Page 32 of 105 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    It is interesting that no one has developed a in depth familial relationship for Lorna and Erik. So much time has passed yet all we get is one liners or tiny spats between the two. This needs to be put in motion or their father/daughter bond means nothing.

As for her powers again, I would love to see more power feats. Throwing metal around is nice but let’s get more detail on expanding her powers. From what I’ve seen it’s going in the right direction.
    Agreed we need to see more interaction between them both.

I would like to see Polaris train with her powers or try new things with them now that she will be expected to fight all kind of different adversaries as X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    I made a thread on Twitter of some of my favorite Polaris feats! She did some pretty big stuff while in space with the Starjammers. I don’t need Lorna to be a listed Omega. She’s already pretty powerful. I just need her to actually get to use her powers which it looks like she’s finally going to be able to based on the X-Men #1 promo art
    Agreed she always was one of the only ones who could keep a fight with Vulcan and even hurt him and yes to see her use her powers on different ways.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    It is interesting that no one has developed a in depth familial relationship for Lorna and Erik. So much time has passed yet all we get is one liners or tiny spats between the two. This needs to be put in motion or their father/daughter bond means nothing.
    The pro to their lack of relationship activity is that there's plenty of room for Marvel to figure it out, and easily correct any missteps in their efforts. It's largely untouched territory. They don't have decades worth of toxicity to clean up for anything meaningful to happen. The con is that there's decades of toxicity with other characters, and that runs a big risk of writers applying that toxicity to Lorna and Magneto's relationship since it's much easier and more nostalgia-laden than creating a newer, healthier, more intriguing relationship between them. Overall, if necessary, slow and steady to get it right is preferred over a lot of missteps.

Also, I think some people misunderstand my point in moments where I bring up the Omega classifications. My point is not "Lorna needs to be labeled an Omega." It's not about a fancy title. It's that under current criteria and what past comics have said, Magneto being considered one but Lorna not is a double standard. That, in turn, artificially limits ideas of what Lorna can do and who she can be. Writers may decide a great direction for Lorna cannot be pursued because it's too "Omega" for her. I would not mention it if the criteria were different.

In any case, as I've said, I'm planning to get the Hellfire Gala and X-Men issues digitally from all I've seen so far and I'm hoping for good things out of it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I don’t think Lorna could be an omega by the current definition. It’s been stated that she’s more powerful than Magneto but it’s never been shown in her feats compared to what we’ve actually seen Magneto do. I think with her joining the X-Men, we’ll get to see her flex her powers more and she’ll have more feats. She’s a powerhouse on this new team!

I don’t think Lorna could be an omega by the current definition. It’s been stated that she’s more powerful than Magneto but it’s never been shown in her feats compared to what we’ve actually seen Magneto do. I think with her joining the X-Men, we’ll get to see her flex her powers more and she’ll have more feats. She’s a powerhouse on this new team!
    Yes, I want to see a powerful Lorna do things. Jean too. Actually, these 2 ladies in combo could move worlds!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

One thing I am optimistic about is that I feel we'll get to see some cool power stunts from Lorna in X-Men. Not sure it'll deliver on super significant character interactions, but I am hopeful on the action. I believe Duggan said Polaris has a nice moment in the first issue, but I'm too lazy to find the Tweet.

An unfortunate byproduct of Lorna's relationship with Magneto, is that writers often approach Polaris as still being too much of a novice when compared to her father. Max is much stronger than Lorna, but it's still frustrating. Lorna did spend a chunk of time with Magneto on Genosha training in the use of her abilities. She should be written with a far better grasp of her mutant abilities, and is capable of far more interesting things then force fields, and energy blasts.

I made a thread on Twitter of some of my favorite Polaris feats! She did some pretty big stuff while in space with the Starjammers. I don’t need Lorna to be a listed Omega. She’s already pretty powerful. I just need her to actually get to use her powers which it looks like she’s finally going to be able to based on the X-Men #1 promo art
    Her '03-'04 New X-Men and Uncanny runs had some of the most complex powerset feats she ever pulled. It think this run would be better off focusing on her fighting no holds barred with skill instead of galactic power level moments. The core issue of Lorna on the team will be having it be more then Lorna just being there. Lorna tends to feel like she is just there in her very reserved and powerful mutant powerhouse persona.

Lorna's current outfit goes well with where I think the character would be best off going for the near future. Not the all powerful mutant goddess that with her mind moves the Earth's axis, but instead the mutant activist brawler who helps to shake up the team dynamic.

An unfortunate byproduct of Lorna's relationship with Magneto, is that writers often approach Polaris as still being too much of a novice when compared to her father. Max is much stronger than Lorna, but it's still frustrating. Lorna did spend a chunk of time with Magneto on Genosha training in the use of her abilities. She should be written with a far better grasp of her mutant abilities, and is capable of far more interesting things then force fields, and energy blasts.
    On Genosha she received a skill increase and a bigger skill and power increase then ever when she got back to the X-Men. After Austen left it felt like the next few runs forgot she had been trained and should be more (to use a karate analogy) lower grade blackbelt to Magneto's upper grade not a green or yellow belt.

Many of the runs also tried to differentiate them by playing up Magneto's philosophical depth while playing down Lorna has any. This was very true of their Bunn era interactions where he overdid the idea of Lorna as a generic heroine without an interest in mutant affairs. I gave Hickman a fair bit of kudos for being the first writer to not do that with them since they were together on Genosha and actually had them if too briefly discuss humanity.

Lorna and Magneto need a writer who knows them and their history both well to really further their relationship.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-27-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Lorna in X-men

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Lorna in X-men

more

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Loving seeing Polaris doing her thing <3.

Pepe's visuals continue to be a blessing.

I'm pretty amazed, in a good way, to see Lorna so prominent in these pages.

My interpretation of what I see so far is that Lorna tries to attack the giant robot directly, but it doesn't work, and it counters. Rogue swoops in to get her before the attack can connect. Then later, Lorna uses nearby metal to contain it (pages out of order as posted here).

If my interpretation is right or close, it's a very good sign for how well the script is constructed to let visuals tell its story - it doesn't need text to tell you what's happening.

I also get the feeling this could be a very good first issue. Opening with a lot of action before leading into character-heavy content. IMO placing focus on Lorna even if just for these pages is a good plan since she's "fresh" enough for casual readers to wonder who she is and what she's going to do about it, vs being able to make good and accurate predictions of what other characters would do. Same could be said about when Synch will do things, IMO.

I'm also wondering if the page of Lorna putting stuff around the robot has an element of the robot using an attack that Lorna is able to resist. I say that because the others are holding their heads while Lorna's using her powers. Plenty to hypothesize about in just these few pages.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Mutants fashion looks a lot like uman, secially the gangsta fur style LOL

Thanks Rang10 x-factor

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I'm pretty amazed, in a good way, to see Lorna so prominent in these pages.

My interpretation of what I see so far is that Lorna tries to attack the giant robot directly, but it doesn't work, and it counters. Rogue swoops in to get her before the attack can connect. Then later, Lorna uses nearby metal to contain it (pages out of order as posted here).

If my interpretation is right or close, it's a very good sign for how well the script is constructed to let visuals tell its story - it doesn't need text to tell you what's happening.

I also get the feeling this could be a very good first issue. Opening with a lot of action before leading into character-heavy content. IMO placing focus on Lorna even if just for these pages is a good plan since she's "fresh" enough for casual readers to wonder who she is and what she's going to do about it, vs being able to make good and accurate predictions of what other characters would do. Same could be said about when Synch will do things, IMO.

I'm also wondering if the page of Lorna putting stuff around the robot has an element of the robot using an attack that Lorna is able to resist. I say that because the others are holding their heads while Lorna's using her powers. Plenty to hypothesize about in just these few pages.
    I think you underscore how good Pepe larraz is on his storytelling

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I think you underscore how good Pepe larraz is on his storytelling
    Good point about the artist's ability to visually convey everything. I should've noted that more. It's a team effort after all.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

loveloveLOVE it!!!
    (although that monster looks much like the alien Hive Queen in Independence Day: Resurgence)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!