Page 79 of 105 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1571

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I have said it in other threads, but sadly, Marvel has not cared about continuity in the long-term nor in the short-term or even with character personality. Sure, the characters grow and mature, encounter new people, places and things and move on in a way, but there is no consistency that would even let a fan know that this is their favorite character.
    Personality changes between writers is fine and even good for what works with the writer as long as the core of the character and what motivates her and drives her is consistent. When what motivates Lorna and her belief system is suddenly completely changed that is a real problem as one is effectively writing another character that looks like her.

Duggan’s urban princess Lorna’s personally has a basis in past writing namely some of her depictions after the genocide of Genosha while being very much it’s own thing.

Russell Dauterman art
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-11-2021 at 07:37 AM.

baumblume

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    That was probably the best written hot headed Lorna yes.

She built herself up to being red hot, but ultimately stayed in control and she made crystal clear where she was coming from in her views if one agrees or disagrees.

If Marvel cared back 10 or 15 years ago you could have had a great settling of accounts between Wanda and Lorna about Decimation, but that was brushed under the rug. Its too late now for such a story, but it was the perfect chance to have a settling of accounts. Lorna in that era cared much more about mutants in general then herself, that would change and she would become an increasingly self interested character, but back then it was about mutants in general not her.

I will also say that UXM 443 was controlled anger, uncontrolled anger was her lashing out at Pietro in X-Factor 260. I wasn't fully sure why she was going off then which was my biggest problem with that issue.
    Poor Pietro his sisters and Dad always Abuse him

Personality changes between writers is fine and even good for what works with the writer as long as the core of the character and what motivates her and drives her is consistent. When what motivates Lorna and her belief system is suddenly completely changed that is a real problem as one is effectively writing another character that looks like her.

Duggan’s urban princess Lorna’s personally has a basis in past writing namely some of her depictions after the genocide of Genosha while being very much it’s own thing.

Russell Dauterman art
    Yes, that is what I am saying. The core of the characters are not kept these days.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

baumblume

not a fan of Lorna white girl starbucks meme.
    original.jpg
    Last edited by baumblume; 09-11-2021 at 08:43 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Russell Dauterman art
    So excited to see the finished version of this. Dauterman kills it per usual.

The excitement Pepe was able to generate with this look for Lorna is so great. Hopefully we'll see the impact of it for awhile. I think this has the makings to be one of Polaris' iconic looks, and its interesting how adding a pair of sunglasses and a coffee cup could be a big part of that lol.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Even with the new coffee and shades additions to her look and attitude, this Lorna feels so familiar.
    This is a Lorna who seems more in control of her surroundings and circumstances rather than being controlled and swayed by her surroundings and circumstances. She takes her time, observes and assesses, and has definite opinions on what's going on. There's a self assuredness and awareness that wasn't always there.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Duggan interview.

The interviewer highly compliments Lorna's personality and Duggan talks about its background and Pepe's influence starting at time 47:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, that is what I am saying. The core of the characters are not kept these days.
    That has been a major bane to Lorna's character over several of her recent runs and it undermined stories that should have been slam dunks. Duggan's X-Men run has been able to come up with a workable persona for Lorna. The longer term success though will be if it successfully standardized her motivational ethos again into something that allows the audience to know where she stands and what motivates her (outside of expresso).
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-11-2021 at 01:06 PM.

Even when you consider that different situations/stresses bring out different aspects of a person's character...It's difficult to maintain a "core" character when multiple writers (each with his/her own story to tell) have been writing the same characters for decades under innumerable different situations. And...especially if you adhere to the dictum that people evolve and change over the course of their lives...how can you expect Lorna in 2021 as written by Duggan to be the same Lorna of 1989 as written by Claremont or PAD's Lorna of 1991?
    Yes there might/should be similarities but overall the "core" would change or more precisely, shift, depending on the writer's intent for the character within the story at that particular time.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

There is nothing wrong with different writers having very different ideas on how defining events motivates a character. One writer for Uncle Ben's death and Spiderman might write its why he fights crime and another might say it made him reluctant to use his powers aggressively. Magneto himself has had major variability with some writers using the Holocaust to explain why he decided to join the X-Men and others why he creates more militant teams.

The problem for characters like Lorna come in where writers don't even agree on what events constitutes her major life changing events.

With Duggan he has said each character will explain why they have joined the team so we should get some illumination for Lorna on his take.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-11-2021 at 02:12 PM.

As an X-Men as a mutant...I would say her entire life has been a series of major life-changing events. Same for all the X-Men, really. It's just a question of what a writer might choose to build off of from her past if he/she decides to do so...which isn't a prerequisite but a prerogative.

Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

For me Lorna is just a great character. Chuck Austen and Peter David last x-factor run being my personal faves. I think Duggans is a nice mixture of the two.

xchaosclean00.jpg
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/