Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Nathan Summers: Cable Appreciation 2021

Young or old, respect the X-men's most infamous time traveller

My boy... er, my man. Ha. I don't like the kid version, as everyone knows by now. But I'm glad you started this thread. I'll keep the bitching about WiFi to a minimum. I promise. Especially since the rumor is out there that the OG version is coming back.

2021 is already starting out with promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    My boy... er, my man. Ha. I don't like the kid version, as everyone knows by now. But I'm glad you started this thread. I'll keep the bitching about WiFi to a minimum. I promise. Especially since the rumor is out there that the OG version is coming back.

2021 is already starting out with promise.
    what rumor? Do tell....

Awesome! Can't wait for the return of OG Adult Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    what rumor? Do tell....
    From poster bishop66 in this thread...

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...tions-for-2021

Quote Originally Posted by bishop66 View Post
    some predictions and a few rumblings ive heard but i know we had the pandermic mesed up schedules but 2020 was very disappointing for the x-line x-swords was awful but really not the editors or creators fault more from upper mgmt making it 22 parts

hopefully no more skip months of books that drives us comic store people insane espically after losing 2-3 month for covid 19
    hearing the cable book is ending around issue 12 THe real CAble will be back ive seen art and not just a liefield variant cover real art
    hellions also wrapping up but will be morphing into something else
    probably spurrier on x-corp why he was invited back to the x-world i have no idea he maybe loved by x-fans and people on these boards but his marvel works sells worse than any x-writer there is check the data
    the moira book as of now might be fourth qurarter 2021 but not even locked in yet\
    also hearing there will be something similiar to the 5 giant size x-men issues later this year
    He's been pretty on the money in the past, so I'm giving it a decent probability of being true.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Awesome! Can't wait for the return of OG Adult Cable

Questions on if OG Cable returns:
    1. How would it be i.e. from a specific timeline or through Krakoa's resurrection protocols?
    2. If he ever goes through the RP, would the techno-organic virus be excluded? (It wouldn't make much sense if it isn't)
    3. If he does come back under 1, in theory shouldn't he "be killed" and resurrected without the TO Virus.

Amazing Member

Please bring old man Cable back. I have recently read through a lot of his recent stuff, and he in no way acts like he has been leading men in battle in the future. He's got a few glimpses of Cable - but lets stop playing around and bring him back as a matured badass please!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Questions on if OG Cable returns:
    1. How would it be i.e. from a specific timeline or through Krakoa's resurrection protocols?
    2. If he ever goes through the RP, would the techno-organic virus be excluded? (It wouldn't make much sense if it isn't)
    3. If he does come back under 1, in theory shouldn't he "be killed" and resurrected without the TO Virus.
    1. Could be that he never actually died. Think about it. He knew Kid Cable was coming for him and allowed himself to be killed anyway, as we saw in the current Cable series in issues #3-4. We also know that he already has the ability to clone himself from Spurrier’s X-Force run where he did just that (I think thanks to Dr. Nemesis building the cloning technology for him). So perhaps he sent a clone of himself to die at Kid Cable’s hand, and the real one is still out there? In fact, that could be who we saw at the end of Cable #1 fighting crab demons in some future hellscape. The simpler option, though, is the Resurrection Protocols. Since he knew about Kid Cable, he must’ve also known about Krakoa somehow and thus knew they’d have the ability to bring him back. Specifically his daughter Hope, along with the other four. So he wasn’t afraid to go to his death, knowing they’d bring him back. And would probably bring him back in his physical prime too, since they can do that.

2. It would have to be included — at least in his raw genetic template — as it is part of his cellular structure. Every cell contains the virus, as I believe Beast pointed out in some older issues of the Cable series way back in the 90s. Even Stryfe, his clone, has (or had) the virus (you see traces of it along his back in the Cable: Blood & Metal 2-parter actually). But in Stryfe somehow it’s not nearly as advanced. I’m assuming that since he was taken by Apocalypse as an infant, who first infected baby Nathan with it, that he had some way to slow its spread or possibly even cure him (so maybe what we saw on his back in Blood & Metal were just old scars from the virus). Having said all that... if they do bring Cable back via the RP, would the virus be as advanced in him as it was before? Since they artificially age the body, he’d go from a fetus to an adult in short order, not leaving the virus much time to consume his organic cells and tissue before he’s awakened and has the ability to keep it at bay with his powers. So he might not be half cyborg even if he does still have the T-O virus.

3. It is possible, however, that with all the power at their disposal The Five could somehow cure him of it when they bring him back. After all, Hope cured him of it once before using the power of the Phoenix (at the end of the X-Sanction mini); and Nathan even cured himself of it once on his own (during the Soldier X era of Cable). So we know it’s possible to cure it with enough power. The Five have a lot of power, including the ability to warp reality itself in Proteus. The biggest problem with him not having the virus IMO is that he becomes too powerful to be interesting. I never found X-man particularly interesting for the same reason. So they’d need to establish some other reason for his power levels being reduced. Perhaps because, in the case of X-man and Stryfe (and even Cable himself when he was in “god mode” in the Cable & Deadpool series fighting the Silver Surfer), it’s been shown that their incredible power levels cause cellular degradation (killing them over time) and also madness. So while it would make sense that The Five might bring him back sans T-O virus (especially Hope who cured him before), it might also make sense that they bring him back with less raw psionic power than he had before too. Then he’d still have to rely on his skills, training and weaponry. I think I’d like that actually. Could be cool. Simplifies Cable a bit, in that he’s no longer infected with the virus and thus a cyborg, but doesn’t suddenly make him godlike in terms of his power level either. I was hoping to see that explored after X-Sanction honestly, but then Hopeless went in a weird direction with the skinny arm and cybernetic exoskeletal “sleeve” and whatnot. And reducing his powers to just some limited precognition. Which I frankly did not like. But... making Cable whole via the RP and power of The Five, while at the same time just reducing his TP and TK power levels some? Yeah, I’d be okay with that. Him being a cyborg with a metal left arm isn’t even close to the most interesting thing about the character to me, and they play around with the virus too much as it is. Have seen waaay too many stories over the years where it’s suddenly out of control and killing him. That drama is played out IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by markdienekes View Post
    Please bring old man Cable back. I have recently read through a lot of his recent stuff, and he in no way acts like he has been leading men in battle in the future. He's got a few glimpses of Cable - but lets stop playing around and bring him back as a matured badass please!
    Agreed. 100%. Bring back the adult version. I don’t care how. Hell, if they establish that Kid Cable’s timeline no longer exists and he doesn’t have to go back to the future anymore, I wouldn’t mind if somehow he got trapped in an alternate dimension or a gravity well out in space (in the S.W.O.R.D. book) where time went faster and he just comes back aged up a couple of decades. I just don’t like him as a kid.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 01-05-2021 at 07:23 AM.

Ultimate Member

Almost hope that at some moment of triumph the young version starts to celebrate and is then blown away and when everyone turns around to kill whoever killed him they find the OG Cable standing there with plenty of questions, not happy that Jean and the others just accepted the younger version so easily...

If anyone kills the young version than the OG would theoretically seize to exist

Why wouldnt Jean accept Kid Cable? He is her son. This kid is only a few years removed from when she and Scott were forced to leave him. There is a bond that those two share (and Rachel too) have bc of the family connection. There is nothing wrong with it as it makes sense. Cable would understand

And especially now, when death is effectively meaningless to mutants. Scott and Jean get to enjoy some time with their teenage son, until he goes back, and then the older version can be resurrected. Or return via some other mechanism. Which is hopefully happening around Cable issue #12 as rumored.

With a finish line in sight, albeit just a rumor at this point, I’m not even salty about it anymore.

Ultimate Member

Except he killed his older self and all just shrugged their shoulders and acted like it didn't happen, or most anyway, or they got over it pretty quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Except he killed his older self and all just shrugged their shoulders and acted like it didn't happen, or most anyway, or they got over it pretty quickly...
    Thats not exactly true. Kid Cable disappeared at the end of Extermination and appeared in X-Force where we saw him interact with Cable's old teammates. They gave him hell and did not accept it immediately. The flourished relationships we are seeing now in the Hickman era are happening over 6 months after all of that. We dont know exactly how things were addressed but there was enough time to come to grip with all of it

Yeah. I guess they got over it considering it was the same person, only younger, and now who meets a tragic end at his own hand. However, as I said above, knowing that the kid version has got to go back to the future at some point and they have the capability to resurrect his older self when he does probably goes a long way towards helping them to accept it.

Ultimate Member

Unless they do say that the old version that we all want back and the younger version are not the same guy, that would certainly change everything...