Page 294 of 772 FirstFirst ... 194244284290291292293294295296297298304344394 ... LastLast
Results 4,396 to 4,410 of 11576
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Storm fans, what are her weaknesses?
    same as Jean, magneto, kid omega, etc.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Do we really need Storm to be that overpowered?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Well Mr. Cockrum did say when he created her he intended for her to be the most powerful female character:

https://seanhowe.tumblr.com/post/127...e-her-the-most

“What I had in mind was to make her the most powerful woman in comics, and the most beautiful woman in comics, and I think I’ve succeeded,” Dave Cockrum told the audience at RiverCon ‘75. “
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    No. She was best depowered. Her character flourished. Mary Sues are boring.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KLY360 View Post
    We’re forgetting Storm is a energy manipulator that specializes in weather manipulation. As stated about if Marvel actually went into depth of the energies Storm control she could very well warp “reality”.. Quantum manipulation is a sub power of EM manipulation. EM is a vast power set alone.
    Yh EM IS NO JOKE! I think people downplay it to metal and em spectrum because magneto. But magneto doesn't have EM as part of his omega powerset he just has magnetism. Which can do some things on the em but he doesn't have full on em manipulation. Storm on the other hand does as a pre requisite of her powers she has the Whole thing not just part of it the electrostatic and magnetism both together can do insane things. And that is not the only force she should theoretically be able to control hence why she is extremely versatile.

Mr. Cockrum, God bless him and Goddess keep him, is no longer writing the X-Men and 80 % of those initial intentions, not just for Storm but ALL Marvel characters, have changed over the decades...why are we so beholden to some grandiose plans as if they were immutable Gospel?

Do we really want Storm: Alpha and Omega the One Goddess above ALL?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Don't worry because she never will be. We are talking about the vastness of her powerset. I know that makes some storm fans uncomfortable for their own reasons but as surely as marvel is marvel she would keep throwing wind and lightning.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Pounce View Post
    No. She was best depowered. Her character flourished. Mary Sues are boring.
    Ehhhh, it was when her charachter got a more intense focus. But she can still be that interesting and have her powers develop for the love of Christ! She has been basically doing the same thing since she first appeared but now she just throws lightning 99 percent of the time. Maybe my nature of getting bored with overused things is what makes me want to get her to develop beyond rain, wind lightning. To get both power and charachter development she needs a solo book and since that is not happening anytime soon well we getting lightning lass till ......

BANNED

Mr. Cockrum, God bless him and Goddess keep him, is no longer writing the X-Men and 80 % of those initial intentions, not just for Storm but ALL Marvel characters, have changed over the decades...why are we so beholden to some grandiose plans as if they were immutable Gospel?

Do we really want Storm: Alpha and Omega the One Goddess above ALL?
    The original intention was always there it was what claremont was trying and to some extent developed. I mean pheonix is possibly the single most powerful female charachter in all of marvel and her original conception was based of storms power level.
    I know some of us here are interested in her charachter development only I do enjoy her charachter a lot. But she needs to develop in other aspects as well. And trust me as long as jean or Hope or wanda exist storm won't be the aloha and omega whatever you said. We just want more than lightning lass. Because when you understand the basics of how her powers work the sheer insurmountable potential to them and just how vast their capabilities are and you see her doing the same basic stuff for 40 years it becomes a bit jarring. I can say for a fact that she is as if not a little more powerful than when she first came in the difference is that the current storm has more experience. The reason we don't see this as a problem is that she is already top shelf material but in bobby people were annoyed by how much he was wasting his potential. Unlike the other krakoans it seems storm doesn't want to be resurected after she dies.
    Last edited by dirtynun; 05-29-2021 at 10:37 PM.

And what's so wrong with not being able to grasp the EM field across an entire galaxy in one hand while creating a worm hole to another dimension with the other and simultaneously terraforming all the planets of the solar system, all by herself?

It's arguable that her very best years as a Marvel character, as a woman, as a leader...were when she was depowered. When did being "omnipotent and unbeatable" become the dream-goal?

Based on how Marvel have always treated every single cosmically over powered powered character, Storm becoming Goddess-Phoenix like is not really the direction we should be aiming for.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-29-2021 at 10:38 PM.

BANNED

And what's so wrong with not being able to grasp the EM field across an entire galaxy in one hand while creating a worm hole to another dimension with the other and simultaneously terraforming all the planets of the solar system, all by herself?

It's arguable that her very best years as a Marvel character, as a woman, as a leader...was when she was depowered. When did being "omnipotent and unbeatable" become the dream-goal?
    Ahhh who said they want her to be omnipotent over here, do you understand what it means to be Omnipotent?
    We are talking about her powers the basic mechanics as marvel describes it themselves.
    Attachment 110060

In this it is stated her power perceives the universe as a pnorama of energy and forces which she can control. We exploring the meaning and capabilities of that is part of the discourse the vauge language of comics encourage. Hickman didn't say limitless potential but undefinable because it was ambiguous and would promote discourse. Exploring her abilities and their potential capabilities is not the came as saying we want her to be able to warp reality, or break the universe or become the new one above all. We are simply exploring what is on the paper nothing more nothing less.

Also like I stated the reason many see her depowerd stage as her best is because the went deep into her charachter the dichotomy of who she was then and who she was depowerd. How creative she had to be to handle situations now depowerd she isn't at her best when depowerd or when a leader she is simply still Storm. This wired mentality that she being powerless somehow made her a better charachter with people glorifying that when she stated periodically how much she missed being at one with the elements like her voice in the matter doesn't register to them.
    That period happened so we get to understand who storm truly is what her motivations are and what the limits to her will are and from that we get to see her intimately. Storm is not best as leader neither is she worst for it. She has had high moments and low ones high during gold/blue and Xtreme for example. And low during IvX. She doesn't need to be a leader to be storm even a 76' article stated that she is above it. And that she allows Scott to be the leader because it is how he can grow into who he really is. Now that same development needs to go to other aspects of her, family, powers, ties, romantic partners (yukio)....etc. this development needs to be all round not just leader and badass street fighter aspects.
    Last edited by dirtynun; 05-29-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    Not really matter manipulation is not reality warping. They are different abilities usually mistaken for the other. Matter manipulation can't control at least in theory forces like gravity, space, time, concepts like order, chaos....etc. it's limited to materials or substances. But on the EM from yes she can in THEORY because em is the energy that governs all physical phenomenon chemistry, biology all fundamentally work due to EM and if she has direct control over this fundamental force on an omega level then yh in THEORY it should be possible to transmute matter. But like I said this is likely never to be explored.
    Actually that’s false. Sersi was creating reality while chaos king was destroying it. Universal control is a sub power of high tier matter manipulation which means the user can control all the forces of nature, space-time and more.

There's nothing wrong with delving into different aspects of Storm's power. But things get iffy when a writer develops things to a point that the character becomes broken as hell, making their teammates pointless. This goes for a lot of super powerful characters. But as long as it's done in a reasonable way, I see no problem with playing around with Storm's powers. But I can see making her too overpowered can cause problems down the line. It takes a lot of creativity to strike the right balance.

Also now with Storm going into space, Ewing can potentially go as far as he wants. And besides, once Storm is back down to Earth, her power scale can reset itself.

Incredible Member

While reality warping warps reality.. matter manipulation can also do the same. We must take into account there are different levels and to these abilities.

Domino warping reality doesn’t compare to Wanda for example

We also must understand there are different mechanisms behind the abilities. Reality warping control reality while matter manipulation works with reality itself.

All-New Member

Since frogs and locusts aren't actually part of naturally occurring weather systems...she might have been going a tad overboard there. I suppose, she herself could scoop up all the frogs and locusts with wind and make it "rain" amphibians and insects but that seems a little extreme even for her.
    The other stuff though...tornadoes of fire, the superheated nitrates seem more doable...if she really wanted to be devastating.

Aside from that...I liked that look for her. The cropped halter, sleeves, skirt over pants...they worked for that Storm.

Technically, any extant thing in nature is part of the system. One of the commentators mentioned the difference between manifestation vs. manipulation. Frogs, fish, cats, dogs, locusts have all been documented as "raining" from the sky even to this day. The phenomenon is physically possible provided the raw materials exist in the system (case in point "sandstorms"). It would be a stretch for Ororo to rain down locusts and the like on Mars, but not so far stretched on Earth. Hope that makes this argument clear.