Page 53 of 109 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

Watch it be a metaphorical death :P

Spectacular Member

Again a pictures puta-clic XD
    I am too weak to resist. This promo track my attention.

But generally it strange to do that. Why kill him ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post
    Again a pictures puta-clic XD
    I am too weak to resist. This promo track my attention.

But generally it strange to do that. Why kill him ?
    Assuming this story will be centered around Strange “dying” so someone else can step into his role as Sorcerer Supreme, it’s probably because he’s the only tent pole franchise in the MCU that doesn’t have a diverse legacy to pick up his mantle. Tony’s got War Machine, Steve has Falcon, Thor has Jane-Thor, T’Challa has Shuri, and Carol has Ms. Marvel/Spectrum.

The closest you get for Strange is maybe Brother Voodoo (who held the mantle a few years back) but we already got Blade and FalCap on the way so I suspect they probably won’t have another straight black male become the next Sorcerer Supreme. Plus Voodoo isn’t really a part of the Doctor Strange mythos so his claim isn’t that strong. Marvel’s all about the long game so whoever gets the mantle after this storyline and gets to play with it for 1-3 years will probably end up holding down the next Doctor Strange trilogy.

Fantastic Member

Magik for Sorcerer Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    So, after years of Marvel writers sticking Strange in an endless loop of depower/repower, I guess they've finally found something new to do with him: kill him! Hahahaha! Considering the pending release of the next Doctor Strange film, I doubt they'll kill him off for good. He's died before. No one ever dies for good in Marvel.
    And it is not like he hasn't died before. He died in Doctor Strange #4 (October 1974). He made everybody believe he died in Strange Tales #3 (1987). He died in Guardians of the Galaxy #36 (May 1993). For a Sorcerer Supreme, death is a little thing.

"Death is the Time Lord equivalent of 'man flu'."
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Assuming this story will be centered around Strange “dying” so someone else can step into his role as Sorcerer Supreme, it’s probably because he’s the only tent pole franchise in the MCU that doesn’t have a diverse legacy to pick up his mantle. Tony’s got War Machine, Steve has Falcon, Thor has Jane-Thor, T’Challa has Shuri, and Carol has Ms. Marvel/Spectrum.

The closest you get for Strange is maybe Brother Voodoo (who held the mantle a few years back) but we already got Blade and FalCap on the way so I suspect they probably won’t have another straight black male become the next Sorcerer Supreme. Plus Voodoo isn’t really a part of the Doctor Strange mythos so his claim isn’t that strong. Marvel’s all about the long game so whoever gets the mantle after this storyline and gets to play with it for 1-3 years will probably end up holding down the next Doctor Strange trilogy.
    Maybe they're setting up Wanda for the role of MCU's Sorcerer Supreme...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

This reeks of a fake out.

That being said, Marvel is really desperate for ideas and I don't think a new Supreme is the answer. Then again, is 1993 again in Marvelland.

I don't think anyone is really all that excited for a "death" storyline one way or another but I guess this is what Marvel does with characters they've run out of ideas with.

I give it 2-3 years before it's back-to-basics again.
    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post

I did kind of assume that the only reason Stephen avoided the super-mega legacy push was because Marvel was promoting him hard because of the movie.

Although I assume we're going to see Voodoo in the MCU at some point because they killed his brother off. Of course I also don't think they're planning ahead that far to do a legacy swap with Strange in the movies, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think anyone is really all that excited for a "death" storyline one way or another but I guess this is what Marvel does with characters they've run out of ideas with.

I give it 2-3 years before it's back-to-basics again.
    Shorter than that, killing your hero as the movie comes out is a sure fire way for the public to not care, then again, this seems like a desperate way to get people to sub to the new series.

New people will be confused and want Stephen.
    Old fans will revolt if a new Supreme fills in.

Basically Marvel Comics is playing with fire and this could bomb hard.

Galaxies Wanderer

My second favorite group/character from Marvel involved in "Death of" titles... sigh
    If this is written by Cates too, I swear...

Extraordinary Member

Looks like Marvel is starting to go the same way as DC in killing off or replacing heroes with legacy characters.

I love Dr Strange. Ever since I was young I always loved his grey sideburns and the fact that he looked liked an ole wizard amongst young heroes.

Not to mention he was created by two legends in the business (Stan Lee & Steve Ditko)

If they kill off Stephen, I will no longer support Dr. Strange, and I will never buy another issue again.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Looks like Marvel is starting to go the same way as DC in killing off or replacing heroes with legacy characters.

I love Dr Strange. Ever since I was young I always loved his grey sideburns and the fact that he looked liked an ole wizard amongst young heroes.

Not to mention he was created by two legends in the business (Stan Lee & Steve Ditko)

If they kill off Stephen, I will no longer support Dr. Strange, and I will never buy another issue again.
    Even if the first issue reveals it's a fake out but you gotta focus on the new Supreme? What if the new SorSup is Wanda?

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    And it is not like he hasn't died before. He died in Doctor Strange #4 (October 1974). He made everybody believe he died in Strange Tales #3 (1987). He died in Guardians of the Galaxy #36 (May 1993). For a Sorcerer Supreme, death is a little thing.

"Death is the Time Lord equivalent of 'man flu'."
    Don't forget, Doom killed him in Secret Wars, too.

I stopped giving a damn about Marvel knocking off their heroes years ago once I realized that they just did it for shock value and sales. Kill someone, let the supporting characters (and fans react), wait a few months, then voilà! The hero returns to life again and after a couple issues everyone forgets the death ever happened. It might make for a nice story in the short term, but knowing that death has no long term meaning in Marvel reduces all the hero death stories to cheap stunts, IMO.

I guess we'll see what they're planning soon. Maybe it's metaphorical Gotcha fans! We just meant that Strange will no longer be a surgeon any more! LOL. Get it? Death of 'doctor' Strange? LOL. Or maybe Marvel will do something novel and actually kill him off permanently. I'd be sad, but also a bit impressed.

In the meantime, I nominate Bats to be the next Sorcerer Supreme. Who better to protect the Earth dimension than man's best friend? Bats! Master of the Mystic Arts, and Best Good Boy. I'd buy that book.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    Even if the first issue reveals it's a fake out but you gotta focus on the new Supreme? What if the new SorSup is Wanda?
    Wanda? Scarlet Witch. I like her a lot, but Scarlet Witch is Scarlet Witch, and Dr Strange is well...Stephen.

I'm a DC guy, who likes select Marvel heroes (Daredevil, Dr. Strange, Wolverine ect) that I pick up if I like the writer, but I'm not really invested in the Marvel Universe as a whole.

Thus if they replace Stephen with a new Dr Strange, it's a different character for me, and I'm just not interested in reading his replacement.