Page 105 of 109 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 1630

I'm trying to decide if I should re-read the first three issues of Death of Doctor Strange so that I can come up with yet another theory about who killed Stephen Strange, or just give up now and be pleasantly surprised when I read issue #4 tomorrow and discover that the murderer is someone blindingly obvious who I completely overlooked. Hmmm.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    I'm trying to decide if I should re-read the first three issues of Death of Doctor Strange so that I can come up with yet another theory about who killed Stephen Strange, or just give up now and be pleasantly surprised when I read issue #4 tomorrow and discover that the murderer is someone blindingly obvious who I completely overlooked. Hmmm.
    I'm still voting on Silver Dagger.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I'm still voting on Silver Dagger.
    It could be! LOL. So long as it's not Bats, I'm cool with whoever it turns out to be. I hope they don't sneak an MCU variant character in as a way to do stealth marketing for the MCU products, though. That would make me sad. I still want it to be Plotnick because the idea that this random one-shot character from decades ago could be the killer just amuses me so much. Plus, in my head I've given Plotnick Peter Lorre's voice, so when I read his couple of lines in issue #1 and imagine Peter Lorre speaking, it cracks me up even more. (Yes, I know that's weird, but ever since I reimaged this series as Marvel Clue months ago, I haven't been able to take it too seriously.)
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

I still want it to be Plotnick because the idea that this random one-shot character from decades ago could be the killer just amuses me so much. Plus, in my head I've given Plotnick Peter Lorre's voice, so when I read his couple of lines in issue #1 and imagine Peter Lorre speaking, it cracks me up even more. (Yes, I know that's weird, but ever since I reimaged this series as Marvel Clue months ago, I haven't been able to take it too seriously.)
    Plotnick has actually shown up several times: http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/mrrasp.htm

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Ugh. The reveal was so anticlimactic, but the lead up to it was fun. I really love MacKay’s Bats.

Plotnick has actually shown up several times: http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/mrrasp.htm
    Oh wow. I don't remember any of those appearances other than the time he showed up and tried to murder Strange back in Strange Tales. I suppose he's still random enough that it would be amusing if he turned out to be the killer. Still, it's not nearly as fun as imagining that he showed up one time, tried to murder Strange, then waited 50+ years to show up and try again. Drat. ... perhaps it was Bats! Bad dog! (Just kidding. Bats is a good boy. He'd never murder Doctor Strange... or would he?)
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Oh wow. I don't remember any of those appearances other than the time he showed up and tried to murder Strange back in Strange Tales. I suppose he's still random enough that it would be amusing if he turned out to be the killer. Still, it's not nearly as fun as imagining that he showed up one time, tried to murder Strange, then waited 50+ years to show up and try again. Drat. ... perhaps it was Bats! Bad dog! (Just kidding. Bats is a good boy. He'd never murder Doctor Strange... or would he?)
    I remember all of this stuff.

I remember all of this stuff.
    That's awesome! I'm afraid that I've blurred together many stories, and forgotten a good chunk more. Which is not all bad, mind you, because I can re-read issues I haven't read for years and be pleased with the story all over again.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

I don't know if the killer will be revealed in this issue, I think MacKay might reveal the new Sorcerer Supreme in Issue 4 (a reveal now spoiled by Marvel) and reveal the murderer in Issue 5.

But when I read Death of Doctor Strange 3 a few weeks ago, my thinking was that the murderer was most likely Kaecilius.
    We know four things about the murderer:

1 - The killer was someone Stephen recognized but Strange was not too concerned upon seeing him.
    2 - The Eye of Agamotto and the Cloak of Levitation were stolen from the corpse (and later found in Castle Mordo), with fakes left behind on the crime scene.
    3 - The killer borrowed power from Aggamon, Tiboro, Umar and Dagoth to pull off the murder.
    4 - The killer stole Doctor Strange's hands.

Now, Classic Doctor Strange seemed to believe that these signs pointed to Mordo, but from a whodunit perspective I think that he's just a red herring.
    Mordo seemed to be terrified on the last page of DoDS 3, and I think this is because he found the Eye and Cloak in his castle and realizes that Strange will be coming for him.

Kaecilius fits most of these points well.

Here's my thinking:
    Before DoDS, Kaecilius was (I believe) last seen in Al Ewing's Valkyrie, where he was still trapped in the Purple Dimension (a fact that was brought up in conversation during DoDS 2 to remind readers).
    So MacKay has made a conscious effort to get him out of there for this event.
    Strange was surprised to see Kaecilius on his doorstep because he thought him still trapped in the Purple Dimension, but was not concerned because he also thought him weak.
    Kaecilius managed to defeat Strange with the combined powers of Aggamon, Tiboro, Umar and Dagoth.
    Mordo is unlikely to make a deal with these entities for power, as he already gets a lot of powers from Dormammu. But Kaecilius is weak and has little in the way of options.
    Aggamon is the Lord of the Purple Dimension, where Kaecilius was formerly imprisoned.

Here's a possible scenario:
    Aggamon gets news that the Peregrine Child and his Three Mothers are moving across the dimensions, consuming all magic users.
    Aggamon makes a pact with Umar, Dagoth and Tiboro to save themselves by taking their kingdoms to Earth (where the Avengers will finish off the Peregrine Child for them).
    One problem - the Sorcerer Supreme will not allow this migration to happen.
    To this end, Aggamon frees Kaecilius (a prisoner in his lands) and all four of the Warlords imbue Kaecilius with power and task him to kill Doctor Strange.
    Kaecilius goes to Earth and poses as Mordo's lowly servant again. When the opportunity arises, he kills Doctor Strange, allowing the Warlords to bring their kingdoms to Earth.
    However, Kaecilius has ulterior motives so he steals the Eye, the Cloak and Strange's hands in order to betray the Warlords somehow at a later point.
    Unbeknownst to Kaecilius, a past version of Doctor Strange arrives at the crime scene to solve the murder.
    Now Kaecilius needs a patsy to throw Strange and Clea off his scent - so he hides the Eye and the Cloak in Castle Mordo, knowing that they will suspect Mordo and attack him instead, buying Kaecilius time to do whatever he wanted to do with Strange's hands.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post
    I don't know if the killer will be revealed in this issue, I think MacKay might reveal the new Sorcerer Supreme in Issue 4 (a reveal now spoiled by Marvel) and reveal the murderer in Issue 5.

But when I read Death of Doctor Strange 3 a few weeks ago, my thinking was that the murderer was most likely Kaecilius.

1 - The killer was someone Stephen recognized but Strange was not too concerned upon seeing him.
    2 - The Eye of Agamotto and the Cloak of Levitation were stolen from the corpse (and later found in Castle Mordo), with fakes left behind on the crime scene.
    3 - The killer borrowed power from Aggamon, Tiboro, Umar and Dagoth to pull off the murder.

Now, Classic Doctor Strange seemed to believe that these signs pointed to Mordo, but from a whodunit perspective I think that he's just a red herring.
    Mordo seemed to be terrified on the last page of DoDS 3, and I think this is because he found the Eye and Cloak in his castle and realizes that Strange will be coming for him.

Here's my thinking:
    Before DoDS, Kaecilius was (I believe) last seen in Al Ewing's Valkyrie, where he was still trapped in the Purple Dimension (a fact that was brought up in conversation during DoDS 2 to remind readers).
    Strange was surprised to see Kaecilius on his doorstep because he thought him still trapped in the Purple Dimension, but was not concerned because he also thought him weak.
    Kaecilius managed to defeat Strange with the combined powers of Aggamon, Tiboro, Umar and Dagoth.
    Mordo is unlikely to make a deal with these entities for power, as he already gets a lot of powers from Dormammu. But Kaecilius is weak and has little in the way of options.
    Aggamon is the Lord of the Purple Dimension, where Kaecilius was formerly imprisoned.

Aggamon gets news that the Peregrine Child and his Three Mothers are moving across the dimensions, consuming all magic users.
    Aggamon makes a pact with Umar, Dagoth and Tiboro to save themselves by taking their kingdoms to Earth (where the Avengers will finish off the Peregrine Child for them).
    To this end, Aggamon frees Kaecilius (a prisoner in his lands) and all four of the Warlords imbue Kaecilius with power and task him to kill Doctor Strange.
    Kaecilius goes to Earth and poses as Mordo's lowly servant again. When the opportunity arises, he kills Doctor Strange, allowing the Warlords to bring their kingdoms to Earth.
    However, Kaecilius has ulterior motives so he steals the Eye, the Cloak and Strange's hands in order to betray the Warlords somehow at a later point.
    Unbeknownst to Kaecilius, a past version of Doctor Strange arrives at the crime scene to solve the murder.
    Now Kaecilius needs a patsy to throw Strange and Clea off his scent - so he hides the Eye and the Cloak in Castle Mordo, knowing that they will suspect Mordo and attack him instead, buying Kaecilius time to do whatever he wanted to do with Strange's hands.

Thoughts?
    I thought they were going to do the murderer reveal in issue #4, but you're probably correct that they'll do that in issue #5. And, as you say, Marvel has already spoiled the reveal of the next Sorcerer Supreme so we got to learn that via Marvel marketing instead of through the story. Pity. You're right that the killer absolutely could be Kaecilius. I always write him off as being a loser because he was always a second rate character in the comics, but he did learn a lot of new magic while he was trapped in the Purple Dimension. It would be pretty awesome if he killed Strange and set up Mordo to take the fall for it. He would also be familiar to MCU fans because he was in the first film, so fans who came to the comics via the movie would recognize him and not be surprised if he turned out to be the killer. I wonder if Kaecilius is going to be one of the many variant characters we see in the next Doctor Strange film? Having him turn out to be the killer here in this comic would be a nice reminder about his role in both stories, comic and film(s).
    If I recall correctly, he was freed from the Purple Dimension back in that issue of Valkyrie: Jane Foster, so he would have been around to get his revenge. He's not nearly as amusing a suspect as poor Plotnick, but he's a very possible candidate indeed. You've convinced me! Now I'm voting for Kaecilius! Sorry Plotnick!
    Last edited by Clea; 12-28-2021 at 11:13 PM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Extraordinary Member

Ignore, double post

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post

Here's my thinking:

Thoughts?
    spoilers:
    Congratulations, you're a prophet
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    spoilers:
    Congratulations, you're a prophet
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, now that I look at it from the perspective of Marvel marketing, it absolutely makes sense that Kaecilius is the killer. Of course they'd pick a villain who has a history with Strange in the comics, but who is also very familiar to the MCU fans. I think alanyoung909 nailed it. Of course now if I view this series as a sort of stealth marketing/tie-in for the MCU, I wonder if Clea's appearance here means that she'll also be in the next film, as many have speculated. I will now assume that the answer is yes, she will be among the bazillions of characters set to appear in the next movie.
    end of spoilers
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Strange movie synopsis on the official Marvel Japanese website:

"The door of the multiverse, full of mystery and madness, opens. Now that Iron Man and Captain America have left after a fierce battle in Avengers: Endgame, former genius surgeon and the strongest magician of them all, Doctor Strange, is expected to play an active role as a central figure in the Avengers. However, using his magic to manipulate time and space at will with a forbidden spell that is considered the most dangerous has opened the door to a mysterious madness called “the Multiverse.” To restore a world where everything is changing, Strange seeks help from his ally Wong, the Sorcerer Supreme, and the Avengers’ most powerful Scarlet Witch, Wanda. But a terrible threat looms over humanity and the entire universe that no longer can be done by their power alone. Even more surprising, the greatest threat in the universe looks exactly like Doctor Strange…"

https://marvel.disney.co.jp/movie/dr...ge2/about.html
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Default Death of Doctor Strange #4 spoilers

The killer's identity is revealed. It was not Bats.
    spoilers:
    Kaecilius was the killer. Alanyoung909 was correct. Turns out that Kaecilius was angry with both Strange and Mordo, He willingly allied himself with the four evil warlords who arrived on earth earlier in the series. He and they each knew that none them could take down Stephen Strange individually, but by combining their magic together, they could kill him. Kaecilius also hated his one time master Mordo, because Mordo never once tried to rescue him from the Purple Dimension, so he framed Mordo for the murder.

Blue Cloak Strange figured out who the murderer was thanks to a handy comment from Bats (the very best of Best Good Dogs) that steered Strange to the right conclusion, so thank goodness Bats asked to go for walkies and they had a moment to chat. There was also a nice scene between Strange and Clea when he was having a grand meltdown because he was wrong about Mordo and stuck in a future world that he didn't understand and OMG what will he do now and who could the murderer be and Oh Noes! He'll never figure it out!!!! Etc. She kissed him on the cheek and told him that she believed in him, and then ever so sweetly and obliquely told him to get his sh*t together and figure it out because even if he was a fragment from the past, he was still Stephen Strange who believed that he could fix anything, so he should stop his whining and get back to work. I do so appreciate the way that Jed MacKay writes Clea in this story. He really understands her.

So now the stage is set for the exciting conclusion. All the remaining warlords are gathered together in Umar's fabulous palace in Antarctica, along with Strange who has two Sorcerer Supremes with him, Clea (Dark Dimension) and Illyana (Limbo). Outside the gates, the Three Mothers, the Peregrine Child, and a whole bunch of random penguins are gathering for the final battle. The penguins lend the scene a rather adorable 'At the Mountains of Madness' vibe, but they're probably just hanging around wondering if someone will give them a fish.

Another fun issue in what has been a truly delightful series. I'm not surprised that all of my previous guesses about the identity of the murderer were wrong. Kaecilius isn't nearly as amusing to me as poor Plotnick, nor as fun as Mordo, but he is just enough of a second rate weasel to sell himself out to a bunch of evil mystical warlords for a moment of glory and sweet revenge. It would be pretty awesome if Kaecilius gets eaten by the Peregrine Child in the next issue.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Clea; 12-29-2021 at 08:07 AM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.