Disney buyout happened and all the X-Men projects got shut down.

X-Men 90s animated series

I'm including this for completeness sake. She was in the 90s TV show for a couple episodes. I can't say too much as I never really watched it.
    FYI the GIF you are quoting is NOT from the 90's series. It's actually from Wolverine and the X-Men from 2009. It's only 1 season long but it was really good and Polaris plays a major role in the final arc, I recommend you watch the series if you can.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfire View Post
    FYI the GIF you are quoting is NOT from the 90's series. It's actually from Wolverine and the X-Men from 2009. It's only 1 season long but it was really good and Polaris plays a major role in the final arc, I recommend you watch the series if you can.
    They know that. The gif falls below the heading of Wolverine and the X-Men, not TAS, and mentions some of what you're stating. Note the Emma Dumont pics and gifs are under The Gifted title.

Spectacular Member

ah oops! I misread that part.

It happens, thanks anyway!

I'm planning to edit that post and maybe the major moments one later, I just haven't done it yet.

I did watch WatXM. Fun story, when it was coming out, I hadn't yet found out Lorna existed. So all I knew about it was really its name and cover art, and I was dismissive of it because I didn't like Wolverine put before the franchise that spawned him. Then I found out Lorna existed, subsequently learned she was on WatXM, watched the entire show because of her and enjoyed it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Welp I forgot it was 2021, because it honestly feels like 2020 part 2. But anyways X-Factor dissaponted me, I wish Lorna was Leader...or off the team doin something better. I just am so dissponted and won’t spoil anything. But what should I have expected...this is Marvel.

Lorna's time during the Morrison/Austen era was the focus of this week's BoTA podcast

https://www.comicsxf.com/2021/01/11/...-book-of-love/
    This week we talk about Lorna Dane, the lady known as Polaris. She had a rough go of it at the start of the 00s and we dive right into that whole ding dang mess.

Also, Zack got a football fact wrong and is very sorry that he implied that the traitor Tommy Tuberville used to coach Alabama, not Auburn. It’s been a long week and Zack tries to think about the SEC as little as possible.

Bama still sucks. Go Bucks!

Ranked This Episode:

Uncanny X-Men #442-443 (Of Darkest Nights)
    Uncanny X-Men #425-426 (Sacred Vows)
    New X-Men #132 (Ambient Magnetic Fields)