Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 1630

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm fine with quips when it fits the character. I can even see Strange as a man of humor and whimsy. But he's not a quipper in my opinion.
    I agree with you regarding the comics version of Strange but not about the MCU version. MCU Strange is clearly quippy because that's what the MCU execs and writers want him to be. Pretty much all of the MCU characters are quippy, whether it makes sense or not. It makes them all end up sounding identical, but that's okay. It's part of the MCU brand. Fans like the nonstop snarky humor in these films. They expect it, and it adds to their enjoyment of the movie experience, so why not? Sure, it ends up making MCU Stephen Strange sound exactly like every single other MCU character, but I think that is what a lot of fans want to see in these films. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Well, I just think the humor of the MCU movies/shows make the characters more realistic to me. In my life of watching television, there have been really only TWO fictional characters that have really captured my imagination: Al Calavicci (played by the late, great Dean Stockwell) from Quantum Leap and Lennie Briscoe from Law & Order. Al from Quantum Leap was very special to me because I was named after him (his full name was Albert). Actually that's a lie. In fact, Quantum Leap debuted eight years after I was born so my claim to be named after Al CAN'T BE TRUE. All kidding aside, the reason why I liked them both so much is because they were funny. Hilarious in fact. I think that's why I've always been drawn to humor in science fiction AND procedurals. And now superhero movies/shows are adopting humor with great success as well. I wish I had some video clips to share of Al cracking jokes, but there aren't any up on YouTube for some reason. I don't know why NBC are such dicks about this. They have no problem letting Law & Order clips be shared online:

Al and Lennie were popular because of their jokes. Tony Stark, Thor and Strange are popular because of their wisecracks as well. I don't think it's a great idea to make EVERYBODY joke machines in the MCU, but the more famous ones ARE the funnier ones in my opinion. I wouldn't say everybody in the MCU are jokesters. The female superheroes hardly do ANY wisecracking! Ever since Whedon left, the Avengers movies became less funny and I lament that greatly. From what I've heard, NWH's humor is pretty cringe. I just feel the MCU's writers now are not as skilled as those from Quantum Leap and Law & Order when it comes to one-liners.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 12-30-2021 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    That's really not true. I mean, compare MCU!Thor to the Kirby or Simonson versions, and they are apples & oranges.

(If anything, the movie version is more like 616!Hercules)
    I was speaking overall about fantasy aspects of characters, not the finer details of accuracy. They still have super powers. Some are still gods, aliens, monsters. It's not like the MCU turned them all into powerless humans in a universe with barely any fantastical elements.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Oh my gosh. Over on Twitter, Jed MacKay said he's using Kaecilius in the Death of Doctor Strange mini-series because Kaecilius was in Strange Tales and he had an awesome mustache, not because he is in the MCU. It's true, Kaecilius did have a hilarious mustache back in the day. Look at the picture he posted in his Twitter: https://twitter.com/jedmackay/status...964915203?s=20 It's so amazing.

You know, this just makes me admire MacKay even more. Imagine picking a character just because of the character's amazing facial hair. LOL LOL LOL! Kaecilius was a second rate loser minion AND he did truly have an awesome, ridiculous mustache.
    Last edited by Clea; 12-30-2021 at 11:14 PM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    You know, this just makes me admire MacKay even more. Imagine picking a character just because of the character's amazing facial hair. LOL LOL LOL! Kaecilius was a second rate loser minion AND he did truly have an awesome, ridiculous mustache.
    He should have kept the mustache.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

I have truly enjoyed MacKay's writing on the DoDS mini, and also in the Timeless issue that I bought today. I will probably go buy a couple issues of his Black Cat book to try that out over this upcoming weekend. When I find a writer that I like, I very happy to pick up new books they've written even if I'm not familiar with the characters. That goes for artists, too. The opposite is also true. I'll drop books with characters that I do like, if I dislike the writing. I stopped being a 'completist' reader/collector of any title or character ages ago. If the writing is good but the art is mediocre or bad, I'll usually grit my teeth and keep reading the book. So much of the story is conveyed through the images though, that reading poorly drawn books can be a real chore.
    His two Black Cat runs were pretty good. Also, I'd highly recommend his Taskmaster mini. Based on these books, I think next year's Strange ongoing will be in good hands.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Ahahaha! He totally should have kept this insane mustache. It's fantastic. I was rooting for Plotnick to be the killer because Plotnick amused me so much, but honestly, this mustache just rules. It's totally the mustache of a sleazy Strange Tales murderer.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    His two Black Cat runs were pretty good. Also, I'd highly recommend his Taskmaster mini. Based on these books, I think next year's Strange ongoing will be in good hands.
    Thanks! I will pick these up books. I see he's also writing Moon Knight. I'll get those, too. Spector is an interesting character.

I am looking forward to the Strange book. I love Clea as a character so much, and I'm delighted that he will be writing her in this new title.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Just dropping in to wish everyone a happy and safe New Year!

Thanks! I will pick these up books. I see he's also writing Moon Knight. I'll get those, too. Spector is an interesting character.

I am looking forward to the Strange book. I love Clea as a character so much, and I'm delighted that he will be writing her in this new title.
    I'll second the Taskmaster recommendation. He's not a character I had the least interest in, but it was fun and engaging mini-series.

Also looking forward to seeing Clea with her own mini-series!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

No argument there.