Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sdawg View Post
    I think Claremont said it best when he talked about his criticism of the pair. Without a solo book for Storm (or even a joint book) it's hard to put fair balance that is respectful to both characters.

Claremont said. "Does Ororo become a supporting character in T’Challa’s book? Does T’Challa become a supporting character in Ororo’s book? How do you strike a balance between them?

This of course has nothing to do with the shit show that went on related to Storm in the XBooks but it hits back to my original post on why I have issues with the pair. It isn't about the writers.

Actually, it makes me question, has there ever been a marriage between two powerhouse characters of different brands? I mean, when I think of Scott and Jean, or Reed and Susan, they were in the same book. Any other big pair that I can think of already had their own books and solo support. This is the first situation I can think of like this. Am I wrong?
    I actually didn't understand his point. Does it being "hard" means its not doable? Also what realistic expectations should a reader have when reading a book titled "Black Panther" where Storm is included? To expect her to be the star or not be secondary to me is unrealistic. Also, how does Claremont feel Ororo has been treated in the xbooks? The question i asked you previously regarding a storm defining story was to make the point that hypothetical questions regarding her use in black panther isn't necessary because those points apply to how she has always treated in the xbooks. What story has given storm proper balance that was written by the xoffice?

She took a backseat to Cyclops and Logan during Schism, she took a backseat to Logan when he was headmaster of the Jean Grey school, when she was leader she was a wreck over Logan so still took a backseat to him there emotionally, she took a backseat to kitty when she turned over leadership of the xmen to her after IvX, she took a backseat to Jean in Xmen Red where Jean used connections specific to storm in working towards making a mutant nation, and now she still is letting Xavier/Magneto direct her place in the world, while recently getting out of a story where she was taking a backseat to kitty/emma. She's been a perpetual supporting character in xmen often times simply just serving as wallpaper adding nothing to the story. So why is it all of a sudden a bad thing when she is in a relationship to T'Challa that her being a supporting character would persist? Its the status quo if we are using her time with the xmen as a standard.

For me a good writer could make their relationship work. I thought Coates had a healthy balance between the two, she appeared occasionally and she was given nice moments. All in all, I just can't wrap my head around the position they can't work because one would be a support to the other because in the case of ororo that has been her role in the xmen since the early 2000s.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 05-21-2021 at 12:21 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!