Page 733 of 772 FirstFirst ... 233633683723729730731732733734735736737743 ... LastLast
Results 10,981 to 10,995 of 11576

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    I don't believe it is but I don't know where it's from. Plus that narration is horrible! Can we not have her own powers killing her please!?
    Don't tell me, very ridiculous, but used to seeing writers nerf their powers...

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    That is from X-Men: The End. Basically Claremont's 'ending' for the team, published in mini series (18 issues) from 2004–2006. It's fair to call it an 'alternate future' in essentially 15/20 years or so, but it definitely spins out of X-Treme X-Men and other plots from that era[including Morrison stuff]. I wouldn't consider it '616' canon, though. Not Claremont's best work, but it had some interesting ideas. I didn't love his Storm loosing her bodily control from over exerting her nervous system [with her powers], but he had recently played with that idea in X-Treme when Viper cut her spinal cord in that Khan story, so I get where he was coming from. He had many of the X-Men die, and introduced many of their children. GeNeXt(2008) featured some of them, so it's kinda a sequel, even if some details are changed in between.
    I don't know why it doesn't surprise me to know that it was Claremont who wrote this moment, although it's from another universe, it's kind of disappointing coming from him, like when he made Thor beat Storm with a kiss, but anyway, it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by metalclouds View Post
    Yes that was a truly disgusting read. Since when does using her powers start to destroy her nervous system. So dumb smh
    Yea! I think this limitation because of the nervous system is more conducive to characters like Magneto, Polaris... But not Storm, who should have immunity to their powers, but I think it was a move to put their feet on the ground, setting limits / weaknesses to not be the most powerful of the team, it has always been like that .. I hope it changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I can understand a writer not "understanding" a particular character especially one he/she genuinely has/had no interest in.
    As an X-Writer and an XM-fan yes he knows her powerset and her place in the X-Men but...for a lot of readers old and new, and writers, old and new, she really isn't the central focus and main interest as she is for the few of us here and elsewhere.

We will see how Gillen has become more familiar with Storm in IXM...if she is an integral part of his story and premise.
    I'm having the same thoughts as you, on this I really hope you're right, Storm wasn't meant to be in the second or third place, not now, with her new status, or being a story tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    That reveal was established in X-Men Unlimited #1 (1993)

hmm rotten, now i know why they hate this writer, he really didn't understand Storm's powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    That reveal was established in X-Men Unlimited #1 (1993)

This explanation by Lobdell is contrary to decades of canon. Claremont did imply Storm might have physical consequences to using her powers, that they might wane with age(going back to that Belasco/Limbo story), which he also implied was an issue for Magneto as well, but Lobdell's temperature shift nonsense never made sense(does she become -50,000 oF every time she uses lightning?).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I didn't see anything in those scans that said her powers and using them affect her nervous system but then based upon the user posting it i most certainly wasn't expecting that claim to be factual.

Nevertheless, one of the reasons Lobdell was a HORRIBLE Storm writer and he was responsible for the eventually decline in the character's development experienced during the 90s xbooks.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 12-14-2021 at 12:27 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

While Lobdell might have gone a bit extreme with that explanation and story (She was at the centre of the Super Blizzard in Claremont and Davis' UXM/Savage Land story without any ill effects)...it is essentially true that that's how Storm's body (automatically) compensates for the changes in atmospheric temperature and temperatures created unnaturally (by Iceman, eg). There is a panel where she explains as much to someone, stating..."I stay cool in Summer and deliciously warm in Winter" (grossly paraphrasing, here)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

This was in color but my computer crashed at the same time my brain did.

Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I didn't see anything in those scans that said her powers and using them affect her nervous system but then based upon the user posting it i most certainly wasn't expecting that claim to be factual.

Nevertheless, one of the reasons Lobdell was a HORRIBLE Storm writer and he was responsible for the eventually decline in the character's development experienced during the 90s xbooks.
    Which was odd as he started off with a really good story with Storm, Gambit and Yukio fighting the Phalanx.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Claremont explained that she was immune anything else is not accurate:

ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Yea! I think this limitation because of the nervous system is more conducive to characters like Magneto, Polaris... But not Storm, who should have immunity to their powers, but I think it was a move to put their feet on the ground, setting limits / weaknesses to not be the most powerful of the team, it has always been like that .. I hope it changes.
    Well it did change didn't it when Storm told Magneto that he's no longer the most powerful in the room

Lobdell was just playing at bad semantics. Of course she'll get wet in the rain and bruised if she allowed a hail stone to connect.
    But extreme heat and cold, air pressure, friction, etc...phenomena that would incapacitate and even kill her fellow X-Men and regular humans...her body naturally compensates for those.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

I guess this is the weirdest thing for me, Storm has been the focal point of the most iconic X-men runs, sure in the last 2 decades that has changed. But it's not like many writers actually bother to reference those stories in any meaningful way, nor does this stop them from utilizing literally everyone else, at some point it stops being not understanding, and becomes simply not caring which brings up a slew of other questions. Besides, maybe I'm wrong but I've never heard a writer stress so casually how they don't "understand" any of the other prominent X-men.
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 12-14-2021 at 06:12 PM.

Just because they don't express it doesn't mean they don't think it or feel it.

At least Gillen was open and self aware enough to admit it at the time.

And like ALL fans, I'm sure if asked...every comic book writer has at least one character they don't care for and don't "understand"

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Just because they don't express it doesn't mean they don't think it or feel it.

At least Gillen was open and self aware enough to admit it at the time.

And like ALL fans, I'm sure if asked...every comic book writer has at least one character they don't care for and don't "understand"
    True. Hell I would be hard pressed to write something good about Wind Dancer and Onyx. I was not a fan of the new kids...Hellion was the only one I liked.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Which was odd as he started off with a really good story with Storm, Gambit and Yukio fighting the Phalanx.
    That’s true. That story was quite good.i think he also handled her fairly well in Cable/X-Force when they fought Strfye’s team. But yeah, he’s on the list of writers I hope Storm never has to fall under again. Gillen too. Part of me wants to be open but I mostly feel like his take on Storm would continue to be a meek, regressed back to her 70’s frame of thinking, and tactically incompetent in the upcoming IXM. Hope to be proven wrong but keeping expectations low. If anything I’d be interested in more Storm/Magneto interaction. Like a meaningful conversation or mission that shows how they could compliment each other, especially sharing the same passion for Krakoa’s success and future.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    That’s true. That story was quite good.i think he also handled her fairly well in Cable/X-Force when they fought Strfye’s team. But yeah, he’s on the list of writers I hope Storm never has to fall under again. Gillen too. Part of me wants to be open but I mostly feel like his take on Storm would continue to be a meek, regressed back to her 70’s frame of thinking, and tactically incompetent in the upcoming IXM. Hope to be proven wrong but keeping expectations low. If anything I’d be interested in more Storm/Magneto interaction. Like a meaningful conversation or mission that shows how they could compliment each other, especially sharing the same passion for Krakoa’s success and future.
    I've always thought Storm and Magneto had that similar regal, royal vibe about them... they're also always the best dressed in the room and their powers relate in many ways. I guess that's why they're my absolute favorites...