Page 59 of 772 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159559 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    How do you know that he is referring to the Yoruba mythology though? That has west African origins whereas wakanda is a mythology based in east africa. perhaps he used the same name for the wakandan gods but there is no indication that he meant that to be the Yoruba version.
    "Orisha" is a Yoruba word/term/concept/name of their religion. He couldn't have gotten it from anywhere else.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    What if Coates said Yahweh, Mohammed or Jesus were actually Wakandan gods who were regular humans elevated to godhood by Wakandans and that they've actually abandoned their worshipers to go to a slave empire on another galaxy? Many people don't even know about Yoruba orishas and this comic is their first exposure to them. It's lazy at best, blasphemous at worst.
    Exactatiously.
    Thank the Gods his exit is at hand and we and Wakanda will be shod of his iniquities.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 02-03-2021 at 05:14 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

"Orisha" is a Yoruba word/term/concept/name of their religion. He couldn't have gotten it from anywhere else.
    but that is my point. Bast is an Egyptian god but based on the logic I've seen presented it wouldnt make sense for this god to be used by Wakandans. It appears even in the context of Bast and beyond this in the context of the Orishas, elements of wakandan lore have influences from real world African culture but isn't meant to reflect necessarily how it its depicted in the real world. again to expect this or to do so would be an exercise in futility.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-04-2021 at 04:16 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    but that is my point. Bast is an Egyptian god but based on the logic I've seen presented it wouldnt make sense for this god to be used by Wakandans. It appears even in the context of Bast and beyond this in the context of the Orishas, elements of wakandan lore has influences from African culture seen in the real world but it isn't meant to reflect necessarily how it its depicted in the real world. again to expect this or to do so would be an exercise in futility.
    Wakanda is usually depicted as being on or near Nam Lolwe/Lake Victoria, the source of the Nile, and where the ancient Egyptians say they came from(the Mountain of the Moon), so Bast's association, established by Priest in the latest 90's/2000 [and later Hickman], before that it was simply the 'Panther god', makes reasonable sense, historically and geographically. Yoruban Orisha is from three thousand of miles away, and is a far younger culture. Even if we stretch back to their earliest origins, we're talking barely 3000 years old(it's not really until 1100 CE that we have solid evidence of them linguistically and archeologically). Bast is at least 5,000 years old(Old Kingdom Kmt). Wakanda is at least 10,000 [if not 1 million] years old. Why would the far older culture use words from the far younger culture on the other side of the continent? It's like making Chinese characters worship Japanese kami. BP writers should craft a unique mythos for Wakanda, or double down on the Kmtic angle, not pull concepts from the Yoruba.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 02-03-2021 at 05:53 PM.

Wakanda is usually depicted as being on or near Nam Lolwe/Lake Victoria, the source of the Nile, and where the ancient Egyptians say they came from(the Mountain of the Moon), so Bast's association, established by Priest in the latest 90's/2000 [and later Hickman], before that it was simply the 'Panther god', makes reasonable sense, historically and geographically. Yoruban Orisha is from thousands of miles away, and is a far younger culture. Even if we stretch back to their earliest origins, we're talking barely 3000 years old(it's not really until 1100 CE that we have solid evidence of them linguistically and archeologically). Bast is at least 5,000 years old(Old Kingdom Kmt). Wakanda is at least 10,000 [if not 1 million] years old. Why would the far older culture use words from the far younger culture on the other side of the continent? It's like making Chinese characters worship Japanese kami. BP writers should craft a unique mythos for Wakanda, or double down on the Kmtic angle, not pull concepts from the Yoruba.
    The term orisha literally translates to god or deities. As such, one cannot conclude because he used Orisha he intended them to be yoruba in origin by default.

also, your historical account may be accurate but I hardly believe such detail was considered when considering what God Wakandan should worship. I think it would make more sense to go the Kemetic route but real world conditions don't hsve to equate to those told within comics.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 02-03-2021 at 05:53 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Wakanda is usually depicted as being on or near Nam Lolwe/Lake Victoria, the source of the Nile, and where the ancient Egyptians say they came from(the Mountain of the Moon), so Bast's association, established by Priest in the latest 90's/2000 [and later Hickman], before that it was simply the 'Panther god', makes reasonable sense, historically and geographically. Yoruban Orisha is from thousands of miles away, and is a far younger culture. Even if we stretch back to their earliest origins, we're talking barely 3000 years old(it's not really until 1100 CE that we have solid evidence of them linguistically and archeologically). Bast is at least 5,000 years old(Old Kingdom Kmt). Wakanda is at least 10,000 [if not 1 million] years old. Why would the far older culture use words from the far younger culture on the other side of the continent? It's like making Chinese characters worship Japanese kami. BP writers should craft a unique mythos for Wakanda, or double down on the Kmtic angle, not pull concepts from the Yoruba.
    If you haven't caught on to the fact that Wakanda is basically mismatch of different African cultures idk what to tell you

I don't like how Coates appropriated the Yoruba orishas for Wakanda either. He could have been creative and made something unique for them, or simply expanded on the Nilotic/Kemetic themes already associated with Bast. Wakanda being a pan-African grab bag instead of it's own civilization is lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    If you haven't caught on to the fact that Wakanda is basically mismatch of different African cultures idk what to tell you
    I noticed; it's lazy.

I noticed; it's lazy.
    technically speaking the gods would be unique based upon Coates description and to be fair we still dont really know much about them beyond their names.

So waking up from my day drinking nap what i have gathered is coates literally took a word that means god, slapped it in his book, and never offered any detail. thats the equivilant of me knowing to draw strom beautiful because her name means beauty. lol. i just LOVE all the wealth of info people here have, it makes me go on countless google searches and i'm better for it. Too bad coates was being paid to just add vague words and descriptions like he was being deep. But then something lately has been standing out like his titles "Nation under our feet." He doesn't seem to like black excellence. Like why tchalla got to be stepping on his nation.
    Last edited by jwatson; 02-03-2021 at 06:11 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I will say I would have preferred him digging more into the aspects of the orishas than the space arc. I also was hoping we would get a storm solo where it would explore her divinity. neither appears to be happening.

I would like to see the same 'handwaving" if a writer were to bring together Gaia, Shangti, Aningan, Krishna, Nabu and decide to call them Asgardians. Because...artistic license and "mismatch".
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 02-03-2021 at 06:28 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I would like to see the same 'handwaving" if a writer were to bring together Gaia, Shangti, Aningan, Krishna, Nabu and decide to call them Asgardians. Because...artistic license and "mismatch".

LOL. Naomi understands.
    They won't tolerate diluting and mismatching the Greek/Roman Pantheon or the Norse Pantheon but my Black ass must be okies when some "woke person of intellect" decides to disregard and misuse and misrepresent a true and relevant African religion?

No.

its a fake religion about a fake nation. if the idea of the religious aspects of wakanda constitutes a misrepresentation then surely the entire concept of wakanda, should be a bigger misrepresentation and misuse of real African culture.

in other news, this month we finally get to see what coates has in store for ororo!!!!
    #hadariyao
    #goddesstings