Page 97 of 109 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1630
  1. #1441
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    So, do y'all think Stephen's gonna restore Peter's secret identity in No Way Home? I really REALLY hope SONY doesn't go that route. Restoring a superhero's secret identity using some lame-ass magical deus ex machina sounds so pathetic to me. And did you hear about the rumors of Loki, Mobius and Sylvie appearing in MoM? I actually LIKE that idea. I don't think Marvel Studios has done a great job explaining time travel and multiverses to general audiences despite what seems like HOURS of exposition dumps in Endgame and Loki. I think Disney will TRY AGAIN to explain these science fiction concepts in Strange 2. Hopefully in a more palatable way for "casuals", newcomers and kids. I think test screenings for the MoM proved to Marvel Studio execs that audiences were not on board with how they dealt with time travelling/multiverses (hence the delays) I actually think I have a firmer grasp on the rules of the multiverse now, but I believe Marvel should simplify things EVEN FURTHER. I was so confused in Loki when the TVA stated they could reset timelines if folks showed up late for work, but allowed Sylvie to live for so long in hers (there were deadlines to how long the reset charges would be effective according to the rules spelled out in the Loki series). I was also confused when Loki stated that Lokis "lose", but they don't "die." But at the beginning of the show, it was shown that one of his motivations to try to be "good" was seeing another version of himself being killed by Thanos in that other timeline (in Infinity War). I'm not trying to nitpick, but I admit a lot of the times I was flat out lost when I watched Endgame and Loki.
    Do. Not. Care.

    Don't care for Spider-Man in the comics, and haven't seen any of the movies since Toby Maguire.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  2. #1442
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,975

    Default

    Posted this in the Namor thread, for obvious reasons, since Gargantos is a very rare Namor foe from Lemuria, with connections to Set / Naga. There was rumor of the creature showing up previously, because an actor had been cast -- I'm assuming a voice actor, now. I'm somewhat stunned at this choice, since it clearly resembles Shuma Gorath. Other than being MUCH lower level than Shuma Gorath, I'm wondering why they went with this? Was it Gargantos, instead of Shuma Gorath we saw in the What If episodes?




    https://twitter.com/dailyDSITMOM/sta...190011393?s=20

    https://www.distractify.com/p/gargantos-doctor-strange
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  3. #1443
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Do. Not. Care.

    Don't care for Spider-Man in the comics, and haven't seen any of the movies since Toby Maguire.
    No kidding! I thought for sure Strange fans would be THRILLED that he was taking part in what will likely be one of the most popular comic book movies of all-time. Spidey is still the most popular Marvel character from what I understand (maybe the biggest name in superhero comics in general)? So I believed MOST Stephen fans would have at least a passing interest in how he deals with Parker's secret identity issues. To be fair, I LIKED Spider-Man in the past more than I do now. And that's largely because the Amazing Spider-Man flicks were AWFUL. I'm also surprised by the Gargantos thing. I've read that it's a SEA MONSTER. What does Strange have to do with the oceans? Maybe I haven't read his comics enough. Perhaps Gargantos is just Benjamin Franklin in octopus form.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 12-02-2021 at 01:15 PM.

  4. #1444
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    No kidding! I thought for sure Strange fans would be THRILLED that he was taking part in what will likely be one of the most popular comic book movies of all-time. Spidey is still the most popular Marvel character from what I understand (maybe the biggest name in superhero comics in general)? So I believed MOST Stephen fans would have at least a passing interest in how he deals with Parker's secret identity issues. To be fair, I LIKED Spider-Man in the past more than I do now. And that's largely because the Amazing Spider-Man flicks were AWFUL. I'm also surprised by the Gargantos thing. I've read that it's a SEA MONSTER. What does Strange have to do with the oceans? Maybe I haven't read his comics enough. Perhaps Gargantos is just Benjamin Franklin in octopus form.
    You asked about Spider-Man's secret identity. Again, I don't care.

    I'm interested in Strange, if it is Strange in the movie, but he's clearly there to advance Spider-Man's story, and I'm more worried that Strange will be jobbed or OOC to support Spider-Man.

    Spider-Man IS popular, probably the most popular Marvel character, but I still don't care for him. If popularity mattered to me, I wouldn't be a Namor fan.

    The oceans hide all sorts of monsters and mystic matters. The oldest magic is underwater, as both Atlantis and Lemuria are underwater. Cthulu and Dagon are aquatic and there's an underwater R'llyeh, which has ancient writings on the walls by the Great Old Ones, and which some believe the Darkhold, the Necronomicon, and other mystic scrolls and books were in fact imperfect copies of. Gargantos is connected to the elder god Set, who Strange definitely needs to keep tabs on.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-02-2021 at 04:40 PM.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  5. #1445
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    You asked about Spider-Man's secret identity. Again, I don't care.

    I'm interested in Strange, if it is Strange's in the movie, but he's clearly there to advance Spider-Man's story, and I'm more worried that Strange will be jobbed or OOC to support Spider-Man.

    Spider-Man IS popular, probably the most popular Marvel character, but I still don't care for him. If popularity mattered to me, I wouldn't be a Namor fan.

    The oceans hide all sorts of monsters and mystic matters. The oldest magic is underwater, as both Atlantis and Lemuria are underwater. Cthulu and Dagoth are aquatic and there's an underwater R'llyeh, which has ancient writings on the walls by the Great Old Ones, and which some believe the Darkhold, the Necronomicon, and other mystic scrolls and books were in fact imperfect copies of. Gargantos is connected to the elder god Set, who Strange definitely needs to keep tabs on.
    I always thought Namor was pretty popular. He's certainly one of the OLDEST Marvel characters. Not as popular as Aquaman but maybe it's because he doesn't "talk to fish?" I feel the influence of Stark and Parker has already changed Strange from the comics in regards to his live-action portrayal. The three of them were trading quips like nobody's business in Infinity War. I don't remember Strange being THAT sarcastic in the comic books. I personally like the personality alterations. If Strange has a prominent role in Spidey's movie, I have no objections. It should be fun. I think he's replacing Stark as Parker's "mentor" in the MCU. But I do think it would be an extremely lame use of Stephen's powers to use magic to restore Peter's secret identity.

    About the underwater stuff, I was shocked to read what you wrote. I had no idea magic in the Marvel Universe has so much to do with WATER!!! I just can't picture that at all. The MoM being an aquatic horror movie would be absolutely wild. Thanks for the info dude!
    Last edited by Albert1981; 12-02-2021 at 02:15 PM.

  6. #1446
    Dark Dimension Clea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    You asked about Spider-Man's secret identity. Again, I don't care.

    I'm interested in Strange, if it is Strange's in the movie, but he's clearly there to advance Spider-Man's story, and I'm more worried that Strange will be jobbed or OOC to support Spider-Man.

    Spider-Man IS popular, probably the most popular Marvel character, but I still don't care for him. If popularity mattered to me, I wouldn't be a Namor fan.

    The oceans hide all sorts of monsters and mystic matters. The oldest magic is underwater, as both Atlantis and Lemuria are underwater. Cthulu and Dagoth are aquatic and there's an underwater R'llyeh, which has ancient writings on the walls by the Great Old Ones, and which some believe the Darkhold, the Necronomicon, and other mystic scrolls and books were in fact imperfect copies of. Gargantos is connected to the elder god Set, who Strange definitely needs to keep tabs on.
    I'm with you about Spiderman's identity in the movies. I already don't much care what's going to happen in the next Doctor Strange film since it's been turned into a multiverse event story. I 100% don't care what happens to Peter Parker's identity in the film(s). I like Peter Parker well enough as a character but I don't follow the character at all in the comics or the films. As for Gargantos...I don't know why they chose to feature this particular being, unless it's meant to be a teaser for a future Namor appearance of some kind. Marvel never does anything like this randomly. Everything is always a tease for a future product.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

  7. #1447

    Default

    Gargantos didn't even look like that in comics. I get they change things for movies, but why make him look more like Shuma-Gorath?
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

  8. #1448
    Dark Dimension Clea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Gargantos didn't even look like that in comics. I get they change things for movies, but why make him look more like Shuma-Gorath?
    Hard to say. Perhaps they started mocking up toys and merch with Shuma-Gorath (for Scott Derickson's axed sequel???) but then decided to go with Gargantos as a tie-in to a future Namor appearance, and kept the general appearance so they didn't have to go redraw all their toy tie-in designs. Everybody loves a good tentacle monster!
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

  9. #1449
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,935

    Default

    It's weird to me that Doctor Strange and Loki are so involved in multiversal/time travel adventures. They are magic users, not scientists. I definitely have concerns about Doctor Strange 2. I thought it was a DANGEROUS precedent when Marvel Studios brought back a clearly dead Ancient One in Episode 4 of What if. It was EXPLICITLY stated in Doctor Strange 1 by the Ancient One herself that she could NOT see past her own death. And yet, in What If she ABSOLUTELY had information that she should NEVER have had access to. It's not a HUGE deal in the bigger scheme of things, but it shows the risk of doing time travel/multiversal stories in the MCU. Things can EASILY get out of hand as time goes on and it's already hurting Doctor Strange:

    https://screenrant.com/what-if-docto...-broken-death/

  10. #1450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    It's weird to me that Doctor Strange and Loki are so involved in multiversal/time travel adventures. They are magic users, not scientists. I definitely have concerns about Doctor Strange 2. I thought it was a DANGEROUS precedent when Marvel Studios brought back a clearly dead Ancient One in Episode 4 of What if. It was EXPLICITLY stated in Doctor Strange 1 by the Ancient One herself that she could NOT see past her own death. And yet, in What If she ABSOLUTELY had information that she should NEVER have had access to. It's not a HUGE deal in the bigger scheme of things, but it shows the risk of doing time travel/multiversal stories in the MCU. Things can EASILY get out of hand as time goes on and it's already hurting Doctor Strange:

    https://screenrant.com/what-if-docto...-broken-death/
    Time travel is not something only science characters are capable of doing.

    What if is alt earth. What happens there is not impacted by the main universe and vice versa.

    Multiverse can become messy. I hope they keep it more organized than people are rumoring it to be.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

  11. #1451
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I always thought Namor was pretty popular. He's certainly one of the OLDEST Marvel characters. Not as popular as Aquaman but maybe it's because he doesn't "talk to fish?" I feel the influence of Stark and Parker has already changed Strange from the comics in regards to his live-action portrayal. The three of them were trading quips like nobody's business in Infinity War. I don't remember Strange being THAT sarcastic in the comic books. I personally like the personality alterations. If Strange has a prominent role in Spidey's movie, I have no objections. It should be fun. I think he's replacing Stark as Parker's "mentor" in the MCU. But I do think it would be an extremely lame use of Stephen's powers to use magic to restore Peter's secret identity.

    About the underwater stuff, I was shocked to read what you wrote. I had no idea magic in the Marvel Universe has so much to do with WATER!!! I just can't picture that at all. The MoM being an aquatic horror movie would be absolutely wild. Thanks for the info dude!
    I seriously doubt it will be an aquatic movie.

    I'm not sure why you find that shocking. Most of what I mentioned is in pulp and fantasy fiction, like Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard, that got pulled into the MU and assimilated. Water is life, both symbolically and literally. In folklore and religion and myths and magic, water has supernatural properties, and is a universal element. Have you never stood near an ocean? Or even a large lake? They are overwhelming the unknown ... and outside of "normal" experience.

    That's the history of the MU. That's part of Atlantean magic and mostly shows up in Namor stories or in Conan and Kull stories. That doesn't mean it gets used all the time by writers. Modern comic writers tend to ignore the 75% of the world covered in water. Strange has a had few underwater magical adventures, but it isn't common. But there's definitely references to both underwater Atlantis and Lemuria and pre-Catacylsm Atlantis and Lemuria.

    I didn't say OOC from the comics. I don't want to judge just from a trailer, but I didn't feel like that was the same Strange we'd seen in his own movie.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  12. #1452
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    I'm with you about Spiderman's identity in the movies. I already don't much care what's going to happen in the next Doctor Strange film since it's been turned into a multiverse event story. I 100% don't care what happens to Peter Parker's identity in the film(s). I like Peter Parker well enough as a character but I don't follow the character at all in the comics or the films. As for Gargantos...I don't know why they chose to feature this particular being, unless it's meant to be a teaser for a future Namor appearance of some kind. Marvel never does anything like this randomly. Everything is always a tease for a future product.
    It certainly is a deep cut. I'd like to think it has something to do with Namor, but I've yet to see ANY interest from Feige in Namor. I'm thinking it is the Lemurian connection that is more important, what with the Eternals and the Deviants.

    Alternatively, they may be tying it to Shuma Gorath. Even though they aren't connected in the comic, maybe they will be in the MCU.


    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Gargantos didn't even look like that in comics. I get they change things for movies, but why make him look more like Shuma-Gorath?
    Good point. I'm also intrigued by an actor playing Gargantos???

    Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Hard to say. Perhaps they started mocking up toys and merch with Shuma-Gorath (for Scott Derickson's axed sequel???) but then decided to go with Gargantos as a tie-in to a future Namor appearance, and kept the general appearance so they didn't have to go redraw all their toy tie-in designs. Everybody loves a good tentacle monster!
    LOL! So true!
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  13. #1453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Good point. I'm also intrigued by an actor playing Gargantos???
    I wonder if it's just for voice? I can't imagine motion capture would be too easy when portraying a many tentacled monster.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

  14. #1454
    Dark Dimension Clea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    It certainly is a deep cut. I'd like to think it has something to do with Namor, but I've yet to see ANY interest from Feige in Namor. I'm thinking it is the Lemurian connection that is more important, what with the Eternals and the Deviants.

    Alternatively, they may be tying it to Shuma Gorath. Even though they aren't connected in the comic, maybe they will be in the MCU.




    Good point. I'm also intrigued by an actor playing Gargantos???



    LOL! So true!
    Good point about the Gargantos being a possible tie-in to the Eternals movie. I haven't see that so I tend to forget that it even exists.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

  15. #1455
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Hard to say. Perhaps they started mocking up toys and merch with Shuma-Gorath (for Scott Derickson's axed sequel???) but then decided to go with Gargantos as a tie-in to a future Namor appearance, and kept the general appearance so they didn't have to go redraw all their toy tie-in designs. Everybody loves a good tentacle monster!
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I wonder if it's just for voice? I can't imagine motion capture would be too easy when portraying a many tentacled monster.
    I imagine so ... unless they are making Gargantos some sort of shapeshifter???

    The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to think Gargantos in the MCU might be like a baby Shuma-Gorath?


    Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Good point about the Gargantos being a possible tie-in to the Eternals movie. I haven't see that so I tend to forget that it even exists.
    I saw it. Definitely setting up some stuff. I don't recall much magic stuff though.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •