Page 551 of 772 FirstFirst ... 51451501541547548549550551552553554555561601651 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,265 of 11576
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Sorry Space Queen Storm, you aren't the best Storm anymore. Demon Days Storm wins forever for me now.

She and Thor are siblings and they're adorable.

I'm usually ok with alt versions of storm but she has been whitewashed enough in 616. cute and adorable agreed but ill pass.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I don't think she's being whitewashed in Demon Days. Her skin color still seems to be black, just in the same watercolor tones that the entire series is in. Everything in Demon Days is just reflavored into Japanese ascetic and gods and the like. Like Venom is some kind of god of darkness and I think the Hulk is an oni. There's actually a whole group of gods for thunder and lightning in Shinto, though I usually see them with drums and wearing tiger skins.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Last edited by Devaishwarya; 09-01-2021 at 06:38 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I don't think she's being whitewashed in Demon Days. Her skin color still seems to be black, just in the same watercolor tones that the entire series is in. Everything in Demon Days is just reflavored into Japanese ascetic and gods and the like. Like Venom is some kind of god of darkness and I think the Hulk is an oni. There's actually a whole group of gods for thunder and lightning in Shinto, though I usually see them with drums and wearing tiger skins.
    so whitewashing isn't limited to just her skin. there is a whitewashing of culture, of religion, etc., that are just as important to me. who are her parents in this story? is this being told from a nordic perspective or an African one?
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 09-01-2021 at 06:23 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

That's fair. thinking on it further I'm not really equipped say if something like this is or isn't. In my head I was just focused on her skin color.

In-story basically everything in Marvel is reflavored into Japanese myths. Like I said, Hulk is an oni, Nightcrawler is a yokai, that kind of thing. Storm and Thor I believe are Raijin, Japanese gods of lightning and storms. I don't think they have parents per say, and rather just sprang into the ether from nature like most gods. But I need to double check to be sure.

Its such a fantastical retelling of Marvel that issues like that really didn't occur to me.

Edit: the two were just introduced in the end of the latest issue today, so their whole deal isn't clear yet.
    Last edited by pkingdom; 09-01-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post

you edited your post before I could respond to you directly but as I mentioned it being whitewashed goes further than the idea her skin being "darker" than thor's (her "brother").

That's fair. thinking on it further I'm not really equipped say if something like this is or isn't. In my head I was just focused on her skin color.

In-story basically everything in Marvel is reflavored into Japanese myths. Like I said, Hulk is an oni, Nightcrawler is a yokai, that kind of thing. Storm and Thor I believe are Raijin, Japanese gods of lightning and storms. I don't think they have parents per say, and rather just sprang into the ether from nature like most gods. But I need to double check to be sure.

Its such a fantastical retelling of Marvel that issues like that really didn't occur to me.

Edit: the two were just introduced in the end of the latest issue today, so their whole deal isn't clear yet.
    thank you for that acknowledgment my friend.

also although its still not my thing based on your description it makes more sense.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 09-01-2021 at 07:29 PM.

BANNED

Is Thor her blood brother or her adopted brother unless we know this I don't think we can say she is being whitewashed in this story yet. But they being paired makes sense as there are two separate deities for lightning and thunder in Japanese culture.

In theory any time storm creates a storm that is not happening at the moment she is generating a storm where one doesn't exist which is different from manipulating a storm as it exists. Also weather phenom from the fundamental forces allow here to generate different weather as it doesn't naturally exist but also manipulate weather as it does. jmo
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    outside of the climate thing in planet size has storm ever created an atmosphere?
    Yes, but only w/ the elements that exist. I think her powers should definitely allow her to, and she did when she created a sphere of hydrogen around the Silver Surfer in FF. She should be able to do the same w/ all of the gases that make up an atmosphere (i.e. oxygen, nitogren, argon, etc), in addtion to her control over temperatures, pressure and EM allowing her to combine and manipulate them to create a life sustaining atmosphere.

However, if we are looking at can she create the building blocks for an atmosphere (create hydrogen or nitrogen atoms) I am not sure. IÂ’m inclined to say no she couldnÂ’t/shouldnÂ’t be able to.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    so whitewashing isn't limited to just her skin. there is a whitewashing of culture, of religion, etc., that are just as important to me. who are her parents in this story? is this being told from a nordic perspective or an African one?
    it's an alternate version of Storm from medieval Japan so her origins aren't going to be the same as anybody's original stories aren't. I wouldn't call this whitewashing though as the theme of the stories involves Japanese culture.

I like how the Japanese themes are incorporated. Manga and other Asian comics are definitely not as popular in the USA due to xenophobia. So an actual Japanese artist using popular marvel characters could open people eyes for more Asian culture.

Also, come to think of it. Mars's atmosphere was very weak before Storm came. She worked with the magnetic field, gases, and more boosting it to livable levels.

Here's the part we've all been waiting for. For that atmosphere to stay in the place she would have to have control over the gravity holding it down. Magnetic/Electromagnetic fields are in no way related to gravity. Both are two different forces of the universe. So her control over EM/Magnetic fields does not help the atmosphere in place. This means when she created a much more powerful atmosphere on Mars, she also had to manipulate the gravity making it stronger to keep the atmosphere from escaping into space. Storm's gravity abilities have really been minor to like tidal waves and air motions. The planet size issue really proved that Storm has the potential to be a very powerful gravity manipulator like she is with EM energy.

So far Storm has shown control over three out of four fundamental forces of the universe. Gravity, EM, and Weak Force.

Gravity for keeping an atmosphere of a planet together. EM, we already know her power for that. Weak force for radiation, solar radiation, and disintegration. Also is the reason the sun provides Earth with energy. Storm has used the full power of the sun before.

Storm could be for strong force if there are any moments where she can rearrange the atomic structure of materials, split or reform atoms,

Now I think Storm manipulated the power of the stars in the galactic core maybe proves she has nuclear manipulation which basically weak and strong forces together.

So Storm using the fundamental forces of our universe is true.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    In theory any time storm creates a storm that is not happening at the moment she is generating a storm where one doesn't exist which is different from manipulating a storm as it exists. Also weather phenom from the fundamental forces allow here to generate different weather as it doesn't naturally exist but also manipulate weather as it does. jmo
    Yes, yes, yes and thank you! It needed to be said

Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    Yes, but only w/ the elements that exist. I think her powers should definitely allow her to, and she did when she created a sphere of hydrogen around the Silver Surfer in FF. She should be able to do the same w/ all of the gases that make up an atmosphere (i.e. oxygen, nitogren, argon, etc), in addtion to her control over temperatures, pressure and EM allowing her to combine and manipulate them to create a life sustaining atmosphere.

However, if we are looking at can she create the building blocks for an atmosphere (create hydrogen or nitrogen atoms) I am not sure. IÂ’m inclined to say no she couldnÂ’t/shouldnÂ’t be able to.
    Technically, she created an atmospheric bubble around the Silver Surfer...probably not breathable...but still impressive.
    Attachment 113317
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Generation has different meanings such as create or conjure

She can conjure a storm by manipulating the weather patterns but she can't create a storm out of nothing like Thor. She can create a storm with the materials around her. It all depends on how people use the term.

Quote Originally Posted by KLY360 View Post
    Generation has different meanings such as create or conjure

She can conjure a storm by manipulating the weather patterns but she can't create a storm out of nothing like Thor. She can create a storm with the materials around her. It all depends on how people use the term.
    .....but now we know thor was actually doing very little and the mother storm was just farting stuff out of his hammer like a trained chimpanzee 'till she got fed up with it.
    Last edited by Daedra; 09-02-2021 at 03:39 AM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post

There is no place natural elements dont exist. Every place has its own enviorment and energies that make it up otherwise nothing is there.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/