Page 34 of 105 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    I like this because it's like the first time I can remember Lorna and Rogue actually interacting with each other,
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I like this because it's like the first time I can remember Lorna and Rogue actually interacting with each other,
    They seemed quite close in Austen and Milligan's runs

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Without really being friends, they seemed quite close in Austen and Milligan's runs
    I am struggling to remember if or when they interacted in Milligan’s run. Austen’s run yes.

They seemed to be not friends yes, but close teammates in Austen’s runs and kind of distant teammates in Milligan. Lorna grew distant from everyone other then Havok and Iceman during Milligan’s run.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-28-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    They seemed quite close in Austen and Milligan's runs
    True. Though I try really hard to forget that run. Forgive my memory but was that the last time the were on the same team?
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    True. Though I try really hard to forget that run.
    In terms of Austen I certainly get why many fans dislike his run. I very much do. Though with Lorna for those who look he provided a workable formula for her to add to the dynamics of an x-team which was not followed up on much to her detriment. In terms of the love triangle he had with Lorna, Annie, and Havok one can take it or leave it. I thought it was fun at times, but would have rather the time been spent on other things.

What worked was Lorna who had a harder philosophical edge (for good reason) enough to create space between Lorna and her team to have real issues between them when not on mission or talking about the romantic life of the team. One also really got to understand what motivated her and how she felt. The core concept has not been replicated in the comics since, but played out on TV in the first season of The Gifted.

Milligan after Austen left got rid of her more activist pro-mutant ideas and amped up big time her mental instability so she was conveniently crazy a lot and it didn't really work. Lorna's past few runs have been more willing to use force then her 90s depiction. But, she was missing her mutant activist edge that made the team dynamics she had going for her in Austen's run and the first season of The Gifted work.

Forgive my memory but was that the last time the were on the same team?
    The last ongoing was Milligan, the last team up was in space in Legacy.

Last edited by jmc247; 04-29-2021 at 06:38 PM.

I am loving the X-men 1 preview. Polaris does look really good. I'm not completely sold on her outfit. Her X-factor design wasn't my fav either but Pepe could make any outfit work imo. I am glad Polaris is getting a good spotlight. She is definitely on a very powerful team. I can't wait to see her interact with Jean, Rogue, Sunfire, Synch and the others. I would love to see her do some power combos with Jean but we should for sure see her combo with Synch and/or Rogue (or one would think).

It will be interesting to see where Duggan takes her personality. Which version of Lorna will we get?

I really like this version of the dress here. Maybe it doesn't look as good in motion?

Marvel.com has up a tweet recognizing the Jim Lee homage cover.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    It will be interesting to see where Duggan takes her personality. Which version of Lorna will we get?
    Her persona and motivation are interesting questions yet to be resolved.

I didn’t envy the task Duggan had in front of him. Some of the stuff between The Wolverine (Laura) and the X-Men the past few years has been strong, but she has also missed out on some of the biting snark and cynicism of The Wolverine (Logan).

With Lorna most of her post M-Day stuff with the X-Men has been at best flat and dull. Their interaction has been lacking in motivation, personality, and emotional resonance that doesn’t feel forced or couldn’t be replicated or bettered by any of a host of other X-Men.

Most fandoms are reluctant to say when something has been not working with their character so the mistakes keep happening. Polaris fandom on there score is better then most to the extent I am sure it’s been irritating to some creators. But, the worst thing a fandom can do is to try to act like certain things are working that are not.

The issues Lorna’s interaction with the X-Men had are resolvable we will just wait to see the books conception of her and her relationship to the X-Men.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-30-2021 at 09:00 AM.

I actually think the homage could be better as I didnt instantly recognize it as such. Rogue and Cyclops as 2 of the only character on both, should have been in their same placement. Its an odd choice to switch them

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I actually think the homage could be better as I didnt instantly recognize it as such. Rogue and Cyclops as 2 of the only character on both, should have been in their same placement. Its an odd choice to switch them
    I would agree with that.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a quite strong cover. The artist had two sketch designs one with the X-Men following their battle pose against Lorna like the Jim Lee cover I thought that was the more dynamic of the two.

I knew it was a X-Men #1 homage quicker because it actually first reminded me of the Emma and Polaris Brotherhood cards they put out for one of their card games a decade ago which was also a Jim Lee homage.

Pointing out or complaining about problems can be annoying, but it's also very necessary. Positive change can only happen when you know something needs to be changed, and the importance of doing it. Without that, the default human behavior is to settle into what's easiest and most common. Assumptions about a character's worth and potential prevail when nobody's willing to advocate for them in a critical manner. Letting those assumptions run rampant or acting as if everything is perfect risks character decay where they get reduced to the simplest, and sometimes most insulting tropes. Why put in more effort than necessary, especially if fans will accept anything and spin it as gold?

Of course, it's also possible to be too harsh or react to criticism too strongly over things that don't need it. It's impossible to make a perfect product. You can't fix everything. That's a reality of life, not just in fiction. So the focus really needs to be on things that are the most egregious, followed by the easiest to change. Small things can certainly be mentioned just for comment's sake, to keep in mind, but it's not like major action needs to be taken over every single criticism. Someone littering doesn't need to go to jail over it. Don't need to be miette.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

The many variant covers still have some unknown artists any artist in particular people are hoping to see draw Lorna?
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-01-2021 at 04:38 PM.

What version of Lorna can we get? Hopefully, it’s a a little less problematic and she moves on ahead of some of her past. Not ignoring it but dealing with her past more healthier than she has been portrayed before. One thing I would like to see is Malice return with Lorna having to deal with someone who destroyed her life. I also would like to see Lorna not just rediscover her past friendships with Scott , Jean and the original X-men with acknowledging what’s happened before and where they go from there. Let’s not forget that Sinister and Shadow King (both who have hurt Lorna) have something up their sleeves. Also, I mentioned this before but we know so little of her adoptive parents that needs to be displayed more.