Page 30 of 105 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Wait....what happened between Jean and Lorna that damaged their friendship?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Why do you say they have a damaged friendship?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Why do you say they have a damaged friendship?
    Oh, sorry, on the last page, JMC had a different post which is now changed and it said something like their friendship is irreparable or something. So I didn't know what that was in reference to specifically. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you or anyone. Just trying to catch up on something I might have missed.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Oh, sorry, on the last page, JMC had a different post which is now changed and it said something like their friendship is irreparable or something. So I didn't know what that was in reference to specifically. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you or anyone. Just trying to catch up on something I might have missed.
    Oh ok. They dont have a damaged friendship; they simply havent interacted much at all bc Jean's been dead for so long. Prior to that, Lorna unfortunately wasnt used much in the X-men books that Jean was in. In the UXM Shi'ar story, Lorna acknowledged that she missed Jean. They were both X-men during Disassembled but nothing significant came out of that as they were on different squads for the most part

I said their relationship atrophied meaning it slowly dried up like a plant without water for a lack of good development. This is as more about fans thinking of them then whatever exists or doesn’t in universe.

That doesn't mean it can't grow again, but few fans today that do not spend alot of time going into back issues know they ever had any friendship between them.

I did feel by the late 90s to the early 00s writers were trying to do something new with them, but whatever they were thinking of wasn’t executed really before Jean died.

I do think this is a chance for Duggan to start mostly fresh given they haven’t really talked since Jean was resurrected.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-23-2021 at 04:14 PM.

Ah, got it. Thanks guys.

There's definitely a lot of options in modern dynamics for them, because a lot has happened between when they last got to have any truly significant relationship and today. At the same time, I hope how far they go back is kept in mind. People that went to high school together aren't the same way they were in high school at their 50th reunion, but they still remember and share memories of the old days.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    There's definitely a lot of options in modern dynamics for them, because a lot has happened between when they last got to have any truly significant relationship and today. At the same time, I hope how far they go back is kept in mind. People that went to high school together aren't the same way they were in high school at their 50th reunion, but they still remember and share memories of the old days.
    You've raised an excellent point, Sal.

Many readers forget that a lot has happened to these characters, not just Jean and Lorna, over the course of decades (STS not withstanding)...that will and should decidedly (and significantly, depending on the character) change characters as part of their ongoing, literary development.
    The Lorna of 2021 Krakoa should be somewhat removed from the Lorna we see, post Inferno...not outright different but more three-dimensional with added layers and depth because of those many and sometimes traumatic life experiences.

So while Jean and Lorna have history as good friends, to expect them to suddenly reconnect that friendship as if nothing has happened to both of them in the intervening years, that's a little far-fetched.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 04-24-2021 at 05:08 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Oh ok. They dont have a damaged friendship; they simply havent interacted much at all bc Jean's been dead for so long. Prior to that, Lorna unfortunately wasnt used much in the X-men books that Jean was in. In the UXM Shi'ar story, Lorna acknowledged that she missed Jean. They were both X-men during Disassembled but nothing significant came out of that as they were on different squads for the most part
    And even when Jean came back the first time, Lorna wasn't the one driving her body. And right before the Phoenix Saga, Lorna was brainwashed by Eric the Red. So it went Lorna's Not Home, to Jean's Dead, and then to There Is No Lorna, Only Xul (Malice).

I think that is a decade or more of real time, and doesn't get into Jean's second visit to the great hereafter, or any other bouts of Lorna not being in the driver's seat. I'm willing to bet that over the first 50 years of both characters existing, they were incapable of interacting with each other for at least 30 of them.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Before Jean died the last time with the 15 year absence, didn't she help Lorna who was going insane with magnetic messages from Magneto or something similar? I do not think Charles could sense her thoughts, but Jean located Lorna and knew something was wrong.

Before Jean died the last time with the 15 year absence, didn't she help Lorna who was going insane with magnetic messages from Magneto or something similar? I do not think Charles could sense her thoughts, but Jean located Lorna and knew something was wrong.
    Sort of. Lorna was carrying the last memories of 16 million mutants in her head though the whole team found her.

Last edited by jmc247; 04-24-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Sort of. Lorna was carrying the last memories of 16 million mutants in her head though the whole team found her.

Yes, those are some of the scenes. I thought Jean later comforted Lorna after they retrieved her?

Yes, those are some of the scenes. I thought Jean later comforted Lorna after they retrieved her?
    Yes she did at the end of the issue.

Last edited by jmc247; 04-24-2021 at 06:13 PM.