Page 95 of 105 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 1571

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Thanks new Mercury
    You're welcome!

Also, I just popped into to celebrate the Dauterman cover!

Quote Originally Posted by MAR420X View Post
    sorry guys been busy i usually post on my twitter covers

She looks gorgeous!

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    There is much that can be done with the story about how it impacts her I agree. Marvel can still fish for new story ideas to motivate her that they can think about adapting for other mediums while not scrubbing the greatest story arc she had in the comics.

Inconsistent and all around awful motivation is the biggest hole in Lorna's character by far.
    Agreed they need to keep what worked for her before, scratch the mind control issues part and go on giving her new motivations, let her grow as a character and keep the friendships she´s developing in the way.

She looks gorgeous here and I liked her bio
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

BANNED

The good: Dauterman’s art, especially the coffee cup pose.

The bad: Well not necessarily bad on who wrote it, but is that reveling the end of Trial of Magneto in relation to the Axis retcon?

The ugly: Lorna’s stats from her 1992 card were terrible though that was semi understandable why they were given at the time given the crap she was coming out of in the 80s. These stats don’t have that excuse and are actually worse in the energy projection field then '92. If I were to do the stats I would raise intelligence by two and energy projection by two and the rest by one.

Average vs not average.

In terms of Lorna and her power I wouldn't mind down the road a broken powers year or two where she is forced to use a lot of skill and ruthlessness to make up for having very weak powers. The stats in question above are broken powers stats one grade below her old low and two grades below Magneto.

Broken powers don’t work where one can do the crucible or just get healed. We’ve seen healers fix broken powers before.

Link

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Broken powers don’t work where one can do the crucible or just get healed. We’ve seen healers fix broken powers before.
    I was talking down the road beyond this era. Resurrection and the rest won’t last forever. I don’t think a low powered street level Lorna has ever been done well other then in The Gifted season one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed they need to keep what worked for her before, scratch the mind control issues part and go on giving her new motivations, let her grow as a character and keep the friendships she´s developing in the way.
    It’s like a community sand castle one builds upon yes.

Nostalgia at times obscures what works and what doesn’t work.

She looks gorgeous here and I liked her bio
    I liked the bio as well, not the stats. The bio avoided her stance on mutant-human issues which is good until Duggan plays his hand.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-07-2021 at 04:31 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Some more Classic Lorna. 80s and 90's. W/ Havok.

Happy 27th Birthday Emma Dumont!!!

Congratulations and thanks for your continued support for Lorna. There is no more important Polaris fan out there then you.

Leah Williams says in a podcast this week that Emma intervened to apologize to her for some ornery The Gifted fans this year and they talked about Polaris and became friends.

A look back at Emma's amazing performances in Lorna's tour de force The Gifted season 1.

I have nothing to say about the TAS news until they release something Lorna related, but I have no real fondness for that iteration of Lorna from the 90s comics. The TAS version was a very tiny better then most 90s depictions because she had a very minute amount of fire in her belly for mutant activism like JM's 1993 version. But, it’s not an iteration I was a fan of as she was way too inwardly focused a character.

As a whole though I felt TAS was great with the mutant metaphor and I hope the new series is successful.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-15-2021 at 03:11 PM.

If the X-Men continues as it is, I would like Polaris to stay on the team. If the X-Men start to go back to the 90s so that I can have synergy with X-Men 97, I would like to see Lorna leave the island and establish herself in the greater Marvel universe as a character on her own. If the west coast avengers rebranded as a bigger team, I’d like to see her there. If you could put Lorna in a corner of the greater MU and not just with the x books, where would you like to see her go? I agreed with a lot of what you said jmc like seeing Lorna as a diplomat. I’d like her to use her powers and show her protector spirit!

X-Men #8

From the Upcoming thread.

This must be the antagonist that Duggan wrote was really fun to write in upcoming issues. The last issue was good even though it was Jott heavy. I just still wish there was a page or two to get into the rest of the teams head.

We haven't seen a good take on what motivates Lorna the way we just had for Scott and Jean for Lorna in a very long time and the few times we have typically fell back on stupid mind control pathos or her manifesting her powers as a baby not things that influence her worldview or view on mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    If the X-Men continues as it is, I would like Polaris to stay on the team. If the X-Men start to go back to the 90s so that I can have synergy with X-Men 97, I would like to see Lorna leave the island and establish herself in the greater Marvel universe as a character on her own. If the west coast avengers rebranded as a bigger team, I’d like to see her there. If you could put Lorna in a corner of the greater MU and not just with the x books, where would you like to see her go? I agreed with a lot of what you said jmc like seeing Lorna as a diplomat. I’d like her to use her powers and show her protector spirit!
    Her protector spirit, especially fighting for mutants works amazingly well for the character. Lorna also excels when it comes to her political side. Lorna can do generic super hero antics, but much like a select few x-characters including her father its not where the character thrives best.

One tiny positive note I will will leave about TAS was they did use Lorna’s classic costume briefly.

Last edited by jmc247; 11-15-2021 at 06:09 PM.

X-Men #8

From the Upcoming thread.

This must be the antagonist that Duggan wrote was really fun to write in upcoming issues. The last issue was good even though it was Jott heavy. I just still wish there was a page or two to get into the rest of the teams head.

We haven't seen a good take on what motivates Lorna the way we just had for Scott and Jean for Lorna in a very long time and the few times we have typically fell back on stupid mind control pathos or her manifesting her powers as a baby not things that influence her worldview or view on mutants.

Her protector spirit, especially fighting for mutants works amazingly well for the character. Lorna also excels when it comes to her political side. Lorna can do generic super hero antics, but much like a select few x-characters including her father its not where the character thrives best.

One tiny positive note I will will leave about TAS was they did use Lorna’s classic costume briefly.

I bet the Modok issue will be fun! AIM is one of my favorite marvel villain groups, so it will be nice to see a Polaris interact with them.

I completely agree that lorna‘s protecter spirit especially fighting for Mutants is her best direction (and my fav quality of her). I think that could be better shown on a team with non-mutants so we could actually see her take that stance.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    I bet the Modok issue will be fun! AIM is one of my favorite marvel villain groups, so it will be nice to see a Polaris interact with them.

I completely agree that lorna‘s protecter spirit especially fighting for Mutants is her best direction (and my fav quality of her). I think that could be better shown on a team with non-mutants so we could actually see her take that stance.
    Its not a bad idea, but its also not a viable option for a number of reasons the biggest of which is Marvel inter office politics which I don't want to get into on this thread.

Lorna's role as the X-Men's heroic energy manipulator and best friend to Jean could have continued and been cemented if the original 60s X-Men hadn't been canceled. Those hoodwinked to think Lorna can return to the role for any length of time are kidding themselves as Storm owns the role at this point and time. Lorna can only keep her seat warm.

That said Lorna had another 1960s role as the queen of militant mutants and much closer to an anti-villain or antihero. There is a tiny bit of it in Duggan's Lorna, but you have to really look for it. We will see how much of it comes out in a week when she gets pissed off. Love Austen's run or hate it he restored Lorna's mutant activist cred and lethality while she was a member of the X-Men. Last decades failure to tie that into the comic character and her story in the end was the most significant failure of the decade for her.

Lorna's relationship with Jean for instance. Is it advanced by the prospect they were once adversaries and they might not fully see eye to eye on mutant-human relations?

I will let others decide that question for themselves.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-16-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Oh, I didn't know Lorna was in TAS! I wonder what episode? I hope she did more than sleep on the street. Her costume looks great, from what I can see of it. Love the golden headdress.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Oh, I didn't know Lorna was in TAS! I wonder what episode? I hope she did more than sleep on the street. Her costume looks great, from what I can see of it. Love the golden headdress.
    She's part of the Iceman episodes. She's in her X-Factor era costume.

In terms of Lorna's master summary as a character Marvel puts out that merchandisers get and writers get I should say that what it says is pretty apparent based on a look at various merchandise and Marvel summaries. It plays up her as a generic hero whose powers make her mentally ill which sounds like it was created as part of the post Austen attempt to revert her back to the 90s.

Heaven forbid she actually want to protect mutant lives and not agree with Xavier's ideology. Strong writers like Hickman ignore that kind of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    That is a 3 or 4 second flashback of X-Men Lorna. Her regular outfit was early 90s X-Factor as xhx23x said..

The episode Cold Comfort explains TAS Bobby and Lorna were dating and she was injured with the X-Men. They go off to live the simple life (which in the comics as we know Lorna and Havok did). Lorna becomes activist on mutant issues and starts dating Havok behind Bobby's back and fakes her own death/murder to join X-Factor. Lorna's had a 2 or 3 second cameo in another episode, but in the episode she had a couple lines she was pretty much just a character to titillate shippers. Lorna's parentage in X-Men TAS was unreveled. Wanda and Pietro's was reveled though not much done with it.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-16-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    She's part of the Iceman episodes. She's in her X-Factor era costume.
    Thank you so much!

Thank you too for explaining, jmc247!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

In terms of Lorna's master summary as a character Marvel puts out that merchandisers get and writers get I should say that what it says is pretty apparent based on a look at various merchandise and Marvel summaries. It plays up her as a generic hero whose powers make her mentally ill which sounds like it was created as part of the post Austen attempt to revert her back to the 90s.

Heaven forbid she actually want to protect mutant lives and not agree with Xavier's ideology. Strong writers like Hickman ignore that kind of crap.
    Protecting mutants and not agreeing with Xavier’s ideology sums up Lorna but some reason the X books before she won the X-Men vote and joined the team rarely let her do or show that.

idk if I’m in the minority here, but I really liked Lorna in space. The fall of the Shi’ar and war of kings are some of my favorite x stories and arguably some of the best Polaris content. I’d love to see Po become cemented as a Marvel space character as one of the protectors sol on a team. Ideally it would be sword if that team/book had more of that direction. I’d love to see her established in the greater marvel universe the way Magik is in the magic corner or Dust with the champions.