Page 111 of 772 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161211611 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 11576

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    beautifully said!
    Thank you. I believe in Black beauty. I'm a father with a daughter and I've told her from day one that's she's beautiful no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Well My point, exactatiously!
    There are so many real women who are perfectly representational of being the beauty-full lack women we know and love and idolise and emulate...most and above all our mothers...who regardless of how they wear their hair are no less exquisite and exceptional.
    Yet Storm...a fictional, comic-book character, whose characterisation is anything if not solidly rooted in her history and culture, is the hill some are willing to die on?
    Come on.
    Aren't we having a discussion? In a discussion we discuss many things.

If it wasn't important, if it wasn't something that people were interested in then we wouldn't have so many groups demanding representation in movies, TV and yes, comic books.

What may not be important to you might be important to someone else.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Thank you. I believe in Black beauty. I'm a father with a daughter and I've told her from day one that's she's beautiful no matter what.
    Can't the same be said of Storm? With her natural blue eyes and platinum hair?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Did I say that Storm wasn't? All I said was that Storm should be able to do more than just have a perm. She should explore different styles.

I never even said anything about her eyes.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

very important as a black girl growing up in this world she hears that.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Aren't we having a discussion? In a discussion we discuss many things.

If it wasn't important, if it wasn't something that people were interested in then we wouldn't have so many groups demanding representation in movies, TV and yes, comic books.

What may not be important to you might be important to someone else.
    I fully understand the importance of it...and would be more inclined to agree if that train of thought was applied to a Black female character who was written as exemplifying White veneration. Storm, regardless of how she looks, has never been such a character who was portrayed as anything other than a beauty-full, proud, strong, independent, caring Black woman.

Know and understand her written history, before making such assertions and assumptions...that's all I'm saying.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    very important as a black girl growing up in this world she hears that.
    Well I grew up in a family that's about 70 percent female so I learned to appreciate.

Ultimate Member

Yes.

However folks think all that is fake on her. Because they have not seen actual folks who look like that.

DESPITE reality saying that they do exist.

However we forget where we are and who controls what.

James Earl Jones has blue eyes as does Robert Richard. How many times have we seen them on tv or movies with those eyes? How many times have they and others gotten their eyes CGI or contacts put on them?

How many women had to hide their real hair? Christina Applegate had red hair during the last 3 years of Married with Children-she had to hide it. I am sure many black actresses can tell horror stories.

I fully understand the importance of it...and would be more inclined to agree if that train of thought was applied to a Black female character who was written as exemplifying White veneration. Storm, regardless of how she looks, has never been such a character who was portrayed as anything other than a beauty-full, proud, strong, independent, caring Black woman.

Know and understand her written history, before making such assertions and assumptions...that's all I'm saying.
    What assertion am I making? When did i ever say that Storm wasn't a proud woman? I think you're reaching for something that isn't there. I said that Black girls who may decide to read X-Men will come in and see Storm as a role model. How could it possibly hurt to have Storm wear different hairstyles from time to time which is something that Black women do a lot? How is that me saying that Storm is somehow "exemplifying whiteness"? Again, you're saying something that I didn't say.

Did I say that Storm wasn't? All I said was that Storm should be able to do more than just have a perm. She should explore different styles.

I never even said anything about her eyes.
    She has explored different hair styles.
    My point...Storm is a beauty-full Black woman. Always was. Always will be. And not because her eyes and hair are seemingly and erroneously construed to be "more representational" of White women.

Astonishing Member

If Storm were made today she’d have natural hair and I have a creeping suspicion that when she makes her MCU debut they’ll do exactly that, both as a means to highlight her African identity and differentiate her from the mixed-raced women that have played her in the past. She’s a product of her time and for the most part that’s fine as long as writers color her correctly and give her facial features that you’d expect from an unambiguously African woman with partial black American ancestry. It’s not that complicated.

What assertion am I making? When did i ever say that Storm wasn't a proud woman? I think you're reaching for something that isn't there. I said that Black girls who may decide to read X-Men will come in and see Storm as a role model. How could it possibly hurt to have Storm wear different hairstyles from time to time which is something that Black women do a lot? How is that me saying that Storm is somehow "exemplifying whiteness"? Again, you're saying something that I didn't say.
    I'm not saying YOU or anyone else in this thread are making these assertions and assumptions.
    I'm saying, in general terms, such assertions and assumptions are being made, have been made...hence this discusssion.

Storm should and most probably will look as her comic counterpart is. They've never done her justice cinematically so im sure they will do what they must. Storm has silky white hair and feline crystal blue eyes. Period.

And storm never had no perm
    Last edited by Stormultt Divine; 02-26-2021 at 07:05 PM.

She has explored different hair styles.
    My point...Storm is a beauty-full Black woman. Always was. Always will be. And not because her eyes and hair are seemingly and erroneously construed to be "more representational" of White women.
    You're the only person saying "representing white women". If that comment was meant for someone else then I think it should be directed there.

Storm's hairstyles - Perm. Braid. Mohawk.

Bishop's hairstyles - Dreads. Bald. Fade. Twists.

I'm not saying YOU or anyone else in this thread are making these assertions and assumptions.
    I'm saying, in general terms, such assertions and assumptions are being made, have been made...hence this discusssion.
    If not me or anyone else in this thread then who?

I would think that whoever needs to hear your comments would need to be in the thread.