Page 64 of 105 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I thought of you all, i.e, Polaris fans while reading X-Men: Blue. She has two nice father-daughter moments with Magneto in two of the issues.
    The book started doing better by Lorna and Magneto's dynamics toward the end. Earlier on, it was far too much of defining Lorna as a supporting character for his stories to the point where past experiences and development were completely ignored.

Two points in particular stood out to me in this regard. The first, when a surprise attack happened on their HQ. The script had Lorna acting like she had no idea such a thing could happen, so Magneto could mansplain surprise attacks to her, ignoring the fact she's a survivor of a pretty damn big surprise attack (Genoshan genocide) and wouldn't soon forget it. The second, when the Mojo stuff placed Magneto and Lorna in a recreation of Mutant Massacre. Using Genosha would've been something both Lorna and Magneto could connect with, whereas Mutant Massacre was something only Magneto could. And that setting also put Lorna in the Malice outfit, with Lorna having absolutely no real reaction to it, making it pretty clear it was put in there as a "lol here's a little easter egg for long-time readers" kind of thing with Lorna's perspective not taken into consideration.

As I said, later stuff did better by her with Magneto. Earlier stuff didn't. Though later stuff still had the Havok problem of it all.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

The Lorna and Magneto interaction in Bunn’s run had some ‘feels’ as some would say, but it had the depth of a thimble and was ultimately vacant in its complexity.

This gets down to Lorna’s core issue during that run of not being enough of a complex character herself and major events of her own history that define her as a more complex character being ignored to make her fit the plot rather then have Lorna and Magneto’s histories drive the story.

It’s important to note their interaction wasn’t all bad. It had it moments, but it was certainly lacking in depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Oh yeah, but I still think it's crazy, I could be wrong but I don't understand these issues, Lorna using metal residue in water, solidified or metallized the water? (I've never seen Magneto do something like that)
    Magneto started messing with the trace metals in people’s blood something like three decades ago. Lorna started in the mid to late 90s and post Genosha training showed a quantum leap in ability at least for a few years. Water is just a different type of fluid then blood.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-02-2021 at 12:35 AM.

I love how adamant you all are that Lorna be represented with dignity and respect. It reminds me so much of me and you know who

And this made me cackle. I will be using it:
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    …it had the depth of a thimble…

Gifted PARTE 1 OF 3 Polaris Medical

Note
    1994 Is Emma Dumont Date Birth 1x06 or 1x07;

1988 Polaris Date Birth 1x01
    Last edited by juan678; 08-03-2021 at 01:33 AM.

Last edited by juan678; 08-03-2021 at 01:02 AM.

In polaris Medica Report is Polaris Lorna Dane Date Birth 1X01; In police Report is Emma Dumont Date Birth 1994 1X06 0R 1X07

Last is Polaris in 2014 and 2017
    Last edited by juan678; 08-03-2021 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks for the reminder Juan.

The first season of The Gifted really was strong. It failed to reach excellence because the all around weakness of the Stucker family and some of the slow and overly talky episodes in the middle of the first season. It still had one season of one of the most complex and provocative Polaris written.

The second season was a dumpster fire where they doubled down on concepts that weren’t working and completely ran away from making a provocative Hellfire Club… I mean Inner Circle. LOL. It was a case of writers trying to pander to the new boss and in the process ignoring the things they had going for their show. It also missed out greatly on having Singer’s people help with action and ideas.

Still it was proof of concept that Lorna could be the break out star of a TV show for a season.

Last edited by jmc247; 08-03-2021 at 05:29 AM.

What do you think about the fact that you didn't call a Jewish actress to do Polaris? I really like Emma, ​​​​however..

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It's an absolute non-issue for me. My thinking is...and this goes for all actors playing characters...What does the actress's religion have to do with character's religion?
    Especially as the character's religion/faith does not play an ongoing integral part of her story and the story itself, other than to gave a frame of reference in her comic book origin.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's an absolute non-issue for me. My thinking is...and this goes for all actors playing characters...What does the actress's religion have to do with character's religion?
    Especially as the character's religion/faith does not play an ongoing integral part of her story and the story itself, other than to gave a frame of reference in her comic book origin.
    Polaris has Jewish ancestry because of Magneto, and considering that companies like Hollywood tend to call more whites to play characters from other ethnicities, leaving no room for real people to play the original material, I remember once that Emma Dummont complained that they did not address Lorna Jews in The Gifted.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That's to my point though. In the Gifted, Lorna being being Jewish wasn't an integral plot point. So it's not imperative that the actress playing her be specifically Jewish. And...
    They're actors...that's their job....to assume a different character act out that character's story.
    One can argue that given that she grew up without knowing Magneto was her father...her being Jewish by ancestry is not that important.

Question for the Lorna-files...do we know the faith of her mother/adoptive father? Was she raised Jewish?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Lorna being Jewish has largely been a non-factor to her as a character, especially since she was created in 1968 and wasnt something that was retroactively added to her until 2003ish. Even then, she was adopted and not raised Jewish. It is not as important that they get a Jewish actress to play her then lets say Kitty (and even then I wouldnt say its necessary)

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That's to my point though. In the Gifted, Lorna being being Jewish wasn't an integral plot point. So it's not imperative that the actress playing her be specifically Jewish. And...
    They're actors...that's their job....to assume a different character act out that character's story.
    One can argue that given that she grew up without knowing Magneto was her father...her being Jewish by ancestry is not that important.

Question for the Lorna-files...do we know the faith of her mother/adoptive father? Was she raised Jewish?

In Gifted Continuity
    her mother and husband died in a plane crash when she was a baby, Lorna's only relative was the sister of her mother's husband; her aunt dane hers who knew the truth about magneto and called him from time to time when Lorna was in trouble with the law

Last edited by juan678; 08-04-2021 at 05:25 AM.