Page 58 of 772 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158558 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    check out those scans I posted about the gods of wakanda
    I did, and even after reading it i still don't know her, them. I guess apparently they were old gods but they could be anything or anybody. ^>>>>^
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I did, and even after reading it i still don't know her, them. I guess apparently they were old gods but they could be anything or anybody. ^>>>>^

lol ok I gotcha
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    They are actual African Gods and Goddesses of the Yoruba people...of Nigeria and the tribes of other West African Countries

I don't know what Coates was doing with those Orisha Wakandan "Gods" all the way across East Africa in Kenya...which, by the way, venerate their own set of Gods and Goddesses.

The Wakanda Goddess Bast is not Orisha.

Just as Coates' historical revision of the Wakandan Gods was trash...that "Orisha" article is trash. You are correct...According to Coates they are/can be anybody.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 02-03-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

God of Wakanda: Orishas

Known Members: Toth, Kokou, Mujaji, Ptah, Nyami, and BAST

616 Canon trumps personal biases, real-world definitions and/or head-canon in the 616 universe.

source: The Marvel Book

Last edited by butterflykyss; 02-03-2021 at 03:06 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I don't like how Coates appropriated the Yoruba orishas for Wakanda either. He could have been creative and made something unique for them, or simply expanded on the Nilotic/Kemetic themes already associated with Bast. Wakanda being a pan-African grab bag instead of it's own civilization is lazy.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I don't like how Coates appropriated the Yoruba orishas for Wakanda either. He could have been creative and made something unique for them, or simply expanded on the Nilotic/Kemetic themes already associated with Bast. Wakanda being a pan-African grab bag instead of it's own civilization is lazy.
    I actually didn't like how it was explained that men became gods. However, personal preferences aside canon is canon. He was the first writer since BP debuted who attempted to flesh out the Wakandan pantheon.

so there are whispers Anna diop was cast as Storm and was on the set of the thor film. I'm haven't been able to confirm if this information is true or not but fans I've seen who have heard this news seem to be happy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    so there are whispers Anna diop was cast as Storm and was on the set of the thor film. I'm haven't been able to confirm if this information is true or not but fans I've seen who have heard this news seem to be happy about it.
    If true then good on her. Especially after how she was treated when fans found out that she was cast as Starfire.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    If true then good on her. Especially after how she was treated when fans found out that she was cast as Starfire.
    I haven't seen a source yet so take that with a grain of salt. that said it is unfortunate that she experienced that and apparently still is experiencing it from the tweets I just saw today.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Orisha Gods: Oya, Obatala, Eshu, Shango, Ogun..to name a few.
    If he was as Black-centric as he purports to be...he would have known that appropriating actual Orishas Gods to call them by names that are absolutely not Orisha is just wrong and a somewhat disrespectful. That was a very poor artistic choice and wholly unnecessary as Bast the leading Goddess of Wakanda is closer associated with the Egyptian Pantheon
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

^I agree completely.

everyone knows the history but what does that have to do with 616 canon?

What if Coates said Yahweh, Mohammed or Jesus were actually Wakandan gods who were regular humans elevated to godhood by Wakandans and that they've actually abandoned their worshipers to go to a slave empire on another galaxy? Many people don't even know about Yoruba orishas and this comic is their first exposure to them. It's lazy at best, blasphemous at worst.

What if Coates said Yahweh, Mohammed or Jesus were actually Wakandan gods who were regular humans elevated to godhood by Wakandans and that they've actually abandoned their worshipers to go to a slave empire on another galaxy? Many people don't even know about Yoruba orishas and this comic is their first exposure to them. It's lazy at best, blasphemous at worst.
    well your example is akin to what marvel has done to asgardian religion which is a religion that is also still practiced today. Marvel's interpretation of asgard and its religion does align to the real-world aspects of it. attempting to expect these comics to align in such a way is an exercise in futility.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-04-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Asgard is loosely appropriated as well, true, but they still follow the established mythology in the broad strokes, and overall, for decades and decades, there's a certain level of reverence for them, and they have a strong standing in the canon. Coates dumped Yoruba mythology on the table, took a few words, and threw the rest in the trash.

Asgard is loosely appropriated as well, true, but they still follow the established mythology in the broad strokes, and overall, for decades and decades, there's a certain level of reverence for them, and they have a strong standing in the canon. Coates dumped Yoruba mythology on the table, took a few words, and threw the rest in the trash.
    How do you know that he is referring to the Yoruba mythology though? That has west African origins whereas wakanda is a mythology based in east africa. perhaps he used the same name for the wakandan gods but there is no indication that he meant that to be the Yoruba version.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-04-2021 at 04:16 PM.