Page 60 of 71 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
Results 886 to 900 of 1059
  1. #886
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    It simply doesn't matter. Call it magic, call it science, call it the love songs of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. As soon as a popular writer needs magic to be something else, whatever explanation/justification they come up with will be ignored.

    For Hoggoth's sake... magic HAD rules. Decent ones, too. It's lazy editors and overrated writers who messed things up.
    I believe you. I don't think you and Clea would even ENJOY Strange as a character if the stories he involved in didn't have "rules". I personally don't mind magic having a scientific basis and I consider Marvel magic to be very "science-y". I mean multiverses and dimensions have foundations in scientific theories right? I'm intrigued with the idea of Stephen being a "horror" character. Olsen and Waldron keep saying how "scary" the MoM is gonna be. I've never considered Doctor Strange's stories to be frightening, just trippy and weird. But I guess you CAN make the argument that horror and fantasy mix REALLY well together. I've actually become more interested in the horror genre myself because of Doctor Strange 2. I LOVE W.W. Jacob's classic short story, the Monkey's Paw. Now that's a tale which proves magic having a price can work VERY well for storytelling purposes:


  2. #887
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,495

    Default

    I do think rules are important in any fantasy/science fiction story. But the less "magic" or "technology" is portrayed in those said stories gives writers of those stories some more flexibility in my opinion. One of my favorite works of fiction is John Cheever's short story "The Enormous Radio". It's not explained at all how that radio was able to allow the Westcosts to listen in on their neighbors' conversations. but it didn't really matter. CBS aired a radio adaptation of the Enormous Radio decades ago, and I really enjoyed it. But due to the times, it had to omit mentions of words like "whore" and "abortionist" which made the story even more compelling:


  3. #888
    Dark Dimension Clea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I agree! Marvel needs to get their stuff together and give us a great ongoing before the movie.
    Strange will be in two different limited series in the run up to the movie, the Defenders and Oh Noes! The Death of Doctor Strange!! (aka Marvel Clue: Who Killed Stephen Strange?)

    Both of those look like they'll wrap up before the film. If Marvel wants to encourage crossover sales from the film fans to the comics, they'd get a new ongoing started right around the film debut. I do wonder how many of the film first fans end up buying the comics after learning about the characters from the films.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

  4. #889
    Dark Dimension Clea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I believe you. I don't think you and Clea would even ENJOY Strange as a character if the stories he involved in didn't have "rules".
    Ah, rules. As has been noted here before, the Marvel magical universe did and still does have rules, when the writers chose to use them. But you know what they say about rules, right?

    When all is said and done, the only rule that matters when telling/selling stories is that the writer tells a story that satisfies the readers. When a writer is working with trademarked characters in a well documented fictional universe that is shared collaboratively with other writers, it behooves that writer to understand what has come before, and what they can and cannot change before their stint on the book is done and they pass the characters on to the next writer.
    1XUyPxck_o.jpg
    Last edited by Clea; 06-18-2021 at 03:48 PM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

  5. #890
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Strange will be in two different limited series in the run up to the movie, the Defenders and Oh Noes! The Death of Doctor Strange!! (aka Marvel Clue: Who Killed Stephen Strange?)

    Both of those look like they'll wrap up before the film. If Marvel wants to encourage crossover sales from the film fans to the comics, they'd get a new ongoing started right around the film debut. I do wonder how many of the film first fans end up buying the comics after learning about the characters from the films.
    Marvel usually tries to have some trades available when a movie hits. We are getting a lot of reprints and omnibus before the movie. I just think a trade of The DEATH of Doctor Strange is ... counter-productive. That said, there's actually not a huge uptick in sales in the comics when the movies hit, generally.

    Personally, I find it depressing that THIS is what we've been waiting for what, a year? Since the end of the Waid run.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  6. #891
    Dark Dimension Clea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Marvel usually tries to have some trades available when a movie hits. We are getting a lot of reprints and omnibus before the movie. I just think a trade of The DEATH of Doctor Strange is ... counter-productive. That said, there's actually not a huge uptick in sales in the comics when the movies hit, generally.

    Personally, I find it depressing that THIS is what we've been waiting for what, a year? Since the end of the Waid run.
    Well, perhaps the DEATH book will be all about how the MU actually can't go on without Doctor Strange because he's irreplaceable, and it will end with solving his murder and bringing him back, to the great rejoicing of all, just in time for the movie to debut. Then after that....who knows.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

  7. #892
    Dark Angel of Feminism Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Otherworld
    Posts
    4,376

    Default

    Strange fans should keep a look out on GotG 15, and the upcoming Final Annihilation crossover.

  8. #893
    Dark Dimension Clea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Strange fans should keep a look out on GotG 15, and the upcoming Final Annihilation crossover.
    Thanks, Shadowcat.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

  9. #894
    Dark Angel of Feminism Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Otherworld
    Posts
    4,376

    Default

    spoilers:
    Dormammu’s the big bad of Last Annihilation
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 06-23-2021 at 03:37 PM.

  10. #895
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Ah, rules. As has been noted here before, the Marvel magical universe did and still does have rules, when the writers chose to use them. But you know what they say about rules, right?

    When all is said and done, the only rule that matters when telling/selling stories is that the writer tells a story that satisfies the readers. When a writer is working with trademarked characters in a well documented fictional universe that is shared collaboratively with other writers, it behooves that writer to understand what has come before, and what they can and cannot change before their stint on the book is done and they pass the characters on to the next writer.

    1XUyPxck_o.jpg
    Yeah, the really talented and gifted writers can certainly get away with "rules" being violated if the stories they're telling are great. I know J.K. Rowling is pretty good at this stuff with her books. I am well-aware that Stan Lee and Steve Ditko understood very well how to tell fun tales without letting things get out of hand. I think that's a REALLY hard thing to do actually. I'm just really excited that Strange is becoming a "horror" character in the MCU. I've never thought of him that way, you know? Too bad they couldn't revive Vincent Price or Christopher Lee to play him. Just kidding, I think Cumberbatch is doing fine. Thanks to the Multiverse of Madness's connection to the horror genre, I'm actually gonna start reading some Shirley Jackson novels very soon. I loved her classic short story the Lottery:



    "The lottery is rife with rules that are arbitrarily followed or disregarded. The intricate rules the villagers follow suggest that the lottery is an efficient, logical ritual and that there is an important purpose behind it, whereas the rules that have lapsed, however, reveal the essential randomness of the lottery’s dark conclusion. Mr. Summers follows an elaborate system of rules for creating the slips of paper and making up the lists of families. When the lottery begins, he lays out a series of specific rules for the villagers, including who should draw slips of paper from the black box and when to open those papers. When someone is unable to draw, the lottery rules determine who should be next in line. At the same time, there are ghosts of rules that have been long forgotten or willfully abandoned altogether, such as those for salutes and songs that accompany Mr. Summer’s induction as the chairman of the lottery. The fact that some rules have remained while others have disappeared underscores the disturbing randomness of the murder at the end of the lottery."

  11. #896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Well, perhaps the DEATH book will be all about how the MU actually can't go on without Doctor Strange because he's irreplaceable, and it will end with solving his murder and bringing him back, to the great rejoicing of all, just in time for the movie to debut. Then after that....who knows.
    I don't see the Death in Death of Sr Strange being permanent, or whatever passes for a "permanent" death in comics. I'm reasonably sure there are proposals for Dr Strange series out there and another volume may be ready for the movie's release. I am hoping the Death mini is a good story.
    Why yes, I do enjoy hearing myself talk. it is very kind of you to notice>

  12. #897
    Dark Dimension Clea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    spoilers:
    Dormammu’s the big bad of Last Annihilation
    end of spoilers
    This could be a lot of fun.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

  13. #898
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,476

    Default

    Joe Quinones variant cover for Defenders 2.



    https://twitter.com/Joe_Quinones/sta...617743877?s=20
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  14. #899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Strange fans should keep a look out on GotG 15, and the upcoming Final Annihilation crossover.
    hmm.. if Stephen were to be part of a galaxy-traveling team of heroes for a while, I wouldn't mind.

  15. #900
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Strange fans should keep a look out on GotG 15, and the upcoming Final Annihilation crossover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    spoilers:
    Dormammu’s the big bad of Last Annihilation
    end of spoilers

    And we don't have Dr Strange on this? Hmmmm. Yet, Ewing is also doing the Doctor Strange Defenders book. Hmmmmm.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •