Page 60 of 105 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

They are saying that she will face Magneto, it remains to be seen why. Also, I think there will be an X-mens vs. clash. Avengers, maybe.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Leah's Magneto does always seem to be one small step away from going full Ultimate on Lorna yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    To be fair, that universe's concept of Lorna deserved it for using that slur.
    What slur? I don´t remember Lorna using one but given it´s Ultimate it would not surprise me and yes their interacting there was just painful to see but I had the same feeling for almost all characters there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    They are saying that she will face Magneto, it remains to be seen why. Also, I think there will be an X-mens vs. clash. Avengers, maybe.
    Yes I can see Lorna making that face if she´s fighting her father, sigh I hope he´s possesed but given Leah´s take on them that´s not a sure thing and the X-men vs Avengers is bassically confirmed
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

link

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Yes I can see Lorna making that face if she´s fighting her father, sigh I hope he´s possesed but given Leah´s take on them that´s not a sure thing and the X-men vs Avengers is bassically confirmed
    That is a pretty extreme response for just fighting with dad over something or other. She looks like she is falling to pieces.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-15-2021 at 05:47 PM.

What slur? I don´t remember Lorna using one but given it´s Ultimate it would not surprise me and yes their interacting there was just painful to see but I had the same feeling for almost all characters there.
    By slur, I'm referring to the r-word that depiction of Lorna uses to describe Magneto's name in the image jmc provided. A lot of people have and still do use it that way, particularly younger people (I used it that way when I was younger until I learned how wrong it was), but it's still a slur. Of course, it's worth remembering Ultimates was made a couple decades ago, when people in general were less socially aware (same as how a lot of anti-trans jokes were considered acceptable back then).
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Leah's Magneto does always seem to be one small step away from going full Ultimate on Lorna
    That is a pretty extreme response for just fighting with dad over something or other. She looks like she is falling to pieces.
    Indeed there are some nice moments here and there like when she discovered the meaning of the mystery Saturnyne left for her and he smiled at her or when he was worried for her because she seemed really affected by Rockslide death and wanted to comfort her before Charles stopped him but this dynamic just doens´t ring true to me because Lorna already had to learn with a lot on Genosha and her and Magneto already had going a very confortable relationship that the fact they are father and daughter should have made easier for them to get along, not change their characters to fit that of the overbearing, rich parent, rich as if he didn´t live the first years of his life on extreme poverty, who only cares about his legacy when it comes to his children and her the meek and timid daughter as if she didn´t already fought on a civil war, served for years on X-factor and survived a genocide and it´s by all rights a X-veteran. it´s just false to who they are as characters.

Well I am beggining to sound like a broken record so I will stop now

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    By slur, I'm referring to the r-word that depiction of Lorna uses to describe Magneto's name in the image jmc provided. A lot of people have and still do use it that way, particularly younger people (I used it that way when I was younger until I learned how wrong it was), but it's still a slur. Of course, it's worth remembering Ultimates was made a couple decades ago, when people in general were less socially aware (same as how a lot of anti-trans jokes were considered acceptable back then).
    Thanks, I didn´t notice it before
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 07-15-2021 at 08:32 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Marvel.com: Bid On Items From ‘The Gifted’ In Latest Prop Store Auction

Indeed there are some nice moments here and there like when she discovered the meaning of the mystery Saturnyne left for her and he smiled at her or when he was worried for her because she seemed really affected by Rockslide death and wanted to comfort her before Charles stopped him but this dynamic just doens´t ring true to me because Lorna already had to learn with a lot on Genosha and her and Magneto already had going a very confortable relationship that the fact they are father and daughter should have made easier for them to get along, not change their characters to fit that of the overbearing, rich parent, rich as if he didn´t live the first years of his life on extreme poverty, who only cares about his legacy when it comes to his children and her the meek and timid daughter as if she didn´t already fought on a civil war, served for years on X-factor and survived a genocide and it´s by all rights a X-veteran. it´s just false to who they are as characters.
    I am going to defend Leah a bit here in that in comic mediums you have have a certain amount of flexibly in story telling within reason of a characters history. But, within reason is the key phrase.

The two biggest issues was issue #4 unrelentingly broke down Lorna’s character into something emotionally weak and fragile like a porcelain doll. The issue also broke down Lorna and Magneto’s rapport hard with no upside. There was a couple panels at the end that were supposed to balance the scales from the earlier stuff, but it wasn’t able to do it.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-15-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Marvel.com: Bid On Items From ‘The Gifted’ In Latest Prop Store Auction

I am going to defend Leah a bit here in that in comic mediums you have have a certain amount of flexibly in story telling within reason of a characters history. But, within reason is the key phrase.

The two biggest issues was issue #4 unrelentingly broke down Lorna’s character into something emotionally weak and fragile like a porcelain doll. The issue also broke down Lorna and Magneto’s rapport hard with no upside. There was a couple panels at the end that were supposed to balance the scales from the earlier stuff, but it wasn’t able to do it.
    I agree I may be too harsh with Leah, I forgot comics is not an easy medium and this is a team work so I agree with you, I will be more see Trial of Magneto as if it was the first time I read her book, because despite my protest and complaints, I would love if she did a great work with this story and is fairly recognized by it

Emma Dumont comments on The Gifted raffle and Lorna's headpiece.

I agree I may be too harsh with Leah, I forgot comics is not an easy medium and this is a team work so I agree with you, I will be more see Trial of Magneto as if it was the first time I read her book, because despite my protest and complaints, I would love if she did a great work with this story and is fairly recognized by it
    I felt she decided to make Magneto the central villain of Lorna's story early on. I could tell pretty clearly in the first few issues of X-Factor that was her take on him strangling the life from Lorna with his expectations, domineering and demands. I wasn't going to bash the writer for her take, but I wasn't not going to be critical of what I felt wasn't working within the framework of their previously established interaction.

Their relationship on Genosha was transactional in a very human way. She wanted things from Magneto (training, an ability to help mutants by having a say over an island, etc.). He wanted things from her namely power and an advisor and one day heir. It was those things that made it the most complex and fascinating takes on their interaction. It didn't even require them to be related though it was clearly based on their 60s storyline where they had been.

Among the past two takes on her relationship with Magneto the first was she shares nothing in common with Magneto though she was a daddy's girl who he treated fairly well though sometimes has do to what he thinks is best for her without her approval.

You liked that take on Lorna and Magneto's interaction, but I had an issue with it for actually many of the same reasons as the current one. No, that Mags wasn't domineering towards Lorna, but their relationship treated Lorna as a generic heroine whose motivational connection to Magneto was her high opinion of him and from his prospective his battle was how much to make her part of his life. The core themes from their first (not retconned) storyline together on Genosha I find the most compelling to this day because Lorna's views and actions weren't sold as I am trying to please a father who I never knew. Lorna's views on mutant activism should be rapped up in her own life experiences not what any man around her believes or doesn't believe.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-16-2021 at 08:04 AM.

Guys, could anyone explain more deeply Lorna's powers? As is the difference between her and Magneto, I read somewhere that she is different from him, Polaris has an easier time dealing with extensive energies (Electricity among others) and as he is Omega in Magnetism, the main Power of Polaris would be Electromagnetism, but since there are characters like Xorn and Orn, who say they should be omega in this aspect of power, I get lost..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Guys, could anyone explain more deeply Lorna's powers? As is the difference between her and Magneto, I read somewhere that she is different from him, Polaris has an easier time dealing with extensive energies (Electricity among others) and as he is Omega in Magnetism, the main Power of Polaris would be Electromagnetism, but since there are characters like Xorn and Orn, who say they should be omega in this aspect of power, I get lost..
    Lorna Dane

I felt she decided to make Magneto the central villain of Lorna's story early on. I could tell pretty clearly in the first few issues of X-Factor that was her take on him strangling the life from Lorna with his expectations, domineering and demands. I wasn't going to bash the writer for her take, but I wasn't not going to be critical of what I felt wasn't working within the framework of their previously established interaction.

Their relationship on Genosha was transactional in a very human way. She wanted things from Magneto (training, an ability to help mutants by having a say over an island, etc.). He wanted things from her namely power and an advisor and one day heir. It was those things that made it the most complex and fascinating takes on their interaction. It didn't even require them to be related though it was clearly based on their 60s storyline where they had been.
    Yes I would not mind as much if Lorna protested something that actually happened between them like him choosing to not tell her they are related or him using her powers to fight with the Avengers but this perspective of overbearing father just doesn´t fit because they didn´t have nearly enough time together to form that relationship and their interaction on Genosha was about them agreeging to get something out of the other and work to stabilize Genosha, not much more than that and then after she found out their relationship Genosha was destroyed their father-daugter relationship but there was no time left for that.

Among the past two takes on her relationship with Magneto the first was she shares nothing in common with Magneto though she was a daddy's girl who he treated fairly well though sometimes has do to what he thinks is best for her without her approval.
    I am a little confused here, because really, she´s never been Daddy´s little girl, on Genosha they worked together and were more or less honest on what they hopped to get out of their relationship but they were not really considered family, maybe a little from Magneto´s part because he knew he was her father but she didn´t so their interaction was more like co-workers, allies and sometimes mentor-apprendice.

Later when they got reunited again post space era for Lorna, Lorna had the background of Genosha and a bigger appreciation for Magneto´s perspective after it´s destruction, before that she mainly keep the pov of the X-men, that it was better to work with humanity towards coexistence and to do so either from politics or a mutant team, sadly, this change in her perspective wasn´t reflected when they found each other again, because she went to be part of X-factor and after discovering he put a mental block so she didn´t remember how her mother died she didn´t want anything to do with him.

You liked that take on Lorna and Magneto's interaction, but I had an issue with it for actually many of the same reasons as the current one. No, that Mags wasn't domineering towards Lorna, but their relationship treated Lorna as a generic heroine whose motivational connection to Magneto was her high opinion of him and from his prospective his battle was how much to make her part of his life. The core themes from their first (not retconned) storyline together on Genosha I find the most compelling to this day because Lorna's views and actions weren't sold as I am trying to please a father who I never knew. Lorna's views on mutant activism should be rapped up in her own life experiences not what any man around her believes or doesn't believe.
    I didn´t like X-men Blue because Lorna was a generic heroine there, I just thought it was natural for her to be wary, defensive and a little salty of Magneto after he lied to her about her mothers death but still open enough to interact with him when he´s asking for her help to train the O5 X-men, something that doesn´t compromise her personal morals and it´s something she can do well because of her experience, again, Bunn didn´t go further than this and it´s a shame because this was the perfect moment for them to retake their Genosha relationship as well as the consequences of Lorna experiencing Genosha´s destruction but now with the added dimension of them being father and daughter, they could have bonded over the experience and add Lorna´s personal perspective on activism for mutants, but well this didn´t happen.

I don´t want Lorna to be Daddy´s little girl on Krakoa for Magneto but I find Leah´s take on them as the domineering overbearing father to be false in light of all their previous interactions and the fact she wasn´t raised by him, even when he expected her to become "Genosha´s princess" it was in response from her learning their relationship, not because it was a long term plan he had that he wanted to impose on her, in fact she already have been acting in his name before that with an image inducer so her taking part on the goverment would not have been new either, she would just stop using an image inducer because now she would be an official ruler, making her his official heir to me this felt more like "I am sorry I didn´t tell I was your Dad but I didn´t think you wanted this in your life" apology, a very bad one but still one and yes he definitely made that decision for her from the beggining, since she was a baby but given his personal experiences with Wanda and Pietro, he probably believed Lorna was better off not knowing but of course Lorna is and maybe should be mad at him for taking that decision from her.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 07-16-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Yes I would not mind as much if Lorna protested something that actually happened between them like him choosing to not tell her they are related or him using her powers to fight with the Avengers but this perspective of overbearing father just doesn´t fit because they didn´t have nearly enough time together to form that relationship and their interaction on Genosha was about them agreeging to get something out of the other and work to stabilize Genosha, not much more than that and then after she found out their relationship Genosha was destroyed their father-daugter relationship but there was no time left for that.
    They don't seem to be actually working on anything together and the conflict between them isn't built into any one area.

I am a little confused here, because really, she´s never been Daddy´s little girl, on Genosha they worked together and were more or less honest on what they hopped to get out of their relationship but they were not really considered family, maybe a little from Magneto´s part because he knew he was her father but she didn´t so their interaction was more like co-workers, allies and sometimes mentor-apprendice.
    Outside WATXM where it made sense in universe I would agree though some of Bunn's stuff veered in that direction like his future Deadpool story namely because he didn't give Lorna her own motivation or use a previously established one. The biggest problem on Blue was a lack of motivational ethos for Lorna. She was just reacting to events and the people around her.

What she thinks about mutants and their protection shouldn't be a reaction for or against Magneto. She didn't protect the Genoshan people because of feelings of familial responsibility.

Later when they got reunited again post space era for Lorna, Lorna had the background of Genosha and a bigger appreciation for Magneto´s perspective after it´s destruction, before that she mainly keep the pov of the X-men, that it was better to work with humanity towards coexistence and to do so either from politics or a mutant team, sadly, this change in her perspective wasn´t reflected when they found each other again, because she went to be part of X-factor and after discovering he put a mental block so she didn´t remember how her mother died she didn´t want anything to do with him.
    Before Genosha as in the JM era of X-Factor and onward she developed a more muscular view of mutant human integration and started returning to an eye for an eye thinking. That was one thing the second run era of PAD X-Factor kept for Lorna though she didn't articulate it into an actual set of views then.

I didn´t like X-men Blue because Lorna was a generic heroine there, I just thought it was natural for her to be wary, defensive and a little salty of Magneto after he lied to her about her mothers death but still open enough to interact with him when he´s asking for her help to train the O5 X-men, something that doesn´t compromise her personal morals and it´s something she can do well because of her experience, again, Bunn didn´t go further than this and it´s a shame because this was the perfect moment for them to retake their Genosha relationship as well as the consequences of Lorna experiencing Genosha´s destruction but now with the added dimension of them being father and daughter, they could have bonded over the experience and add Lorna´s personal perspective on activism for mutants, but well this didn´t happen.
    Bunn did a great job with Magneto's pathos from the fallout of Genosha and from the Holocaust as you know. But, when it came to Lorna he didn't dig deep so she ended up with one or two exceptions being written like a generic heroine yes.

I don´t want Lorna to be Daddy´s little girl on Krakoa for Magneto but I find Leah´s take on them as the domineering overbearing father to be false in light of all their previous interactions and the fact she wasn´t raised by him, even when he expected her to become "Genosha´s princess" it was in response from her learning their relationship, not because it was a long term plan he had that he wanted to impose on her, in fact she already have been acting in his name before that with an image inducer so her taking part on the goverment would not have been new either, she would just stop using an image inducer because now she would be an official ruler, making her his official heir to me this felt more like "I am sorry I didn´t tell I was your Dad but I didn´t think you wanted this in your life" apology, a very bad one but still one and yes he definitely made that decision for her from the beggining, since she was a baby but given his personal experiences with Wanda and Pietro, he probably believed Lorna was better off not knowing but of course Lorna is and maybe should be mad at him for taking that decision from her.
    For the Krakoa question now that the House of M is a thing on the island what does that actually mean? Right now it doesn't seem to actually mean much so the bigger question is what should it mean?
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-16-2021 at 02:45 PM.

They don't seem to be actually working on anything together and the conflict between them isn't built into any one area.
    Exactly if they are going to have a conflict it would be better if it´s built on their previous interactions and it isn´t as if they don´t have reasons to have conflicts.

Outside WATXM where it made sense in universe I would agree though some of Bunn's stuff veered in that direction like his future Deadpool story namely because he didn't give Lorna her own motivation or use a previously established one. The biggest problem on Blue was a lack of motivational ethos for Lorna. She was just reacting to events and the people around her.
    It´s true he didn´t give Lorna her own motivation but I don´t think the "Daddy´s little girl perspective" was present in the interactions between Lorna or Magneto during this era, that was mostly teen Jean perspective but it was obvious she didn´t know Lorna or Magneto well or their story so I thought this was a case of a third party seeing them from the outside not how they actually related to each other, the problem is that one comment has been given more importance that it deserves.

What she thinks about mutants and their protection shouldn't be a reaction for or against Magneto. She didn't protect the Genoshan people because of feelings of familial responsibility.
    Agreed she didn´t need previous interaction with him to care about the mutants and humans at Genosha and that´s not the point I am making, my point is that she didn´t really gave Magneto´s pov a second thought until Austen run and his take on Lorna having changing a little her perspective born from her experience of the Genosha genocide and her interactions with Magneto, I didn´t mean she should or should not change her mind in relation to him but because of her experiences. Imo our experiences and relationships affects us and makes us see other povs and that´s what I meant.

Before Genosha as in the JM era of X-Factor and onward she developed a more muscular view of mutant human integration and started returning to an eye for an eye thinking. That was one thing the second run era of PAD X-Factor kept for Lorna though she didn't articulate it into an actual set of views then.
    Yes I believe you showed me some scans about this era, it would be interesting if Duggan looks at this to add to her writing on X-men.

Bunn did a great job with Magneto's pathos from the fallout of Genosha and from the Holocaust as you know. But, when it came to Lorna he didn't dig deep so she ended up with one or two exceptions being written like a generic heroine yes.
    My personal favorite take on Magneto´s pathos has mostly been Claremont´s because he really went into his head, experiences and motivations and after him I have Mike Carey and Cullen Bunn takes that are also great. I like Bunn writting but his take on Magneto came from a darker and hopeless side than Claremont still yes, I believe he did a good job with him and it was obvious he cared for to write him well but when it comes to Lorna. you are absolutely right he didn´t dig into Lorna and instead wrote her in a way that resembled Wanda´s or Betsy interactions with him but If he had done so I am sure he would have added their previous interactions of Genosha, the problem is that Lorna wasn´t a regular on the title until the last issues and there he just wrote her as your regular X-heroine on a mission, not a real digging into who she´s as a person or her perspective. PAD went a little deeper with her and added her origin story but his take was that Lorna should or would not be interested in interacting with Magneto, so another lost opportunity there.

For the Krakoa question now that the House of M is a thing on the island what does that actually mean? Right now it doesn't seem to actually mean much so the bigger question is what should it mean?
    Well it´s strange because Krakoa proposes the idea that they are leaving behind the human world with all it´s goverments and institutions yet they are threating the traditional mutants families almost like noble houses or at least that´s the perception this era is giving me:

We have the House of X: The Xavier family with Charles, Xandra and David and Cain Marko sometimes. The founder of Krakoa, the X-men, the political leader and connection to Moira X and the House of M: those are the main ones because they are the most political and represent the founders of Krakoa as well as the main two phylosophies that have been present on the X-men from the beggining.

Then we have the heroic houses:

Summer Clan: Cyclops and Jean´s family, Ewing made a comment Cable is like royalty for this reason and so far, yes that seems to be the case, not because of an official name but because of his family and his own actions as a member of the X-men.

Braddock Clan: All their links to Otherworld, Captain Britain, Avalon and Jamie Braddock make them very influential family.

Worlverine Clan: the warriors and military opperatives of Krakoa per excelllence.

Rasputin Clan: Both Magik, Colossus and Mikhail represent different strengts and always have been present on the X-mythos.

Gurthie Clan: They are big in number and always have supported the X-men and their links with the Shiar because of Sam gives them a lot of recognition.

Then we have the individual teams or institutiuons on Krakoa:

The X-men.
    The Hellfire Club.
    New Mutants(Akademos habitat).
    X-force.
    X-factor.
    X-corp.
    SWORD.
    Hellions.

So when it comes to this perspective Krakoa is keeping the privilege aspect of human institutions but this seems to be a not official thing more like a no-official recognition by the mutant population because of their parts in helping mutantkind as a whole, I am sure sooner or later Way of X or another title will make a critical comment about this and it would be interesting to see their take.

I personally can see this critical angle another that comes to my mind, if you are a naruto fan, is that Krakoa is like Konoha, a country built to make peace but with it´s shadows and it´s lights, the Quiet Council is like Konoha´s council, the Hokage is Charles while the Shadow Hokage is Erik and the mutant families are the different clans that live there that hold a particular possition in the goverment or develop a particular power, that would be a more fun take on Krakoa and I am not sure this is what Hickman is pointing at but Eye boy use of ninjutsu kind of made me see them this way

But on a more serious note

House of M represents Magneto and Lorna´s family but also the political part Magneto plays on the Quiet Council(of course also his perception as a mutant leader, activist, ruler of Genosha, etc) and I guess this is why Leah wrote him and Lorna like that on the first X-factor issue, because from this perspective Magneto is hoping Lorna to follow in his footsteps or at least take a leadership position on Krakoa or X-factor because she cares about their work and it´s a merit to her uniting the team, so my problem wasn´t this, when he saw that Lorna rejected this idea he invited her to tea in a peace maker attempt, like if you want to find your own way go ahead, I support you Lorna, that was my take at the moment

My problem is the idea Lorna would resent this expectation or that Magneto would feel the need to pressure Lorna into it, like he did on X of Swords or the Hellfire Gala when this type of expectations have usually been talked between them before, even when they were not related. He´s the villain in a story in which she seems to want to be free of any leadership, responsibility or role expected from her and I don´t believe the political Lorna we saw with Crystal or the Warrior Lorna from Genosha would feel the same way this Krakoa Lorna seems to feel, this feels OC from her imo but that´s my perspective, I would like to see your take on this.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 07-16-2021 at 04:17 PM.

My personal favorite take on Magneto´s pathos has mostly been Claremont´s because he really went into his head, experiences and motivations and after him I have Mike Carey and Cullen Bunn takes that are also great. I like Bunn writting but his take on Magneto came from a darker side than Claremont still yes, I believe he did a good job with him and it was obvious he cared for to write him well but when it comes to Lorna. you are absolutely right he didn´t dig into Lorna and instead wrote her in a way that resembled Wanda´s or Betsy interactions with him but If he had done so I am sure he would have added their previous interactions of Genosha, the problem is that Lorna wasn´t a regular on the title until the last issues and there he just wrote her as your regular X-heroine on a mission, not a real digging into how she´s as a person or her perspective. PAD went a little deeper with her and added her origin story but his take was that Lorna should or would not be interested in interacting with Magneto, so another lost opportunity there.

Well it´s strange because Krakoa proposes the idea that they are leaving behind the human world with all it´s goverments and institutions yet they are threating the traditional mutants families almost like noble houses or at least that´s the perception this era is giving me:

We have the House of X, the House of M: the main ones because they are the most political and represent the founders of Krakoa as well as the main two phylosophies that have been present on the X-men.

Then we have the heroic houses:

Summer Clan: Cyclops and Jean´s family, Ewing made a comment Cable is like royalty for this reason and so far, yes that seems to be the case, not because of an official name but because of his family and his own actions as a member of the X-men.

Braddock Clan: All their links to Otherworld, Captain Britain, Avalon and Jamie Braddock make them very influential family.

Worlverine Clan: the warriors and military opperatives of Krakoa per excelllence.

Rasputin Clan: Both Magik, Colossus and Mikhail represent different strengts and always have been present on the X-mythos.

Gurthie Clan: They are big in number and always have supported the X-men and their links with the Shiar because of Sam gives them a lot of recognition.

Then we have the individual teams or institutiuons on Krakoa:

The X-men.
    The Hellfire Club.
    X-force.
    X-factor.
    X-corp.
    SWORD.
    Hellions.

So when it comes to this perspective Krakoa is keeping the privilege aspect of human institutions but this seems to be a not official thing more like a no-official recognition by the mutant population because of their parts in helping mutantkind as a whole, I am sure sooner or later Way of X or another title will make a critical comment about this and it would be interesting to see their take.

I personally see this angle but I also see this critical angle another that comes to my mind is that Krakoa reminds me of Konoha, the Quiet Council is like Konoha´s council, the Hokage is Charles while the Shadow Hokage is Erik and the mutant families are the different clans that live there, that would be a more fun take on Krakoa and I am not sure this is what Hickman is pointing at but Eye boy use of ninjutsu kind of made me relate them this way

But on a more serious note

House of M represents Magneto and Lorna´s family but also the political part Magneto has on the Quiet Council(of course also his perception as a mutant leader, activist, ruler of Genosha, etc) and I guess this is why Leah wrote them like that on the first X-factor issue, because from this perspective Magneto is hoping Lorna to follow in his footsteps or at least take a leadership position on Krakoa or X-factor because she cares about their work and it´s a merit to her uniting the team, so my problem wasn´t this, when he saw that Lorna rejected this idea he invited her to tea in a peace maker attempt, like if you want to find your own way go ahead, I support you Lorna, that was my take at the moment

My problem is the idea Lorna would resent this expectation or that Magneto would feel the need to pressure Lorna into it, like he did on X of Swords or the Hellfire Gala when this type of expectations have usually been talked between them before, even when they were not related. He´s the villain in a story in which she seems to want to be free of any leadership, responsibility or role expected from her and I am don´t believe the political Lorna we saw with Crystal or the Warrior Lorna from Genosha would feel the same waythis Krakoa Lorna seems to feel, this feels OC from her imo but that´s my perspective, I would like to see your take on this.
    The House of M seems like its meant to be a faction or least that is how its come off under Hickman’s pen. In terms of Lorna not wanting a leadership role I believe that comes down to the writers preference of roles. I was ok with that and said so though some fans were clearly not and Magneto became the voice by proxy for speaking against those voices.

I do think Hickman wants to present a Roman Republic like framework with powerful families debating issues and taking sides, but that hasn’t shown through very well other then perhaps with the Frost’s and the Summers family. Without factionalism though any conflict only goes so far.

An additional wrinkle I'd like to add regarding Lorna and Magneto's relationship is that we have literally zero knowledge of what Lorna's life was like growing up with the Danes. We don't even know if Lorna feeling the need to dye her hair before her intro issues was due to something from her foster parents or entirely a choice on Lorna's part. You could practically say they never existed at all for how little we know, given we've never even seen what they look like.

The reason I say this is another wrinkle, is that we don't know what Lorna's foster father was like. Neither does anyone at Marvel. As a result, nobody can say "Oh well we're basing her behavior around Magneto on what her relationship with her foster father was like." It's too late to take that approach. The time to do it was decades ago. Before the retcon on Lorna's parentage was undone in the early to mid 00s. Doing it now would just look like Marvel trying to come up with excuses to justify misrepresenting Lorna and Magneto's relationship after the fact. So for all intents and purposes, Lorna and Magneto's time on Genosha is the foundation for their future interactions regardless of what her relationship with her foster father was like.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)