1 1.72%
  • Destiny Gonzalez

2 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Default Runaways Appreciation 2021

New year, new thread;

Created by Brian K. Vaughan, and Adrian Alphona in 2003 for Marvel's short lived "Tsunami" imprint, Runaways was an interesting book based on a simple idea. "Everyone at some point thinks their parents are evil. What if they actually are?"

Six upper-class teenagers whose families have known each other their entire lives discover one evening that their parents were supervillains, and a part of an apocalyptic cult called "The Pride." Using tools, and abilities inherited from their families the teenagers go on the run to take their parents down, being framed for murder/kidnapping in the process.

While they eventually succeed, they ultimately choose to continue their truant lifestyles, and protect Los Angeles from evil doers as nameless vigilantes. They would later be known more formally as the...

2020 was a mixed year for the team. With no longer having a TV series, and a global pandemic reducing the number of published issues significantly; The future looked grim for a while, but by all appearances we're still on the road to legacy issue #100. It's about damn time.

The previous thread can be found here for now.

What was your favourite Runaways moment from 2020?
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Happy New Year to the Runaways and their fans .

I'm just happy Runaways us coming back. I really didn't think it would after the extended break. Here's hoping it stays in print for a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    I'm just happy Runaways us coming back. I really didn't think it would after the extended break. Here's hoping it stays in print for a long while.
    Runaways seems to have some kind of protective ward cast upon it. At least long enough for it to hit the Legacy issue #100. Can't complain after a dry spell that lasted nearly a decade.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Extraordinary Member

Shouldn’t Molly be at Gert’s original age by now?

She's definitely at least a year too young, considering how much Miles and Kamala must've aged up recently (both had relatives go through full term pregnancies, thus pretty much aging them up a year). And bear in mind how long the Runaways were around before those two even debuted. I'm pretty sure that both Kate Bishop and X-23 have aged up about four years since their debuts, which were around the same time as the Runaways.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It's been shown I think Gert's death and revival was around 2-3 years?

Yes, the new volume established that Gert died roughly two years before it started. Could be a little more, could be a little less. After all the entirety of Runaways up to the point of Gert's death is heavily suggested to be less than Six Months. The suggested ages in the current volume seem to indicate it as such in any case. Chase was 17 when the series started, he's currently 20. Nico, and Karolina were 16, and are now 18. Molly was 11, and is now 13. Gert was 15 going on 16 originally, and is now 16. Alex was 16, and is now permanently so. Victor is a robot who was dead for a while, so he's whatever.

Relative aging between titles has never made sense for any reason other than coincidence. The YA, NXM, Champions, Miles Morales or others aging in their own books has virtually no weight on other characters. The 4 for 1 sliding timeline isn't actually real.

I try not to pay attention to ages in comic books it makes my head hurt. In my eyes all the teen characters from the 2000's are in their early 20's like Laura/X-23.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

RUNAWAYS #35
    RAINBOW ROWELL (W) • ANDRES GENOLET (A)
    Cover by KRIS ANKA
    Come Away With Me” Part 4!
    Wolverine and Pixie’s guest-stint on RUNAWAYS comes to a close, but does this mean Molly Hayes time as a Runaway does too?
    And Nico made a rough decision that she’s going to pay for this issue.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Oh yeah, it's been so long I had completely forgotten about their being a spirit in the Staff of One.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh yeah, it's been so long I had completely forgotten about their being a spirit in the Staff of One.
    Yeah, been a while since it seemed relevant. Glad to see that something is coming though, a decision that bad requires a consequence or two. Type Two diabetics bleed more than she ever had to.

Ah, rad. Didn't realize it was out next week. Looking good. Hopefully these next few issues get a little plot moving.

For some reason I wasn't expecting Logan, and Pixie to show up in costume. Feels like this would be a civvies situation.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 01-28-2021 at 03:10 PM.

Looks like Marvel is promoting the new issue tomorrow with mediocre motion graphics. Weird seeing Pixie hang out with a witch even less qualified than she is.