Page 594 of 772 FirstFirst ... 94494544584590591592593594595596597598604644694 ... LastLast
Results 8,896 to 8,910 of 11576
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twisted sun View Post
    No im still in Midgardia. I was in training this week so didn't play like I wanted to plus it took me forever to get past Ulik. I'm fighting the frost giants now.
    oooh ok. hope your training went well.

also good luck for your boss battle fight. it will be though
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I heard it was challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by twisted sun View Post
    Sept 29 I think and yes the pacing of things is VERY slow.
    I'm glad I'm not just following Ororo, because dammit the story is good, but very slow. And the release of issues does not collaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    the power of Google. I need to do better. lol

I'm hoping storm shows out and I wonder when we will see goddess storm. Ewing mentioned she will show up but I'm curious how he will show this.
    It's going to be really dirty if he doesn't deliver on what he promised.. I really hope he does, at least enjoy the versatility of the Storm's powers in a creative way.

None of my friends read the Wakanda issue of Last Annihilation. What actually happened? Nobody I know is talking about it.

I don't know if I would go so far as to call all of Marvel deeply racist, but they have a very poor track record on race. The editor in chief pretending to be Asian, hiring transphobic and anti-Semetic artists, etc. We don't just have to sit and accept it. And Twitter actually does matter at least a little bit; it was enough to get the artist of the upcoming year end story replaced for being an awful person.

The big reason I'm hyper-critical of X-men comics on these boards is because of how badly they handle race and racial metaphors. Taking the imagery and language of actual oppressed groups and centering it around a group of uber wealthy and powerful white people, while the non-white and non-straight characters are stuck in supporting roles. Worse, their minority traits are made subordinate to their identities as mutants, which makes most of them feel like token minority characters at best. X books treat it like a badge of honor to have such a diverse cast, when most of them have about as much characterization as the Burger King Kids Gang.

Storm is unfortunately the best and worst example of this. She's always been SO CLOSE to being a real leading lady, but always ends up pushed aside in favor of the usual suspects. She might lead for a bit, but then Cyclops comes back. Or Wolverine gets another new series. Writers trot her out for a big moment designed for YAS QUEEN memes, then put her back in the box so the real moves and shakers can push the plot. You could literally split everything Emma has done in this relaunch between Storm and Jean and it would only improve things.

I actually thought about starting a counterpart thread to that "what human characters would you like to see become mutants", where I asked which mutants you'd like to see be humans. I would say Storm and Wolverine, because I find them to be at their least interesting when they're stuck doing X-men things.

https://screenrant.com/x-men-team-le...eadership/amp/

Guess who is number 2 after Xavier??? It ain't the one-eyed captain commando either (^_^)

Last edited by butterflykyss; 09-18-2021 at 09:51 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    None of my friends read the Wakanda issue of Last Annihilation. What actually happened? Nobody I know is talking about it.

I don't know if I would go so far as to call all of Marvel deeply racist, but they have a very poor track record on race. The editor in chief pretending to be Asian, hiring transphobic and anti-Semetic artists, etc. We don't just have to sit and accept it. And Twitter actually does matter at least a little bit; it was enough to get the artist of the upcoming year end story replaced for being an awful person.

The big reason I'm hyper-critical of X-men comics on these boards is because of how badly they handle race and racial metaphors. Taking the imagery and language of actual oppressed groups and centering it around a group of uber wealthy and powerful white people, while the non-white and non-straight characters are stuck in supporting roles. Worse, their minority traits are made subordinate to their identities as mutants, which makes most of them feel like token minority characters at best. X books treat it like a badge of honor to have such a diverse cast, when most of them have about as much characterization as the Burger King Kids Gang.

Storm is unfortunately the best and worst example of this. She's always been SO CLOSE to being a real leading lady, but always ends up pushed aside in favor of the usual suspects. She might lead for a bit, but then Cyclops comes back. Or Wolverine gets another new series. Writers trot her out for a big moment designed for YAS QUEEN memes, then put her back in the box so the real moves and shakers can push the plot. You could literally split everything Emma has done in this relaunch between Storm and Jean and it would only improve things.

I actually thought about starting a counterpart thread to that "what human characters would you like to see become mutants", where I asked which mutants you'd like to see be humans. I would say Storm and Wolverine, because I find them to be at their least interesting when they're stuck doing X-men things.
    this post is spot on my friend. I especially connected to the portion in bold. I couldn't agree with you more.

https://www.cbr.com/last-annihilatio...-comic-review/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Thanks appreciate it.

How it ended up.
    You are a god! I love this!!!! This is too hot -- this wins over the values i placed in that marauders (dance with death) cover -- ahahaha keep em coming!!!

BANNED

I know right! Centering straight white mostly male charachters in a story that is a literal metaphor for queer and minority races. Giving straight white people the ability to push the plot is a tone deafness that is impossible to fathom. Like I have been wondering weather the "titles" given to storm were meant to just **** her fans up about her lack of agency in the overall story.

Planet sized xmen was one example of a disappointment it would have been perfect to let storm move the plot. One of her biggest mutant powers is knowing the very essence of a planet what makes it tick. The fact that she didn't take initiative when it came to reviving the dead world but was rather a prop in magneto's plan makes the entire endeavour feel souless. I mean the feats were nice but if I am being honest arakko is a glorified version of asteroid M. It's not like she lost her ability to connect with a planet because in the end she remarks that the planet is alive.

The yasss Queen moments work very well to negate any inkling that they don't really consider her as a major player in their plans rather a major face, a figure head a glorified puppet and of all the mutants of colour it seems the ones in vita's care are unsurprisingly the most fleshed out in this era.

In the end we need more writers of color in that office end of story because of I am being honest I don't think most of them are capable of letting charachters of colour drive the plot. It is what it is.
    Last edited by dirtynun; 09-19-2021 at 03:51 AM.

This thread is turning into a hatred thread for racism, it seems. I am just going to move on to something else. I tended to love this thread, but all those racist comments really turn this thread into such a huge burden and unenjoyable place to be. Good luck with all that racism talk.

Huh? Storm has literally led the team for longer than most characters not named Cyclops, including Jean. I agree that she's been misused and underutilized in recent years (hoping SWORD fixes that) but you lost me turning genuine criticism into "I like this character more than this character, therefore she should be more important." Nobody cares about that kind of critique because every fan (and writer, editor, artist) has their personal preferences. Arguing Storm should've overseen the Hellfire Trading Company or Marauders is as nonsensical as arguing Emma should be Regent of Sol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The92Ghost View Post
    This thread is turning into a hatred thread for racism, it seems. I am just going to move on to something else. I tended to love this thread, but all those racist comments really turn this thread into such a huge burden and unenjoyable place to be. Good luck with all that racism talk.
    So we shouldn't hate racism? Like you do know storm is a black woman right? A black woman in America right? Appreciating someone also comes with acknowledging from whence such person is being faulted, and when the biggest development of storm in nearly 20 years comes from another office by a black man. Asking if the lack of nuanced development of the charachter in the xoffice in nearly two decades is a symptom of racism isn't deviating from the thread but addressing it. And if you find that uncomfortable well then do what suits you.

I feel the same. In the meantime, X-books are the main place to get my fix. I am happy Storm is getting a little bit here and there outside the x-books though

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Huh? Storm has literally led the team for longer than most characters not named Cyclops, including Jean. I agree that she's been misused and underutilized in recent years (hoping SWORD fixes that) but you lost me turning genuine criticism into "I like this character more than this character, therefore she should be more important." Nobody cares about that kind of critique because every fan (and writer, editor, artist) has their personal preferences. Arguing Storm should've overseen the Hellfire Trading Company or Marauders is as nonsensical as arguing Emma should be Regent of Sol.
    Actually arguing anything can be nonsensical if the writing isn't good. If they wanted storm to preside over the trade in the hellfire company the can make it make sense with competent writing same with Emma being queen of Sol. Hell they made kate the red queen and it stuck!
    If they wanted to and I mean really wanted to they can make any charachter become anything and make it stick.
    they made even sabertooth sympathetic at one point! And now people are rooting for mystique to destroy her fellow mutants home so she can get her wife back.

If they have enough of a desire for it they would do it! Stop making excuses for them.

My biggest issue with how Storm's leadership has been portrayed is that it's been so long since she's been able to have a real opinion on the direction that mutants should go in. Magneto and Xavier are allowed to endlessly philosophize about the state of mutantkind, Cyclops has been allowed to wear several hats from militant mutant leader to full revolutionary, and even Jean got to bring her unique perspectives in X-Men: Red.

She's the franchises most visible minority yet she rarely gets to actually have a spotlighted opinion about anything anymore. I'm anxiously awaiting the next SWORD issue, because we still don't know WHY she took on the Regent position and how her own values play into that role.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    Planet sized xmen was one example of a disappointment it would have been perfect to let storm move the plot. One of her biggest mutant powers is knowing the very essence of a planet what makes it tick. The fact that she didn't take initiative when it came to reviving the dead world but was rather a prop in magneto's plan makes the entire endeavour feel souless. I mean the feats were nice but if I am being honest arakko is a glorified version of asteroid M. It's not like she lost her ability to connect with a planet because in the end she remarks that the planet is alive.
    Right! I try to avoid the "my fave should have gotten this moment" territory, but it really could have been Storm narrating and leading that whole expedition. Duggan had just finished writing her in Marauders and it would have tied up nicely with her reason for leaving the team, and since she was about to be the main political figure of the new planet why not give her the full moment.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 09-19-2021 at 08:23 AM.

Exactly. I know some people have liked what they have seen from Storm in the Xmen and and I respect that, but I just don't feel the same. The character has been at a low point for so long. Storm was a non factor in Schism, AvX etc. She's relinquished leadership to Kitty twice, something the X office will never let happen to Scott, and when she finally led the line in IvX it was to highlight her failure. No character can be a boss forever, but Storm has taken too many hits over the decades. It is time for her to return to prominence with some story agency and some wins before they dump on the character again.

The x office still continues to be too lax with the character. When she had her own Xmen Monday a few months ago, there wasn't a substantive answer or insight to be found ANYWHERE in it. When they had an interview discussing who would be RoS, the only thing they offered was that they looked around the room at each other and said it made sense that it would be Storm. Again, they could not share a shred of info about why she was right for the job, so it again comes off as empty pandering to me. I have very little trust that the X office has a vision for the character beyond surface level development. I still think RosS is rife with potential for her but their track record is awful.