Page 253 of 772 FirstFirst ... 153203243249250251252253254255256257263303353753 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,795 of 11576
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    actually she did start as one. giant size had her literally being worshipped as a goddess.

Charles Xavier came behind that and said she wasn't one. she even questions if he manipulated her in that first encounter:

the story from her solo was an actual retcon and it was revealed that original depiction as a goddess was correct by way of black panther.
    Being called a goddess and worshipped as one is different from actually being one.It's like if people worshipped Superman:It doesn't make him a god does it.Or maybe it does.The definition of GOD in the MU is confusing af.Let's leave it at that

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Being called a goddess and worshipped as one is different from actually being one.It's like if people worshipped Superman:It doesn't make him a god does it.Or maybe it does.The definition of GOD in the MU is confusing af.Let's leave it at that
    what makes Santa claus "real" is not that he is actually real but the l lbelief children have in him. that is the part that gives him life. for those villagers, storm was very much a goddess. when they prayed for rain she provided it. why wouldn't they believe her to be a god when her actions showed that she could deliver on the request of her followers?

in the case of storm it's not confusing as it has been explained by way of her heritage the faith those had in her allowed her to ascend to godhood. this is a concept (divinity through faith and prayer) that is even true for asgard.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Extraordinary Member

what makes Santa claus "real" is not that he is actually real but the l lbelief children have in him. that is the part that gives him life. for those villagers, storm was very much a goddess. when they prayed for rain she provided it. why wouldn't they believe her to be a god when her actions showed that she could deliver on the request of her followers?

in the case of storm it's not confusing as it has been explained by way of her heritage the faith those had in her allowed her to ascend to godhood. this is a concept (divinity through faith and prayer) that is even true for asgard.
    Well if that is how Godhood is defined in the MU then she is a god.Other than the part where the villagers knew that she was not a god but that was a retcon right?I am confused lol.She is a goddess now so its all cool

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Well if that is how Godhood is defined in the MU then she is a god.Other than the part where the villagers knew that she was not a god but that was a retcon right?I am confused lol.She is a goddess now so its all cool
    all that matters is she is a goddess now currently and an omega. two things many of her distractors said she was not not that many years ago. its a great time to be a storm fan!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

My simplistic take on the Goddess issue...

In GS-XM 01...the Kenyan natives worshipped her as a Goddess because they saw her doing miraculous weather feats. Storm, like her Tribe, not knowing what a Mutant was at the time also believed herself as such until Xavier showed up and told her the truth, as he knew it then. That she was a Mutant and not a Goddess (how would he have known if she was?)

And Storm believed him. (We all believed him.) And lived her life as Storm-Mutant Mistress of the Elements!, for the greater good of mutants and all mankind. No shame there.

(The subsequent mentions of her being a "Goddess" have always alluded to that time in Kenya before Xavier recruited her...a little tongue-in-cheek most times, self-recriminating some times, to strike fear a few times well...but never uttered with absolute truth and certainty...except for that time in Asgard when Loki was playing the fool.)

Then came the various feats and natural growth and development of her powers and the understanding that there is (has always been) a direct and divine connection to the Bright Lady. Not that she hid it or disregarded it (she always believed in that connection and it was always there...even when she lost her powers)...she just never explored it or felt she needed to tap into it, as her powers were more or less fully realised and sufficient for the tasks at hand.

Until Wakanda and her second showdown with the Adversary.

And now that she's fully tapped into that Divine Power/Connection (the details of which we're all still clue-less...hence the need for in-depth exploration) she can't not own it. It is there. For her to acknowledge and embrace fully. (Personal Head-canonically...why recently she's felt her time on Earth and Krakoa is at a crossroads and she desires something greater, it could be the God-Head speaking to her)

Technically she's still human/Omega mutant but with full access to Divine Powers. She's never gone full "Goddess-Mode" since the Wakanda episode. Even that recent appearance with Thor...it was great but it just seemed like Storm flexing her O-L muscles...because she's quite naturally capable of accomplishing Global-level feats as shown in recent posts.

We really need that Storm limited series to explore and define that deep, open well. Is her far-reaching Omega powers a smaller expression of her Divinity? Or does her new-awakened Divine Connection allow her to supersede her Omega limits. Where does one end and the other begin? Are they actually separate or were they one and the same all along and was just waiting for the right time and conditions to fully manifest?

In summation...
    Was she always a Goddess? No...not in the truest sense of the word. Is she a Goddess now? Yes...when she accesses that aspect and power within her.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Storm has always been what she was. a literal goddess.
    DaveC.& Len w &Chris C, established this.any retcon stating other is just trash and should ignored. Glad Coated did it , But I never needed him to confirm what all of Comicdom already knew. Same way we been knew she was Omega , thanks for officially confirming but we always knew.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkGldBlu View Post
    Storm has always been what she was. a literal goddess.
    DaveC.& Len w &Chris C, established this.any retcon stating other is just trash and should ignored. Glad Coated did it , But I never needed him to confirm what all of Comicdom already knew. Same way we been knew she was Omega , thanks for officially confirming but we always knew.
    Well I for once would like to see her godly nature explicitly explored cause as it stand right now it’s mostly comprised of a bunch of glorified panels with the use of hyperbolic dialogues.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

yea why would a site like cbr be opposed to acknowledging what has been stated across the marvel offices? what would be the point of this?
    Because the concept didn’t really take off, it was lightly established during the adversary fight and it hasn’t been really explored or explained since, the details are nebulous and open to interpretation at best. Storm needs a solo series to really spell it out, I’ll never tire to say it.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Because the concept didn’t really take off, it was lightly established during the adversary fight and it hasn’t been really explored or explained since, the details are nebulous and open to interpretation at best. Storm needs a solo series to really spell it out, I’ll never tire to say it.
    I agree a solo series would be nice. the crazy thing is I've seen her referred to as a goddess and has goddess feats more than I've seen her referenced as a omega level mutant. even in the article where she refers to herself as a god they reference her as omega yet that term was not used to describe her. point being I have not seen any real stories other than the data page about her being omega. it seems to be even less there with her omega status, so that to me doesn't really make sense.

I agree a solo series would be nice. the crazy thing is I've seen her referred to as a goddess and has goddess feats more than I've seen her referenced as a omega level mutant. even in the article where she refers to herself as a god they reference her as omega yet that term was not used to describe her. point being I have not seen any real stories other than the data page about her being omega. it seems to be even less there with her omega status, so that to me doesn't really make sense.
    My impression is that most people just assume she’s not literally claiming godhood but metaphorically referring to her status as super powered individual……. I’m not sure Jordan D W has given any real consideration to Ororo nature beyond her status as omega level mutant, the godly aspect is painted as a colorful way to describe her as very powerful and it kinda feels like that’s just it when it comes to the x-offices. It’s been years and we are still waiting for any significant personal story progress.

My impression is that most people just assume she’s not literally claiming godhood but metaphorically referring to her status as super powered individual……. I’m not sure Jordan D W has given any real consideration to Ororo nature beyond her status as omega level mutant, the godly aspect is painted as a colorful way to describe her as very powerful and it kinda feels like that’s just it when it comes to the x-offices. It’s been years and we are still waiting for any significant personal story progress.
    I guess I would ask are there any other characters where canonical changes have occurred and it for whatever was ignored? When rogue had all her changes in the avengers book she was in were these changes to her character ignored because it was not through the xoffices? JDW, based upon what I've seen on twitter, most certainly hasn't given any thought honestly. One of his last posts I saw about her he mentioned her powers shouldn't work in space and it didn't make sense. Storm fans politely provided receipts showing the opposite and then he disappeared from social. If that doesn't make sense im certain this godhead stuff doesnt either.

Fantastic Member

I guess I would ask are there any other characters where canonical changes have occurred and it for whatever was ignored? When rogue had all her changes in the avengers book she was in were these changes to her character ignored because it was not through the xoffices? JDW, based upon what I've seen on twitter, most certainly hasn't given any thought honestly. One of his last posts I saw about her he mentioned her powers shouldn't work in space and it didn't make sense. Storm fans politely provided receipts showing the opposite and then he disappeared from social. If that doesn't make sense im certain this godhead stuff doesnt either.
    Sorry but who’s JDW?
    I am a woman, a mutant, a thief, an X-Men, a lover, a wife, a Goddess. I am all these things. I am Storm, and for me, there are no such things as limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Idiopop View Post
    Sorry but who’s JDW?
    Jordan D White. the current senior xmen editor. he is the main editor but not sure what his official title is.

sidebar: I've seen this referenced a couple of times and couldn't independently verify it. is anyone aware of storm manipulating light make herself invisible?
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 05-10-2021 at 06:51 PM.

To be honest one thing I will always miss about classic comic book writing is the willingness to pontificate about the stuff shown on panel by using text boxes or expository dialogue, nowadays you are never actually sure about half the stuff featured, is it the product of specific instructions from the writer? Artistic license from the penciler? In the 80’s and 90’s The editors were willing to take a risk and properly establish interesting tidbits about the characters……….. at present on the other hand it is all half cooked waffling…….they can’t take a decision and stand by it.

To be honest one thing I will always miss about classic comic book writing is the willingness to pontificate about the stuff shown on panel by using text boxes or expository dialogue, nowadays you are never actually sure about half the stuff featured, is it the product of specific instructions from the writer? Artistic license from the penciler? In the 80’s and 90’s The editors were willing to take a risk and properly establish interesting tidbits about the characters……….. at present on the other hand it is all half cooked waffling…….they can’t take a decision and stand by it.
    I certainly miss it too. one of the many things I loved about Claremont's writing.