Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Logan: The Wolverine Appreciation 2021

The new home to show some love for the best there is at what he does, even if it's not very nice!

I'm borrowing the rest below from Hush from last years appreciation thread because there is some great info on what to read. Thank you Hush!

Let's start with a recommended reading list of the best stories with the Ol' Canucklehead:

Solo adventures

- Marvel Comics Present Vol.1 #72-84 "Weapon X" by Barry Windsor Smith. The story of how Logan got his famous adamantium skeleton and claws. The Best Wolverine story ever told in my opinion.

- Wolverine Vol.1 #1-4 + Uncanny X-Men Vol.1 #172-173 by Chris Claremont, Frank Miller & Paul Smith. The first Wolverine mini and its followup, the tragic story of Wolverine and Mariko and the start of Wolverine's Japanese adventures.

- Marvel Comics Presents Vol.1 #1-10 + Wolverine Vol.2 #1-30 by Chris Claremont, Peter David, Archie Goodwin, Jo Duffy, John Buscema, John Byrne, Klaus Janson & Bill Sienkiewicz. The start of the Wolverine ongoing with several stories that take place in the lawless island of Madripoor, really enjoyable. Wolverine Vol.2 #10 is a Must-Read!

- Wolverine: The Jungle Adventure by Walter Simonson & Mike Mignola. Wolverine goes to the Savage Land to stop a classic foe of the X-Men from destroying it.

- Wolverine Vol.2 #31-57 by Larry Hama & Marc Silvestri. The most popular run on the character. Issues #34 & #57 are a Must-Read!

- Wolverine Vol.2 #75-90 + X-Men Vol.2 #25 + Cable Vol 1 #16 by Larry Hama, Adam Kubert, Fabian Nicieza, Andy Kubert, Steve Skroce and many more great artists. Wolverine loses his healing factor, his adamantium skeleton and claws, he then goes on a world tour and faces his greatest foes. Really good stuff!

- Wolverine Vol 2 #-1 by Larry Hama & Cary Nord. A great issue set just after Logan was found by James "Mac" Hudson and his wife Heather after his escape from the Weapon X compound.

- Wolverine Vol.2 #119-122 "Not Dead Yet" by Warren Ellis & Leinil Francis Yu. Wolverine faces the greatest hitman that ever lived.

- Wolverine Vol.2 #150-153 "Blood Debt" by Steve Skroce. Logan, Amiko & Yukio Japanese adventures.

- Wolverine Vol.2 #159-176 & #181-185 by Frank Tieri, Sean Chen & Dan Fraga. One of the best modern run on the character and a good starting point for new readers. "The Logan Files" (issues #173-176) is one of the best Wolverine story ever written!

- Wolverine Vol.3 #1-19 by Greg Rucka, Darick Robertson & Leandro Fernandez. A much more grounded run but it's still really good. Issue #6 is a Must-Read if you're a fan of the Wolverine & Nightcrawler's friendship!

- Wolverine Vol.3 #20-32 by Mark Millar, John Romita Jr & Kaare Andrew. The "Enemy of the State" blockbuster storyline that put Wolverine against the heroes and villains of the Marvel Universe, one of the most popular Wolverine story ever!
    The last issue is the famous "Prisoner Number Zero" story, a flashback set during WWII in the Sobibor camp, it's different in tone compared to the previous issues but it's still amazing and a really powerful story.

- Wolverine Vol.3 #56, #62-65, #73-74 (backup stories), Wolverine: Manifest Destiny #1-4, Wolverine: Weapon X Vol.1 #1-16, Wolverine Vol.4 #1-20 & Wolverine Vol.2 #300-304 by Jason Aaron and many great artists. A great modern run by Jason Aaron.

Team books

- Giant Size X-Men Vol.1 #1 by Len Wein & Dave Cockrum. Wolverine meets Professor Xavier and joins the X-Men.

- Uncanny X-Men Vol.1 #133, #205, #213, #251 & #268, Annual #11 + Classic X-Men Vol.1 #10 by Chris Claremont, John Byrne, Barry Windsor Smith, Marc Silvestri, Jim Lee, Alan Davis & John Bolton.
    Almost all the Wolverine-centric issues from Chris Claremont's first X-Men run and they're all amazing.

- Fantastic Four Vol.1 #347-349 by Walter Simonson & Art Adams. Wolverine, Spider-Man, Hulk and Ghost Rider are now the new Fantastic Four!

- X-Men Vol.2 #4-7 by Jim Lee, John Byrne & Scott Lobdell. Wolverine vs. Omega Red and the origins of Team X.

- X-Men Vol. 2 #70-79 by Joe Kelly, Joe Casey, Carlos Pacheco, Germán Garcia, Mat Broome & Jeff Johnson. "Will Marrow, Maggott and Dr. Cecilia Reyes usher in a new golden era for the X-Men? As Cyclops and Phoenix retire from the team, it's left to Wolverine to make sure they do!"

- New X-Men Vol.1 #114-154 + Annual #2001 by Grant Morrison and many great artists. The wildly innovative Grant Morrison X-Men run! Issue #148 is a Must-Read!

- Uncanny X-Force Vol.1 #1-35 + #5.1 + #19.1 by Rick Remender, Jerome Opeña, Phil Noto and many great artists. The Rick Remender's extraordinary, critically acclaimed Uncanny X-Force run. "The Apocalypse Solution" & "The Dark Angel Saga" (issues #1-18) are among the greatest X-Men stories ever told!

- Wolverine and the X-Men Vol.1 #1-42 + Annual #1 by Jason Aaron and many great artists. Welcome to the Jean Grey's School for Gifted Youngsters. Hope you survive the experience! Issues #1-8, #17 & #39-40 are the best ones.

- Amazing X-Men Vol. 2 #1-6 by Jason Aaron, Ed McGuinness & Cameron Stewart. Wolverine and the X-Men are going on a quest to find and bring back the fan-favorite fuzzy blue elf!

- House of X/Powers of X by Jonathan Hickman, Pepe Larraz & R.B Silva. The reinvention of the X-Men by Jonathan Hickman.

- X-Men Vol.5 by Jonathan Hickman, Leinil Francis Yu, R.B Silva & Mahmud Asrar. "The X-Men find themselves in a whole new world of possibility... and things have never been better!"

- X-Force Vol.6 by Benjamin Percy & Joshua Cassara. "X-Force is now the C.I.A of the mutant world. In a perfect world, there would be no need for an X-Force. We’re not there…yet.”

Team-Ups/Versus

- The Incredible Hulk Vol.1 #180-182 by Len Wein & Herb Trimpe. The first appearances of Wolverine and his first fight with the Hulk and the Wendigo.

- Kitty Pryde and Wolverine Vol.1 #1-6 by Chris Claremont & Al Milgrom. The second Wolverine mini, where Logan trains his first sidekick Kitty Pryde a.k.a Shadowcat and faces his master: Lord Ogun.

- The Incredible Hulk Vol.1 #340 by Peter David & Todd McFarlane. The rematch between Wolverine & Hulk!

- Spider-Man versus Wolverine #1 by Christopher Priest & Mark Bright. During the Cold War, Wolverine and Spider-Man go to Germany to save Logan's friend, the spy named Charlemagne, but things don't go as planned resulting in an epic fight between the two most popular Marvel superheroes.

- Wolverine Annual Vol.2 #1996 by Joe Kelly & Tommy Lee Edwards. A beautiful story starring Amiko and Wolverine.

- Wolverine: First Class Vol.1 #1-2 by Fred Van Lente & Andrea Di Vito. A modern retelling of Wolverine & Shadowcat early adventures together.

- Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine Vol.1 #1-6 by Jason Aaron & Adam Kubert. A really fun time travelling adventure with Spider-Man and Wolverine.

- Wolverine and Jubilee Vol.1 #1-4 by Kathryn Immonen & Phil Noto. A really good story starring Wolverine and Jubilee.

- Deadpool Vol.3 #15-19 "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" by Brian Posehn, Gerry Duggan & Declan Shalvey. A powerful story starring Deadpool, Wolverine and Captain America.

Alternate versions

- Weapon X Vol.1 #1-4 by Larry Hama & Adam Kubert. Wolverine & Jean Grey adventures during the Age of Apocalypse.

- Ultimate X-Men Vol.1 #41 by Brian Michael Bendis & David Finch. A powerful story set in the the Ultimate Universe.

- Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk Vol.1 #1-6 by Damon Lindelof & Leinil Francis Yu. The title says it all!

- Wolverine Vol.3 #66-72 + Giant Size Old Man Logan #1 "Old Man Logan" by Mark Millar & Steve McNiven. The all-time classic Old Man Logan story.

- Old Man Logan Vol.1 #1-5, Old Man Logan Vol.2 #1-50, Annual #1 + Dead Man Logan Vol.1 #1-12 by Brian Michael Bendis, Jeff Lemire, Ed Brisson, Andrea Sorrentino and many great artists. The followup to the original Old Man Logan story. "Bordertown" (Old Man Logan Vol.2 #5-7) is a Must-Read!

- Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation Vol.1 #1-4 by Benjamin Percy & Marcio Takara. The comic adaptation of "The Long Night" Podcast, if you enjoy this story try to listen to both "The Long Night" and "The Lost Trail" podcasts, it's a really impressive cinematic audio experience.

Now, some quick links to help old and new readers get read up on the history of The Wolverine!

Wolverine's History

Wolverine Wiki page (abridged version)
    Wolverine Wiki page (complete history)
    Wolverine Spotlight by UXN

Wolverine and X-Men collected editions guides by Krisis

Wolverine Collected Editions Guide
    X-Men Collected Editions Guide

I thought that 2020 was a great year for Logan. One of the best years that he has had recently. His Wolverine solo comic and X-Force are both great comics, in my opinion.
    I cant wait to see where these comics take Logan in 2021!

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I thought that 2020 was a great year for Logan. One of the best years that he has had recently. His Wolverine solo comic and X-Force are both great comics, in my opinion.
    I cant wait to see where these comics take Logan in 2021!
    Agreed, Percy has been an amazing addition to the stable of Logan writers and Cassara and Bogdonovich are great new artists. Kubert is always amazing.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Happy New Year to the Best There is at What He does .

Weapon X is truly a masterpiece.
    Writer/Artist BWS is an auteur of the highest order, and is most deserving of the title:

I still own the hardcover/HC version, which I bought when it was first released.
    No need to get an extra copy (unless a "Special Edition" is announced, of course):

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-01-2021 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Weapon X is a masterpiece in writing and art. Such an amazing story.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

Getting to like him more now that im watching the animated series. he is such a great guy, and so funny !

we can be heroes, just for one day

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    Getting to like him more now that im watching the animated series. he is such a great guy, and so funny !

He had some great one liners.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Crowning Moment of Awesome.
    Still not over this.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Crowning Moment of Awesome.
    Still not over this.
    I'll never be over that scene. So good!

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I'll never be over that scene. So good!
    It’s an absolute masterclass in how to convey character too.
    People have, correctly, pointed out that the issue should be moot, both characters already know what awaits them in the afterlife as there have been stories covering it. But that misses the point; as fearless as he is in this life, Logan still worries about where he’ll end up. And Kurt still has faith that he’s redeemable.

One day, soon, I will draw the cartoon I have in mind, of a small, blue, angel stood outside the gates of hell, asking in Logan can come out to play. And the demon on the gate throwing him out, snarling snd fizzing like the Tasmanian Devil. “Please! Take him. Don’t rush to being him back.”

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    He had some great one liners.
    Let's see: he called someone you egg suckin piece of gutter trash, then the hey tin woodsman, I'm sendin you back to OZ...

...in pieces!

Ultimate Member

Thanks for the help, forgot about that part of the saying, it's been like 20 years ago...or more...about the only cartoon line that's older that I can't forget is Raphael's line in the original TMNT cartoon where they've got somebody tied up to a streetlight and Raph tells the guy to fess up or I'm going to get sarcastic...that was probably from the late 80's to early 90's, man I feel old now...

Interview with Percy re: Wolverine #350...

https://www.gamesradar.com/wolverine...nd-sabretooth/

His future plans sound intriguing. Especially the Dracula and vampires story tying in with the vamps of Sevalith, as well as the June story involving Solem. Nice to see some of the elements of X of Swords continuing to be used and more payoff from that crossover. Which felt a little bloated honestly. At least to me. Even though I enjoyed most of it.

And, of course, his eventual “mother of all Wolverine stories” that he teases at the end, which will see Sabretooth return. That sounds fun too.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 01-05-2021 at 08:14 AM.