Page 21 of 105 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Polaris has one of the smartest dresses in my opinion. Pretty, simple and thematic.
    I'm seeing a hint of Iris Van Herpen (LOVE!!!) in this design but I do wish it was more...extravagant, and that the cover artist would have executed it and the other looks better.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

On the plus side, she could give Joker a run for his money.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Link

What outfit do others envision Lorna taking to the Hellfire Club Gala? I had to think about it and look around, but this would be close as a tad darker then her House of M wear for Magneto's birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    art by
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-29-2021 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Second, she's not just a random person showing up to the party. She's one of 8 candidates for the team. You would expect all 8 candidates to show up in something VERY impressive. They're the biggest stars of the show, the characters everyone's keeping their eyes on to see who won and gets to be part of the team. Don't you want your stars to really stand out in a big way?
    This is such a good point. I didn't think of that. I wonder if there is going to be like an event around the "crowning" of the winner of the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    This design is simple. Too simple. So simple, in light of the Gala's context and what everyone else is wearing, that it's more insulting than exciting. This is going to sound like hyperbole, but even showing up naked would have been better. At least then it could be argued that it's a callback to when she was dug out of Genosha's ruins, or when Malice took control. This calls back to, and references, nothing. Marvel had a whole 52 years worth of character history to work with, looks ranging from Shi'ar to Malice to Austen to Pestilence, and they chose this. Something that stands for, and represents, nothing.
    Her classic costume is already so elegant that it's crazy how simple they went with this gala look. I do see some signs of inspiration from her powers, but it's not enough by a longshot.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    What outfit do others envision Lorna taking to the Hellfire Club Gala? I had to think about it and look around, but this would be close as a tad darker then her House of M wear for Magneto's birthday.
    That kinda looks like the Iris Van Herpen dress I linked!

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    This is such a good point. I didn't think of that. I wonder if there is going to be like an event around the "crowning" of the winner of the vote.

Her classic costume is already so elegant that it's crazy how simple they went with this gala look. I do see some signs of inspiration from her powers, but it's not enough by a longshot.

That kinda looks like the Iris Van Herpen dress I linked!
    Do we know if the candidates know that they’re candidates in universe? Regardless hoping she has some cool moments and fingers-crossed that she gets the spot.

I don't mind it being short but the silhouette is too simplistic and those shoes are the epitome of vomitous hideousity.

Iris Van Herpen Spring/Summer 2018 ...but with more "volume".
    IVH 01.jpg
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Do we know if the candidates know that they’re candidates in universe? Regardless hoping she has some cool moments and fingers-crossed that she gets the spot.
    I don't think we really know that much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I don't mind it being short but the silhouette is too simplistic and those shoes are the epitome of vomitous hideousity.

IVH 01.jpg
    It's the lack of styling really. Just googling Iris Van Herpen and any of those designs would work... I bet Van Herpen has never been mentioned more in a comic book thread than here today!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post

Something inspired by this look could have been interesting. Flowing metal as a dress that changes from one panel to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Bearing in mind that the bar is on the floor, here's a few designs in my immediate collection that could work well in a gala context.

These are actual real world dress designs that I posted previously, AFAIK the designer didn't know Lorna exists.

This design's by Peter Nguyen from a couple years ago.

In the same vein as my reply to Devaishwarya, Lorna could've had metal molded to her form in specific areas and/or used an ever-shifting "debris cloud" of metal about her. Would've made for one of the most daring looks in the gala.

Another thought is she could've shown up in the red and gold costume she had after therapy with Doc Samson on X-Factor. It would've still been generally boring for not being a new costume, but at least it would've been a callback to something in her past, and it could've brought some amusing snark about how it's no longer "too racy" like it was considered to be back in the 90s compared to what others are wearing.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    I don't think we really know that much at all.

It's the lack of styling really. Just googling Iris Van Herpen and any of those designs would work... I bet Van Herpen has never been mentioned more in a comic book thread than here today!
    Pretty much...
    That hair, those shoes...it's like she isn't even trying. I mean...yes, she may be just there to get her dance on but...show up, show out and slay first, dammit.

Flat hair. Ugly dress and hideous shoes. She even look demented in the face like she belongs in a straight jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Flat hair. Ugly dress and hideous shoes. She even look demented in the face like she belongs in a straight jacket.
    That last one is because she knows it's only a matter of time before the writers hook her back up with Alex...
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    My first thought was Joker from DC. Change the dress to purple and it actually comes very close to one of the Jared Leto Joker looks. One of my Tumblr mutuals said she looks like a jellyfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    That last one is because she knows it's only a matter of time before the writers hook her back up with Alex...
    They're certainly trying hard to keep her from being recognized and respected for anything. Pretty sure this is deliberate, as giving Lorna any real representation runs the risk of their not easily being able to force her back into "Havok's supporting character girlfriend that exists exclusively to please him" territory.

A new thought, maybe the dress is so simple because the artists involved are completely incapable of drawing anything better. Daken's only wearing a simple suit after all. Stands to reason that something more complex might have been beyond their abilities. Obviously doesn't excuse the design, but could explain why they didn't give her one that actually suits her. It's much easier to simplify a complex figure, especially one you don't care about, than to accurately portray its complexity.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

I would like Lorna to be sporting floating metal accents like Jean’s telepathic crown or Storm’s cloud cloak. Utilising her mutant powers.

8DD6A250-2DD1-4B08-B287-9C8062ECA5B4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I would like Lorna to be sporting floating metal accents like Jean’s telepathic crown or Storm’s cloud cloak. Utilising her mutant powers.

8DD6A250-2DD1-4B08-B287-9C8062ECA5B4.jpg
    Yes, I like this design. It's elegant, it makes use of her powers, and it retains the identifying feature of her headdress. The flowing nature of that dress is also a very nice touch, reminiscent of her cape without actually being her cape. The metal pieces around her wrist are a neat touch. Sort of like a "wrist free" bracelet.

I've been wanting to commission something of Lorna as an animated GIF for a while. I might do it for a hypothetical gala look that makes use of her powers.

All-New Member

*coughs from the void* As someone that has written many, many, scenes of Hellfire Club galas and has written Lorna into these things... (Be it fanfic or role-plays) I have a Pinterest board of various green outfits that would pop with Lorna. ((And I am severely disappointed in the artwork in general for the Hellfire Gala for most characters, but that's another rant. ))
    Lorna's everything is far too boring. It looks like something she could wear anywhere. And that's not something that makes sense for the Hellfire Club. She needs flash, accessories, SOMETHING. This is decidedly the event to go all out on. Go crazy, experiment, and be over the top.

Some Examples:
    Paris Fashion Week 2019
    Christian Dior at Couture Fall 2007
    Amit Aggarwal at India Couture Week 2019

Throw on a headpiece, a statement bit of jewelry, something extra! The dress itself can be simple with a bit of spice.. a bit of something. Our girl has had so many outfit variants over the years that you could mix all sorts of things and make a callback. I'm deeply irritated and I get it, it's likely a tall order for the artist to draw and come up with multiple styles of high fashion ensembles for all the characters, never mind make them play nice on a comic page. (I certainly can't draw to save my life.) But the hype over all of this leads to certain expectations. And mine are sorely disapointed. Again.
    Last edited by Lunabelle0; 03-18-2021 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typo