Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 246
  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I think Lorna´s problem in part is because she´s seen as a silver age lady damssel in distress or as the princess heir of Magneto who writers don´t quite know how to write interacting with him, I really would like if we could avoid the old tropes of them not getting along or him being dissapointed she´s not "strong enough" or her hating him as Wanda and Pietro do because Lorna is a hero and he a villain/grey character at best or as this child who has yet to earn her place at the side of her father as has a lot of insecurities. I disagree with those takes because they ignore one of the most interesting era on their relationship before they were related, their time in Genosha. This time not only served to develop her powers but also their mutual understanding, Lorna got to know him not only as magneto, the mutant leader/enemy of the X-men but as a person and was ok in telling him when she didn´t agree with him and when to tell other people to give it a chance to what he was saying because it made sense.



    My favourite take on her os usually done by writers who know her character as a witty person, who cares about the people close to her, who has a temper but also can be fun showing it and also someone with her own losses and pain who still would like to live her life with a cause, happiness and great energy. When she´s written like this it allows her to be her own person and hold her own without the need to make her confrontational with other people and when she´s like this with her father it helps to contrast in a nice way with his usual serious personality, allowing him to remember he can be witty too and joke around with his children.



    I had plenty of issues with Bunn's use of her on Blue, but to his credit he did greatly improve on his treatment of Lorna around Magneto toward the end (where the above page comes from). It's a shame there wasn't improvement in other ways. But the improvement there deserves some kudos. Lorna and Magneto's relationship as family is relatively new. It's still possible to make rare missteps and course correct, compared to other cases where there's so much past bad blood that the slightest misstep right now can be damning.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress.

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad, now complete!

    Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

  2. #62
    Spectacular Member BESTXMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quick question for long time Polaris fans. My introduction to Polaris came in X-Factor #89 as a child and I was instantly a fan for life. I loved the Joe Quesada designed red and gold costume that she ended up using for like 4 apperances. She debuted it in #87, the 1993 annual then 89-92 and by 93 she had changed to a different costume. She made a remark that I thought was interesting.

    My question is, did the hypersexualized costume cause a stir? I notice that in the first appearances it looks comically hypersexualized, then they added yellow pants and by 93 it was gone. Is there a story there? The initial design is comical, but the added yellow pants I actually think her best look ever. I wish they brought it back. polaris.jpg

  3. #63

    Default

    I don't know if there was any kind of OFFICIAL stir or backlash to this costume. But one of my Twitter mutuals made a good observation recently that both this costume and Sue Storm's infamous number 4 boob window costume were redesigns for the 90s. They appear to be from roughly the same time too - Sue was using her costume at least as early as 1994 if not earlier. And we know Sue's had a huge backlash that led to Marvel retconning it away as Malice. So there's a fair chance some kind of backlash led to Marvel changing the costume.

    I can think of other reasons why it might've happened, but that's the closest to an answer I've got right now.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress.

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad, now complete!

    Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

  4. #64
    Incredible Member Thundershot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I don't know if there was any kind of OFFICIAL stir or backlash to this costume. But one of my Twitter mutuals made a good observation recently that both this costume and Sue Storm's infamous number 4 boob window costume were redesigns for the 90s. They appear to be from roughly the same time too - Sue was using her costume at least as early as 1994 if not earlier. And we know Sue's had a huge backlash that led to Marvel retconning it away as Malice. So there's a fair chance some kind of backlash led to Marvel changing the costume.

    I can think of other reasons why it might've happened, but that's the closest to an answer I've got right now.
    It’s funny how you mention Sue, because both have been taken over by entities named Malice. Also Sue’s costume wasn’t retconned into being Malice. She absorbed Malice while still in the regular uniform. She didn’t get the boob window uniform until after that, so it was part of the story, not a retcon.

    As fo the Quesada Polaris outfit... it was no worse than Psylocke. I kinda liked it. Only thing I didn’t like was that the team’s uniforms (sans Pietro) were all great and matching (while still being unique) in issue 71, but they kept changing them until they were just boring. I loved the Stroman costumes.

  5. #65
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,342

    Default

    I don't know if there was any fan backlash. Lorna's costume really is no different than Psylocke's so I don't imagine that there was? But I don't know. It debuted with Peter David, and I assume it was part of an overall plot he had for Polaris, and when he left I guess they felt she should change it. Lorna had body issues during PAD's short tenure, and I don't think anyone really touched on that again after his departure. I can't remember if JM did, but I don't recall anyone doing much with that plot thread.

    I don't like the red/gold color scheme on Lorna, but I LOVED the metal on the torso. Such a great detail/addition.


  6. #66
    Spectacular Member AZPolaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    117

    Default

    I actually did a re-color of that costume and changed the red to purple. It looked awesome

  7. #67
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZPolaris View Post
    I actually did a re-color of that costume and changed the red to purple. It looked awesome
    Purple would look so much better! I've always considered purple Lorna's secondary color. Do you think you can post your recolor? If you want to of course.

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I don't know if there was any fan backlash. Lorna's costume really is no different than Psylocke's so I don't imagine that there was? But I don't know. It debuted with Peter David, and I assume it was part of an overall plot he had for Polaris, and when he left I guess they felt she should change it. Lorna had body issues during PAD's short tenure, and I don't think anyone really touched on that again after his departure. I can't remember if JM did, but I don't recall anyone doing much with that plot thread.

    I don't like the red/gold color scheme on Lorna, but I LOVED the metal on the torso. Such a great detail/addition.

    It's kind of a shame nobody touched on body image issues later on. I don't think it should be a thing now (at least not without being very careful with it), but at the time she had so much happen to her body that it would've made sense for her to have body dysmorphia and feel disassociated from her body. And of course, even if it was done today, it shouldn't overshadow far more important things like the Genoshan genocide.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress.

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad, now complete!

    Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

  9. #69
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    It's kind of a shame nobody touched on body image issues later on. I don't think it should be a thing now (at least not without being very careful with it), but at the time she had so much happen to her body that it would've made sense for her to have body dysmorphia and feel disassociated from her body. And of course, even if it was done today, it shouldn't overshadow far more important things like the Genoshan genocide.
    Yeah, it's disappointing that it ended up getting dropped once PAD left. It made sense at the time seeing as how this was after the Muir Island Saga, and Lorna had lost her super-strength/durability/increased stature. Going from that, to Lorna's natural state clearly had an impact on her self-esteem/perception of herself. I don't know where David was planning on going with that, but I don't know if the storyline would have the same impact now that its been awhile.

  10. #70
    Incredible Member Thundershot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Yeah, it's disappointing that it ended up getting dropped once PAD left. It made sense at the time seeing as how this was after the Muir Island Saga, and Lorna had lost her super-strength/durability/increased stature. Going from that, to Lorna's natural state clearly had an impact on her self-esteem/perception of herself. I don't know where David was planning on going with that, but I don't know if the storyline would have the same impact now that its been awhile.
    And it wasn’t all physical. She spent the better part of six years (our time) under the thrall of Malice or the Shadow King. Poor girl’s got issues.

  11. #71
    Amazing Member UncannyLZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    It's kind of a shame nobody touched on body image issues later on. I don't think it should be a thing now (at least not without being very careful with it), but at the time she had so much happen to her body that it would've made sense for her to have body dysmorphia and feel disassociated from her body. And of course, even if it was done today, it shouldn't overshadow far more important things like the Genoshan genocide.
    Have you read the run? If not, I definitely recommend it! They did touch on Polaris and her body issues. It was a major plot point for her during X-Factor and it was the “in universe” reason why she changed her costume. Lorna actually went to therapy which I loved. She even continued to see her therapist after X-Factor ended.

    B3D90B65-4AC2-49D8-9464-487E50CBE8C7.jpg

  12. #72
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,171

    Default



    I don´t have a favourite uniform for Lorna but this is one I like the most, I really enyojed Lorna´s exiles characterization and uniform.

    Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I had plenty of issues with Bunn's use of her on Blue, but to his credit he did greatly improve on his treatment of Lorna around Magneto toward the end (where the above page comes from). It's a shame there wasn't improvement in other ways. But the improvement there deserves some kudos. Lorna and Magneto's relationship as family is relatively new. It's still possible to make rare missteps and course correct, compared to other cases where there's so much past bad blood that the slightest misstep right now can be damning.
    Agreed I think they just need to interact a little more in similar situations where they or one of them just wants to have some time to talk about each other, it´s the same reason I liked X-Factor hint that they still have tea together on the HoM house
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-16-2021 at 09:58 PM.
    "The time for subtlety is passing. Now is the time for change." [New Mutants (Vol. 1) #38]

  13. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    Have you read the run? If not, I definitely recommend it! They did touch on Polaris and her body issues. It was a major plot point for her during X-Factor and it was the “in universe” reason why she changed her costume. Lorna actually went to therapy which I loved. She even continued to see her therapist after X-Factor ended.

    B3D90B65-4AC2-49D8-9464-487E50CBE8C7.jpg
    I haven't read the run, still don't want to, but I see that one thing as good especially immediately following how badly Claremont treated her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post


    I don´t have a favourite uniform for Lorna but this is one of my favourites, I really enyojed Lorna´s exiles characterization and uniform.
    Exiles version Lorna is among the top depictions of her IMO, and I think the uniform is fine for that version but not for 616. It was pretty clear Jeff Parker was putting some real thought into Lorna and Wanda as sisters and the Magnus family in general.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress.

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad, now complete!

    Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

  14. #74
    Mighty Member houndsofluv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,559

    Default

    the red and gold is one of my favourite lorna looks full stop . outrageous, sexy , tacky . stellar . pains me to admit but sometimes PAD hits :^ (

  15. #75
    Incredible Member Alphaxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    571

    Default

    I didn't like Quesada's costume because of the colors. Red and Yellow or "gold" clashed with her green hair. I preferred when they changed it to blue and yellow. In fact, even though I love her updated original look by Billy Tan, I think blue work with her green tresses so much better. Surprisingly, my 2nd favorite look is her original X-Factor uniform. [I also like the perm too].

    Too bad none of her "iconic" looks use dark blue. If it's not monochromatic green, it's some version of purple to tie her with Magneto.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •