Page 596 of 772 FirstFirst ... 96496546586592593594595596597598599600606646696 ... LastLast
Results 8,926 to 8,940 of 11576

Don't do our boy Phil Jiminez like that lol. Storm is his favorite x character of all time!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I just remember this man disqualifying Storm's space powers, saying it doesn't make sense for her to manipulate the solar winds in space, this person sucks!!
    Not to forget that part of the classic arsenal of super hero comic writing is that when you want to expand a characters powers you either go into the metaphysical (which laws of physic need to be manipulated or bend to create these powers) or metaphorical (what is associated with these kinds of powers) aspects of them.

Look no further than Spiderman's universal wall crawling ability.

And in Storm's case of manipulating space wind, writers are able to come from either direction and it still makes sense within the context of a super hero comic.
    Metaphorical "It's just another form of wind."
    Metaphysical "The powers she controlls to manipulate weather on Earth also exist in space, therefor she can controll solar winds or lightnings there too."

For White to say that her affecting solar winds makes no sense, can make one think that he is not only ignorant of her history and the work of the people who shaped it, but that he is also oblivious to one of the basic tools of super hero comic writing which has existed since the dawn of the genre.

Especialy since the whole genre is a mixture of science-fiction and fantasy. Both works being based on the idea of presenting things that can make no sense in the real world, but just need to make sense in the context of their stories and their fictional worlds.

Personaly i find Storm manipulating solar winds and other "space weather" to be too overpowered and to a degree too contrived, but it has been established for ages and makes sense in context of this fictional universe. So at worst i feel it's something to roll my eyes over, but dismissing it as making no sense, when it's established, explained and expanded over numerous comics sounds like a dumb argument to me.
    Last edited by Grunty; 09-19-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    Don't do our boy Phil Jiminez like that lol. Storm is his favorite x character of all time!
    Lmao, I'm sorry!
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

The Xmen have long moved past any of their powers making sense. Magneto is creating wormholes, Jean is telekinetically cutting away old timelines/universes, Exodus is crafting brains from scratch, Iceman is creating sentient ice golems etc etc. The horse has left the barn.

Astonishing Member

The Xmen have long moved past any of their powers making sense. Magneto is creating wormholes, Jean is telekinetically cutting away old timelines/universes, Exodus is crafting brains from scratch, Iceman is creating sentient ice golems etc etc. The horse has left the barn.
    And compared to those "manipulating solar winds" certainly sounds a lot more reasonable, since that at least involves a metaphorical or metaphysical aspect of what Storm's powers could allready do.

I mean that was with the Phoenix. Cosmic force amps means no logic need apply. She reminds me of Zatanna actually "The laws of reality don't apply to the likes of me"

I'm mega paraphrasing but that was the gist.
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

My favourite Storm costume.
    Attachment 113941
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I’m in love with the classic

I’m very fond of this version

When I look at this piece of art I can almost feel Storm’s power

nice images. I've never seen the first or last one before but I especially like the last one.

on a side note as much as I wanted to like the Astonishing look I just couldn't get into it.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 09-19-2021 at 06:55 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Not to forget that part of the classic arsenal of super hero comic writing is that when you want to expand a characters powers you either go into the metaphysical (which laws of physic need to be manipulated or bend to create these powers) or metaphorical (what is associated with these kinds of powers) aspects of them.

And in Storm's case of manipulating space wind, writers are able to come from either direction and it still makes sense within the context of a super hero comic.
    Metaphysical "The powers she controlls to manipulate weather on Earth also exist in space, therefor she can controll solar winds or lightnings there too."

For White to say that her affecting solar winds makes no sense, can make one think that he is not only ignorant of her history and the work of the people who shaped it, but that he is also oblivious to one of the basic tools of super hero comic writing which has existed since the dawn of the genre.

Especialy since the whole genre is a mixture of science-fiction and fantasy. Both works being based on the idea of presenting things that can make no sense in the real world, but just need to make sense in the context of their stories and their fictional worlds.

Personaly i find Storm manipulating solar winds and other "space weather" to be too overpowered and to a degree too contrived, but it has been established for ages and makes sense in context of this fictional universe. So at worst i feel it's something to roll my eyes over, but dismissing it as making no sense, when it's established, explained and expanded over numerous comics sounds like a dumb argument to me.
    The thing about this though, especially the last part of your post is that Storm controls whatever passes for weather within any given environment so it's not like its completely nonsensical
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post

I want to ask a question how is it contrived for an omega level weather manipulator to control cosmic weather?

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    nice images. I've never seen the first or last one before but I especially like the last one.

on a side note as much as I wanted to like the Astonishing look I just couldn't get into it.
    I always considered it very regal, even though cumbersome at times but a goddess such as Storm should’t have to forego luxury for practicality

Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    So we shouldn't hate racism? Like you do know storm is a black woman right? A black woman in America right? Appreciating someone also comes with acknowledging from whence such person is being faulted, and when the biggest development of storm in nearly 20 years comes from another office by a black man. Asking if the lack of nuanced development of the charachter in the xoffice in nearly two decades is a symptom of racism isn't deviating from the thread but addressing it. And if you find that uncomfortable well then do what suits you.
    I am not going to bother to answer that. Because if I do, I will just be blamed for being racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    My biggest issue with how Storm's leadership has been portrayed is that it's been so long since she's been able to have a real opinion on the direction that mutants should go in. Magneto and Xavier are allowed to endlessly philosophize about the state of mutantkind, Cyclops has been allowed to wear several hats from militant mutant leader to full revolutionary, and even Jean got to bring her unique perspectives in X-Men: Red.

She's the franchises most visible minority yet she rarely gets to actually have a spotlighted opinion about anything anymore. I'm anxiously awaiting the next SWORD issue, because we still don't know WHY she took on the Regent position and how her own values play into that role.

Right! I try to avoid the "my fave should have gotten this moment" territory, but it really could have been Storm narrating and leading that whole expedition. Duggan had just finished writing her in Marauders and it would have tied up nicely with her reason for leaving the team, and since she was about to be the main political figure of the new planet why not give her the full moment.
    Exactly. I know some people have liked what they have seen from Storm in the Xmen and and I respect that, but I just don't feel the same. The character has been at a low point for so long. Storm was a non factor in Schism, AvX etc. She's relinquished leadership to Kitty twice, something the X office will never let happen to Scott, and when she finally led the line in IvX it was to highlight her failure. No character can be a boss forever, but Storm has taken too many hits over the decades. It is time for her to return to prominence with some story agency and some wins before they dump on the character again.

The x office still continues to be too lax with the character. When she had her own Xmen Monday a few months ago, there wasn't a substantive answer or insight to be found ANYWHERE in it. When they had an interview discussing who would be RoS, the only thing they offered was that they looked around the room at each other and said it made sense that it would be Storm. Again, they could not share a shred of info about why she was right for the job, so it again comes off as empty pandering to me. I have very little trust that the X office has a vision for the character beyond surface level development. I still think RosS is rife with potential for her but their track record is awful.
    You've gotta admit that one thing happened as per her wish in the Council. She was sent to save the planet ecosystem and that wasn't done in the X-Men comics either. Yes, she had Thor's help for the planetary feat but still, she made the decision and she followed it.

Honestly, I think that most of the people here are frustrated since we haven't seen much from Storm for the past 2 months. I totally get that I am frustrated myself, but Ewing did say that he is writing a really powerful Storm and I honestly believe him. Let's not judge him before his books come out. He might even surprise us with something enormous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The92Ghost View Post
    I am not going to bother to answer that. Because if I do, I will just be blamed for being racist.
    You don't say

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    You don't say
    Ignored. I honestly don't have time for people who think that everyone that disagrees with them is a racist. Have a nice day.

Scariest Storm ever ……. but I’m excited

Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”