Page 71 of 109 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1630
    Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    He is speculating about disconnected instances that don't actually confirm that Strange was a practicing doctor/sorcerer for decades before we saw him in his own stories. I understand the allure of wanting to make Strange seem even more mysterious and timeless than he already is. I just feel that what we've been given to work with is already enough proof that Strange is a man who is living out of time. Strange was born in 1930. That makes him nearly 100 years old already per comics canon. He conquered death and is essentially ageless and deathless. Short of being forcibly murdered, Strange will remain as we see him now possibly for centuries. It's one of the reasons why Clea - who is herself very likely thousands of years old - is such a good life/love partner for him. Now that Strange was taken out of the Marvel Magical Universe and made an Avenger, it seems that Marvel has been largely ignoring the timeless aspect of Strange's nature. The movies updated his origin to contemporary times. I think most fans are now more familiar with MCU Strange and Avengers Strange than they are with classic Strange so subjecting him to the same sort of contemporary sliding time scale doesn't seem odd to these newer fans. I find it disappointing because I always enjoyed the fact that Strange was already essentially a man out of time and out of step with all of the rest of the MU back when he was in his own book. Modernizing his origin story and shaving off all of the truly timeless, weird aspects of his history reduces the character from someone who was unique in the MU to just another powered up dude in a costume, so far as I'm concerned.

Based on the movies & his appearances in comic books recently, sadly, I wouldn't have guessed his timeless feature. Now I see why he's so special among Marvel characters (& now I understand your previous comments about Stephen). I will keep in mind this uniqueness while reading his stories.

So, in terms of recommendations, I see you've already picked up Doctor Strange: The Oath, and a Strange Tales collection. That's a very good start because you'll get to read a modern take on Strange and some of the earliest stories with terrific Steve Ditko art. I like 'The Oath' quite a lot. I hope you like it. Randomly skipping around through all of Strange's various series, you might also want to find issues of Marvel Premier 4-14, which features the death of the Ancient One and Strange officially being designated as Sorcerer Supreme, also Shuma-Gorath, Baron Mordo, and a time travelling sorcerer who may just destroy the entire universe in his quest for power. These stories are written by Steve Englehart and drawn by Frank Brunner. If you like horror-styled stories, Strange battled Dracula in Doctor Strange 58-62. He also took up the study of black magic in a series of stories written by Peter Gillis in Strange Tales v. 2 in a series of stories that runs from #8-16/17. It's an interesting, dark story that I mention mainly because Shuma-Gorath seems to be turning up a lot lately. If you want more contemporary stories to check out, I liked the Donny Cates run from 2015-2018. These have all been collected so you could find graphic novels if you can't get the individual issues. So far as graphic novels go, I recommend Triumph and Torment, which teams up Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom. That's a great story by Roger Stern and Mike Mignola. Into Shamballa by J.M. DeMatteis and Dan Green is a gorgeous graphic novel. The writing style isn't to everyone's taste, but the artwork is amazing. What is it that Disturbs You, Stephen? by P. Craig Russell is another really beautiful graphic novel. That's just a start.
    Thank you for your recommendations!
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Based on the movies & his appearances in comic books recently, sadly, I wouldn't have guessed his timeless feature. Now I see why he's so special among Marvel characters (& now I understand your previous comments about Stephen). I will keep in mind this uniqueness while reading his stories.

Thank you for your recommendations!
    I hope you like some of these recommended stories. There are decades worth of stories to choose from. You could look up his first encounters with cosmic entities like Eternity or the Living Tribunal, or beings such as Nightmare, D'Sapre or Mephisto to find other good stories.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    I see, so Stephen is 'timeless'.

To be honest, I haven't read anything so far, but I'm gonna read these two stories/arcs bc I've managed to buy them: Doctor Strange: The Oath; Strange Tales 130-146. - I already know I'm really gonna enjoy the heck out of them bc the art is amazing.

Actually you can recommend anything, I'm dying for some good stories and stellar art!
    So, in terms of recommendations, I see you've already picked up Doctor Strange: The Oath, and a Strange Tales collection. That's a very good start because you'll get to read a modern take on Strange and some of the earliest stories with terrific Steve Ditko art. I like 'The Oath' quite a lot. I hope you like it. Randomly skipping around through all of Strange's various series, you might also want to find issues of Marvel Premier 4-14, which features the death of the Ancient One and Strange officially being designated as Sorcerer Supreme, also Shuma-Gorath, Baron Mordo, and a time travelling sorcerer who may just destroy the entire universe in his quest for power. These stories are written by Steve Englehart and drawn by Frank Brunner. If you like horror-styled stories, Strange battled Dracula in Doctor Strange 58-62. He also took up the study of black magic in a series of stories written by Peter Gillis in Strange Tales v. 2 in a series of stories that runs from #8-16/17. It's an interesting, dark story that I mention mainly because Shuma-Gorath seems to be turning up a lot lately. If you want more contemporary stories to check out, I liked the Donny Cates run from 2015-2018. These have all been collected so you could find graphic novels if you can't get the individual issues. So far as graphic novels go, I recommend Triumph and Torment, which teams up Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom. That's a great story by Roger Stern and Mike Mignola. Into Shamballa by J.M. DeMatteis and Dan Green is a gorgeous graphic novel. The writing style isn't to everyone's taste, but the artwork is amazing. What is it that Disturbs You, Stephen? by P. Craig Russell is another really beautiful graphic novel. That's just a start.
    I second the recommendation on Triumph and Torment, Into Shamballa, What is it that Disturbs You, Stephen? Also the Englehart and Frank Brunner run.

Here's a survey Brian Cronin took a while back:

Greatest Dr. Strange Stories Ever Told
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I second the recommendation on Triumph and Torment, Into Shamballa, What is it that Disturbs You, Stephen? Also the Englehart and Frank Brunner run.

Brian Cronin's list is terrific. I'm glad to see he listed the Silver Dagger stories, the Eternity Saga, and definitely the totally fabulous Doctor Strange #55, in which Strange is nearly done in by the demon D'Spayre. Good stories!

As an aside, it seems to me that the MCU seems to have given Silver Dagger's 'destroy all Sorcerers' mission to Mordo.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Brian Cronin's list is terrific. I'm glad to see he listed the Silver Dagger stories, the Eternity Saga, and definitely the totally fabulous Doctor Strange #55, in which Strange is nearly done in by the demon D'Spayre. Good stories!

As an aside, it seems to me that the MCU seems to have given Silver Dagger's 'destroy all Sorcerers' mission to Mordo.
    Thanks for your replies! I'm figuring out which Marvel characters I'm interested in & I didn't know how to approach Doctor Strange. Your answers will probably help me to better grasp his personality & stories.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Dormammu is currently on the rampage over in the Guardians of the Galaxy and SWORD books. From what I've seen, no one has even mentioned Doctor Strange. Does anyone know if the writers intend to use Strange in these stories at all? Fighting Dormammu is his job, after all. He monitors for this sort of event. Strange is the defender of the entire dimension, not just the planet earth. Under normal circumstances, I'd expect Clea to show up to aid in the fight against Dormammu but she is so rarely mentioned outside of Doctor Strange's own titles that I would be astonished if she showed up at all. Umar would likely just laugh and watch from the sidelines so she'd be of no help at all, even though she hates her brother. Is this 'Last Annihilation' event taking place while Strange is supposedly dead?
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Dormammu is currently on the rampage over in the Guardians of the Galaxy and SWORD books. From what I've seen, no one has even mentioned Doctor Strange. Does anyone know if the writers intend to use Strange in these stories at all? Fighting Dormammu is his job, after all. He monitors for this sort of event. Strange is the defender of the entire dimension, not just the planet earth. Under normal circumstances, I'd expect Clea to show up to aid in the fight against Dormammu but she is so rarely mentioned outside of Doctor Strange's own titles that I would be astonished if she showed up at all. Umar would likely just laugh and watch from the sidelines so she'd be of no help at all, even though she hates her brother. Is this 'Last Annihilation' event taking place while Strange is supposedly dead?
    It's sort of covered in SWORD #7: Strange isn't involved because he doesn't know about it. The Kree/Skrull emperor sent a message to Earth asking for help but spoilers:
    Abigail Brand of S.W.O.R.D. blocked the request, so that she could come in and rescue him
    end of spoilers

As for why Stephen doesn't know about it anyway... it may have something to do with HOW Dormy got into our dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    It's sort of covered in SWORD #7: Strange isn't involved because he doesn't know about it. The Kree/Skrull emperor sent a message to Earth asking for help but spoilers:
    Abigail Brand of S.W.O.R.D. blocked the request, so that she could come in and rescue him
    end of spoilers

As for why Stephen doesn't know about it anyway... it may have something to do with HOW Dormy got into our dimension.
    How did Dormammu get into our dimension?
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

How did Dormammu get into our dimension?
    Short form:

spoilers:
    He possessed Ego the Living Planet, somehow turning him into an egg and "hatching" into our dimension.
    end of spoilers

Short form:

spoilers:
    He possessed Ego the Living Planet, somehow turning him into an egg and "hatching" into our dimension.
    end of spoilers
    That rascal.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Short form:

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    LOL! That's a new way to get past Doctor Strange.

Though it should only be a matter of time. Dormammu always seeks out Strange to take out his greatest threat.

It WOULD be awesome to see Clea again. Ewing is great with continuity. Perhaps he'll surprise us.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

LOL! That's a new way to get past Doctor Strange.

Though it should only be a matter of time. Dormammu always seeks out Strange to take out his greatest threat.

It WOULD be awesome to see Clea again. Ewing is great with continuity. Perhaps he'll surprise us.
    Maybe Doc.... with Clea...would need a few more heroes.....a group of DEFENDERS.... to beat back Dormammu?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Maybe Doc.... with Clea...would need a few more heroes.....a group of DEFENDERS.... to beat back Dormammu?
    Right idea, right writer:

Wrong event.

Been reading Dr. Strange (1974 run)
    issues 51-55:

Lol Dormammu's human form looks funny.

Clea is doubting whether she actually loves Stephen or not. :/

Damn why why Clea!
    Don't break up with Stephen.
    I can't believe it smh. :'(

Hey Rama-Tut AKA Kang is in this issue....dope.

Wait he can't even go through a portal to the dark dimension.
    His state of mind is in terrible condition, poor Stephen. Why Clea why? :'(

So that's it? He's over his grief? No love for Clea anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Been reading Dr. Strange (1974 run)
    issues 51-55:

Lol Dormammu's human form looks funny.

Clea is doubting whether she actually loves Stephen or not. :/

Damn why why Clea!
    Don't break up with Stephen.
    I can't believe it smh. :'(

Hey Rama-Tut AKA Kang is in this issue....dope.

Wait he can't even go through a portal to the dark dimension.
    His state of mind is in terrible condition, poor Stephen. Why Clea why? :'(

So that's it? He's over his grief? No love for Clea anymore?
    These two crazy lovesick kids...Clea leaves, heartbroken, because she thinks Morgana loves Strange more than Clea herself does. Strange comes completely unglued by grief and nearly does himself in thanks to the demon D'Spayre. Will these two dimension-crossed lovers survive all this drama and get back together? Stay tuned.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.